Marvel's Spider-Man

Oct 02

Oct 02

It Only Does UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves

Peter Dille's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

It’s an incredibly exciting time for PlayStation. We’re experiencing tremendous momentum on the new 120 GB PS3 and yesterday launched the PSPgo which press are touting as an “evolutionary step-up model” and “the most high-powered handheld video-game machine on the market.” And we haven’t even started talking about one of the most anticipated games this year, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, which is just around the corner.

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves is blowing everyone away. It is the best adventure yet from the Naughty Dog team and is well on track to be one of the best games of all time with a 97% rating on Metacritic and 14 perfect review scores. Some are saying that, “if this were a movie, it’d gross a couple hundred million dollars” (thanks GamePro), and many are calling it one of the year’s best action-adventure games. It’s probably an understatement when we say we’re excited for the release. And based on the pre-order numbers, we know many of you will be very busy on October 13.

In my earlier posts about our “It Only Does Everything” campaign, I mentioned that Kevin Butler won’t just be focusing on the PS3’s hardware superiority but would also be rolling out software specific advertisements. We’re excited to give you a sneak peak at the first of these spots, showcasing UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves. In this next installment in our campaign, Kevin fields a “Dear PlayStation” question from a conflicted boyfriend facing the dilemma of telling his girlfriend that UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves is not actually a movie, but in fact, a game. We hope you enjoy what a lot of people here voted as one of their favorite spots in the campaign.

We’re only just getting warmed up for the holiday and still have a bunch more spots to unveil. Tell me what you think and get out and pick up this game! I’ll leave you with the quote from PlayStation: The Official Magazine, “Forget ‘game of the year.’ This is one of the best games of all time.”

Enjoy!
Peter

Add Your Own

The3DGalaxian said:

October 2nd, 6:49 pm

Good ad

walnoj said:

October 2nd, 7:05 pm

Best ad yet.

spectyre said:

October 2nd, 7:05 pm

Hey… I want a PS logo coffee mug. If there only for employees, I can be the “vice president of irrelevant posts on the PS blog”.

MakulaTolkien said:

October 2nd, 7:14 pm

lmao!!!! great commercial guys, you’ve been doing an excellent job with the commercials, keep it up! :)

Terror660 said:

October 2nd, 7:27 pm

Great ad guys, keep up the work (btw the woman in the ad is hot.) Who else agrees with me? lol

ixnine said:

October 2nd, 7:37 pm

Nice! awesome ad, Sony. I can’t wait for more. Perhaps God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5? LittleBigPlanet PSP would be awesome to.

BrianC6234 said:

October 2nd, 7:46 pm

That’s what you call a great commercial. Great job Sony.

toosharp4u said:

October 2nd, 8:35 pm

Mr Dille, I want to say that Sony and SCEA are doing a great job to win back their fan base. I’ve been a Playstation owner since day 1. Although I own all of the other current gen systems, the Playstation 3 60 GB is the system that my family and I turn on and use every day. The system really does everything that I want today. I use it to store all of our digital pictures and movies, we use it to watch our Blu-Ray movies, we love the Playstation Network and the demos. And the games have come along so well over the last few years. I am really looking forward to Uncharted 2. I am excited to see more and try the Motion controller and Eye Pet. Your system truly is a media center for my home. I would honestly trade in my other systems for another PS3 in my master bedroom, but I bet the wife wouldn’t like that!
Good work Sony. Keep it up. Remember the core fans and we’ll keep supporting you.

Game_Guy said:

October 2nd, 8:39 pm

Keep the commercials coming with that guy! He is awesome :) just look at his face when the “good boyfriend’s” Smokin Hot girlfriend walks in with popcorn- o.O “I am going to file this in not and issue” ha! classic :)

jazhers said:

October 2nd, 8:59 pm

LOL tooo funny, loved it !!!

Shadowchasers said:

October 2nd, 9:14 pm

Kevin Butler is a great character, keep those ads coming! Those of you complaining about the ‘Sexist’ leaning of this ad (and I can see your point) might remember the funny one with Kevin being all girl-talky with the Girlfriend whose boyfriend was too dumb to connect his PS3 to the internet. :)

Humor is as humor does, they say.

