PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Feb 16

Feb 16

MLB 10: The Show – Catcher Calling the Game

Eddy Cramm's Avatar Posted by Senior Designer, MLB 11 The Show

Hello again everyone. This is Eddy Cramm, Senior Designer for MLB 10: The Show, and I am here today to talk about the new Catcher Calling the Game feature. Catchy name, huh? Road to the Show, since its inception has been a very well received mode because it gives the gamer a very deep, realistic, and fun alternative to the traditional career mode. The mode allows you to create the guy you want to create, in the position you want him to play. Depending on the position that you choose, you will be asked to do different things in the field that are specific to your position. Last year, as we looked back on our game, there was one position we wanted to improve upon. That was the catcher.

MLB 10: The Show Catcher Calling the Game 1

In MLB 09: The Show, the catcher had the same basic responsibilities as any other fielder: Field balls in your area, cover your base. The only thing unique to the catcher was the task of throwing out base stealers. But as “baseball guys,” we know that the catcher is a lot more involved than that. The catcher is a key part of every single pitch in the game. He is arguably just as responsible for the outcome of a pitch as the pitcher. So when making MLB 10: The Show, we kept that in mind.

This year, we have added “calling pitch selection” and “calling pitch location” to your RttS catcher’s responsibilities. When you are in the game defensively as a catcher, you will be responsible to select the pitch that you want thrown. The system works just like it does for selecting pitches as the pitcher does. The pitcher might shake you off, or he might accept that pitch. If he does shake you off, you choose a pitch again. If you choose the same pitch, he will figure it’s really what you want and will accept it, at this point. Once you have selected the pitch, you will be responsible to select where you want the ball thrown. You can choose any of the nine zones within the strike zone, or you can choose eight areas outside of the zone if you want the ball off the plate (four outside edges and four outside corners). Now just like in real life, this doesn’t mean the pitcher will hit his spot. It just means this is where he is aiming. The better the pitcher you have throwing to you, the more effective your location calling will be.

MLB 10: The Show Catcher Calling the Game 2 MLB 10: The Show Catcher Calling the Game 3

Adding this has really made the Road to the Show catcher more involved in the game like you would expect him to be in real life. I hope you enjoy the new Catcher Calling the Game feature when it, and the rest of MLB 10 The Show hits shelves, March 2.

MLB 10: The Show Catcher Calling the Game 4

Add Your Own

morningdrive said:

February 16th, 1:59 pm

still debating with myself wether I want to pick up this years version or not…so many good games coming out!!

jashwin said:

February 16th, 2:00 pm

“the photo is currently uunavailable”.

thats the message im getting

MusicMan9909 said:

February 16th, 2:02 pm

Where’s the sounds of show blog that was promised to be posted around 2/15?

draconis15 said:

February 16th, 2:04 pm

I know this isn’t the place but I would love too see a more modified batting stance selection mode for the create a player/RTTS character, such as not only picking stace but swing type and even better the Homerun cut scene such as being able to put any type of homerun celebration to anyones stance, this would also be nice to see what each player does during the homerun cut scene because I personally like to have a cool cut scene with my RTTS player but it takes forever to find a good one that is on a stance i like

kenkraly2004 said:

February 16th, 2:08 pm

Eddy how does the stadium models look in MLB 10 The Show? Have all of them been re-designed?

EnigmaNemesis said:

February 16th, 2:21 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. This game is getting better and better.

Soon, will be here soon.

Excellent job everyone at Sony SD.

Jvfazio13 said:

February 16th, 2:26 pm

Great job guys the game looks OUTSTANDING. 2 questions though.

1. Is there rain/bad weather in MLB 10?

2. Is the demo coming out when PSN updates Thursday the 18th?
I really want to try out this game.

FritoZ said:

February 16th, 2:29 pm

ah, two posts in a few days- that means the release time is nearing!!!!

cmon everyone, let’s all join in a round of “take me out to the ballgame!”

i’m ready for spring dangit, and this will game will help make it feel like it’s getting closer!

MusicMan9909 said:

February 16th, 2:29 pm

I love the last line on the blog, “I hope you enjoy the new Catcher Calling the Game feature when it, and the rest of MLB 10 The Show hits shelves, March 2.” I would love to enjoy sounds of the show on March 2nd too, but I can’t unless I know what game situations you have for music so I can have my songs ready.

Koneesha said:

February 16th, 2:44 pm

That was a little underwhelming but I’ll take it cause i love me some Show

Thrasher20 said:

February 16th, 2:56 pm

Looks very photo realistic.

Nice game

AlabamaRollTide8 said:

February 16th, 2:57 pm

Can anybody tell me if the umpires remove their masks as well?

AlabamaRollTide8 said:

February 16th, 2:58 pm

Will the Demo be coming out the 18th this Thursday? I’m going to die if it doesn’t. I need it so bad!

T3mpr1x said:

February 16th, 3:08 pm

I gotta play some more 09 before this comes out already!

Earn said:

February 16th, 3:16 pm

i gotta get this game!

blitzz33 said:

February 16th, 3:17 pm

I can’t wait for this years game i always make myself the catcher and i love the idea of calling the pitch and location but please enough with the retarded pop flys that go straight up above the catcher it gets old after about ten of them.

CHEO_85 said:

February 16th, 3:26 pm

The Catcher Calling the Game feature looks great cant wait too try it out.

ps:only 14 more days lol

HarveyX said:

February 16th, 3:40 pm

How many players is the Homerun Derby contest?

dmbandnick said:

February 16th, 3:47 pm

Any word on where I might find the Sounds of the Show Blog/Forum previously stated in a blog entry? It was stated that it would be up on the 15th. Thank you.

DiscoJer said:

February 16th, 3:51 pm

And yet you still can’t put umpires in the PSP version…(I know I’ve said that before, but c’mon, PSP owners deserve more than a roster update for $40)

Insomnia999 said:

February 16th, 4:29 pm

Sony, if you guys charge for cross game chat it will be the biggest blow to us that have been with the system since day 1. We have been shaping PSN to what is now your million dollar infrastructure and the key to the future of gaming.

I’ll take the disappointing loss of exclusives but this would be the ultimate slap to us. Bottle up other great features(early access to game demos-stuff that isn’t essential to the gaming experience).

Computer gaming(Steam) which is still better than PSN and XBL does not charge for online(besides MMO’s)!!! Only until Microsoft stepped in, did we even hear about charging for online. Make money off of us with DLC, themes, etc.(Home seems like it is just for money at this point-Here is an idea, make Home actually good and then even more people would come in there and spend money) Not for playing the game!!!!!

nandosupes said:

February 16th, 4:44 pm

I can’t wait to play this.

play ball!!!!.

WYO1016 said:

February 16th, 4:45 pm

@Insomnia999

Take your off-topic rants to the PS message boards where they belong.

@ Eddy Cramm

Thanks for making a great product even better! Easily the best sports game out (and this is coming from a guy that doesn’t really care about baseball). Including yourself as a crap player in the minors every year is also a nice touch, as are the PA annoucements during the pause/idle screens.

ACE_72 said:

February 16th, 4:54 pm

Given the great success of the franchise why doesn’t Sony Santa Monica Studios consider leveraging the Game’s Engine to other’s great titles. Likes Sony NBA Franchise inside the court series wondering would there be a return to courts this year?

TakiFuGu said:

February 16th, 5:08 pm

MLB10: The Show looks awesome! The bad news is that I have MLB09: The Show and haven’t even played it yet. So, it’s not looking like I’m going to make this purchase anytime soon. Keep up the great work though guys.

ThEReAL32 said:

February 16th, 6:57 pm

Amazing….this game is honna be HOTT and also when is the DEMO coming out…….THANK YOU

ThEReAL32 said:

February 16th, 6:57 pm

sorry is gonna

sftigers97 said:

February 16th, 7:57 pm

When does the demo for MLB THE SHOW come out?? Less than two weeks for game to come out.

XxChilliBeanxX said:

February 16th, 9:17 pm

@ #1, what is there to debate about? Really.

sscoolChea said:

February 17th, 7:39 am

@ 7

Baseball rain ?????

Why would you want rain in baseball ? Do you want to play baseball in the rain ? You know what baseball does when it rains ? They stop play until it stops raining or cancels it .. The show doesn’t need freakin rain….

ask mlb2k what happen when they put rain in there game 6 years ago . it rain on every freakin game …LMAO

DaWolf619 said:

February 17th, 7:43 am

This definitely makes me want to create a catcher this year. Is this feature in the PSP version as well?

barnard921 said:

February 17th, 7:44 am

I’ve been patiently waiting for MLB ’10: The Show for awhile now, I can’t wait until March 2nd. Thank God I’ve got a loving wife that doesn’t get angry at me because I play this game non-stop when it comes out.

I’ve updated my music list with fresh songs so I don’t get reminded of last year’s version at all (not saying I didn’t like The Show ’09), but fresh walk-up music and celebration music just add to my anticipation for this awesome game to debut.

Jvfazio13 said:

February 17th, 9:35 am

@30 Rain and rain delays would just improve the realism in the game. Rain delays are a part of baseball.

wiser66 said:

February 17th, 11:55 am

Is there a “round robin” type mode in this game where we can play an online league with only 8 people? Please help fools!!!!!!!

Eddy Cramm's Avatar

Jason Villa said:

February 18th, 10:58 am

There is a Round Robin format of playing in for the Online Season League system.

LUGIEZ said:

February 17th, 5:31 pm

Indeed.. can’t wait!

LilRican said:

February 18th, 8:56 am

is possible for you guys have dlc classics stadiums or any stadiums ie the fun ones from triple play series? i would like to see yankees stadium again. or any cool ones. thanks.

blyons15 said:

February 18th, 11:23 am

When is the demo coming out?

NYCthebest14345 said:

February 18th, 1:43 pm

when is the demo? i thought it was to come out today whats talking so LONG!

also i way can’t i play as the Broklyn Cyclones witch is a minor league team

me3889 said:

February 18th, 8:57 pm

im sick of this bs,these developers only care about our $,i work at gamestop and have been telling customers that the demo was coming out last thurs then promised this thurs and yet once again nothing…i have been playing the show since it started and i brag about it nonstop to customers and tell them to play the demo then reserve it cause its worth it,last year the demo came out on the 7th its the 18th and the game comes out in 12 days..WOW what alot of time to try it out…….thnx for nothing