Paragon

Aug 18

Aug 18

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even more intuitive to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 40

Jeeves_Tremor said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

“Link directly to the Playstation Network video store”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You announce all these wonderful features for the PSN, including the video store…In a region that cannot use the video store.

We are all waiting, some more patiently than others.

Sincerely,

Your “Friends” in Canada and EU.

Takashy87 said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

This has to be the word FW update ever. No one was asking for any of those features…

The only good thing about it are the animated backgrounds… and Sony most probably will ask us for our money to get them…

Plus.. I don’t need to see my avatar with the size of a pixel in the upper left corner.. I know how it looks because I chosen it.. nor do I need to see that I have new messages… I already know that from the pup up MGS that tells me that I received a MSG..

Nor do I need or want to see the PSN Store in all those menus..

And I most definetly don’t want to see those news when I turn on my Ps3.. all I wanna see are my games and preferably the game that I have just inserted the disc …

Screw this FW update… I wish that I could just use the FW that I am now using… but I will be forced to update only because they don’t let use play online w/o the latest FW.. which is awful in this case… :(

mywhitenoise said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

new avatars should be free, we’ve waited almost 3 years.

BlooodyCow said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

@153 Darth-Krayt
If you are goingto b1tch about something, then get your facts straight. Xbox live used Peer-to-peer network connection, that why there is lags on there and not a love of games above 16 players online. 80% of all PS3 online games uses dedicated Servers or have extremely amazing network codes.

KingBroly said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

Of all the leaked information, only one piece of info hasn’t come to pass yet.

bk7894 said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

awesome update and [DELETED] u sony now i have to buy another ps3

[DELETED] uuuu

samuraix98 said:

August 18th, 10:43 am

There better be a way to Stop this Whats New BS. Hopefully a way to at least adjust this section to not pop up on start up and such. I’m in to the themes and moving but the avatars, Really? Ill never change from my pine cone, its all me baby. All I know is that the start up information and menus better be adjustable.

TakiFuGu said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

I expected so much more. We still don’t have new Avatars nor can we use our PS Eye photos as Avatars. We still have to wait after the 3.0 FW update. -.-
Good try but, you guys are over looking the important features us PS3 owners are asking for.

PS3 Slim, Sony’s worse kept secret!

NiavlysUS said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

It looks neat! Except maybe for the box with the info in the upper right corner, it could use a bit more design maybe?

A nice addition to the “What’s New” menu would be RSS Feeds! I think it something easy and quick to load!? I really wish rSS Feeds would be integrated somehow!

Thanks for your good work guys!

mikelaw19 said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

update is disappointing, didn’t address what we wanted, still waiting for in game voice chat

Gothdom said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

P.S.: x-game chat is not easy to implement correctly. Imagine all the cheating that would be done in games, like Socom.

Just sayin’…

Tooevil_BR said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

where is the retrocompatibility?

Pinhead_x said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

Premium avatars? really?
way to milk us Sony.. ridiculous.

mywhitenoise said:

August 18th, 10:44 am

I really dont want to see the PS Store logo in every category, it was fine in the PSN section. Hopefully I have an option to remove it.

ixnine said:

August 18th, 10:45 am

Will there be an option to view the classic version of the XMB, like not having the status bar in the top-right corner or something like that? :/

Tyler_stewart said:

August 18th, 10:45 am

THATS IT?

daxter831 said:

August 18th, 10:45 am

this looks great! but my only question is whether or not there are in-game themes coming out in firmware 3.00? i would be so happy if you guys incorporated this feature within the new update. Thanks for reading!

StrongerThanYou said:

August 18th, 10:45 am

Woah so where is cross game chat or something urgh forget it

jipmg said:

August 18th, 10:45 am

Awsome update

jayrockslife said:

August 18th, 10:46 am

Nice update, but no cross game voice chat yet =[.

hopefully they updated the loading speed of the in-game xmb. its so slow.

Trancepticon said:

August 18th, 10:46 am

I never had any trouble knowing where I am on the XMB…

Could we get “features” to turn some of this new stuff off? Things like the ticker and I’m still waiting for the “turn off trophy messages”.

I think I can live with the start on “What’s new section”…

The whole reason why I loved the XMB in the first place was because it wasn’t filled with advertisement and cluttered windows. You are disturbing my peace, my serenity, my tranquility…

TwinDad said:

August 18th, 10:46 am

Preimum avatars. It seems to be the way Sony is heading. Pay themes and Pay avatars. But the PSN is still free. Yea?!?

spine119 said:

August 18th, 10:46 am

Awesome stuff. Thank god we have new avatars. For those complaining about PS2 bc you should have gotten a ps3 with backward compatibility. I have the old 80 gb with bc and I’ve used it only for God of War and SW Battlefront 2.

Patrickosan said:

August 18th, 10:46 am

Nothing special. For real, is that it?
For now Xbox dashboard is way better…
And You dont even want to compare with them from what I see…
Just some dynamic themes…shame

beta55 said:

August 18th, 10:47 am

Interested.
Impressed.
But regardless, I expected more.
Clan friend list? Didn’t see it.

chriscowboyd said:

August 18th, 10:47 am

When will the ps3 be able to access nested folders like the psp can?

Will we still have to beg for custom soundtrax or will they ever be made mandatory for all ps3 games?

When will the ps3 be able to upscale ps3 games to 1080p like it can do with ps2/ps1 games?

Will the ps3 ever get system wide cross game invites?

kingmuscle said:

August 18th, 10:47 am

lol, nice!!! ps3 slim confirmed!!!! you guys rule

Rude_Sparthan said:

August 18th, 10:47 am

..oh dammit dammiiiiiiit PRIVATE VOICE CHAAAAAAAAT..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dammit!!! say anything!!!!

KSPRAYDAD said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

So…why the heck was PSN down today? Nothing announced at Gamescon should affect PSN in North America.

computerwis5 said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

Nice new looks, but it would really be nice if you added some features such as cross game chat and PS2 BC.

yea_mon93 said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

woot woot!!

krae_man said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

Screw you Sony if Canada gets a Video button and no video store.

Ac3theone said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

now this is very nice

DonnyG said:

August 18th, 10:48 am

That LBP theme is off the hook. Good work today Sony! I’ve already got a 60GB but I’m going to get a slim at the new price point. PSPGo is looking more apealing but that price is still killing it for me.

marcindpol said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

honestly that is [DELETED]!

where is ceoss game invites, voice chat etc.,??????

NewYork214 said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

Looks great cant wait.

heres some suggestions.

1. Gameplay/video audio though Bluetooth HeadPHONES not headset.

2. voice messages. but i know your working on this one already

CartmanLand said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

This sounds like an okay update, some features that are finally being added to improve on the gaming experience. The moving themes look great. I just wanted cross-game chat and bc with ps2 titles, hopefully these two features will be next firmware update 3.10, maybe?

Menchi said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

Where on earth is Cross-Game voice chat? Seriously, it is easily one of the most, if not the most, requested features for -any- PS3 owner.

It is simply that wanted, and Sony consistently ignores the demand for it.

These updates are nice, but if you’ve been going on near a year without adding some crucial features, it really begs the question, why?

ironduck12345678 said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

Ok, some good things many needless and some not so good things.

1. Movin themes= great

2.Store icon everywere= Bad, unneeded

3.Whats new thing=good

4. premium avatrasy= wtf? Stupid idea, i want to use my own

5.WhERE IS THE VOICE CHAT! Realy guys this is the most important feature, every small game service has it (steam,XBL,XWL, Xfire…) but you cant do it?

realy right now, i cant ee it ever happening in the PS3 Lifecycle

tatsuyakai said:

August 18th, 10:49 am

Personally, i’m dissapointed, i mean i wasn’t expecting ps2 B/C to return with this, but i at least expected it to be addressed by sony today, wow, this firmware is vanilla at best.

marcindpol said:

August 18th, 10:50 am

honestly that is crap!

where is cross game invites, voice chat etc.,??????

everyone was expecting those features to come along witch 3.0 update!!!

kingzetta said:

August 18th, 10:50 am

I want my home avatar on the xmb

frazevedo said:

August 18th, 10:50 am

where is the cross game chat, skype, cross game invatation and ps2 backwards??? Cool stuff laid out, but the basic stuff needs improovement. most of people are pissed!!! do something!

Enforcer_X said:

August 18th, 10:50 am

Looks VERY cool!
Will there be a new Theme Tool to create these themes?

Also to hell with the “What’s New” and “Info Board” just make it an RSS feed reader and include some PS feeds.

Thanks for 3.00!

EPRaider08 said:

August 18th, 10:51 am

Awesome, can’t wait for this.

hermes200 said:

August 18th, 10:51 am

How about an API to access the trophy and profile information? I would like to have the possibility to create realtime gamertags or access to that information in other ways…

MACS_PAIN said:

August 18th, 10:51 am

Very nice! Too bad my PS3 is broken right now. I’m waiting for the box so I can have you guys fix it. Kinda cool though, because when I get it back I’ll have to update, then it’ll be like I got a brand new one.

Maybe in the next update cross game chat (unless it’s secretly in 3.0)? And the ability to delete the trophies from games you didn’t like.

Erniejpan said:

August 18th, 10:51 am

BTW can you costumize the PSN section with a different icon? cause it kinda stands out and kills the theme cause it doesnt match.

slack_1 said:

August 18th, 10:51 am

yeah this is great but i still wanted backwards compatibility. *sighs*

stinkey said:

August 18th, 10:52 am

This is the new PS3 experience LOL. Great update. I think it look so cool and it really represents the SONY brand better than before. SONY is known for sleek easy to use posh looking devices and thats the PS3 and now it’s the UI as well.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 40