Knack 2

Sep 24

Sep 24

The Zombie Apocalypse is Upon Us!

Mark Cooke's Avatar Posted by Lead Systems Designer, Nihilistic Software

Today on PSN a shambling mass of rotting corpses have appeared and are threatening the safety of the human race on Earth. You can do your part to fight back the zombie hordes in our new game, Zombie Apocalypse, developed by Nihilistic Software and published by Konami. For $9.99 you’ll shoot loads of zombies with one to four players fighting cooperatively in an online enabled zombie kill fest.

When Nihilistic first sat down and thought about creating a downloadable title, we immediately wanted to do it in the horror genre. We’ve got a lot of zombie and horror fans here. Not to mention some hardcore fans of old-school shooters. Combining the two felt logical and Zombie Apocalypse was born.

Zombie Apocalypse 1

Thematic inspiration was drawn primarily from classic zombie films of the 70s and 80s. Two films in particular are ZOMBIE (aka Zombi 2) by Lucio Fulci, and Nightmare City by Umberto Lenzi. The first level in Zombie Apocalypse is set in an airport which is a homage to Nightmare City. If you haven’t heard of either of these films and don’t mind some bad acting they are both incredible zombie gore fests. They are definitely not for the squeamish!

The game design was inspired primarily by two old-school shooters. The first was Robotron, a classic and innovator in the dual-stick shooter genre. In fact, the internal codename for Zombie Apocalypse during development was “Zombitron”. At the beginning of Zombie Apocalypse’s development, we held an internal Robotron tournament to get prepared. The second was gamer favorite Smash TV. We built upon the gore and arena combat of Smash TV by adding environmental hazards into our arenas that will tear zombies to shreds, blow them up, or light them on fire when you blast zombies into them.

Zombie Apocalypse 2

Zombie Apocalypse is all about survival and scoring big. When playing with friends either on the same console or online, the team is working toward a shared score. So to do well and hit the top of the leaderboards you’ve got to work together. Here are three PlayStation Blog-exclusive tips for hitting as high of a score as possible, applicable to either single or multiplayer:

• The survivor characters all have chainsaws that you can pull out at any time. Use the chainsaw to grapple by pressing and holding the L1 button to score an instant kill on a zombie and to increase your score multiplier by three. Just be careful to not use the attack in the middle of a group of zombies, as it leaves you vulnerable for a moment as it ends. Try to lead a lone zombie away from the group then chainsaw them in half.
  • Make use of the environmental hazards. For example, blast zombies with your shotgun into the wood chipper in the Logging Camp level. Each hazard kill gives you an additional 5,000 points on top of the points you would have scored otherwise.
  • Use the zombie bait grenade not just to kill a bunch of zombies but to lead them to environmental hazards to score more points. In the Graveyard level you can throw the bait into the open grave and then shoot zombies directly into it to put them back to rest and get your hazard bonus.

If you reach the point where you think you can easily handle a Zombie Apocalypse and want an even bigger challenge be sure to unlock Hardcore Mode, one of our six unlockable game modes. Hardcore Mode restricts each survivor to starting with just one life and no extra lives are granted. That means you’ve only got one chance to try to score big on the special Hardcore Mode leaderboard. To unlock Hardcore Mode, complete seven consecutive days (missions) in the normal game mode without dying. Additional unlockable modes include Blackout Mode, where all the lights turn off except for one small light per player, and 7 Days of Hell Mode, where the survivors are tasked to survive through a week of sepia toned zombie mayhem.

Zombie Apocalypse Queen Zombie Apocalypse Kamikaze

So hit the store later today and get Zombie Apocalypse for PS3! But we are not just developers — we’re givers too! So to celebrate the launch of Zombie Apocalypse we will be giving away 25 codes for the game on the PlayStation Twitter feed. But make sure you’ve read this post, as there might be little pop quiz via Twitter! So keep your eyes peeled to Twitter later today after our PlayStation Store Update goes live!

Hope to see you online fighting back the zombie invasion with me!

Zombie Apocalypse 4

Add Your Own

Jeigh said:

September 24th, 1:18 pm

Four players!? Online Enabled!?

You have done a very good thing here. It would be wrong of me not to reward such things. Dare I say, it would be a bad thing on my part to not acknowledge the good thing on your part through some form of monetary compensation. How would I do that? Hm… =P

@BIGMUCKMACHINE

Well, when the woman (live woman) died, so would the baby. If the baby actually survived, err, didn’t die–erhmm… Dammit, you know what I mean– anyway, it’d be undead. It wouldn’t be a very good one though. It’d probably be killed long before it even learned how to crawl. Actually, since it’s a zombie, and never had a brain, it would never learn how to do anything, since zombies work on residual muscle-memory. The thing would be an undead paralytic for all intents and purposes.

John-Shooter said:

September 24th, 1:18 pm

if i didnt already own games like this then i would buy it

seems like theres more and more clones coming out with different titles

AceBeeDee said:

September 24th, 1:24 pm

i own a couple copies of Zombie 2. Nightmare City sounds familiar but of course i’ve never seen it. Thanks for talking about it, though, cuz now i’ll hunt it down for sure! Been waiting for this game since it was 1st announced. TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT. thx

Pocus said:

September 24th, 1:25 pm

This game looks awesome!

But I am saddened by the Xbox 360 development screens being used to show the PS3 version of the game.

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 1:32 pm

Sharp eye, Pocus! Sorry about that.

What I can definitely say is that Zombie Apocalypse plays flawlessly on PS3 and looks exactly the same as it does in the screens in this post.

Atomika14 said:

September 24th, 1:28 pm

@ 47:

Ewwwww…

TylerDurden92 said:

September 24th, 1:37 pm

this game looks awesome, why cant i find it on PSN to download??

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 1:39 pm

The game will go live in the next few hours when the PlayStation Store is updated.

Thank you for your patience!

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 1:39 pm

Zombie Apocalypse will be on PSN in the next few hours, as soon as the PlayStation Store update goes live.

Thank you for your patience!

VanilaGorila-x- said:

September 24th, 1:39 pm

@56

The PSN Store hasn’t been updated yet..

VG

OverlordLaharl said:

September 24th, 1:41 pm

Mmm don’t know if this has been ask, but is there voice chat on online play? PLEASE tell the game got it!

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 1:45 pm

Yes, Zombie Apocalypse supports voice chat when playing online.

jb1112 said:

September 24th, 1:41 pm

SWEET DEAL!!!! I ready for my free redem code. I got “BURN ZOMBIE BURN”. I’m ready for any zombie game to hit the market.

subabu said:

September 24th, 1:42 pm

will anyone be my friend?

EddyC__ said:

September 24th, 1:44 pm

Where’s My Chainsaw!?!?!?!?!!!!

VanilaGorila-x- said:

September 24th, 1:47 pm

@ 61

Apparently you didn’t read the story?

VG

Rene_Led said:

September 24th, 1:48 pm

Wow this game reminds me of Resident Evil 2, Zombie killing on the streets ;)

Loks a bit more promising than Burn Zombies ;)

MatheAdi said:

September 24th, 1:49 pm

SO SIKED FOR THIS!! Thanks for making game that will keep me hopefully preoccupied for the rest of this month

plaztiksyke said:

September 24th, 1:49 pm

What native resolution does the game render in? 720p? 1080p? Is FSAA enabled?

Are the audio assets 24-bit and/or lossless? Are they output as LPCM for those of us using HDMI?

A 4-player local co-op dual stick shooter sounds awesome, so long as it’s not a shovelware port from the 360 using the lowest-common-denominator asset quality. Will there be a demo available?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 2:19 pm

The PS3 version is not a port – Zombie Apocalypse was developed from the beginning on the PS3 and thus there is no difference in asset quality between either version of the game.

There will be a demo on PSN.

Those are some great technical questions, you definitely know your tech stuff! The game renders in 720p. Sounds use ADPCM compression.

larninja said:

September 24th, 2:00 pm

this seems like an awesome game

Shin-X said:

September 24th, 2:13 pm

I will be buying this as soon as it hits the PSN!

Also Nihilistic, Conan was an enjoyable game (although the final boss battle was pretty annoying). I am sorry it didnt sell very well.

AlphaTribe2007 said:

September 24th, 2:14 pm

This looks like the 360 version?

Might have to think twice about getting this one. I believe the PS3 is way too good for 360 ports.

I know this is the case for many games but still. Games can look so much better, how much longer do we have to be the stepchild

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 2:20 pm

The PS3 release of Zombie Apocalypse is absolutely not a port – it was developed from day one on the PS3.

awsome_robot said:

September 24th, 2:18 pm

What are my chances of buying the game and turn into a zombie? I just met a girl and she would be disappointed in me… not to mention how awkward it would be when I meet her parents. (Game looks like a lot of fun).

CRONIC_GAMER said:

September 24th, 2:20 pm

It’s my birthday I didn’t even get an e-card or anything from them oh well

ghamdikh1 said:

September 24th, 2:21 pm

@Mark Cooke

Read this OFFER AND gave me your opinion:

or this

or this

if you interested (Nihilistic Software) why not give it a try.

SmokeAdellic said:

September 24th, 2:22 pm

bad reviews on this game already…….dead nation will probably be better since its an exclusive but if this has in game xmb music i might consider buying.

smokey_vols said:

September 24th, 2:22 pm

I wish the store would hurry up and update. I bought a PSN card just for this game :) .

stlthriot said:

September 24th, 2:28 pm

Looks like yet another fun PSN game and having a demo will help. :)

Trieloth said:

September 24th, 2:38 pm

Its good to see that I wasnt the only person that has played smash tv and liked it, lol. Iam sure I will get this game because its so simular.

MrBeatdown said:

September 24th, 2:38 pm

I’m not the biggest fan of downloadable games but this one sounds pretty cool. I hope the demo has online co-op.

I’m curious, how does the game adjust to 1-4 players? Are there more zombies or a higher difficulty level depending on the number of players?

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 2:46 pm

There are a couple of gameplay elements that adjust based on the number of players. First and foremost the zombies are tougher and can take more of a beating before you can blow them into zombie bits. It is also more challenging to obtain extra lives.

