Knack 2

Aug 20

Aug 20

Gamescom Virtual Booth Tour: MAG

Chris Morell's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

On day one of Gamescom Cologne, even the jet lag of a 40-hour day couldn’t keep me from stumbling my way over to MAG in the PlayStation booth. There, I found Seth Luisi, Director of Development at SCEA, who walked us through a 128-player “Acquisition” mode Valor map that’s playable on the show floor.

Check out the video, and don’t forget that Qore subscribers will have the chance to get in on the MAG Official Public Beta on September 17!

Add Your Own

Odoyle-rulez said:

August 20th, 3:30 pm

wow really you are trying to screw us by making us get a sub to qore just to try it. i dont think so seth. no one trusts you anymore.

Senior_Gomez said:

August 20th, 3:39 pm

I just bought a PS3 last night, and I got it because the good excusives started to pile up(avid 360 player here). One of the main games I want is this: MAG. I love campaigns, but this online mutltiplayer experience is exactly what I’m looking for: big maps, squads, platoons, vehicles. I just hope there are fyable helicopter and jets(with a dumbed down controller interface like the in the “Batle Field” series).

Senior_Gomez said:

August 20th, 3:40 pm

@ Odoye-rulez: He said annual Qore subscribers PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER SEVENTEENTH. As in: if you sign up for Qore now, still no BETA.

CHAOTIC- said:

August 20th, 3:53 pm

well im already a qore subscriber so ill be hitting playing the beta 24/7 when i get it although i have a few questions, ive heard a rumor that the qore subscribers will actually get it sep.7th and everybody else will get it on the 17th

Odoyle-rulez said:

August 20th, 3:54 pm

uh senior gomez. having to sub period is bullcrap. if they think they can test the servers like that on a game so big they are sadly mistaken.

Killah28 said:

August 20th, 3:56 pm

It’s not really Seth’s fault, it’s actually Sony’s fault Socom turned out so bad. It had a low budget and a new developer behind it. Zipper still owns Socom but they really had nothing more to do with Confrontation other than putting their logo on the box. But seeing how mag is, it makes me wonder what Socom “could” have been.
I bought my Ps3 knowing one day we would get the next great next-gen Socom game and even with the one we got I at least hoped that we’d get more/better post release support. We have so many FPS games on the market and Sococm was Sony’s bread and butter and they sold all the hardcore fans that put the Playstion online on the map. The Socom vets are the reason PSN exists today but we got screwed over. Modern Warfare 2 WILL be better than this game and Sony shot themselves in the foot for taking advantage of the Socom fan-base. MAG could be fun and great and lag free, but it’s still not Socom end of story.

Thrasher20 said:

August 20th, 4:05 pm

This game I really want!

Hobbz- said:

August 20th, 4:07 pm

@ #9 C-DaBurna-B

LOL… nice

befear said:

August 20th, 4:14 pm

yaya ill get the mag beta before my brithday on the 18th!!

mike1318 said:

August 20th, 4:14 pm

I was playing mag durring the demo :)

Jimal23 said:

August 20th, 4:17 pm

MAG looks awesome. Wish I was in GAP though. Never got an invite.

pooksters said:

August 20th, 4:20 pm

it looks like it’s going to be really good, espeacially with 256 people going at it, but what about those games that have only 20-30 people?? will there be smaller maps available, or will we be running around, shooting tumble weed??

Ninja-KiLLR said:

August 20th, 5:15 pm

is there any other way to get the beta other then buying Qore supscribtion???

shelby07 said:

August 20th, 5:16 pm

OMG, i wish i could get that beta… But i am very loyal to the ps3 and i love everything they do… THANKS GUYS

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

August 20th, 5:16 pm

SETH LUISI???? Really???

AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO SOCOM HELL NO IM NOT GETTING MAG!

dcelw540 said:

August 20th, 5:19 pm

hey the 17 is my birthday can i get the beta as for a present? lol

trey4li4e17 said:

August 20th, 6:09 pm

Ohhhh how come only Qore subscirbers get it… In Australia we don’t get Qore so can’t get into heaps of the things that they get… Maybe also include future betas with the Official Playstation Magazine Australia *hint hint*

Oh well mag looks awesome :)

C-DaBurna-B said:

August 20th, 6:16 pm

Here’s a good one…

If you fix Socom Confrontation, I’ll buy MAG!!! Seriously we need about 13 more maps by Xmas SONY… get crackin!

Tommy-Cronin said:

August 20th, 6:21 pm

grab a spine and start cracking crackkkk

KUSHman666 said:

August 20th, 6:31 pm

DEATH TO SETH LOUIS FOR RUINING SOCOM!!!! dont let him ruin this game to >_>

stinkey said:

August 20th, 6:49 pm

I noticed he’s not using a headset. so you can communicate your ideas,plans w/out using a headset?

WINNERS_CIRCLE24 said:

August 20th, 7:03 pm

@11 jill you just said they have a chance to make it into the beta in hte paragraph above now u say everyone who is a sub to qore which one is it?

WINNERS_CIRCLE24 said:

August 20th, 7:04 pm

@ 68 zipper didnt make slowcom confrontation that is slant six

WINNERS_CIRCLE24 said:

August 20th, 7:06 pm

@9 confrontataion is slant six socom 2 and others were zipper get it right

bomba2812 said:

August 20th, 7:17 pm

the people who think zipper made socom confrontation are idiots.

woooot i got invited into the beta

Indrux_12 said:

August 20th, 8:15 pm

So will those of us already in the beta be able to continue participation when the public beta is released? If so will we keep our stats or will we have to redownload something?

