Final Fantasy XV

Aug 28

Aug 28

Ratchet’s Rocket: A Crack in Time’s New Space Gameplay

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by Community Lead, Insomniac Games

One of our huge focus points on Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time has been exploration and replay value. This focus is highlighted by our space exploration gameplay, which allows you to fly Ratchet’s ship between the planets in the game – while landing on spherical moons and completing side quests. We put together this video with Creative Director Brian Allgeier that will give you a first look at the new space gameplay.

But don’t take our word for it! We also had IGN into our studio earlier this week to check it out and get some extensive hands-on in one of the space sectors – you can read all of their thoughts here.

One of our favorite parts of space gameplay is how it really rewards you for exploring. The various spherical moons contain Zoni, which allow you to upgrade your ship’s abilities and weapons, and are also required to face-off against our final uber-boss in replay mode (that’s right, hardcore fans, a special boss you’ll need to get beat to get the last trophy). There’s also a huge incentive to explore in that you can discover new mods for your constructo weapons. We’re also really excited because the designers have created some excellent platforming and hoverbooting moons –and some of them, especially later in the game, will challenge long-time platformer fans.

Crash

The other star of the show is Space Radio with its zany commercials, and movie trailers, and fun DJs (like Captain Slag and Rusty Pete on Pirate Radio). Fans paying attention to the news reports will also discover answers to some of their biggest questions about the Ratchet & Clank universe, providing plenty of incentive to tune in while you’re exploring space.

space_007 space_004

We’re excited about this brand new space gameplay as we are continuing to push hard to wrap up the game. For fans traveling to PAX in Seattle next week – make sure you stop by the Sony booth and check out both the Krell Canyon and Great Clock demos. We’ll also have Ratchet in costume, and we will be handing out the mega-popular Comic-Con swag inflatable wrenches. Creative Director Brian Allgeier will also be giving a presentation about the history of Ratchet & Clank weapons (along with some new ones) called Weapons 101.  You can catch that presentation Friday, from 2-3pm in the Unicorn Theatre.

That’s all for now, hope you like the space gameplay. I’ll be happy to try and answer your questions about in the comments below!

Add Your Own

Tommy-Cronin said:

August 28th, 9:33 am

cool stuff

KazeEternal said:

August 28th, 9:33 am

@Brian Allgeier
This sounds great I’m really looking forward to playing ACiT, however when we discover planets will they be added to a list of places we can visit after we find them? You know allow for a more traditional Wormhole Jump and play approach once the planet/moon has been located?

Also will we be getting any details on Resistance 3 anytime soon? There has been some chatter that insomniac or potentially its new studio on the east coast is working on a new IP instead of R3 (if this is the case I’m hoping for KZ2 polish with sixaxis use on the snipper rifles/fareye).

BTW I hate the killing machine trophy – 4,568 kills

LordMetzen said:

August 28th, 9:35 am

@ 36 StalkingSilence

“If all you want is a heads up that it’s delayed – I agree that one on here would be nice, but the @SonyPlayStation twitter account posted a notice yesterday.”

Sure, that’s all I think they should do, I did saw the twitter message yesterday, but just because for no reason I looked into the “Quick updates” section at the top of the blog…

They updated with another message a few minutes ago, but most users won’t see it because it is not posted as it normally would.

Im not complaining about the service, I know problems happen, but at the end it is a bussiness, your clients would want to know what is going on or what problems you are experiencing. Just a heads up in a place where everyone can see it, that’s it, I don’t mind if we won’t have an update, just say so, so we don’t need to post about it…

BlooodyCow said:

August 28th, 9:38 am

Everyone need to buy this game this year, because it always a blast to play Ratchet and Clank when little kids are around because they think they are watching a movie.
I played through Quest for Booty in one sitting with my 2 year old niece and she thought she was watching a movie and was laugh. When I finish the game, she was sad that the “movie” was finish. Of course, I didn’t die because then she would have figure out it was a game. Dam, it was hard not to die because I did not want to ruin the experience for her.