Those are the most obvious two examples of the changes but there are some more subtle changes as well. For example, if one teammate is hogging all of the weapon power-ups then the game gets a lot more challenging for the rest of the players. ;-)

Azerath39 said:

September 24th, 2:47 pm

I am not twitter savy, how would I even go about trying to win one of the free codes on PS’s twitter site?

Cloudburst-- said:

September 24th, 2:49 pm

Another game DELAYED on the UK store. I don’t see why everyone in the EU doesn’t just create and use a US store account. Seriously. . .maybe then we wouldn’t get treated like second class citizens. Honestly the EU store treats us like we have leprosy. Fire them all.

Anubis80 said:

September 24th, 2:51 pm

Looks like Im off to the store this weekend to get a PSN card.

kNoWlEdGe22 said:

September 24th, 2:52 pm

Hey Mark Cooke… In-game, custom soundtracks?

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 3:01 pm

I don\’t think it is supported but I will be sure to let the programmers know this is a feature lots of people want.

Azerath39 said:

September 24th, 2:55 pm

@77 what are you complaining about, we still have not recieved Trine over here, Ihave a EU account and last week we were seriously shorted compared to you guys.

theFLOW said:

September 24th, 2:57 pm

Been looking forwards to this one for a while, I’ll definitely be getting it today.

One thing I was hoping for was the ability to play on the same PS3 with my brother and get online to have two others play. Is Nihilistic Software planning on bringing updates to the game? I would love for that feature to be added in.

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 2:59 pm

I\’ll definitely get that request in front of the development team. Thanks.

DeviantBoi said:

September 24th, 3:01 pm

It’s good to see Nihilistic still making games. I still have the Vampire: The Masquerade Collector’s Edition from way back then. I still consider it one of the best CEs I have bought.

trev456 said:

September 24th, 3:02 pm

Awesome, I will definitely try for one of those codes!

kNoWlEdGe22 said:

September 24th, 3:04 pm

Concerning Mark Cooke’s response to post #79…

Thanks for letting your colleagues know! It’s a cool feature that I’m sure would be greatly appreciated in your game… looking forward to the update!

kNoWlEdGe22 said:

September 24th, 3:07 pm

Concerning Mark Cooke’s response to post # 79

Thanks for letting your colleagues know… it’s a feature that I use A LOT in games that support it and I’m sure it would be appreciated in this game… looking forward to downloading the game later today…

davidbeaudin said:

September 24th, 3:09 pm

yeah psn updated, now im waiting for that contest to go up :)
hope it goes up real soon

Savage1969 said:

September 24th, 3:14 pm

Downloading now, it’s up!

Erasure242 said:

September 24th, 3:16 pm

Mark, you quoted 2 Awesome Italian flicks in Lenzi’s Nightmare City and Fulci’s Zombi 2… That alone shows me that you guys LOVE the zombie genre and it proves much love was put into the making of this game!

kaotekk said:

September 24th, 3:24 pm

@80 in that case you are right, but trine last week and FFVIII today are raaare exeptions – the EU stores are a [DELETED] ones compared with the US, imo :(

whatever, finally downloading!! tense like a rubber band :) thanks for the game!

MaskedJackal said:

September 24th, 3:29 pm

I agree. Umberto Lenzi and Lucio Fulci rule.

Cecker said:

September 24th, 3:33 pm

Hey Mark, nice game thanks.

btw: When arrive this Game on the EU Store? Thx for the Answer ;)

Mark Cooke's Avatar

Mark Cooke said:

September 24th, 4:01 pm

Hi Cecker, I don\’t have a specific date for PSN Europe yet but it should be very soon. Unless something catastrophic happens it will be in October.

Angdogg said:

September 24th, 3:35 pm

When will the question be asked to try to maybe recieve a free game voucher code?

Also, would love to see custom soundtracks and maybe the possibility to play with a couple friends on and offline at the sametime…

Great Game though!
Demo is Awesome!

NoCanSurf said:

September 24th, 3:49 pm

Mark
Are the Zombies ‘evil’ or ‘just misguided undead that haven’t been giving the opportunity to be creative in a non-flesh eating way’?

I won’t feel very good about ‘killing’ zombies unless they are really old school evil. You know? Maybe, if the zombies are misunderstood and they just need to giving love and support. Zombies don’t find much support and help in the world of the living.

Has any one really listened to what the Zombies are saying? Have we thought of their point of view? The Zombies are lashing out because they don’t feel they belong in the world of the living.

Can’t we all just get along?!

Mind_tricK said:

September 24th, 3:50 pm

Twitter giveaway. GO. please go.

OverlordLaharl said:

September 24th, 3:57 pm

Chainsawwwwwwwww

Mind_tricK said:

September 24th, 3:58 pm

CHAINSAW!!!

skrillazoe said:

September 24th, 3:58 pm

chainsaw

OverlordLaharl said:

September 24th, 3:58 pm

That was for twitter btw.. hope i had to answer here lol

deadskies said:

September 24th, 3:58 pm

What time will the codes start to be given out? I just signed up to Twitter to try for one.