TwiztedR3DHead said:

October 2nd, 9:40 pm

Nice one.

ndw4 said:

October 2nd, 9:47 pm

is the PS Store down or something. I keep getting the message-“This service is not available in your country/region”. It sucks cause I was about to buy God of War Chains of Olympus for my PSP Go

King_Zach said:

October 2nd, 10:54 pm

We need a LBP commercial, plz sony plz!!!
That game is so under sold for how good it is. It has a frickin 96 on metacritic i mean come on only 2 million sales.
Also awesome ad

HITman8504 said:

October 2nd, 11:04 pm

oh god!!! HIlarious!!! keep em’ coming PS!!! PS4EVER!!!

FUCHIPATAS said:

October 3rd, 12:17 am

Extremely more clever than the lame $299.99 spot.

CaptainKratos said:

October 3rd, 12:50 am

LMAO!!! “its been 2 days”lol. awesome!

ToNDCXIII said:

October 3rd, 12:51 am

NOOOOOOO AT 16seconds THE WHOLE F*****G GAME PLOT RUINED FOR ME WAY TO GO SONY RUIN THE GAME IN ONE LITTLE ADVERTISEMENT I HAVE NOT WATCHED A SINGLE REVIEW OF THE GAME FOR THIS VERY RESON IM REALLY PISSED OFF NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lordfuneral said:

October 3rd, 1:08 am

Hello, I would like to know if this TV spot will be available in France to promote the game ?
It would be great to broadcast more TV spots (advertissement in general) in France concerning PS3 games and the PS3 itself ;)
Thanks

This is a good TV ad, funny and easy to understand :) (Uncharted 2 collector is already pre-ordered for me)
Thanks SONY for your hardware and softwares.

crXss said:

October 3rd, 2:05 am

Dear Playstation Blog,

You are KILLING ME with the Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition suspense. I am DYING!

-crXss

tarbis said:

October 3rd, 2:47 am

Uncharted 1 was great and really like what they did on Nathan Drake. Many of you would hate me for this but I think Nathan is better than Indiana Jones, make no mistake, I’m a fan of Indiana Jones and had watched the movies, but Nathan for me is better.
Can’t wait for U2 and the Uncharted movie =D

Booya

Stalker666_ said:

October 3rd, 3:19 am

Epicness at it’s best

CerealxKiller13 said:

October 3rd, 3:36 am

cant believe how many people never played the first uncharted, my fav game on ps3 one of the first titles i owned, heard about a second one and i cant wait!!! the multiplayer demo is amazing and not like your normal multiplayers that get dull and boring after playing it. uncharted 2 best game on ps3 so far! main reason why everyone should sell their crappy xboxes for a ps3!

daffycare said:

October 3rd, 4:22 am

this game is going to be fantastic,if it was a movie it would do fantastic, will there ever be a movie of it.

dragon_unleashed said:

October 3rd, 4:29 am

I really hope this wil come in Europe, we dutch love this kind of commercials, with a little humor .Tis commercial rulezzz SONY

SlashStriker said:

October 3rd, 4:43 am

These commercials just rock xD

SMoKeY_RuN said:

October 3rd, 4:46 am

You guys should have Kevin do the 2010 E3 press conference. It would be pure gold if you could capture the tone of these commercials for a 90-120 minute conference. And it’d actually be fresh for once, instead of the same old E3 press conference we see every year from the big three.

that-acmilan-guy said:

October 3rd, 4:51 am

Thats great and all, but the PSP Go is a letdown, mostly because of its price, it should be 150$ cuz its old.

Athenieus said:

October 3rd, 4:57 am

have to agree with everyone, great job on marketing guys.

daniel1908 said:

October 3rd, 5:04 am

I love Uncharted 2. But I have a problem with the demo that was released on Tuesday. After about 15mins my PS3 Shuts Down and a Red Light Flashes. This happened on four occasions while playing Uncharted 2. All my other games wok as they should both offline and online. Hope the full game does not do this to my PS3. Will be getting it DAY 1!!!

s_S-killaz336 said:

October 3rd, 5:04 am

Psp go the most high powerd video game hand held in the world??????????????????? I thought it was the iPod touch..

Onna76_NL said:

October 3rd, 5:39 am

The commercial is really hilarious and I understand the idea, but why do you always have to put girls as idiots in the commercials? You do realize that an amount of gamers are female and they (me for example) play Uncharted?!

By the way, do more people have trouble with PSN? It seems there’s some disturbance due to maintenance since yesterday. I’m not receiving messages and my entire PSN friends list is messed up now.

Onna76_NL said:

October 3rd, 5:42 am

@dragon_unleashed true but then the Dutch should create their own commercials as they’ve proven to be very good at it (Centraal Beheer Apeldoorn xD)

RedHarlow said:

October 3rd, 5:53 am

@ Playstation Blog

Please post the new Spot with Kevin Buttler where he plays e-guitar.

That’s an awesome spot too.

kandal978 said:

October 3rd, 6:12 am

Awesome!!!! Love it

UnKn0nSldr86 said:

October 3rd, 6:40 am

wow, so the ps3 only does “everything”? can it get me a hot girlfriend like the one on the commercial? didn’t think so…

AuthorityZro said:

October 3rd, 7:32 am

Finally, Sony has come up with a commercial that is relevant to the American media… not more crying babies, and floating playstations to confuse anybody.

Sembazuru said:

October 3rd, 8:04 am

Actually, the story line(s) of many of the games I play (Uncharted, Resistance, Bio Shock, inFamous, etc) have actually saved my marriage. My wife doesn’t mind that I can spend 8+ hours a day on the weekend (or on my days off) playing a game because the games are like a really long movie. There are actually a couple games I’m not supposed to play without her being around, and I’m under orders to finish BioShock a second time around to get the alternate order. Being “ordered” to play a game that I enjoy, sounds like marital bliss to me. ;-)

secularsage said:

October 3rd, 8:15 am

Hi Peter.

1) It Only Does Everything campaign: A step in the right direction. After three years of awful ads and positioning statements, it’s nice to see you guys finally focusing on the features.

2) Uncharted 2: It’s going to be an amazing title. But you guys need to be careful about hyping one title. The Playstation brand’s strength has never been single titles; it’s been giant libraries of great titles. Nintendo has its 1st party titles, and the Xbox family has Halo. But Playstation has a killer library of great games that appeal to everyone. Remember that. It’s important when you guys craft your future marketing strategies.

3) PSPGo: I don’t think you’ve been reading the same articles I have. I’ve seen the device skewered by a bunch of people. I think Ars Technica’s scathing article reflects the views most people have: it’s an overpriced dud that doesn’t benefit gamers in any meaningful way.

Good luck to you guys. I love Sony products, but I really wish you guys could come into the 21st century with your marketing strategies.

cuddles1 said:

October 3rd, 8:33 am

I love the only does everything adds i think they are great! Why dont they show them in the uk our ps3 add are so dull! Its funny in the uk i seem to always be channel jumping to avoid adverts in general even ps3 ones but then spending time on the interwebs looking for the u.s ones surely that tells ya somethe scee!

echogridlock said:

October 3rd, 8:36 am

LMFOL This is so true my girlfriend who is now my wife would sit for hours watching me play the first uncharted. Ive tryed to get her to play but shes so content on watching. She even required me to pre-order uncharted 2, making it the first game I have ever pre-ordered.

B-RadGfromOV said:

October 3rd, 8:44 am

@Einhander138
You’re a fool if you think the single player campaign is “gimped”.

GOT2BALL said:

October 3rd, 8:46 am

Rofl that commercial is great.

Wuggyboobeaufuf said:

October 3rd, 9:17 am

@192

Multiplayer = gimped single player.

Fact.

un-discovered said:

October 3rd, 9:18 am

Lol.. now that’s a smart commercial.

station3fever said:

October 3rd, 9:32 am

Great commercial but “It Only Does UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves?” change the title.

Mindplague said:

October 3rd, 9:37 am

Great ads! Please bring these to Canada too!

Vengeful-Chaos said:

October 3rd, 9:55 am

It’s about time you get your act together and market things better, it’s an added bonus that the commercials are actually worth watching.

The Kevin Butler guy with new titles every commercial is awesome.

MarinoBrea said: