Overwatch

Oct 08

Oct 08

Critter Crunch Out Today on PSN! OM NOM NOM NOM!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Capy

CritterCrunch Logo

Hello friends!

This is it! Today is the day! Critter Crunch is out in North America! So this afternoon, turn on your PlayStation 3, log on to the PlayStation Store, and download it! It’s only $6.99!

Until then, check out our launch trailer entitled “A Barf In The Night”:

For those of you unfamiliar with Capy’s hand-animated 60 frames-per-second arcade-puzzle extravaganza, here’s a quick recap:

• Crazy Single Player Modes: Adventure, Puzzle, Challenge and Survival
  • Crazy Multiplayer Modes: Versus and Co-Op (offline and online via the Playstation Network)
  • Crazy Trophies!
  • Barf!
Critter Crunch New Screen

And just in case you missed the first batch of reviews, here are a couple of handy links to help you get up to speed with the word on the street:

Destructoid says:

“With Critter Crunch, Capybara has designed one of the most original and endearing titles the puzzle genre has seen in years…With solid gameplay mechanics and the iconic character designs of Biggs and company, it’s a game that belongs in any puzzle fan’s digital library.”

IGN says:

“It sets a new standard for graphics in the genre and is simply one of the best looking games on PSN. Luckily, it also has the gameplay to back up the looks. No puzzle fan should miss this. Even if you don’t consider yourself a fan of the genre, you’ll likely find Biggs’ charm hard to resist.”

And for those of you that just ADORE rainbow-colored spew, here’s another trailer just for kicks:

Yikes! That’s a whole lot of Critter Crunch up in this post. Go forth, Critter Crunch fans, and multiply.

See you online!

Kris

Add Your Own

hush404 said:

October 8th, 12:51 pm

So… you eat stuff in a puzzle game to barf up rainbows? Thats awesom.e

nv_Los said:

October 8th, 12:51 pm

i saw in your official website some Critter Sony characters, any chance will be seeing them in the game?

xaos said:

October 8th, 12:53 pm

I’ll be grabbing this after work today; let me just say that it’s always nice to see developers who are enthusiastic and eager to interact with us lowly ps.blog proles :)

Trucidation said:

October 8th, 12:53 pm

in ur gamez, crunch’n ur critterz

Vex_Doppel said:

October 8th, 12:54 pm

FNA!
I’m going to love this game.
I already talked someone else into buying the game too.
I searched out all your interviews and love your “Own-PR” way of doing things.
I’d like to dedicate an LBP level to you guys but need your permission I think for using Biggs n Smalls.
MM is pretty cool, I bet you could get permission to make SackBiggs. Hot Shots Golf was able to use Sackboy. I’d love seeing Biggs in LBP too.

EXTREME KUDOS!!!!

Neil said:

October 8th, 12:54 pm

This would make for a nice refreshing break from playing Demon’s Souls.

tetsou9shima said:

October 8th, 12:55 pm

I wasn’t really interested in this until I saw the price point. Very reasonable…. well done. other PSN titles need to look to you as an example because now I’ll buy your product.

starBlinky01 said:

October 8th, 12:57 pm

I had a dream about this last night. Dont remember exactly what happened in it, something about rainbow colored barf though

Cheddare said:

October 8th, 1:04 pm

Kinda need the store updated :) Would make my purchasing of the game from said store alot easier.

Great work! Hope the store updates very very soon can’t wait to get my cappy on

Lord_Von_Punx said:

October 8th, 1:08 pm

Can you turn off the H.U.D><?

Lord_Von_Punx said:

October 8th, 1:09 pm

also will this have Remote Play???

Lord_Von_Punx said:

October 8th, 1:11 pm

Also is there Remote Play?

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Nathan Vella said:

October 8th, 1:22 pm

Sorry, no remote play for now. We\’ll consider patching it in if we get some solid interest.

Zuler said:

October 8th, 1:11 pm

I saw your reply that you might be having a competition…will it be for the game? If so, how and when will you be doing it? If it isn’t too soon, you anyways easily deserve my money for this, but I want some Fallout DLC as well, and sadly don’t have the funds :( Don’t worry though, Crunching Critters is my top priority, and I will make sure I play this game by the weekend at least! :)

guitain said:

October 8th, 1:14 pm

I once read a blog about what games have taught people. Example: “You grow bigger and all your blue-coloured garments change colour into white, when you eat Magic Mushrooms”.

This is what I will learn from Critter OM NOM NOM Crunch: “There is an extremely cute, adorable and pretty goddamn awesome animal existing somewhere in the world, which actually spews rainbows and burps violently”. And I would actually love to have one…

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Kris Piotrowski said:

October 8th, 1:28 pm

We wanted to show a different side of Biggs: Yes he\’s cute and lovable and barfs rainbows, but if you ever meet one in the wild DO NOT LOOK HIM IN THE EYES!!!

DZORMAGEN said:

October 8th, 1:20 pm

On http://crittercrunch.com/?p=328 this web-site you guys show some awesome skins for Biggs. Please, please, please add these to a future DLC ($1.99-$2.99 for all skins that you can). I will buy the game today for sure!! I knew it was going to be a big hit since day one, and the reviews just justified that!! Congrats on a great game to come on a great system the PS3!

Zezzler said:

October 8th, 1:23 pm

Nice, i love this game on the ipod touch (and the fact that it is a canadian game!!!) it looks amazing i really would like to get it! If ign says its good, than it must be (amirite?)

just wondering though, if it supports custom ingame soundtrack (via XMB)?

any other Uber-Fantastic features that you would like to mension (if you havn’t already)?

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Kris Piotrowski said:

October 8th, 1:29 pm

XMB support is coming hopefully in the first patch.

plaztiksyke said:

October 8th, 1:23 pm

Is the native animation frames 60fps, or were they drawn @ 15 or 30 fps and interpolated?

I love the idea of getting new “skins” as DLC; will they also come with more/different audio assets as well?

Any plans for a Ghostbusters skin like in LBP? That is also a Sony property, after all :)

Buying this as soon as I get home,
keep up the good work!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Nathan Vella said:

October 8th, 1:33 pm

All the animation is done with 60fps \”playback\” in mind. It\’s smooth like butter.

PigChampion said:

October 8th, 1:24 pm

Thank you for bringing this game to PSN!! Destructoid review convinced me almost immediately that it was an insta-buy. I also would love to see the skins come as DLC!!

Zuler said:

October 8th, 1:26 pm

@64 They mentioned that it’ll be nigh-impossible because of copyright, unless Sony be nice to them and let them do it for free. Come on Sony, don’t you know GotY material when you see it? ;)

Mind_tricK said:

October 8th, 1:27 pm

This is a day 1 buy based on the price point alone, never mind the adorable rainbow barfing artwork! I hope more developers realize the significance of a sub $10 pricing system (and I don’t mean $9.99) GO CAPY!

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

October 8th, 1:28 pm

hmm good graphics, art, multiplayer offline and online, 7bucks… I just need to try the demo :) (I don’t buy digital games without trying them first)

DHILIFE said:

October 8th, 1:37 pm

AH Man, this game would be perfect for “Remote Play”. Especially on my new PSPgo. Please, oh Please!!!

SpyDudeFX said:

October 8th, 1:44 pm

Did you make the trophies super difficult? Not a fan of games with excessively time consuming trophies, i.e. play 5000 times online, win 400 matches on a rainy day or something really extreme lol

Keebzerz said:

October 8th, 1:48 pm

Will wait for the demo. Looks fun though.

RyuuNoSekai said:

October 8th, 1:49 pm

This is gonna be awesome! I’m still waiting for the PSN store to update so i can get it!

TheGuardianFID said:

October 8th, 1:51 pm

Consider the game SOLD, It looks great guys, nicely done!!! :D

Gavin20059 said:

October 8th, 1:52 pm

thought this game came out today i don’t even see it in the playstation store

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Kris Piotrowski said:

October 8th, 2:05 pm

hey hey,
    I think the store updates sometimes in the late afternoon? It should be up soon.

ElektroDragon said:

October 8th, 2:01 pm

I am thrilled to see such a fantastic looking new puzzle game coming out at such a realistic price! Well done guys! Will most likely purchase. It really inspires me to make my own games. Now, if only I could figure out how to write games for the PS3 as well, since there is no XNA equivalent!

JLager said:

October 8th, 2:03 pm

I have been checking the store since 3am. It is now 5pm EST and I still don’t see it :(. am I the only one this is happening to?

SpyDudeFX said:

October 8th, 2:04 pm

Thx Nathan, looks like a decent list. I look for a more casual, fun experience with PSN titles than some massive trophy hunt like some devs do. Kudos on not implementing something insane like win 50 online games.

EightBitMonster said:

October 8th, 2:04 pm

WAH! Where is it?!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

Kris Piotrowski said:

October 8th, 2:53 pm

I second this: WAH WHERE IS IT?!?!

Everyone at Capy is logging into the playstation store every 2 seconds:)

SpyDudeFX said:

October 8th, 2:05 pm

Oh yeah, very nice trophy artwork. Well done, I’m buying this tonight!

StrykerIsland said:

October 8th, 2:07 pm

My friends and I are wondering if there’s any way to win one of those awesome t-shirts on your website? We’re in Canada btw.

mkdj011 said:

October 8th, 2:17 pm

sweeeeet! thx for listening to fans about XMB and the price. If I speent money on trash panic I’ll for sure buy this.

BloodiedWraith said:

October 8th, 2:18 pm

I used to have this on my iPhone, but I hated the iPhone and got rid of it. Definitely helped get rid of boredom throughout the day.

Question though, seeing as I just got a PSPgo and I noticed a lot of PSN titles getting PSP ports (Super Stardust, Everyday Shooter, Pixel Junk Monsters, etc) are we going to eventually see a port of this to it as well? I would love to get that for on the go enjoyment.

fleatherhe said:

October 8th, 2:18 pm

I hope you patch it through remote play because I will sadly have to go to school without my beloved Critter Crunch. Maybe a psp release is in order???? (PLEASE!!!!)

onlineatron said:

October 8th, 2:26 pm

I NEED THIS GAME

Please announce a UK date soon!

Blkant said:

October 8th, 2:27 pm

Its amazing how something that cute could look that evil in the video O_o

CRONIC_GAMER said:

October 8th, 2:30 pm

Kris blazes i’m laughing but on the inside I’m jelouse

milkosaurus said:

October 8th, 2:35 pm

totally unrelated but…

any word on point lookout release today??!

MattyPHATty said:

October 8th, 2:36 pm

Sold!!!!

grendizerQ8 said:

October 8th, 2:45 pm

OMG so SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

xeno3d said:

October 8th, 2:47 pm

I have to have this just because it’s completely animated in 2D. Being a character animation student. this stuff is awesome.

Breakpoint25 said:

October 8th, 2:49 pm

This game will be really fun, can’t wait to try it out. I saw the Editors Choice on IGN, thanks for letting us give a free copy away on http://www.PS3Trophies.com

Shin-Ra said:

October 8th, 2:50 pm

I’ll buy as soon as it hits Euro PSN and I’ve beaten Uncharted 2. ;)

jiggyteddy said:

October 8th, 2:52 pm

Definitely a great looking set of trophies. Some of the best designs I’ve seen in a while.

Looking forward to this awesome game!

Trieloth said:

October 8th, 2:54 pm

Its good to see companys still making games using 2D hand drawn art. Keep’em coming, you have my support!

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

October 8th, 3:01 pm

WHY IS MY ACCOUNT BANNED?

ElTomas said:

October 8th, 3:02 pm

What’s the hold-up on this update?

daniel1908 said:

October 8th, 3:03 pm

Great Work to the developers…but I will not be getting this game…sorry…just not my type of game…