Myke-Myke said:

August 20th, 8:19 pm

Will MAG available to download over the PSN, will there be a bundle w/ the PS headset and will it be $39.99 like Socom?

John-Shooter said:

August 20th, 8:27 pm

sorry after what happened with socom and r2’s beta im not buyin qore anymore

if im lucky i’ll find a site that gives codes away like i did with lbp beta .. way easier

i never recieved my qore r2 beta code and it took me like 2 weeks to recieve my socom beta code and i had like 4 days to play it

if i somehow do get into this beta i hope you guys dont do what naughtydog did and lock the beta to 1 system so i dont have to wait the stupid 24 hrs to play it on my other systems in my house

Hradekal said:

August 20th, 8:31 pm

Hey Seth. You suck.

-A disgruntled SOCOM fan
(SOCOM 1 + 2 were perfect)

bc_r1da said:

August 20th, 8:36 pm

only qore subscribers get in or do they jus get in way before every one else?

Ultra_Keyblade said:

August 20th, 8:49 pm

I have a question. I’m annual subscriber to Qore. Do I have to get the code & download the public mag beta again If I’m already in the private beta?

Glock1973 said:

August 20th, 9:16 pm

For all the haters out there. I feel your pain about Socom and the lies. I feel your pain that since you did not get beta code you are still stuck with broken games to play. All I can say is Zipper Has Followed The Socom shortcomings and IS MAKING a genre defining game. And if you do get the game have a dang headset and use it. You Will need it. Just runnig and gunnin won’t work. to big to go solo.

Glock1973 said:

August 20th, 9:17 pm

Ultra… you will probably get code for both and lucky you may be able to share qore one with a friend. I don’t know but it seems like you may.

Army_of_Lefty said:

August 20th, 9:21 pm

so if i get the annual subscription now i dont get in? and i heard the invites recently have been random by email. is this true too?

PERFECT-SHOOTER said:

August 20th, 9:28 pm

i got my qore subscription on 8/2/08 thats last year august so i been a annual subscriber for a year now AN I LOVE QORE so far what i got from qore was TONS! of free home stuff over the year cool themes lots of free cool games like calling all cars an much more an best of all you get in on betas so far i been in the socom beta uncharted 2 an now m.a.g im buying my second year next week

Sniper5000 said:

August 20th, 9:37 pm

MAG is looking good i am going to buy it

Glock1973 said:

August 20th, 9:41 pm

They are somewhat random. I believe the register for a chance was more random than the actual you are in email. But the subscription is for the September release of “open” beta. Wich if you get it you are supposed to be “in” in September. Hope this will help too.

Element103 said:

August 20th, 9:48 pm

Cant wait…EVERYBODY I GET MY PS3 ON SEPTEMBER 1st…(hopefully)

wasim007 said:

August 20th, 9:52 pm

I am so pumped up for this game

256 player game only on PS3

wasim007 said:

August 20th, 9:57 pm

looks awesome for a 256 player game

etur0 said:

August 20th, 9:59 pm

@39 wrong there is allot on shooting in mag about 80% of it is and smaller maps lead to more spawn campers hell i don’t play online games if it doesn’t have more than 24 players playing any less is just boring

etur0 said:

August 20th, 10:03 pm

@52 there are planes and choppers in mag but you can’t fly them

GibbilyNiga said:

August 20th, 10:23 pm

wanna make a sale sony?

guarentee me that if i buy a subscription of qore that i will get into this beta

if i spend 25 bones on that show off i will get a beta?

gunner420 said:

August 20th, 10:41 pm

oh yeah cant wait wooohoooo qore is gonna have a record year lol

Just4Socom said:

August 20th, 11:57 pm

ahahahha for some reason when i look at this guy that lied to everyone with socom confrontation, now with his new wild hair look.

he reminds me of Ms Doubtfire.

ACDarkKnight said:

August 21st, 2:49 am

If I read one more comment by idiots who don’t know that Zipper did NOT work on SOCOM for the PS3 it was Slant 6 my head is gunna explode. Do you guys know why people don’t take gamers seriously, it’s because you run your mouths off on message boards boycotting things you know nothing about, telling everyone how gay everything is and how bad a job people have done when you have done nothing yourself. I hope the people that have said the aforementioned things don’t buy MAG because I really want to enjoy it and not have to deal with all of you ass clowns. With that off my chest, this game looks awesome and I can’t wait for the beta! Zipper keep up the good work and dont worry about the uneducated comments. We all know you guys are working really hard making MAG the best warfare experience on the PS3 and I’m sure one day you will also show the way SOCOM should be done on the PS3 as well.

Racer3 said:

August 21st, 2:56 am

From what I could see out of this video, if you put the visor of his repair tool on the left instead of the top, it looks just like the repair tool in Killzone 2. Not saying anything, but they look similar.

AlphaVirus2g said:

August 21st, 6:43 am

I am just as excited as the next PS3 user but a part of me still wonders the time difference between COD4style killing mayhem and SOCOMMstyle time consuming objective hunting. I am not a huge FPS fan but if I am holding a gun in a game I expect to do some shooting; the video shows very little shooting.

I am still optimistic because of the large scale battles, but I hope the maps are scalable to the amount of people in the room.

superjunior76 said:

August 21st, 7:44 am

Anyone else also think that the arm/weapon graphics/animations in the foreground look way below standard? Isn’t the player running a bit too fast? The HUD looks a bit messy…

End of bashing.
Still have my hopes up for this game.

StalkingSilence said: