Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Jan 04

Jan 04

Parody Alert!!! Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond Comes to PSN This Week

Eric Peterson's Avatar Posted by President and CEO of Vicious Cycle Software

Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond chronicles the latest adventures of Matt Hazard, internationally renowned video game action hero and star of the 2009 blockbuster next-gen hit, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard*.

Elevator

In Blood Bath and Beyond, Matt returns to his side-scrolling roots to track down his arch-enemy, General Neutronov, who has travelled back in time and kidnapped the 8-bit version of Matt. The Russian general plans to destroy Matt’s earlier self so that Neutronov will never suffer the humiliating defeats that the hero has dealt him over the years.

This tongue-in-cheek journey through Matt’s history takes the player on a tour of the “classic” titles released by Marathon Software, the company that put Matt Hazard on the map. Matt takes on a wide range of enemies—from pirates to penguins; lighthouses to laser-wielding astronauts; Mounties to mechanical rhinos—as he peruses the parody-laden landscapes of games that never were.

Hate 1 Alamo 2

Blood Bath and Beyond is available for download on the PlayStation Network for $14.99 starting on January 7, 2010.

* Not actually a blockbuster hit. But it was released in 2009.

Alamo 1

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

KSPRAYDAD said:

January 4th, 8:29 am

Demo?

Can’t drop $15 (!!!) on a downloadable game without a demo.

January 4th, 1:59 pm

Yes, the demo is on the way.

katsuo7171 said:

January 4th, 8:30 am

For 14.99 how many stages/levels/hours Is in the game? I really liked the game back then but I never finished it. And seeing as how I’m busier than before I want to know If I’ll be able to play through it in about 6 hours.

Thanks

January 4th, 1:55 pm

We have 8 levels, a story mode, a quick play mode and there is even a secret mode you can unlock. There are also 3 sets of difficulty settings and leaderboards for each one.

The amount of hours in the game depends on how good of a score you want on the leaderboard ;)

If you are just playing through it once, then you should be able to beat it in that amount of time if getting a high score isn’t your primary concern.

DNAgent said:

January 4th, 8:34 am

Thanks for killing my hype for this game. There isn’t even online co-op. I would’ve bought it for $10 tops (even though I thought it should be $5). At $15 I won’t even consider buying it.

axeblade07 said:

January 4th, 8:35 am

Looks Fun. Like your good nature about the Eat lead game not being the blockbuster title you probably hoped for.

January 4th, 2:02 pm

It’s all about good fun, not to mention we have a good sense of humor ;) We are gamers too after all.

supersaiyan500 said:

January 4th, 8:37 am

i am so gonna buy this..

h4l0fw1nt3r said:

January 4th, 8:39 am

Awesome!

AHHN said:

January 4th, 8:43 am

Is it avilable for psp ?

January 4th, 2:03 pm

No, sorry, it isn\’t.

Moosehole said:

January 4th, 8:47 am

How many levels are there? What does the game play like? Are there different weapons?

You told us nothing about this game. Maybe you should have posted a gameplay video?

You basically just said “Here’s our game it’s a parody give us $15 for it.”

You should give us more info, that might make people like me who are skeptical about buying this, you know, buy it.

January 4th, 2:10 pm

There are 8 levels, co-op, leaderboards as I mentioned above (please see my reply to Post #2)

It plays like Contra or Metal Slug, just to name a few classic games that inspired us. It is frenetic action with tons of enemies, pickups, weapons and multiple boss fights along with a sense of humor.

There are numerous gameplay videos circulating the web along with previews this week. Please check them out!

Exypher said:

January 4th, 8:52 am

This is probably the best subtitle I’ve ever seen for a game, ever. Can’t stop laughing…

January 4th, 2:04 pm

Glad you like it. We definitely thought it was appropriate.

plaztiksyke said:

January 4th, 8:53 am

1. what is the native rendering resolution? 1080p? any FSAA?

2. are the audio assets 24-bit? lossless?

3. is there local co-op?

I need to know this stuff before I buy :)

Thanks!

January 4th, 2:19 pm

720p. 2X MSAA. Audio is compressed. Local 2 player co-op. The game also runs at 60FPS.

Now put it on your list to buy it later this week ;)

KidCommando said:

January 4th, 8:54 am

haha…I thought your blockbuster hit disclaimer was cute.

I haven’t played any of the Matt Hazard games before. Had a little interest when Eat Lead came out, but never got around to renting it and checking it out.

A demo would be helpful for this though.

goldskarr said:

January 4th, 8:56 am

$15? For a PSN title without trophies? As good as it looks, I just don’t have the time. I still need to catch up with on-disc titles!

