Overwatch

Aug 18

Aug 18

PlayStation 3 now $299, slimmer version coming September 1st

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

News just in from gamescom

It’s confirmed! The PlayStation 3 is now available for $299. Yes, NOW! Today, Kaz Hirai also announced a new, slimmer form factor 120 GB PS3 (available September 1st). SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton shows off the new hardware in this video.

Itching for a closer look at the new PS3? We’ve got pics.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 12 13 14 15

Aaronk_47 said:

August 20th, 10:37 am

wow this looks great bummer i just got my ps3 for christmas so looks like i can’t get this.

SethronKirodos said:

August 20th, 10:44 am

My questions are will it have backwards compatibility and also I remember the PS2 slim having trouble with over heating because if its small under powered fan. I can’t help but see the PS3 slim having the same problem. Yeah its great that they are cutting the size and cost but if you can’t play the dang thing for more than an hour or so, then whats the point?

TwinDad said:

August 20th, 10:44 am

From Playstation.com, PS3 page:

Top Knowledge Center Answers for PLAYSTATION®3

1. Backwards Compatibility on the PLAYSTATION®3
2. Using Vouchers and PSN cards
3. Set up your PS3
4. Guide for transferring files
5. Connect your PS3 to the Internet

It’s the last I’ll post on BC. I have a 60gb, and would be willing to give it up. But I think based on exactly what Phil said, they should have BC in the models. It’s a playstation it should play playstation games, period.

pjw12121 said:

August 20th, 11:11 am

i like the whole slim factor of it but i think the phat ones look nicer with the shinny black piano finish, and the crome, but i still think people who do not have a ps3 should by this. and to people who don’t have a ps3, and want to get the phat one for $299, the price drop already started. $299 for a 80gb, and $399 for a 160gb

pjw12121 said:

August 20th, 11:12 am

oh eyah and can someone help me, well i got the late uncharted 2 beta, and it opened yesterday, and i put the code in and it said that the coode was not valid.

RobRoks said:

August 20th, 11:13 am

better in almost all ways apart from that hideous design and the new plastic makes it look really cheap and taccy as does the back of the playstation and im still drawing a blank as to how a playstation 2 esq mains adapter is going to power the PS3 but there we go. All i can say is for the next PS3 the official Playstation 3 Slim/ slim lite or whatever you intend to call it as this one is not officially called ps3 slim but just a new ps3. please sony make it look as appealable as the price tag the fan-made concept art for ps3 looked good so maybe that or something? and release it with different colours :D

Adrian-3G said:

August 20th, 11:35 am

awesome slim ps3 but what about a replaceable HDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrubs11 said:

August 20th, 11:43 am

awesome!

UlisesC said:

August 20th, 12:12 pm

everything looks good and fancy, but can some one please tell me is this unit a backwars compatible?

superstewie said:

August 20th, 12:15 pm

the design is smart, it’s go the power-supply built-in!
and compared to the xbox360 it’s failure rate will probably stay well bellow the 10% (the xbox360 failure rate is 56%!!!)…

Noel19951 said:

August 20th, 12:48 pm

It looks cheap. i still think the original one looks better

Daistheputridone said:

August 20th, 3:18 pm

the price drop i find awesome, but the idiotic , most likely efficiency-drop slim model is an insult to me……and now if i want a ps3 capable of working i have to buy it before the slims hit the stores…..thanks Sony, thanks for doing something cool and then doing something right after it to screw it up

dmac93065 said:

August 20th, 3:28 pm

WOOHOO! Now I can finally afford the nextgen gaming system I want rather than settle for the RROD riddled 360.

Blaketoberfest said:

August 20th, 5:03 pm

Cheaper and slimmer, how convenient. It’s still really wide, though…

eaglesfan_95 said:

August 20th, 6:14 pm

hey why u guys goin to make a new 1 so soon and every1 knows the original ps3 will last longer than the slim its goin to be like the ps2 series

NotZed said:

August 20th, 6:50 pm

No OtherOS … that’s pretty disappointing. And pretty irrational. Why? As a marketing thing to say ‘look we’re serious only about games’? A way to sell more dev kits or overpriced blade servers?

Well you can say one thing for certain, they’ve just killed most of the motivation for working on the Cell B.E. for hobbyists and students out there.

Foolish, and short sighted. Bring back Ken, he knew how to look to the future.

(its ugly too, but who cares, at least it could’ve been square on top though)

ouasse said:

August 20th, 8:54 pm

I am a big PlayStation fan, and I like programming for specific architecures. I early bought my ps3 for games AND the possibility otheros gave me to access a novel architecture.

So I believe dropping otheros from the new PS3 model is a sad move from Sony. You are just betraying the growing community of competent fan developers, just because of some arbitrary decision.

And I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to get otheros running again on the new hardware. This is just a matter of choice.

C-O-P-E-N said:

August 21st, 10:00 am

I just think it’s a little inconsiderate to the people who just recently bought a ps3. I mean they paid an extra 100.00 when they really diddn’t have to and that seems to be lost. I think they should have press released their intention’s a little earlier thats all. They are alienating some of their fanbase with this move.

Darevsek said:

August 21st, 2:34 pm

For those asking on the HD to be replaced… More than likely YES…

Look at the front of the unit very closely, look under the drive unit, where it shows the wording/etc for what it can do, see the vents, and the “removable” faceplate… thats prob where the drive is. Look at the faceplate of the old fat unit.

On a unpacking video, when the guy turned the unit around there looked like a small area where a screw to hold the HD in place could be.

I could be completely wrong, but why vents under the drive unit? None on the old unit. That would put the HD away from the power supply heat on the back left area.

razrdude said:

August 21st, 2:48 pm

Great Job Sony!
To the people who don’t know, there is a way to upgrade your HDD. Under the Blu-Ray and Eject and Power buttons theres a little slot where the HDD slides out, and on the bottom of the Slim there’s a piece covering the blue screw that you need to unscrew just like in the existing PS3. So yeah you can remove the HDD and without voiding the warranty too!

T_R_ever said:

August 21st, 6:50 pm

this game system is going to be a number 1 hit in the world

L_babs said:

August 21st, 6:53 pm

i still wouldnt buy it even though its cheap, i got the 80gb with the memory card slots i wouldnt change it 4 this 1 ill have to wait for the ps4

X-killspree-X said:

August 21st, 9:19 pm

Ok for the record. The HDD is swappable. if you look at IGNs unboxing they show that it is swappable. I would post the link if i had it.

X-killspree-X said:

August 21st, 9:20 pm

@670

Sorry, i didnt see your post..

X-killspree-X said:

August 21st, 9:20 pm

@670

Sorry, i didnt see your post

jaswal24 said:

August 21st, 11:12 pm

I heard thats it’s coming on aug 25 forgot the site but if you check on futureshop or best buy dot com they say august 26.

Team_MC said:

August 22nd, 12:36 am

can’t really decide what I think about this yet, but I’m kind of ‘meh’ on it… I guess smaller is cool, but I like the glossy look of the current ps3 more, and the size really hasn’t caused any problems… Same price for a smaller ps3 with a bigger hd seems like a no-brainer for those that don’t already own one, but if you already do and have a HDD larger than 120 then I don’t see much of a point. Too bad they didn’t but BC back in…

My ps3 died for the second time the other day out of warranty now, so I’m questioning this… I may just sell mine off after fixing and get an old 60gb with hardware based BC instead of this.

Sevedrihan said:

August 22nd, 12:59 am

Video clearly showing the new redesign and how to remove/replace the HDD

CJudgMenT said:

August 22nd, 8:40 am

My 60 gig ps3 just broke do you think i should send it in and pay $150 4 it 2 b fixed or do you think i should just buy the slim when it comes out

Dizzle1234 said:

August 22nd, 11:25 am

wow thats so cool i can’t wait to buy one and then i will have 2 ps3

o0oi01o10oi0o said:

August 22nd, 12:56 pm

how much will the ps3 slim cost and will it have different feature’s or is it just a smaller ps3

dammahom13 said:

August 22nd, 2:15 pm

okay so the ps3 slim has 120 GB and that’s pretty much all the benefits plus power and and everything but what really caught me off guard is the design, sony is the best company there is, maybe if they made it a silver metallic color and the chrome trim was there still, then the ps3 slim would truly be better the ps3 original, but so far, I’m completely fine with my ps3 80 GB and the ps3 slim doesn’t look very appealing and I’m sure that many people agree with me. Except the price is going to make a lot of parents ready to buy it for their kids on Christmas

KONTENTONLINE said:

August 22nd, 2:22 pm

I would have bought one if it played PS2 games.

Holocust said:

August 22nd, 2:50 pm

will it still have blue-ray!!?

Holocust said:

August 22nd, 2:51 pm

will it still play blue ray dvd!!?

argon381 said:

August 22nd, 2:52 pm

Not cool yo.

jernigcook said:

August 22nd, 4:08 pm

i have been saving for a ps3, this makes everything better. 120gb, slimmer, ps3!, 299, yes!

xeno3d said:

August 22nd, 8:10 pm

Does it run cooler than its bigger, older, brother??

MEGATRON_CY_TANK said:

August 22nd, 8:38 pm

please pass message to president of sony bring back backwards compatiablity as an optional downloaded update. is would satisfy poeple who want it back and not increase the cost of making ps3 ‘s please take the time to read what people are saying in blogs they want backwards compatiablity back. it doesn’t make sence that all models of ps3 can play ps1 games but not ps2 games. lets petition sony to bring it back aleast as a downloadable optional update for the people who want it. a ps3 that can play cd rom ps1 game but not dvd rom ps2 games doesn’t make sence. and i mean all models ps3 can play ps1 games. i tried it out

prepy_plover said:

August 23rd, 6:05 am

I’m very interested in buying the ps3 slim but are there any card slots?

theseraphgabriel said:

AV cable
USB cable
HDD= 2.5′ Serial ATA (80GB or 160GB) Removable
Communication:
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) IEEE 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi*
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Wireless Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
A/V output:
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI**: HDMI out – (x1 / HDMI)
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
Blu-ray/DVD/CD DRIVE “read only”
I/O=USB 2.0 X 2
Dimensions=Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)
Weight=Approximately 5 kg
CPU=Cell Broadband Engine™
GPU=RSX
Memory=256MB XDR Main RAM @ 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Backwards Compatibility:
Due to the availability of an extensive line-up of PS3™ system titles, the 80GB & 160GB PS3™ systems are NOT backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 system titles, but does maintain backwards compatibility for some original PlayStation® titles.

theseraphgabriel said:

August 23rd, 10:32 am

There is everones answers there is NO B/C nor card slots. If it didnt have blue ray then you cannot play PS 3 titles!

theseraphgabriel said:

August 23rd, 10:36 am

O and linux ps 3 users are screwed they took away the “Other OS” feature.

a18203 said:

August 23rd, 11:16 am

no memory card slots, like sd, memory stick, etc…?

DjBuBa_WARRIOR said:

August 23rd, 11:36 am

love the top os the system ,now we dont have to be dusting it out

Amrswagg said:

August 23rd, 11:49 am

this ps3 slim is so coold i cant wait till it come out september 1st it’s gonna be the best

cdgishiphop said:

August 23rd, 12:04 pm

IF YALL WANT TO PLAY SUM CHEAP PS2 GAMES GO BUY A PS2 ITS 2009 BROKE PPL ITS A PS3 NOT A UGLY PS2 I HOPE THEY STOP MAKIN PS2 GAMES 4EVER ITS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

XxTOASTYxX said:

August 23rd, 12:17 pm

I waant one!!! xD

TwiztedR3DHead said:

August 23rd, 2:50 pm

cruddycronin said:

August 23rd, 10:59 pm

I think this is great, so many more people will be willing to part with $299 for 120gb. I was so happy to hear this news because I just had to reflow my launch 60gb. Definatly gonna buy .

PAGE 1 12 13 14 15