That brings me to my question. Will there ever be a Ratchet and Clank movie? I know kids an adult will love it.

KazeEternal said:

August 28th, 9:38 am

@Jeff Rubenstien

I know that Bloggers have found a new love affair with Twitter and all, but could you guys be a little less reliant on it.

I fricken hate twitter and I absolutely hate relying on 3 technologies to get my daily news on what the hell is going on. Go to your browser here, use an RSS here (I like RSS btw), twitter here I MEAN COME ON!

You spend a year getting us working with the blog and then throw twitter at us. I don’t like tweets I don’t want to be tweeted at, tweeting, or tweet jerking. I had to find out second hand about the update delays.

So Future Solution:
POST ON THE DAMN BLOG! Hell we got more out of 2.80 then we did for the store update for shame.

Have the firmware guys make a mod for the store to let us know if there are difficulties updating when we check the store.

Parapraxis said:

August 28th, 9:40 am

Thanks BlooodyCow!
It was the FlashBlock that was making it wonky.
Works great now =)

dragonarya said:

August 28th, 9:41 am

Can you upload your own music from your hard drive to the radio?

syk1288 said:

August 28th, 9:46 am

SonyPlaystation twitter account: “The PlayStation Store will be updating soon. Keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog for the full content list when the update is live.” 24 minutes ago.

I guess it will be up in an hour. They should post here though. I don’t use twitter nor like it.

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

August 28th, 9:47 am

One question!

In-Game XMB Music?????

Cobra1 said:

August 28th, 9:52 am

Friday, Unicorn Theater… Got it! See you there!

x-former said:

August 28th, 9:56 am

Looks freakin great!! Day one…but even without the space exploration it was still day one…this is just the icing on the cake.

Shin-Ra said:

August 28th, 9:57 am

Space looks so much better and the moons are especially appealing.

yostane said:

August 28th, 10:01 am

Lot of new cool stuff

BigBoss712 said:

August 28th, 10:12 am

It sure is looking awesome, i recently played the first one and loved it.

kaliber950 said:

August 28th, 10:12 am

Awesome, I’m guessing that’s how we can access the Insomniac moon. I really can’t wait!

Quamina said:

August 28th, 10:16 am

looks amazing R&C does it again!

john7doe_ said:

August 28th, 10:18 am

Hey James, any word on whats coming in the European Special Edition yet? ;)

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

August 28th, 10:24 am

SCEE will announce eventually. :-)

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

August 28th, 10:19 am

Hey James, I just wanted to say that I just finished Resistance 2 yesterday, and it’s a great game, great ending also just a bit short.

Thanks for making such great exclusives, I have to buy Resistance Retribution now :)

DeathGazer said:

August 28th, 10:19 am

Whoa, space exploration with sidequests and radio stations?

As a huge sandbox fan, this is pretty much the best news ever.

Dann7978 said:

August 28th, 10:22 am

Is there any multiplayer in this one

Ghost_Shrimp said:

August 28th, 10:27 am

Oh man that is awesome.

There are too many good games coming out in October. I wish you guys would spread out a little… Your probably just losing sales.

Dustinwp said:

August 28th, 10:32 am

Ratchet & Clank never gets old!It’s probably my favorite video game series ever.Seems Insomniac has made another AAA title and that’s not to surprising. Thanks for the great games Insomniac!

quiomar01 said:

August 28th, 10:35 am

Excited. Couldn’t help but think of Mario Galaxy when I saw the gameplay on the moon. Can’t wait to get my hands on the game.

Just curious. How many weapons will I unlock from my Tools of Destruction save, if any?

superstewie said:

August 28th, 10:36 am

can we ever expect a ratchet RPG?
:D

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

August 28th, 10:42 am

On the fence about this one, Insomniac is not as good as they once were, so I’m gonna have to wait and see.

Kornkid52 said:

August 28th, 10:46 am

will the new R&C still have the skill point system. need to bring back the Vid-Comics from R&C:UYA to the PSN i would buy it

Hamood07 said:

August 28th, 10:47 am

So the zoni are the only currency to upgrade your ship ?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

August 28th, 1:21 pm

That\’s correct. Zoni energy is used to repair and upgrade your ship.

mafecto said:

August 28th, 10:47 am

looks awesome, insomniac is the s***

Mot345 said:

August 28th, 10:56 am

OMG I just got 10x more excited for this game!

TheGuardianFID said:

August 28th, 10:56 am

The game is looking fantastic James, the space exploration gameplay looks great, consider it SOLD!!! :D

LonelyHunter86 said:

August 28th, 11:02 am

is there a speciel CA for US ?

apuci said:

August 28th, 11:02 am

it is awesome!!!!!
When Scee will announce Special Edition’s contents?
Just a date…..
Like 2nd of Sept. or else…

mocte32 said:

August 28th, 11:08 am

any news for resistance 3 or something

Jon_Mclane said:

August 28th, 11:31 am

oh man, I still have a sealed copy of tools of destruction sitting on my shelf that I bought last june. I’m so ashamed of myself

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

August 28th, 1:21 pm

Well hurry then, you need to finish before it comes out!

MaceWisdom said:

August 28th, 11:35 am

Lools great! Can’t wait!

VenomXv said:

August 28th, 11:38 am

I own Quest for Booty and Tools of Destruction. This game is day one!

FRANKMAN1 said:

August 28th, 11:48 am

OMG, this looks awesome, my favorite Ps exclusive, and this game are goin to be AWESOME! I NEED IT REALLY NEED IT

HypnoticMonkey said:

August 28th, 11:55 am

@ James

What are the chances of this title having in-game custom music?

Enigma777 said:

August 28th, 12:05 pm

I’m happy to see that you guys changed the space combat bits. I honestly hated the ones in ToD. This game is looking better and better! Now announce a MP component and it will be gravy!

FRANKMAN1 said:

August 28th, 12:15 pm

@James

Us are not planning on make a demo for this awesome game? i hope yes :)

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

August 28th, 1:21 pm

There will be a downloadable demo.

KwietStorm said:

August 28th, 12:19 pm

Space exploration is definitely something I wanted to see in Tools of Destruction. It adds a more open feel to the game.

RogueCommando said:

August 28th, 12:22 pm

what starts with a Multi and ends with a player? multiplayer!!!!

bk7894 said:

August 28th, 12:24 pm

awesome the grapics looks better than the last game

Gman2989 said:

August 28th, 1:01 pm

This is an awesome piece of news. I have wished for the ability to pilot those planet to planet sequences ever since the first game!

Just a quick question for you guys, can you comment on any possible co-op?

exenpipp said:

August 28th, 1:43 pm

Will there be an European demo?

Looking forward to this game!

xiked said:

August 28th, 1:57 pm

Looks to be the best R&C yet! Will buy The CE in Europe! Love you guys!

PS. I hope you will ether polish R3 as much as you have don whit Crack in time or make a new IP. Maybe an competitor to Fable? That would be epic!

FearMonkey said:

August 28th, 2:02 pm

Can’t wait for this. I love all the Ratchet games. <3 <3 <3

And thanks for making the Insomniac Moon avaiable to everybody, not just GameStop pre-orders. :)

J_S_R_C_N said:

August 28th, 2:23 pm

@James
Any word on when the US box art will be released? And will this Super Boss Battle be the hardest ever?

Zonified said:

August 28th, 2:35 pm

Amazing! I can’t wait to finally play this game. I’m also really interested in finding out more about the Zoni.

One question: Does ACIT come out in the UK the same time as it does in NA and how much will it be? I’ve got to know these things so I can import it. :)

CaptainKratos said:

August 28th, 2:36 pm

For radio USA this is Henry Stillman.lol.
I want to pick up this game i only played the first R&C :(