January 4th, 2:22 pm

There are trophies. Not sure where you read that there weren’t, but we do have them in the game. So have at it and collect them all!

WebScud said:

January 4th, 8:57 am

HAH!

I was getting really pissed until I saw “* Not actually a blockbuster hit. But it was released in 2009.” I hate when companies BS about work that everyone knows didn’t do as well as it actually did.

I just hope gameplay is better this time around. The humor certainly seems intact, which is the main draw anyway.

January 4th, 2:24 pm

The gameplay is very refined and is like many classic titles from this genre. We had a lot of fun making this game and playing it as well.

BananaFish said:

January 4th, 8:58 am

PSN giftcards are starting to burn a hole in my pocket…starting with Matt an continuing through Lead and Gold.

Moosehole said:

January 4th, 9:00 am

@11

What makes you think this game doesn’t have trophies?

January 4th, 2:25 pm

We have trophies. No need to be concerned ;)

ynp7 said:

January 4th, 9:03 am

When this was announced I was really hoping it’d actually be like an old school side scrolling shooter. This looks like another one of those dual analog shooting affairs that are usually not entirely terrible but also aren’t much fun to play.

January 4th, 2:27 pm

No need to worry. Please remain calm!!!!

Our game has classic controls; not that new wave dual stick action ;)

krae_man said:

January 4th, 9:05 am

The retail game was awesome.

Well minus the tentical monster who could kill you in one hit and you have no way to anticipate attacks and dodge them.

That boss fight was a pointless poorly playtested torture.

Cant wait for this.

January 4th, 2:32 pm

Ugh. I disliked that as much as you and the next guy. We really wanted that fixed so that there would have been a \’tell\’ and not just an insta-kill. We are human and make mistakes and that is one I would like to have back ;)

P.S. – no Tentacle Beast in this game. These boss fights are well balanced and well tested.

Zezzler said:

January 4th, 9:07 am

The original game was hilarious, i was one of the few people to buy it, and i loved it. i can’t want for this one, but i would like to see a demo and some specs please.
1080p? custom-soundtrack? co-op(online, or/and offline)? anything else?

thanks~

January 4th, 3:19 pm

As mentioned above:

And yes, a new set of music was specifically created for this game and the pacing of the action.

Again, the demo is on the way ;)

BigRon3400 said:

January 4th, 9:14 am

No demo, no buy. What is up with all the 15 dollar games lately? You really think this game is better than Pixeljunk Shooter or Shatter, both of which are cheaper? Don’t be ridiculous. And lose the Helghast symbol ripoff as your logo.

Sekoku said:

January 4th, 9:23 am

Eat Lead was pretty flawed but I did enjoy it (MINUS THE LACK OF FREAKING SUBTITLES, SERIOUSLY!?) for the most part.

$15 is too much for this outing, esp. if you aren’t going to provide PSN the XBLA MANDATORY (hey, Sony, wake up and DEMAND this over Trophy data) demo.

January 4th, 2:34 pm

Again, we have trophies…so I\’m not sure where you guys are hearing this info, but it is incorrect.

Caudill said:

January 4th, 9:23 am

Really didn’t mind the first game. This game however looks MUCH better than what I played before, should of just made it like this (2D side scroller) from the beginning.

However, $15!? With so many other high profile PSN games releasing for $10 and under I don’t see how some devs think their’s is worth the extra $5.

Could we get some general info about the game? How many levels? Bosses? Game Length? Online co-op? etc?

jBat17 said:

January 4th, 9:29 am

looks better than shadow complex

KILLA_KING_007 said:

January 4th, 9:34 am

I saw the asterisk and was wondering what it was for lol too funny…i actually bought eat lead it wasn’t that bad. Maybe I will check it out.

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

January 4th, 9:34 am

#3 is clueless

krae_man said:

January 4th, 9:36 am

I probably shouldn’t be supporting Overpriced downloadable games on the PS3 while I’m taking a stand againt overpriced downloadables games on the PSP by not buying Locoroco Midnight Carnival till it drops to $10.

But whatever these are my rules and they dont have to make sense and Matt Hazard is awesome!

acerazer1 said:

January 4th, 9:37 am

The first game had plenty of style in terms of concept, but really lacked in execution. I wish you better luck with this one.

Insomnia999 said:

January 4th, 9:38 am

Wow, I can’t leave a comment on my ps3. Had to turn my computer on. At least support your on browser Sony!

I can’t get online in WipeOut HD. It says “there was an error updating the game.” It must be something server side because I updated to the latest update with no problems.

The MAG beta already crashed.

acerazer1 said:

January 4th, 9:38 am

And the logo is vicious cycle’s logo, if anyone is wondering…

January 4th, 2:36 pm

Yes it is. Thanks for clarifying that for our previous poster ;)

daniel3334 said:

January 4th, 9:56 am

awesome!! i loved eat lead. will get this one asap!!

krae_man said:

January 4th, 10:09 am

The Retail game is available for $20 on Amazon.com.

I cant wait till developers actually start getting downloadable game pricing right.

It will be a glorious day.

lostinplainsight said:

January 4th, 10:15 am

at least the ads for matt hazard where brilliant. why can’t i leave comments on the blog from my ps3?

mag is horrible

DANO69 said:

January 4th, 10:25 am

OH GOODIE..More lame old side scroller crap to add to the ALLREADY lack luster PSN.

Demonhunter84 said:

January 4th, 10:29 am

$15 is a bit too high maybe $10 but here’s hoping for a demo. I bought Matt Hazard last year and loved it.

Kluzot said:

January 4th, 10:34 am

“looks better than shadow complex”

Let me laugh !

macbelonwu10 said:

January 4th, 10:42 am

No demo no buy sorry, not at that price im afraid

MrBeatdown said:

January 4th, 10:53 am

@11

It will have trophies. All new games have trophies. It’s been that way for a year. Even the first Matt Hazard game had trophies.

January 4th, 2:38 pm

Thanks for clarifying! We appreciate you stating this.

Firecrest said:

January 4th, 10:55 am

$14 for a lack of online co-op? I guess the developers could lazily chalk it up as “adding to the story elements”, just as they did the same for Eat Lead. Sorry, but it’s neither charming or excusable.

rbanke said:

January 4th, 11:07 am

I really liked Eat Lead, been looking forrward to this since it was announced.

muthafunkin said:

January 4th, 11:17 am

A demo would be nice.
BTW, is the US getting Hustle Kings this week? That game, I don’t need a demo before purchasing.

krae_man said:

January 4th, 11:30 am

God I am sick and tired of people asking “Will it have trophies?”.

And to the devs/pubs/Jeff etc, Quit replying to them “Yes it will have trophies”.

Reply “You’re an idiot”, and maybe they will stop asking stupid questions.

Strathmore said:

January 4th, 11:50 am

This title should be $4.99 MAXIMUM as a way of apologizing for that garbage EAT LEAD we all suffered through…

BigRon3400 said:

January 4th, 12:23 pm

I can’t believe the devs won’t answer a single question. That speaks volumes about the quality of this title.

January 4th, 2:40 pm

I just got my code 5 minutes ago to login, and now I am posting ;) Sorry for the delay.

Alvarado6411 said:

January 4th, 12:26 pm

Team Fortress 2 reference, Back to the Future reference, and something that looks like a Bionic Commando reference. This game is looking mighty fine!

January 4th, 2:41 pm

Thank you! We are glad you caught the TF2 and BTTF reference. Nice work!

Ruffday said:

January 4th, 12:26 pm

Hello Eric, yea I was wondering if You would consider a first day launch reduced price. This game looks dope and I’m probably going to get it. For future titles and reference. You know thanx

January 4th, 2:43 pm

I wish I could…but I don\’t control the price. Try the demo and see if you like it.

Maguss said:

January 4th, 1:02 pm

Demo please!!! It looks awesome but there are so many games I need to buy and few dollars to do it with.

BenD60O0 said:

January 4th, 1:50 pm

I would SO get this game if I had a PS3. But alas, I have only a PSP 3000

MastahKillah82 said:

January 4th, 2:28 pm

LOL it says this game was a blockbuster hit in 2009 and then at the end it has an * that says this game was not a blockbuster hit… WOW, why would you even write that ? Anyways, the last screen shot looks like they copied a level str8 out of Team Fortress 2 ! Stop making cheesy $10-15 and make real PS3 games… Make that for the psp instead of PS3 !

Exypher said:

January 4th, 2:33 pm

I thought pricing was up to Sony? Anyway, 60 FPS = Sold. Seriously, I’m a graphics whore. Look for me on PSN this Thursday, I’ll be shootin’ mofos up like it ain’t no thang!

January 4th, 2:45 pm

Glad you like the graphics. We are really happy we could push 60FPS on this title. It really adds to the frenetic gameplay that the old 2D shooters had.

shadowkiller11 said:

January 4th, 2:46 pm

Good stuff, the first was enjoyable but flawed.

crusher915 said: