Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 27

Aug 27

It Only Does Everything

Peter Dille's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

I’m excited today to unveil our brand new ad campaign for PlayStation 3. This year is going to be a game-changing year for PlayStation. Last week, we extended an incredible value proposition with the $299 price move and the introduction of a sleek new form factor for the 120 GB PS3. We’ve coupled this news with a truly unmatched content line up this year with some of the most eagerly anticipated games in our history. But this is just half the story. Today we are laying down the final puzzle piece with a new marketing campaign for the PS3 and the introduction of its new tagline, “It Only Does Everything.”

You may remember our MLB ad from earlier this year where we introduced Dustin Pedroia’s “Dear PlayStation” spot and our resident PlayStation expert Kevin Butler. These new ads, created by our partners at Deutsch LA, birthed a new campaign in which we will have direct conversations with consumers about everything the PS3 can do. And as you’ll see below, “It Only Does Everything.”

We know many of you would agree that the PS3 is an unrivaled gaming console. It’s also the best Blu-ray player on the market. And most of you are probably aware that you can now download more than 2,000 movies without even leaving your couch. However, we recognize there are still many consumers who may not be aware of how powerful the PS3 truly is. So we’ve tailored this campaign a bit differently to extend our reach and PS3 family.

From now through the holiday season, you’ll see and hear about all the broad features and benefits this amazing device has to offer across multiple media including TV, radio, online, retail and social networking outlets. A total of 9 TV spots will roll out throughout the holiday, each highlighting a different benefit and feature of the PS3. So whether you’re a hardcore gamer or a Blu-ray enthusiast, you will have something to takeaway from these ads.

We’re kick starting the campaign with a TV spot highlighting the new $299 price point on September 1. But for you, our loyal fans, here’s an official sneak peek.

It’s a fully integrated campaign that seamlessly intertwines hardware, gaming and PlayStation Network benefits under one umbrella, each with a dose of our own irreverent humor. We knew you’d want more than just one peek, so here’s a spot in which Kevin commiserates with a consumer about getting her boyfriend to get his PS3 connected to the PlayStation Network. Enjoy!

We look forward to your feedback and continued excitement, for what will be a truly great holiday and year for PlayStation. There’s more to come, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
Peter Dille

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 7 8 9 10

Biggz124 said:

August 27th, 7:27 pm

OMG.. keyboard cat shirt.. this screams “i’m made of the lulz!”

well done SCEA!!

TRIX_BOL said:

August 27th, 7:36 pm

Wish I could really do ‘Everything’ as described in these Ads taglines.
Like a calendar, memopad / wordpad / notepad (what ever is it, but at least something like those), ability to delete off a game’s trophy collection from you account, and more cool features that can’t come to my mind yet.

Bring more AWESOME Ads, this are great but maybe some with exclusive first party titles. A copilation of God of War III, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank: ACIT, MAG and more will be well appreciated.

akelf said:

August 27th, 7:40 pm

NICE!!!
Finally some funny commercials!

CloudStorm87 said:

August 27th, 7:53 pm

These are really good ads and about time!

I love the fact the first one makes fun of the whole PS3 slim/price drop rumour saga and Sony’s constant denial of it. This really helps advertise the PS3’s new price without sounding desperate so well done to the ad company that made it.

Now please make some ads like this for the UK/EU. The few ads that ever show up on the screens are usually too weird and make no sense. Please start advertising the PS3 in ways that the average jo might understand.

GreyLynx said:

August 27th, 8:01 pm

Great Ads especially with the rumor monger

GreyLynx said:

August 27th, 8:02 pm

I would stress to connect and play online for free aspect for non gamers

krazyyungwun said:

August 27th, 8:33 pm

fantastic actually made me laugh and i really want a slim and already own an original 60gb!!

decisions have to be made!!!

you lot already made the right one!!

you know what slim spells backwards sony

MILS!!!! YOUR GNA MAKE MILS!!!

xJordanatorx said:

August 27th, 9:11 pm

This is just what Playstation needed, A slim PS3, A price cut, so many great exclusives and now great advertising to push it further? This is awesome….Well done Sony

Cagalli said:

August 27th, 9:12 pm

Best ads since the PS2 era.

Pomato_Dragon_23 said:

August 27th, 9:20 pm

Great commercials. Very funny.

Devils_Demon said:

August 27th, 9:45 pm

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say.. IT’S ABOUT BLOODY TIME!

Seriously I honestly can not remember the last time I’ve seen a TV ad for PS3. 360 on the other hand gets a mention during nearly every commercial break. Even sandwiched between programmes that don’t target the gaming audience. I saw a 360 ad during Coronation Street here in Ireland.
These ads better not be for US only. The rest of the world watch TV too.

Ospov said:

August 27th, 10:32 pm

They should’ve mentioned how the PSN is free in the second commercial. I’m sure that would perk up some ears.

MickaeL486 said:

August 27th, 10:43 pm

ADVERTISE THE FREE ONLINE GAMING!
PEOPLE DON’T KNOW IT’S FREE VS A YEARLY $50+ SUBSCRIPTION TO 360.

THAT’S WHY I HAVE MINE!!!

oldsnake2 said:

August 27th, 11:01 pm

they should do a burn on 360 like dear PlayStation my console hasn’t failed yet and i’ve had it for a while should i be worried about a warranty , no you never have to worry about some thing like that it’s not like we use faulty hard ware to make thing in convenient for you. I LOVE THESE NEW VIDEO THERE AWESOME!!!!!

Rike255 said:

August 27th, 11:32 pm

Lol awesome commercials, very well done!!

Twisted_Tad said:

August 27th, 11:41 pm

This brings me back to the days when Sony had hilarious commercials mocking Nintendo. I hope the keep up with this.

computerwis5 said:

August 27th, 11:58 pm

Its nice the ps3, with all of its unique features, is getting pointed out to those with other systems or those who already own a ps3. In fw 3.0, its gonna be nice that the store features will be highlighted under each xmb icon. Also, with its new price, many will consider the system for the center of their entertainment centers. These ads should help reach out to not only gamers, but also to movie goers

BigRich55 said:

August 28th, 12:10 am

Those ads are great!!!! But if you want it to do everything please bring PLAYTV to the United States soon.

Slayer612 said:

August 28th, 12:44 am

I am a proud owner of a 40 gig PS3. Had it for a year with absolutely no problems. Seeing these ads makes me wanna buy another one.

JetarR said:

August 28th, 1:04 am

“Dear Sony.

Your commercials up to these two have sucked in uncountable ways.
Now we forgive you.

Sincerely yours
PlayStation Owners everywhere”

warspite101 said:

August 28th, 1:23 am

two words come to mind: pretty good

polite_society said:

August 28th, 1:56 am

I know everyone goes on about it, and I know you don’t care, but I’ll say it again anyway. I love my PS3, but I really wish you would bring back backwards compatibility. I would buy a second PS3 just for it. For serious.

Shadow_Dancer said:

August 28th, 2:42 am

Yeah, it does everything except play PS2 games. It can play PS1 games but NOT PS2 games. Try and tell me where the logic is in that explanation. You can’t because there isn’t one. You guys took out BC and refuse to give us a VALID and REAL reason why you did. None of that BS that John Koeller tried to feed us a few days ago about “research tellinG you that people don’t use the feature very often and buy PS3 to play PS3 games.”…Um..yeah, Of course they do. They don’t buy PS3 to listen to music either, but it can play CD’s right? How many people use the Remote Play feature? Or Media Server? But you included that didn’t you? Why? Because it adds VALUE to Playstation owners, allowing them to extend and continue their library of Playstation branded games all on one system. You expect us to believe that people are more than likely to use their PS3’s to play PSone games but NOT PS2 games? WTF!!?? GIVE PEOPLE BACK PS2 BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

zsdg07 said:

August 28th, 3:05 am

Start those ads in Australia. :P
Too many people think the PS3 is only for games.

Sephi1n6 said:

August 28th, 3:38 am

I like this ad campaign, good humor.

my_katamari said:

August 28th, 3:50 am

It DOESNT do everything anymore…. I liked it before how you could do everything with 4 USB ports and the card reader!!!

my_katamari said:

August 28th, 3:51 am

o and it cant do LINUX anymore!

pkwest said:

August 28th, 3:54 am

Looks great

I have been playing PlayStation since it first came out so this help with getting better sales

pgsdi said:

August 28th, 4:47 am

This is great, but in all seriousness. SONY really needs to step up in advertising especially in the US. I’m talking TV, I have not seen a commercial in almost a year. not even for Killzone 2

while M$ is plastering ads every 5 mins on the tube. Wake up SONY

FreZing_Phoenix said:

August 28th, 4:50 am

Excellent Ads guys, great job! Simple + witty + memorable = great Advertising. Bravo especially with the GF TVC. Laughed heartedly at it :D

Crycek said:

August 28th, 5:54 am

Just don’t run the ads in Canada, can’t do the movie downloading here, damn our telecoms.

cgdavidsoccer said:

August 28th, 6:18 am

those were funny now hopefully we actually see them on tv

ssmcp137 said:

August 28th, 6:26 am

what happened to the demon baby lol

CrioSphinx said:

August 28th, 6:38 am

I firmly believe the original PS3 is the better looking one..of course the new one is slim and small in size and has basically has every thing that the first ps3 has.but..i still prefer the original look.
it has sleek look to it cause of the gloss shine it has.
and i just love the overall look of it.
the new one just looks like an outdated game console. and it also looks like an old dvd player.
ugh….its just ugly…not hideous like the 360..where as its just plain and blan…but other than that..its just not sony like to kill of the first one…..

enderX said:

August 28th, 7:18 am

The ads are pretty good. Kinda strange that you start using the line “It only does everything” after removing the ability to install linux on the PS3, which literally turned it into a full fledged computer. I really hope the next system you release is completely open with a linux base for the OS. That would make it sweet.

freeluv said:

August 28th, 7:41 am

finally some good advertising.

IceCold said:

August 28th, 8:12 am

Play Tv
PS2 BC
X Game chat

these may jsut be nit picks, but they hardly classify as everything if they are major wants of the majority.

Gman2989 said:

August 28th, 8:12 am

THESE ARE AWESOME!!! PlayStation is back. Thankgod. I really think that at 299 and with these ads Sony is on track to make the PS3 big. The arrogance is gone. We got our old Sony back. It makes me think of the old Ratchet and Clank ads. Funny stuff guys, Good Luck!

gamestopper09 said:

August 28th, 9:09 am

Great ad!

sharpshooter04 said:

August 28th, 10:12 am

who cares about ps2 games anyway when u have a ps3, and stop complaining people about not being able to play ps2 games on the ps3 because ps3 is meant to play ps3 games and the ps2 is meant to play ps2 games, so if u want to play ps2 games then u should have gotten a ps2. plain and simple

Bawalo said:

August 28th, 10:16 am

Beyond!

WaterElemental said:

August 28th, 10:23 am

HAHAHA BRILLIANT! ;)

ima80baby said:

August 28th, 10:24 am

About time! This is what I like to see. Aggressive advertising! Way to go Sony.

Transient said:

August 28th, 10:37 am

I’d be pretty confused when I bought the PS3 that “does everything” and it wouldn’t play PS2 games.

KILLZONE79 said:

August 28th, 11:06 am

sorry peter dile, i still like the other ad campaign: PLAYB3YOND is sounded so awesome

plus seeing all your PLAYB3YOND ads on TV that really grabbed my attention to buy a PS3 at launch (11/17/06)

can u guys still sell the PS3 at $299 and keep the PLAYB3YOND ad campaign?

IONHAWK said:

August 28th, 12:36 pm

guys these ads are great, but please don’t forget to properly promote the first party games too. The first Killzone 2 ads came out only 2 weeks after the game was released. I think that game would have sold much, much more with much better promotion. Please don’t leave potentially awesome games like Heavy Rain (which has the potential to appeal to even casual gamers) out in the cold by not promoting it properly. We want more multi-million selling PS3 exclusive games! :)

p_morin said:

August 28th, 1:36 pm

OK… BUT WHERE’S DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION IN cANADA!? (!)

DJAzzurro said:

August 28th, 8:54 pm

*Stands up and claps*

I love it. XD

ivanramon said:

August 28th, 10:14 pm

Whoever came up with this add campaign should get a raise!

TOY_BOXX said:

August 28th, 10:23 pm

These focal point ad’s, explaining what the system can do, is a great idea! Playstation already has a heads up over it’s competitor right now. There is nothing like the PS3 – anywhere!

PAGE 1 7 8 9 10