Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Nov 12

Nov 12

Braid Available Today on PSN

Joel DeYoung's Avatar Posted by Hothead Games

…and here we are! On behalf of Hothead Games, I’m excited to be able to present you with Braid, available today for $14.99 on PSN in North America. At Hothead, we work diligently to support developers throughout the indie community, and Jonathan Blow, the original creator of the game, has been a particularly great partner (we also worked with him on a Mac version earlier this year).

When Braid first came out, we were really blown away by its combination of unique art style and clever puzzle gameplay, but there was just one problem – it was only on one platform! At Hothead, we really believe strongly in being platform-agnostic (we even ship our games on Linux!), so we thought it only right for PS3 players to have access to Braid too. We got in touch with Jon and suggested working together on realizing his vision on additional platforms.

Braid new screenshot 2

As we collaborated on the project, there were two big things that we always kept in mind – the first was preserving that original impactful moment when the player begins the game, and carrying that sense of artistic wonderment, emotional engagement and unique gameplay all the way to the end, when the player puts down the controller. That was Jon’s vision and is the Braid experience – our task was to preserve that vision and that experience, leveraging the unique features of the PS3 to further enhance it with the amazing 1080p resolution and HD audio, and PSN features like Trophies.

In fact, it was one of the highlights of the project to see the art style come alive on the platform – the PS3 is particularly well-suited to showing off the intense colors and distinctive world of Braid. We took full advantage of the PS3’s hardware to make sure this version of the game never deviates from a smooth 60 FPS.

Braid new screenshot 1

The second big thing that was top of mind for the Hothead team was getting this remarkable game to you as swiftly as possible so that you, too, could enjoy Braid on your platform of choice. We didn’t want to make PS3 owners wait a moment longer than necessary (and Jon agreed) – especially when you’ve already been so patient and so supportive of Braid and indie development!

So, what you’re about to download is a result of that amazing collaborative effort and commitment to Braid’s original immersive experience. We’re pleased and excited to see Braid on PSN and to be able to share it with you.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

tylerdurden30 said:

November 12th, 8:04 am

Definitely picking up! Thanks guys!

Scodo_Thope said:

November 12th, 8:07 am

Another cool looking platformer!

Demo, right?

Wackiegames said:

November 12th, 8:08 am

Sounds really good. But when can we expect it on the EU store?

Joel DeYoung's Avatar

Joel DeYoung said:

November 12th, 9:46 am

I\’ll post on our blog at http://www.hotheadgames.com just as soon as we know the EU launch date. But the approval process in Europe is just taking way longer than we\’d like! It should be soon!

UnKn0nSldr86 said:

November 12th, 8:10 am

not gonna get it. looks like a boring platformer

daniel3334 said:

November 12th, 8:12 am

awesome a must buy for me!!

HerbertFortoon said:

November 12th, 8:16 am

Great game, though it is a pass for me. I have already played this game all the way through on my PC. I think you guys would do better with a lower price point for such an old game. Though don’t get me wrong, if you haven’t played this game yet, it is very unique and a lot of fun.

$14.99 really isn’t bad if you are new to the experience!

stlthriot said:

November 12th, 8:18 am

Looks fun! Any chance we could get a demo, even if just a level or two? :D

fredrikpedersen said:

November 12th, 8:21 am

Sweet!

Thanks a lot, Jon and Hothead games. I will be sure to support your effort by shelling out my 15$.

I’m grateful for letting us play this game :)

HaMmOdY said:

November 12th, 8:25 am

Thank you guys I loved this game when it was on XBLA and now it’s on PSN . Thanks again ;)

IrishPete333 said:

November 12th, 8:26 am

Looks very interesting. I am usually a little iffy when it comes to platformers, but I would like to give this a try. Hope there is a demo. If not I will wait for some reviews and some other forms of feedback.

jbullfrog23 said:

November 12th, 8:26 am

I’ve been eagerly anticipating the day when this would hit the PS3. Thanks for bringing it over – you have my purchase!

Trieloth said:

November 12th, 8:29 am

I didnt mean to be so rude before… I apologize. Iam looking forward to playing this game. You have my support.

I_am_rushin said:

November 12th, 8:43 am

Sweet! I might have to check this out. Any chance of a demo?

P.S. Jeff, can Eric Lempell just come out and say that all the “supposed” FW 3.10 rumors were just photoshop, so that everyone will STFU.

plaztiksyke said:

November 12th, 8:47 am

Is there any chance Penny Arcade Adventures and Deathspank will get getting 1080p and 24-bit lossless audio as well? It would be great to see the first two PAA episodes patched to incorporate what you’ve learned about the PS3 since their initial release!

We’re loving everything you guys are putting out. If you could add some local co-op (without splitscreen) to your next releases (or patch previous ones!), that would be perfect and give even more value for the chosen price point.

Keep up the good work!

Pitch_Blak said:

November 12th, 8:49 am

Hmm, I may check this out. I played a few levels on the demo for Mac, and I enjoyed it.

Perhaps if I can scrounge up $15. =P

yourdog23 said:

November 12th, 8:55 am

Thank you for the nod to Linux. While I’d prefer to support a Linux port, just to back Linux, you’ll be getting my money for the PS3 version, since it’s the first version of Braid that I can actually run, and I’m not willing to wait.

Korbei83 said:

November 12th, 8:58 am

Ugh.. tempting.

H8_is_Bad said:

November 12th, 9:00 am

Not buying unless i get to play a demo of this first.

Korbei83 said:

November 12th, 9:00 am

Ya know what? Screw temptation.

Sold.

HouseMorton said:

November 12th, 9:06 am

This was one of the major games to test the waters of charging a lot more than previous downloadable games… right as the economy nosedived into the toilet. I’m not going to buy it a year later at the same inflated price on general principal.

ROLO_ONFIRE said:

November 12th, 9:08 am

Are you going to release a demo?

Moosehole said:

November 12th, 9:10 am

Sorry guys but I won’t buy games that come to PS3 15 months after they come to the other system.

Bring it to our console at the same time next time and I’ll buy it.

jqtaxpayer said:

November 12th, 9:19 am

@#22: That’s a surefire way to miss out on some great games.

Angelshadow_7 said:

November 12th, 9:21 am

If i dont have a Demo, i might search it for PC, and if a i get it for PC doesn’t have much sense to expend $15 on it anymore dont you think? Demo Please.

Depends on the Demo ill Buy it right now, or when lows down to $10 or for PC if it takes to long u.u

Ruffday said:

November 12th, 9:26 am

So a year was as fast as you guys could get it to us?

MrBeatdown said:

November 12th, 9:31 am

@22

That’s a pretty dumb reason to not play a game. Sometimes developers (especially those that develop smaller games like this) aren’t able to create a multiplatform game on day one. From what I’ve read, this game was originally developed by one guy with one artist entirely on their own.

By ignoring a game just because it was on some other system first, you’re basically telling them that if they can’t do a multiplatform game from the start, they might as well not do a PS3 version at all because people won’t buy it.

Personally, I’d rather have a game late than never.

tenshin78 said:

November 12th, 9:32 am

I can read behind lines that they are trying to let us know how much effort was done to have this game ready for PS3, also to justify the $15 price tag.
I dont matter about old games, I always wait to have games at 50% when they get the greatest hits or just cut prices, same will happen here, I will wait.

KidCommando said:

November 12th, 9:36 am

DEMO…like on the other systems?

releasing a year+ later, same price, and without a demo? yeah, you definitely care about the PS3 platform and not making us wait a moment longer.

Joel DeYoung's Avatar

Joel DeYoung said:

November 12th, 10:28 am

I\’m actually being 100% genuine. My enthusiasm is because I don\’t like games coming out on single platforms any more than you do. So today represents a little victory in our quest to get genuinely unique games on new platforms. We didn\’t make Braid originally. We saw it when it came out on XBLA like everyone else, and one of my first thoughts was that this would be a great game on the PS3 (and Mac and Linux and PSP, etc etc). So we worked to do that and here we are.

A demo may be coming out in the near future. But getting one ready for launch day would have delayed launch even further and we knew there were a bunch of PSN players who were already fans of the game that had been waiting long enough.

I hope that clarifies.

Maulok said:

November 12th, 9:55 am

Everyone writing it off as a boring platformer, please give it a try. It’s less a platformer and more a really really difficult puzzle solving game. Love it chugging along on my clunker PC, looking forward to seeing it as intended at 60fps on my PS3 today.

tveye363 said:

November 12th, 10:01 am

Any chance we’ll ever see this on PSP?

DNAgent said:

November 12th, 10:07 am

I would’ve bought it last year if it was on the PS3 but not now. $15 for a year old port with no extras? Why even bother releasing it on the PS3? If you wanted $15 then it should’ve been on the PS3 at the same time as the 360 version or it should have extras in the PS3 version. I’ll save my money for better games and for devs who don’t try to rip people off with mediocre ports.

subject98 said:

November 12th, 10:12 am

yeah, I thought it looked more like a PSP game, then I saw that it’s for PS3 which I don’t have =/

grimgard said:

November 12th, 10:13 am

“DEMO…like on the other systems?

Joel, I am sorry to be a d1ck, but this blog post sounded like complete BS. I know you have to sound like you care, but seriously, pump the breaks a little.”

X 2 on that. Well said!

ZildjianKX said:

November 12th, 10:18 am

I’m glad that this is finally hitting the PS3, but I’m a bit bummed about the price point for a year old game. I think $9.99 would have been more appropriate. It’s already been on sale for $9.99 on Xbox Live.

Kyolux said:

November 12th, 10:21 am

@#29 Really difficult puzzle solving? I thought it was too easy outside of the timed mode, which I didn’t felt like bothering with.

spazzin_out said:

November 12th, 10:31 am

this is awesome can’t wait to play it

ghamdikh1 said:

November 12th, 10:33 am

@Joel DeYoung

please please please please please please please please please make a deal with (The behemoth)to allow you to port(Alien Hominid HD)
to PSN.

gekko1986 said:

November 12th, 10:41 am

I for one would like to say great job. This was one game I was really wanting to play on 360, and I actually did earlier this year when I had a 360 for a short time (sold it). Definitely recommended.

WackyWeedCreed said:

November 12th, 10:54 am

Thanks a lot for the port!

Really, its a great game I have the 360 and Mac versions.

I do wish you guys could have added something new, but if you guys drop the price under $9 you can have my money =P

Thanks again, PS3 owners who missed out should get this, its an amazing indie game.

KidCommando said:

November 12th, 10:56 am

Joel,

I REALLY appreciate your response. It definitely shows me that you care about your project. I admit that I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes or what it takes to bring a game onto another platform. The only thing I see as a consumer is:

August 6, 2008 releases on 360 – $15 w/demo
April 10, 2009 releases on PC – $15 w/demo
May 20, 2009 releases on Mac – $15 w/demo
Nov 12, 2009 releases on PS3 – $15 no demo

It is just disheartening to think we are the “bottom of the barrel”. I have zero doubts that BRAID is a good game based on others feedback/reviews, I just have a hard time supporting it when ‘we’ are last to be served and we don’t even get an appetizer.

Regardless, I appoligize for my comment based on your posting. It is obvious you are doing your best and your actions are genuine. Hopefully in the future we will get treated equally. Thanks again for the reply, it means a lot.

HESHTODD said:

November 12th, 10:57 am

I agree that the price is a little steep. This game is pretty neat and if you read a review you’ll find out why it is great but not worth 15 right now. I have a feeling that is going to be the sales stopper for this one, we’ve seen this happen before with overpriced PSN games. They end up getting ignored and collect dust until some sort of sale.

almighty-slayer said:

November 12th, 11:08 am

When are you going to drop the price. Charging full price for a year old port (and probably a crap one) isn’t going to get you into anyone’s good books.

datoupee said:

November 12th, 11:13 am

I’ve been anxiously awaiting this game since you first posted about it on here. I’ve never played it or even heard of it before. (I’m out of the loop when it comes to other platforms.)

You will have my purchase tonight as soon as it drops. $15 is a great price considering that it will keep me playing for many hours. That’s the same price of a movie ticket!

HESHTODD said:

November 12th, 11:18 am

I don’t buy movie tickets. Too expensive

WestSiide said:

November 12th, 11:19 am

2 big, big things wrong. 1) no demo 2) price. Enough said.

WestSiide said:

November 12th, 11:24 am

2 big, big things wrong. 1) no demo 2) price. Enough said. There’s no reason why you would want to charge full price on a game over a year old. One thing that comes to mind is Bioshock and Lost Planet. Seeing as how late those games were ported over to the ps3, The developers didn’t charge full price because of that specific reason (I think 29.99 or 39.99). You should have done the same thing here.

MLEW85 said:

November 12th, 11:27 am

strange concept – interested but gonna need a demo

cleversignin said:

November 12th, 11:31 am

Wow, I am truly embarrassed to be a member of the PS3 community sometimes.

JebusIG said:

November 12th, 11:45 am

Hey, and when is Braid going to be available on the Mexican Store? Thanks!

phinnv8 said:

November 12th, 11:46 am

Already played this game on PC so not gonna get again for $15 ($10 maybe)… Anyway I read the blog and wondering the following:

The original (360) Braid didn’t have 1080p graphics or “HD” audio?

PAGE 1 2