Spider-Man PS4

Aug 18

Aug 18

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even more intuitive to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 40

xContagious said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

3.00 is a waste nothing great about it.

RandySore said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

Cool Update, Something I dislike was Premium Avatars. Seriously? Thanks for the clock/battery fix. Great Update for casual gamers, still no important features for hardcore.

Darth-Krayt said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

Here’s my feedback. Great update. I’m excited for animated backgrounds. I really hope the custom theme creator supports this. Because while I want animated backgrounds, I won’t pay for them.

I love being able to instantly stream pulse. Downloading it annoys me kinda because it’s usually kinda old info anyway. Now I just watch it in Home. I’ll watch it as an instant stream though. Nice

As for cross game voice chat….don’t listen to these people, PLEASE. I request that you NEVER add cross game chat because that is the main reason there’s so many more people lagging about online on Xbox Live. Whenever people are using cross game chat on there, they lag. People are only asking for it cuz Xbox has it. It’s a waste of bandwidth.

If you ever add cross game chat, PLKEASE restrict it to if you’re playing offline ONLY.

HouseMorton said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

lol @ “premium avatars”. Seriously?

dragonleader33 said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

Really liking this update way to go Sony!

necronzero said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

“We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.”

IF YOU DO, GIVE US IN GAME AUDIO/VIDEO CHAT NAO!

Zonified said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

HAHA! Another rumor that become true. Sony, you aren’t very secretive now are you? :P

Fatal_Bullet said:

August 18th, 10:31 am

PS3 Slim confirmed

PyramidHeadd said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

Awesome. Now if you only added more avatars :p

spunnups said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

Premium Avatars = Fail- This is why I hate XBL
No Cross Game Chat = Fail, but I can live without it for now

Otherwise a good update. When does it go live?

bnz99 said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

Yawn, are you guys serious? This is just another totally uninspired firmware update. This really feels like Sony is desperately trying to give the users updates without introducing anything significant new that could in fact be useful or something to rave about. Is this on purpose or do they seriously have no idea how to improve it properly?

xContagious said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

i dont see any new features just old ones with new looks…

DoomnY said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

where are: BC ps2, mp3 ingame, cross voice chat?

heatseeker said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

Pretty update! BUT ARGH!!! I WISH WE HAVE IN-GAME VOICE CHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gelfling said:

August 18th, 10:32 am

Three words: Private Voice Chat.

Please, please, please get voice chat working in an isolated channel, not dependent on having to play the same game. If Microsoft can do it, you sure as hell should be able to as well!

TuxBobble said:

August 18th, 10:33 am

Eric, can I make a suggestion?

Add to the “What’s New?” section a patch list. Check the Game Data on my PS3’s HDD, to see what games I’ve got installed. In What’s New, have an update for when each of those games gets patched.

So, if LittleBigPlanet gets patched, for instance, and I haven’t put the disc in since a month or two ago, have What’s New TELL ME that LBP has been patched, which gives me more inclination to check out the new patch and see what’s changed. Also, maybe centralize patch notes for developers here. This would allow them to offer exactly what we should expect from a patch, and alert us to a patch’s availability.

(This would have helped a lot for SOCOM, which was very broken at the start, but is getting better now–patch notes/notification would get more people playing after a longer period of inactivity!)

PhillyManOfSteel said:

August 18th, 10:33 am

I hope Firmware 3.00 brings more Codec support!!!

Divx 7 (MKV)
.mov for HD Quicktime trailers
And more WMV support!

EDD_9012 said:

August 18th, 10:33 am

u guys are awesome!!! i luved what you guys did to the XMB! but we still need partys and cross game chat if you could do those that would be amazing!! but nonetheless you guys are doing a great job keep it up

MrOlympiaSC said:

August 18th, 10:33 am

When will you people understand that the PS3 should be about gaming?

DeathGazer said:

August 18th, 10:33 am

Animated themes and clock/battery/info board fixes makes this an awesome update.

safil said:

August 18th, 10:34 am

yeah, ps3 slim finally confirmed for 1st week of september…

Theshadowrunner said:

August 18th, 10:34 am

Hello,
Please add an option to remove overscan off PS2 games.
On a Sony HDTV with “Full Pixel” mode enabled, PS1 & PS3 games are fullscreen but PS2 games have black bars on top & bottom.

A feature to remove overscan off PS2 games would allow to display them fullscreen. (no black bars).

Thanks for considering this feature.

TSR

wangchung22 said:

August 18th, 10:34 am

So when do we get party chat/system. We NEED this more then ANY other feature that has or will be added. Without it the system is broken. My friends and I have to open up iChat and talk on there so we don’t have to listen or talk with anyone else… kind of a pain in the butt and eats up band width!

PLEASE ADD THIS! It’s all I want for ANY update!

DA_SHREDDER said:

August 18th, 10:35 am

I agree Spirit Thief. They added more Icons and for what? So retards can find the playstation store a little easier? Dont get me wrong. I welcome any additions to the psn like the dynamic themes and what not. But to keep adding more and more garbage, and skip out the meat and potatoes of online gaming in inexcusable.

You guys at Sony should be embarrassed that its taken you guys this long and have yet to even announce that your working on Cross game chat. At least tell us that its not coming so we aren’t sitting here getting even more upset with every update that comes up. Its as easy as submitting a comment stating that your working on it but you just dont know how long its gonna take. Is it really that hard to say?

Is it really worth getting everyone upset every time we get let down? Its feels like christmas and only getting clothes from Santa. You guys at Sony are pissing me off. I would seriously love to meet you and slap the crap out of you guys at Sony. As a matter of fact, I give up now. You dudes at Sony fail at customer satisfaction.

archangel717 said:

August 18th, 10:35 am

I don’t think this is a bad update, but cross-game chat should be your biggest priority. I’m not sure why it’s taken you so long to figure this out. This is why I prefer to game online with the 360.

VESPER-2079 said:

August 18th, 10:35 am

What I really like is…

– Info box in the upper right
– New avatars (I cant believe they’re actually gonna add new ones)

Would like to have scene the profile card get more pertinent and non-redundant information but hey… I’ll just wait for v4.0.

PyramidHeadd said:

August 18th, 10:35 am

Nvm lol

KPDC1 said:

August 18th, 10:36 am

best update so far when will it be released?
abit sad theres still no cross game voice chat :(

Irishmandkg said:

August 18th, 10:36 am

Failed again…

j0k3r92 said:

August 18th, 10:37 am

nice but still want cross game voice chat

Lemondish said:

August 18th, 10:37 am

I thought Sony blocked 3 hours for a press conference today, but I hear from the eu blog it’s pretty much over.

What gives?

mony24 said:

August 18th, 10:37 am

What about cross game chat and video messages ????????

davivman said:

August 18th, 10:38 am

Great news! I hope somebody is working on PS2 backwards compatability though.

ShadowPelican said:

August 18th, 10:38 am

CROSS-GAME CHAT???

Irishmandkg said:

August 18th, 10:38 am

Voice chat is all i care about. Bc would be nice as well. Another sucky update.

Dragonzblaze said:

August 18th, 10:39 am

omg amazing i love ps3 keep coming with new awesome features

Erniejpan said:

August 18th, 10:39 am

The biggest news for me was the Slim and the animated themes.

are the premium avatars animated?

btw inb4 xgamechat whinners

KUZY_3 said:

August 18th, 10:39 am

can you add a feature where you can have a private chat with a friend while playing a game. that would be great! nice update!

s_S-killaz336 said:

August 18th, 10:41 am

In the downloaded games folder we should be able to press triangle on the game and they should have a icon that says trophies and when we click it we should be able to see the trophies for that particular game.. Nice update anyway. Hope you guys take my idea

Gringo234 said:

August 18th, 10:41 am

Ok where’s voice chat?

TakiFuGu said:

August 18th, 10:41 am

The dynamic themes was the best thing about this update. Nothing truly serious though. The FW update is only okay, nothing to go crazy about.

Gringo234 said:

August 18th, 10:41 am

In game voice chat

Gothdom said:

August 18th, 10:41 am

great update!

I hope somebody at sony will read this: can we have new music visualisation modes? like Milk for winamp? and some new creative stuff. I like the earth thing but it’s been awhile since this was updated.

Superstrokey1123 said:

August 18th, 10:42 am

Very very impressive. Well done.

inveigle said:

August 18th, 10:42 am

I think the design is fairly disappointing.

XZUMER said:

August 18th, 10:42 am

I still wish they would make the ability to mute the game launch icons or at least put an option to level them off like a tv does for loud commercials. It is bad for developers too, because I delete demos that are too loud.

SirTrigalot said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

GooieGreen said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

Nice, but cross game voice chat, and PS2 BC isn’t mentioned, so I’m sort of bummed.

And since the Slim is official, I don’t care if you emulate PS2 BC again on it ’cause I’m not buying another console.

IanSempai said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

No B/C for PS2 games?! WTF?

KSPRAYDAD said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

What’s New section looks like an AWESOME place for SONY to start running ads on my XMB.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 40