Farpoint

Jan 15

Jan 15

Update — PS3 3.15 System Software

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Just a quick note to let you know that firmware update 3.15, an optional update that was released in early December, is now a mandatory update. You can read about the contents of the update in the original post here.

In addition to the features that were communicated back in December, the update also improves system stability during use of some PlayStation 3 software. If you’ve already performed the update, there’s no need to do anything. If you are using an older version of the firmware, you will be prompted to update when you start up your system and when you access any network features.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4

jiggyteddy said:

January 15th, 10:47 am

Nice. What was once optional… is now mandatory!

I’m all for system stability. Lets hope for something robust next time.

Happy new year friends.

BlooodyCow said:

January 15th, 10:47 am

Why is this posted now?
It became mandatory last night. My friend turn his ps3 on around 11pm eastern time and he was prompt to download the update.

dotCody said:

January 15th, 10:49 am

Stop putting in new icons in these useless firmware updates, I can’t update my themes!

Heisem said:

January 15th, 10:49 am

i don’t like this…

UNCyrus said:

January 15th, 10:52 am

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the next point release :)

Aggie_CEO said:

January 15th, 10:53 am

So uhhhh making this Mandatory makes me wonder if 3.20 is coming sooner rather than later…..

DTXSFC said:

January 15th, 10:55 am

Eric, are there any plans for the US getting a DVR device for the PS3 so we can record TV shows? Also will we get some kind of music service or music video service (BET, MTV, VH1, CMC) like the UK?

kosluftar said:

January 15th, 10:57 am

Has there been any talk of 3.16 or 4.0?

Mattchewie said:

January 15th, 10:58 am

@ Heisem

…DO NOT QUESTION THE WORD OF LORD LEMPEL….for he shall smite thee for being insolent!

beyond

LeonBlade said:

January 15th, 10:59 am

No need to complain about this people…
You act as if you have to like… take a shot or do something that is a HUGE disadvantage to you and that it’s the WORSE thing in the world.

Come on people… it’s an update.
When you aren’t using your PS3 just update it… you can say it takes a long time but it really doesn’t take that long.

Stop complaining about such small things, I don’t like to be the one that say these kind of things, but I just felt the need to speak my mind here.

Hopefully, as stated in previous comments, this marks the upcoming of a feature update in the near future.

theBedBurner said:

January 15th, 11:01 am

Hopefully some descent improvements come in 3.20 it’s been awhile since there has been a good firmware update.

zombie9 said:

January 15th, 11:01 am

LOL :)
Watch the Colts beat the Ravens Tomarrow.
Playoffs are here Go Colts!

improves system stability during use of some PlayStation 3 software (I have heard that so many times I lost count). How many times can you improve system stability? Before it becomes unstable that is the question?

Spham23 said:

January 15th, 11:01 am

Any idea when they are going to add a Universal Memory Manager since you can’t manage all your memory in one place and fix how you can’t delete individual DLC for each game.

How about a fix for how you the only way to organize photos and games in ALBUMS is to type in the cAsE-SeNsiTiVe album name for EACH file?

What about improved integration of storage devices instead of forcing users to organize by video, music, photos folders on thier storage device unless they force it display all and let you view files inside sub sub folders. Like you added for the PSP.

MKV container support.

DTS_MAN said:

January 15th, 11:06 am

Sweet….updates always good…keep em coming.

DTS MAN

xBlackBloodx said:

January 15th, 11:09 am

Eff that

Sony is screwing up lately…

i’m getting tired of it.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

January 15th, 11:10 am

this was a lame update on the blog..we need to hear about NEW PS3 updates…like one that allows you to VOICE CHAT with your friends while playing diffrent games..and n update that allows you to see the xmb while watchin a movie..- that would be very impressive..so till then..THANKS but NO THANKS >:P

GamerMoney said:

January 15th, 11:11 am

hmmm…me thinks the following update is close seeing as this one is mandatory now

PhillyManOfSteel said:

January 15th, 11:13 am

Come Sony please add the following codecs!!

Divx 7 with MKV

.mov for HD Quicktime

All .WMV 7,8,9 HD WMV

.flv for flash videos

scorpio808 said:

January 15th, 11:15 am

Is there any chance of going back to the original music score of the Oobe that brought the symphony together instead of the current “fiddler on the roof” start up?
Anyways, I am sure they are trying to make sure your system is stable to support M.A.G and GOW III.

deadreckoning666 said:

January 15th, 11:16 am

Firmware 3.10 actually eliminated the use of many codecs on the PS3. After this update, I could no longer use Zshare. Sony needs to fix this ASAP. Lots of other sites I could previously watch videos on through the Internet Browser stopped working.

DragonRay said:

January 15th, 11:17 am

I got this update as soon as it went live as an optional update so I could play the tetris mini . So , when is tetris going to become ps3 compatible ? seeing all the forum posts it’s obvious that tetris is the one mini everyone wants for ps3 but it’s still psp only . except for that , nice update , keep them coming and maybe next time do more to fix stability issues surrounding the ps3 browser .

Marsz85 said:

January 15th, 11:20 am

Still nothing on the “friends met” bug huh? I tweeted to the PSTeam and Sony and got nothing. I bet if I said some crap like, “OMG, those God of War III screens are EPIC!!!” I’d get a response.

Wake the frack up!

Hitman-Merc said:

January 15th, 11:22 am

i just read this now its 11:22pm pst in cali no update recieved

megamixer said:

January 15th, 11:30 am

I think the fact that this one is now mandatory means there won’t be a new one soon as they wouldn’t want to force 2 updates on people in a short time period.

usergentoo said:

January 15th, 11:34 am

With all the threads on the playstation forums about this firmware screwing things up you would think they would come out with a new one before they cause others to have the same problems.

Taffy07 said:

January 15th, 11:35 am

That’s cool and all, but can we PLEASE get in-game music?

dragonmagician said:

January 15th, 11:36 am

Sony’s firmware strategy confuses me sometimes.

spideyal said:

January 15th, 11:36 am

Some good ideas.
-Cross-Game chat
-Sony’s version of a Party System on your friends list
-more robust profile page (more bio & Comment room please!)
-And I know you guys are working on it, so no rush, but more avatars please! Even a Flag avatar pack would be great. But it’d have to be all flags for one set price not to be a rip off.

More and more people are getting a ps3 now (I’m sure you know this) so more group PSN features are going to be wanted. Like being able to login on multiple profiles on the same console for each controller in use. & earn trophies per profile.
Just some ideas. But knowing you guys, it’s already in the works.

KazeEternal said:

January 15th, 11:44 am

*PS2 BC supported PS3’s to have KB+M support for bluetooth devices.

*Cross Game Party Chat

*BC for PS2 games on non-BC PS3’s via emulation

*Unified Party System for PSN for transitioning from one game to the next or when on XMB. Such as automatic chat room assignment etc.

*Special Application for managing music in addition to what is in place, more options for handling music, sub sorting for music (Artist -> Album levels would be nice).

*More Sorting options for games that are installed on the system.

*Sorting Options (in addition to the current sort) for Trophies (By Genre, By Name, Show only games I have when comparing, etc)

*More Website Integration with the PSN including identifying when someone is on the PSN, the game they are playing, and sending a message without having to turn on the PS3.

*Option to accept copy & pasted content from PSN members that are not on your friends list or from anyone etc.

*Better MPEG 4 support, in particular Part 14, Part 17, Part 18, and Part 22. Also allow this to be streamed.

*AAC to Dolby Support would be a bonus for Surround sound content.

*Expansion of PS Store downloaded video to also include subtitle support. This isn’t to much to ask.

Carl-G said:

January 15th, 11:45 am

1 thing i want is –

PS2 playback on PS3 please :)

virusiidx said:

January 15th, 11:51 am

@2

Uh, maybe because it was at 11PM eastern when the firmware update went live? You basically answered your own question.

spunnups said:

January 15th, 12:00 pm

Please let out PS3’s record live TV please!!

supersaiyan500 said:

January 15th, 12:02 pm

Hmm…this is weird. Seeing this update as mandatory & that it improves software stability…there must be a HUGE (Note: HUUUGGGGEEEE) Update on the way since its mandatory to improve software stability. Cross game voice chat perhaps?

DTHCND said:

January 15th, 12:07 pm

Nice… Any hints to future updates? Maybe cross-game audio chat?

mafecto said:

January 15th, 12:08 pm

Yawn. Store update was a huge letdown, the next real update will most assuredly be a huge letdown. I’ll bet we’ll get new photo organizing options. Yay.

Also, an update that allows another update? The PSN Operations Team strikes again! Keep up the good work…

PsyTruck said:

January 15th, 12:11 pm

I wish you guys would let people play their PSP games on their PS3 instead of the Mini’s…

Curtisio said:

January 15th, 12:18 pm

I want 3D TV!

souledgeii said:

January 15th, 12:39 pm

Since there are some rumors that ps3 has been hacked, i guess this update may related to that.

ADR143 said:

January 15th, 12:46 pm

anything special coming soon?

phinnv8 said:

January 15th, 12:50 pm

Besides needing a cleaner more graphically rich GUI the main thing XMB needs is a better update system. Like why can’t it dl updates in the background just like demos? Also trophies STILL don’t auto-sync. This is unreal. They should at least sync on shutdown or when idle.

xiked said:

January 15th, 12:53 pm

Cross game voice chat?! And when it comes, plz be of high voice quality!

BlurOfSerenity said:

January 15th, 12:58 pm

This update makes Bioshock almost unplayable. Fix it.

DirtyNunZ said:

January 15th, 1:11 pm

I really do hope that they do make the newer PS3s BC, its possible to do it, so maybe they’re stablizing it to get it ready for this? and the party stuff would be nice :) and it wouldbe nice to get a response or two from sony themselves, or atleast a rep :)

Ruffday said:

January 15th, 1:19 pm

Why is it these updates kill more and more of my video sites? I already bought the system, got Netflix, ANC rent movies from Sony. Why take away my other movie sites? Or is this going to be available on the Pay premium PsN. Oh yea, make it so I don’t need a disc for Netflix. Thanx

CoBrA2168 said:

January 15th, 1:24 pm

Here’s to custom soundtracks and voice chat in the next update!

Thrasher20 said:

January 15th, 1:28 pm

Stefan882 said:

January 15th, 1:29 pm

I saw great stuff on PSP: SenseMe App, Skype, Internet Radio, RSS Reader, much more music visualization – would be great to see this on PS3!

Worm- said:

January 15th, 1:44 pm

another words, a new FW update should be incoming relatively soon, say the next month or so?

ZAANOS said:

January 15th, 2:21 pm

I’m still experiencing a Progression Breaking freeze in Battlefield: Bad Company. It started happening after you guys released a firmware update a while ago. I can’t complete the campaign in Hard Mode meaning I can’t unlock all trophies if I wanted to.

gor1llap1mp said:

January 15th, 2:56 pm

Hi Eric,

Any chance on updating the PS3 so that we don’t always have to press the home button everytime we play a PS2 game, it’s sooo annoying? Also, is there an official site where we could make suggestions for future updates? Thanks for
the heads up and listening to our thoughts!

PAGE 1 2 3 4