PlayStation VR

Aug 18

Aug 18

PlayStation 3 now $299, slimmer version coming September 1st

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

News just in from gamescom

It’s confirmed! The PlayStation 3 is now available for $299. Yes, NOW! Today, Kaz Hirai also announced a new, slimmer form factor 120 GB PS3 (available September 1st). SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton shows off the new hardware in this video.

Itching for a closer look at the new PS3? We’ve got pics.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 13 14 15

cruddycronin said:

August 23rd, 11:01 pm

one more thing no BC does suck for those who still play ps2 games but come on guys some things need to be cut to bring the price down.

ec_arkangel said:

August 24th, 10:06 am

OK, i am tempted to change my PS3 80GB console. BUT, will it be better? will I be able to transfer my info from the network to this new unit? Why didnt you guys leave it glossy…the 120GB looks cheaper, the shiny looks so much cooler!
SONY give me a reason to change to this new model not only price.

X0422 said:

August 24th, 12:24 pm

YO JUST TO LET U SONY FANS KNOW THAT GameStop & Amazon.com WILL HAVE PS3 SLIMS OUT TOMROROW DON’T believe ME GO LOOK IT UP RIGHT NOW

jake_kirkwood said:

August 24th, 5:15 pm

just be greatful its actualy cheaper and better im definatly getting one for christmas this will beet the crap out of the 360 cuz nvidia 8900gtx beets the living crap out of ati radeon 340 diamond

SFflyers3 said:

August 24th, 5:18 pm

i wonder if you could put a bigger hard drive in it

jsfnts said:

August 24th, 6:53 pm

noooooooo!!! sucks for sony ps die hard fans. we buy it when it first comes out and we get shafted with a cheaper, slimmer and bigger drive. grrrr! okay so i’ll buy another. still mad though.

Zero_Punctuation said:

August 24th, 8:54 pm

WOOW yeah my old ps3’s laser just gave out this is the perfect excuse the get the 120 slim :D

MJ_JMT said:

August 24th, 9:49 pm

the hdd is upgradable

ArmoredAce said:

August 25th, 3:19 am

i have a question i really need answered.i have an 80gb model so how can i get my PSN ID to the slim

phat_tony04 said:

August 25th, 2:21 pm

Is the Bluray drive still a 2x drive like the other consoles or is it a faster drive? *crosses fingers*

SFflyers3 said:

August 25th, 4:55 pm

i wonder if this version will sell better than the other one’s

uncle_moody said:

August 25th, 8:35 pm

I have two PS3 consoles, I can’t wait to buy this one and sell my oldest one.

CaLiGiNoUs-SnAkE said:

August 26th, 12:43 pm

im gooing to get this as soon as possible

norm97 said:

August 26th, 6:27 pm

Oh ya This is nuts my ps3s layer gave out yesterday, can’t wait for September 1. Can u use ur old psn id on the ps3 slim?

NINEblademanNINE said:

August 26th, 6:59 pm

You say right here that the slimmer version of the PS3 is suppose to come out September 1st but I have already seen it at a Best Buy. They said that its been on sale for a couple of days now. What you say to that?

catchmyvibe said:

August 26th, 9:31 pm

Isn’t the PS3 Slim due out on September 1, 2009? If so, why is a local retailer in Sunnyvale/San Jose, CA selling it already?

C-Nutz315 said:

August 27th, 8:23 am

Although Im excited about the price drop, Im not too happy about the new logo and design of the slim. I dont see why they couldnt have offered it in both matte and glossy. The new system looks like a high tec CB radio. The touch controls on the current system are great.

HatmanTc said:

August 27th, 9:19 am

Great ads and keep them coming.

Myy favorite Ps3 ad so far is the “ladys and gentlemen” ad from holiday 08. That was a well done ad.

KFCSnumber1fan said:

August 27th, 6:23 pm

this is so cool but they need more memory for gaming and video. this is sweet. lets get them.

Liquid88Jihad said:

August 27th, 9:59 pm

yeah the ps3 slims hdd is easily removed, to be upgraded or replaced… but unfortunately not backward compatible. so I wont be buying one unless i win the lotto or get a better job.. i will stick it out with my Fatty ps3. still looks pretty good though nice matte finish so if you travel with you ps3 you don’t have to worry about scratches so much…

DarkDuneMRK said:

August 28th, 10:53 am

Jeff,

Here’s an idea!

Can PlayStation Home sponsor a Fat/Slim day on Sept. 1st where users change their character to be Fat or Slim to represent which PS3 they now use?

I think it would be fun!

allenaj said:

August 28th, 4:10 pm

For ppl that dont kno the new ps3 slim is NOT backward compatible! but who really wants to play ps2 games still?

bowerpower1210 said:

August 30th, 11:26 am

Yes, you can replace the HDD. I watched a video. A guy said that it’s on the bottom(awkward). 299$ is an amazing price for an extremely powerful machine. The ps3 is awesome!

bowerpower1210 said:

August 30th, 11:34 am

I really hope Sony makes an update in which you can have a personal avatar. Because i hate seeing like 15 people on my list with the exact same avatars on PSN. It a little confusing and there is no variety. Maybe make a website(like the theme website) that has plenty of acceptable pictures on it that have to be approved by Sony(or not) to be posted.

BATman94Knight said:

August 30th, 11:44 am

As a pre-slim 80 gig. PS3 owner, I’m glad to see the advancements. However, I think Sony is again shooting itself in the foot by going a little “cheap” and not putting a USB port in the back of the console. Assuming the camera with the forthcoming motion controller will require a USB connection, who is going to want to have a USB cable protruding out in front of his/her system in what probably is otherwise a sleek home theater setup?

pl3ym0b1l said:

August 31st, 8:45 am

there will be ps2 games backwards compability? if so I may send mine PS3 60GB with dead BD to the junk, cause no one will going to buy it anymore even if fixed. cheap hardware and firmware tricks are bad Sony, too bad.

jboog1 said:

August 31st, 7:07 pm

temps me to buy a 3rd

j123m said:

August 31st, 8:12 pm

j123m said:

August 31st, 8:14 pm

i’ll just stick with my 700 GB PS3 that sports 4 USB ports and SD card slots… i actually have a 60 GB, i just bought a $100 external memory drive.. 640 gigs on top of 60… lol why buy the 120gb ?..but as for this slim version, im just not feelin the matte finish.. it just looks too plain which is one of my reasons for not gettin the 360..as for backward compatability, i still got ps1 and ps2.. so im cool

j123m said:

August 31st, 8:14 pm

sorry bout the double post…

mobiuz3 said:

September 4th, 6:23 am

Where is IN-GAME Private/Party Chat Sony?

Ricochet__ said:

September 7th, 11:54 am

YES YES YES!ffs people the hdd are removable and replaceable..i just switched my 120 gig out with a 500 just to see if it works or not, it worked perfectly….Slim FTW

ICECOLD_ERASTO said:

September 13th, 2:08 am

I’m not looking forward to buying the ps3 slim cause i got the original but I am looking forward to buying the PSP GO
AWSOME!

ICECOLD_ERASTO said:

September 13th, 2:09 am

STILL THINK XBOX 360 IS BETTER

nothing will probably change my mind

vampirwolffather said:

September 16th, 2:18 pm

The ‘new’PS3 is NOT being offered for $299 in Ireland as stated in the video ‘$299 worldwide.’ It is being sold for €299 which by today’s stats is 439.864 USD… I am also angry because my blue ray drive stopped working in my 1.5 year old PS3 two months ago. I just hope when I buy my new slim PS3 for 439.864 USD the blue ray drive holds out. Otherwise PS3 offers a great service and I enjoy playing games on a flawless 47″ HD TV & I am looking forward to the new features offered. P.S. if the PS3 was being offered in Ireland for $299 I would buy one tomorrow.

PAGE 1 13 14 15