PlayStation VR

Nov 16

Nov 16

PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.10) Update Preview

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone, here’s an early peek at PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.10). The latest update incorporates Facebook into the PS3 experience. By linking your PlayStation Network account to your Facebook account, you will have the option for the PS3 to automatically update your Facebook News Feed with Trophy and PlayStation Store activity. This update also enables developers to set specific criteria in their titles to publish additional game information to your News Feed. You can then check out your updates, and those of your friends, on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media favorites through the PS3’s built-in web browser.

This is just the beginning of our integration with Facebook and we are looking forward to adding new features enhancing the experience in future updates.

Additional highlights from update 3.10 include:

• The Photo category on the XMB has been revamped to make it easier to see more of your photos stored on the PS3.
  • The PSN Friends List has been modified based on feedback we received after update 3.00. Additionally, you can now choose a color for your PSN ID on the XMB.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.10, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.10 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 26

zomgQ_Q said:

November 16th, 7:18 pm

I’m actually pretty stoked for this. It will be amazing keeping friends updated (the one’s you game with the most) about your status in certain games and such.

Excellent job, just excellent!

OrganicShadow said:

November 16th, 7:19 pm

as much as i appreciate the much-needed friends list tweak, and the awesome facebook functionality, the fact that the ticker and ps store icons haven’t been address pretty much makes the update pointless for me other than being required to do it just to get signed in.

it’s painful for me to navigate through the xmb right now because of ps store icons and the what’s new, as well as the ticker constantly bugging me, so if those things can be made optional then i might actually get to enjoy the other features the ps3 has, instead of quickly jumping into games to escape the xmb.

hopefully games don’t have to be patched in order for trophies to appear on our fb pages though. i could understand games themselves updating our pages based on other things we do in a game, but the trophy system is external to a degree, and shouldn’t require game-specific patches.

SolidRex said:

November 16th, 7:20 pm

@181 Skype is free between Skype users. So if two individuals have Skype you can communicate, for free, between each other. Skype does charge if you want a phone number while using Skype, to call landlines, to call internationally, or to send SMS. Skype would be a great addition to the PS3 especially when using the high quality Playstation Eye video and audio.

jvillamar311 said:

November 16th, 7:20 pm

Cool update!
Just a suggestion, the grid option would look awesome on the music as well. Right now, the music section seems to be lacking features and accessibility.

killaj91682 said:

November 16th, 7:20 pm

soooooooo…….wheres the voice party chat and cross game chat? i mean the face book thing is cool and all, but i want to talk to my friends and not everybody else during a game…just a suggestion..

secularsage said:

November 16th, 7:21 pm

I don’t think many of the people commenting watched the video. This Facebook functionality looks very limited and pretty useless. Who really wants to spam their friends with PS3 trophy achievements and purchase updates?

It’s about as useless as the Twitter updates from Uncharted 2.

Now, integrating Facebook with finding PSN friends? I’d totally be up for that. HOME integration would be sweet as well!

xxKinGjxx said:

November 16th, 7:21 pm

Sony, The new friend list is greate but i wanna see something fill in the Friends list ?boxes?. Oh and we need a new browser i recommend getting a contract with Google or mozzila and let them create a in game browser and a web browser . I know you guys are working on XGC and i wish u the best of luck =]

daascender said:

November 16th, 7:22 pm

Nice updated! Go Ravens! back to Mnf

DZORMAGEN said:

November 16th, 7:22 pm

I really love Eric Lempel, I remember that last Firmware everybody was crying about the Friendlist, this Firmware shows that Eric and Sony DO LISTEN!! The Friendslist definitely grew on my over the months. I hope we have the option to change it to how Eric showed it, if not, no big deal, this new one will grow on my also. I like how we can choose colors, but they still need to come out with the premium avatars that take up the whole box, and also maybe show the trophies on the bottom of the box. But I know it will happen down the road. SONY has come a far way from what the system came out of the box during launch till now. If you look at the list I think you will be impressed too!! Now on the FACEBOOK integration, I personally not a fan over Facebook, MySpace etc, but I know a lot of people will like this feature. Facebook is not my cup of tea. Anyways thank you Eric Lampel and Sony for you great work!

One more thing, this is for the BLOG, please add EDIT comment so if we made a mistake in spelling, or a sentence does not make sense because of typing so fast, we can change it on the fly!!

Don’t know how much of my post made sense, and how many spelling errors I have, so sorry!!

djchayan said:

November 16th, 7:22 pm

can u guys get a better video source for the blog always have problems with this video player…

ironheart901 said:

November 16th, 7:22 pm

Wow….maybe even a worse update than 3.00. I mean are you kidding?! Do you really think the majority of our firends give a crap about what were accomplishing and buying in video games? I MEAN SERIOUSLY. Half the ppl i know who are on the fence about buying a ps3 dont wanna cuz it doesnt have cross game chat which i really want to but it doesnt matter because you guys never listen. Everytime you say you look forward to our feedback but you never even respond too our comments on any firmware posts. If your never gonna give us what we want then just own up to it. Reply to us saying ” we will not listen and give you guys what you want” stop having us hope to see something great like cross game chat in the next update just to have our dreams smashed yet again by Eric Lempel. Im sorry but just give up and stop making firmware updates, because as far as im concerned they get more and more depressing each time and that hurts cause i lovED playstation. lovED………

DTXSFC said:

November 16th, 7:23 pm

Hey Eric, when will the music get some love (mp3 downloads, music videos, rss feeds, better music features)? Other than that nice addition for photos. Wish we had PlayTV. My PS3 is becoming more and more usefull to my wife even though she hates video games, lol.

Aotar said:

November 16th, 7:24 pm

Tbh facebook and twitter support, at least on that level, is truly irrelevant to me. I don’t want people knowing about my gaming progress, unless those people have ps3 as well. However, I do love the new friends list and the photo update rocks! Thanks!

INTVGene said:

November 16th, 7:26 pm

Cross game chat please…

Also, more trophy stats would be nice.

Velmonte said:

November 16th, 7:26 pm

Where are the PSN free & premium Avatars?
It’s been awhile since they were promised within update 3.0

That’s one thing we definetly need!

spunnups said:

November 16th, 7:26 pm

More Avatars Please

remanutd5 said:

November 16th, 7:27 pm

what time Little Big Planet will be on psn ???

thegriefer said:

November 16th, 7:27 pm

good update, dont think im going to use it that much though since I dont want girls knowing i play a lot of games. Cross game voice chat should be the number one priority.

tapinc2 said:

November 16th, 7:27 pm

hmmm. add twitter, and im set!

DZORMAGEN said:

November 16th, 7:28 pm

I find it funny for the people that say do this and do that, it’s easy! Firmware Updates are not easy, and need lots of man power, and SKILL to make it possible. IT TAKES TIME, everything will not happen in one update. I am fine with suggestions, but to say where are the features YOU want in this up-date is just ridiculous!! We all want a million dollars, but uncouthly it does not work that way!!!

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

November 16th, 7:28 pm

Sony,

Please add:

1. X-Game CHAT
2. Universal In-game XMB MUSIC or at least try to get more developers to incorporate it!
3. AVATARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. GO TO THE PS3 FORUMS TO GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT THIS ALL SHOULD LOOK LIKE! THERE ARE SOME GREAT DESIGNS THERE!!!

jmtstan1138 said:

November 16th, 7:29 pm

nice photo display format. well done. lets hope in future we get to create folders to organize it instead of sort by date/month/year

DryvBy said:

November 16th, 7:30 pm

Awesome, incredible update. But can you please just work on couch co-op (ie: two profiles logged in at once) and some voice chat/video chat?

DJmetalhawk said:

November 16th, 7:31 pm

Cool new features, but my gripe is the notification box popup. that thing is ugly and not placed well.
i want the themes to affect the notification box, that ugly gray has got to go. how about a better design with the PS3/PSN logo? and why not switch it to the top left since people tend to look in that direction and it won’t block the new time/ticker box.
make the sound a bit louder,too.

i want more control of the fonts and resolution. i can barely read the XMB because the font is so small; the previous update helped a bit but not enough. it may be large in regular tv sets but in HD sets it is still too small; same thing with the PSN store, make them big! theres a lot of room so stop being cheap.

tapinc2 said:

November 16th, 7:31 pm

Feedback, here you go:
1. CROSS GAME CHAT IVE BEEN ASKING FOR THE PAST YEAR.
2.Twitter
3. I know this aint going to happen, but completely redesign the XMB. That would be nice.

Zinacef said:

November 16th, 7:31 pm

These are fine times to own a PS3! Nice work Sony. Keep up the excellent work!!!

gmk218 said:

November 16th, 7:32 pm

sounds like infringement of privacy hm no thnkx

liketoski said:

November 16th, 7:32 pm

My PS3 just recieved the YLOD, (Yellow Light Of Death) and I want it fixed/replaced. How do I do it?

Micirin said:

November 16th, 7:32 pm

I have all 3 consoles and the 360 is usually my favourite but this update looks great.
I’m in the preview program on my XBOX so already have facebook and Twitter but the facebook integration on PS3 looks so much better.
now, if only they could make PSN more like Live and stop the slooooow software updating for game id probably give up on my XBOX (which is about to RROD for the 4th time).

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

ONE MORE THING,

PLEASE GIVE ME MY REGULAR SMALLER FONT!

I hate that you took away my perfectly fine font! I have an HD 1080p tv and it looked great! Please it would be an option for us!

Korbei83 said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

As a non facebook user, I’m sorry to say there isn’t much for me personally this time around, but can’t win ’em all.

Hopefully it’ll come out without a hitch.

Hyuuga_Clan said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

why does the friends list still have that big ugly box? make it slimmer, transparent, and show more detail like the trophy level

TJ-Max said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

Nice move on the Photo interface update.
New Music interface is very much needed I think. Even if it is just larger album art and additional info on the Now Playing Screen….and more visualizations.

heatseeker said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

Awesome update Eric! I was wondering whatever happened to custom soundtrack? And is there a plan in motion to allow ps3 to play your songs in any game without to developers having to build it into games? Because to be honest there using enough games with the feature.
Still awesome update!!

rocca514 said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

we would like to listen to your feedback …that is my last feedback :Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat Cross-game chat c’mon man

DZORMAGEN said:

November 16th, 7:33 pm

HERE we GO AGAIN people like ironheart901 cring over a FIRMWARE up-date! Dude get a LIFE it’s just an up-date!! If you are dreaming abuot to FIRMWARE updates thrn I feel sorry for you, and you NEED HELP!! It’s not the end of the world if someything YOU want is not there!! Some people are going to be happy some are not!! Movie on, it’s just a FRIMWARE up-date, you didn’t need to buy it or anything!!

kasumakuma said:

November 16th, 7:34 pm

wow….how lame. I have enough crap that shows up on my facebook account as it is, nobody that is on my friends list will give a flying crap what I buy off the PSN or what trophies I’ve just unlocked. But I will say thank you for at least hiding it inside the account management tab so it doesn’t add more things that I don’t use to the XMB. Speaking of which, how about an option to remove less used items from the XMB. I know that I would like to remove the What’s New section, Home, and a few of those pesky Playstation Store icons…

DZORMAGEN said:

November 16th, 7:34 pm

..and SONY does listen, it takes time, not everything will be done overnight!!

angelcoma said:

November 16th, 7:36 pm

Nice, I love it.

No one ever asks for this, but I would really like if you allow people to be online (aka downloading stuff from PSN) while watching a DVD, Bluray and/or playing PS2/PSone games.

That is my main beef, basically with the PS3. I love the rest.

VaeVictus said:

November 16th, 7:37 pm

Next, for firmware 3.20, you can play farmville and mafia wars with………….. motion control!

Thanks for updating my PS3’s functionality. However, cross game chat is LONG overdue. At least address the issue so we know where we stand.

Shacojin said:

November 16th, 7:37 pm

Fix the way music is situated, I have way too many songs and the list goes on FOREVER!

itsJose said:

November 16th, 7:38 pm

I love the new picture gallery. As well as the friends list update.

But please get a new browser. C’mon lets get Google Chrome up in there. You already got the SEARCH feature. Make it happen Sony! ;)

How about a better Music Gallery? or even app that will make it prettier. Make it something along the lines of the photo gallery. Add some features just in case the music doesn’t have Cover Art.

libregkd said:

November 16th, 7:38 pm

Only noteworthy thing is that the hideous gray boxes are now gone.

Now I have no qualms about upgrading to 3.00.

Avatard said:

November 16th, 7:39 pm

Very decent minor update. wtg sony

rbanke said:

November 16th, 7:39 pm

I really could care less for twitter, myspace, facebook (or home & folding for that matter) so it would be really nice if we could delete/hide these icons that are really beginning to clutter up the XMB.

I use my PS3 for gaming, all the rest of this stuff is becoming an eyesore on the interface.

Good to note that the friends list has been somewhat addressed. I’m crossing my fingers that an option to switch back to the original font has been included, and a way to disable the ticker.

BLACKMAR said:

November 16th, 7:40 pm

this is why Sony is so awesome. they take feedback from the everyday consumer, and make it 10 time better. unlike microsoft

Saruson said:

November 16th, 7:41 pm

Nice update!

Please also make time to include options toggling other UI to address complaints from 3.00, such as background blur. Since going into the theme sub-menu toggles off the background blur, it seems like a simple boolean. If we could have access to that toggle switch, that would be great.

dcpc10 said:

November 16th, 7:41 pm

Nice update, but I still think that the following would help improve PSN even more:
-In-Game Cross Chat
-In-Game music compatible with every game
-More customization options and details for PSN accounts and how others view your stats, information, etc.
-Twitter support could also be pretty cool, in-game tweeting would be sweet
-Add Skype to the XMB (and make it compatible with the PS eye) and I would be one very happy person. Make it happen Sony!

callmeindiana said:

November 16th, 7:41 pm

Nice updates, but how about we make it so we can play our own music during regular gameplay and online for all games?

Keysersoze10033 said:

November 16th, 7:43 pm

I know I wasting my time since Eric never reads any of these comments, but can you add an off switch to the top left hand scroll information. I REALLY would like to turn that off.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 26