Final Fantasy XV

Feb 22

Feb 22

MAG Developer Tips: Sniper

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar Posted by Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

People who play as snipers love it. People who are killed by snipers hate them. But regardless of which end of the spectrum you’re currently on, anyone can become an expert at the Zoom-in of Death with this excellent tips provided by UI Manager Steve Harris and Lead Designer of MAG, CJ Heine. But first, a video.

What’s up? This is Steve and it’s important that you know that Snipers are usually the guys supporting the rest of the team by clearing objective areas or preventing the opposing team from reaching their objectives from long range. Being an effective sniper and contributing to your squad is extremely rewarding when it’s done correctly. Here are a few tips to help you become a better MAG Sniper.

Basic Tips

• Keep moving! The biggest mistake that snipers make is that they stay camped in one spot. The action in MAG moves very quickly, and even if you are able to take a few targets down, it’s just a matter of time until someone finds you. Dropping down, taking a few quick shots and moving again will spare you from the dreaded knife in the back.
  • Keep moving, Part 2! The second biggest mistake when sniping is laying prone, firing away at opposing players while watching the rest of your squad failing to flip an objective. Unless you are directly preventing opposing players from reaching the objective or are actively firing at enemies in the objective itself, you are not making enough of a contribution to your squad. Run in with your squad using your pistol, PDW or knife and get that objective flipped.
  • BYOH (Bring Your Own Healing). Especially if you’re the type of sniper that likes to get off of the main routes, don’t expect people to go out of their way to heal you when you’re injured.
  • Don’t waste time by scanning for players through a scope. Stay zoomed out until you see distant movement, and then zoom in. Take a few shots, zoom back out, and repeat. If you have a bipod on your rifle, only deploy it after you’ve spotted a target, as you will automatically zoom in when the bipod is deployed.

Advanced Tips

• The marksman rifle in the default loadout is a fantastic weapon and often overlooked. By upgrading Reload Speed, Steady Aim and adding the Foregrip and Suppressor, the weapon is transformed into the ultimate offensive sniper rifle, allowing the snipers to play aggressively on objectives and moving with the rest of the squad. With this loadout, the Sniper can fire off 3-4 shots very quickly, which is enough to take down most targets, as well as zoom in and hit targets at range when needed. Just remember to finish off your target when it is incapacitated, as this weapon does less damage than the other sniper rifles.
  • The Improved Sniper Rifle in tier 4 of the Marksman skill tree deals more damage to vehicles and turrets than most other weapons, which can help your squad deal with bunker turrets, helicopters, APCs and defending vehicles. It will also kill most players with just one shot, unless they’re in heavy armor or have extra health. This is the ideal weapon for killing players as they are parachuting in, making it possible to get three or four parachute kills in just one drop.
  • Keep an eye out for sniping positions which give you sightlines on resupply points and objectives. The resupply points and objectives in MAG require a player to stand still for a few moments while interacting with the object, giving the sniper plenty of time to zoom in and get a headshot.
  • With such a big experience reward attached to resuscitation, it is common to see players sprinting around the battlefield, resuscitating other players. Take advantage of this by watching the incapacitated player and killing players as they run up to revive them. Skilled Snipers can try waiting an extra moment for the player to be revived before quickly killing both of targets.

What a great way to wrap up our class tips, thanks guys. Of course, we still have more to teach you. Tomorrow and throughout the week, we’ll be closing our MAG tip series with help for the game’s various leadership roles. Come back here tomorrow as we kick things off with Audio Lead Keith Sjoquist and his general overlord tips.

Add Your Own

TheGuardianFID said:

February 22nd, 7:10 am

The game rocks Jeremy, 10/10 and thanks for the tips, keep it up guys you’re doing great!!! 8)

Rwarner174 said:

February 22nd, 7:13 am

There are actually very few good snipers that I have run into. All these tips make sense and it seems like sniping could be real usefull, especially in defense being as players have to stop to set charges on objectives.

pgsdi said:

February 22nd, 7:13 am

Keep Feeding us DLC Free and paid versions. Build the Game with More MAPS and more GUNS. Keep improving on the Game and I will continue to support it. =)

King0fHearts2007 said:

February 22nd, 7:17 am

I have friends that are girls and they keep asking me if there will ever be any girl avatars in MAG. So my question is will there ever be an update for more avatarts, guns or map’s comeing to MAG?

Darkpen said:

February 22nd, 7:46 am

“Keep moving part 2” is something that I wish more players knew about :(

Tarheel_Mark said:

February 22nd, 8:07 am

Thanks guys. Like snipers weren’t annoying enough. Now you’re giving them help. ;-)

(beyond!)

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

February 22nd, 12:38 pm

War is hell, dude.

Loki_d20 said:

February 22nd, 8:15 am

There are too many easy ways to kill a sniper that I’ve kind of stopped playing for a while. I hate the typical chaos of run and gun with an AR or LMG-and do I ever hate LMG users as a sniper-so I snipe, heal, and repair.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the benefit of staying light and fast. There’s nothing I need to do more than run the heck away from where I was as quick as possible since a single shot from my sniper rifle against a player makes me light up on everyone’s map, even with the silencer added on.

Loki_d20 said:

February 22nd, 8:18 am

Also, you’ll be lucky to spot, zoom in on, and kill a target, especially with a bipod, considering all of the cover available and that people naturally know to move around as if they would die if they stood still for longer than half a second. You can get it every once in a while, but I definitely find that having my scope and bipod out and zoomed when my party is attacking a position immensely more helpful than trying to quickly zoom in and line up a headshot on the fly.

BaSeBaLlKiD721 said:

February 22nd, 8:21 am

I’ve been using the last sniper that you can buy for Valor. It’s an awesome sniper and extremely powerful. If you want to have fun with sniping, then I suggest you to get that sniper ASAP!

Speaking of snipers, Jeremy, could you pass on to the team about the idea of ghillie suits for snipers? That would be a nice addition in a future patch/DLC.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

February 22nd, 12:37 pm

We\’ve had that request before, but I\’m happy to log one more. :)

rbanke said:

February 22nd, 8:22 am

So Ive recently realised something which is kind of annoying me about the trophies in MAG. In order to get the platinum, I will have to veteran into each pmc at 60. The problem with this in this game is that in the real world most of our friends dont level as fast as we do, and may never reach level 60 in even a single faction. So I am forced to choose between playing with my friends, or changing factions and playing alone, or trying to get them to delete their characters just to go with me. I’m pretty dissappointed with that, I’m allready 3x the level of my friends, and have other friends who are still picking this game up, who will be even further behind me.

I’m sure this post doesnt mean anything, but still irritating that getting a platinum will mean playing solo most likley, which is completly against the point of this game.

G1283 said:

February 22nd, 8:31 am

man i saved 13 skill point to buy all the things i needed to snipe. add I LOVE IT. although im still learning of places to snipe from since my specialty is assualt. Pleace more loadouts!!

cmargary said:

February 22nd, 8:36 am

I really live this game and it’s funny because I didn’t like the beta 2 much. Maybe because people know what to do in the actual game. To be a good sniper is the most difficult to me even when I was in the beta.

Off topic… Mag needs more customizations and more, more and more maps pleaseee.

StalkingSilence said:

February 22nd, 9:07 am

“making it possible to get three or four parachute kills in just one drop.”
I use a SCAR-LW with all the upgrades and 4x scope to “snipe” – but this statement makes me want to start upgrading the sniper tier.

BALOT_1305 said:

February 22nd, 9:20 am

The only thing that’s bad about being a sniper is being away from the objective which gives you the frago points =/

XBLACKMAMBAX said:

February 22nd, 10:09 am

All this info is good and all and mag is a great game but what the people really want is a new SOCOM from zipper.

b_allerkb24 said:

February 22nd, 10:10 am

More MAPS please

Azure-Edge said:

February 22nd, 10:24 am

This should be require reading for every wannabe sniper.

I swear I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good sniper.

KillerDante said:

February 22nd, 10:27 am

“With such a big experience reward attached to resuscitation, it is common to see players sprinting around the battlefield, resuscitating other players. Take advantage of this by watching the incapacitated player and killing players as they run up to revive them. Skilled Snipers can try waiting an extra moment for the player to be revived before quickly killing both of targets.” That is an EPIC advice, =*( snipers always get me good when they do this.

StalkingSilence said:

February 22nd, 10:36 am

@BALOT_1305,
You don’t have to be near the objective yourself, but hopefully the guy you are shooting is. That’s what everyone should be sniping toward.

javon27 said:

February 22nd, 10:48 am

I’ve been wondering if there’s any way for snipers to get frago bonuses if they kill people at objectives. Would make being a sniper worthwhile. There have been times I was squad leader and played as a sniper. I was able to get more kills , but I think my squad sucked. LOL.

TheWarOrphan said:

February 22nd, 10:54 am

thanks! i really hate the fact that i cant shoot through sheet metal, wood, dry wall and other easily penetrated surfaces in reality. what about sniping passengers in vehicles?? great game tho!!

joostin said:

February 22nd, 11:01 am

I love this game, but can you tell me why my stats are counting backwards now?

my deaths are being tracked properly, but now my kills are decreasing by what seems to be random amounts.

It sucks to not be able to track medals.

willynews said:

February 22nd, 11:05 am

I was wondering, when will they bring PS2 on the PS3 slim. Please help

makingdamage said:

February 22nd, 11:08 am

Hey zipper! Can you please release a useful manual for this game? Thats explain whats the burn off towers and the other things you can destroy is good for. It seem like you have to ask people or find out for yourself it you want to know how this game works. For example, there are almost none information about the incentive to become a leader, what can you do as a leader? I tried to play as a squad leader a couple of times but people try to kick you because you dont know, because you dont get any explanation, how to do things.

LindenM said:

February 22nd, 11:27 am

lol the guy in the video didn’t even kill anyone and they’re talking about “being effective”

Maverick10 said:

February 22nd, 1:00 pm

thanks guys great tips
checkout my MAG review

madeup6 said:

February 22nd, 1:40 pm

Man snipers annoy that crap out of me! Way to give them more advantages…. Snipers are very important to the team as long as they keep with the squad and fire where it matters. Other wise you are just wasting everybody’s time and are a waste of man power. We also don’t need 50 snipers out there. Just because the going gets rough, doesn’t mean you stay at your spawn point and aim where no one can see you. The rest of us that actually want to win will hate you for it and you are just being a waste of space.

KUMAR_ROHIT said:

February 22nd, 3:46 pm

can i ask a favor. i would like to suggest you make a pro,average and noob division thing. cuz i hate playing with people who have no idea what they are doing

YODA798907 said:

February 22nd, 3:51 pm

Mr. Dunham:

I like MAG’s concept and you can’t beat 256 players going at it, however my heart lays with Socom. I have loved Socom from the first release & is the main reason I paid $600 for a PS3. Confrontation was a BIG let down & there have been rumors around the web about Socom 4 in development & that Zipper is back in control not Slant6! If you guys were to search the web & look at how many of your fans love & want a good Socom (mirrored off Socom 2) it may overwhelm you. Socom 2 was by far the best one you guys created the single & multi player, believe it or not but you guys pioneered how online FPS are played today. If you could please make Socom 4 like Socom 2 (Socom 2 just for the PS3) same game play, tighter controls & better graphics I can guarantee you my salary that you will have a fan base that far exceeds any Call of Duty or Halo game out there. Sony give Zipper the freedom it needs to make Socom the way it should be & be more active when it comes to the Socom community.

Sincerely,

YODA798907
30/M/GA.

Nemesishunter420 said:

February 22nd, 5:09 pm

Big thumbs down to snipers. Ultimate cowards of the battlefield, just hide and scope out heads. Would have bought your game but snipers have way too much of an advantage.

RuneKey said:

February 22nd, 6:18 pm

Great game, guys, and thanks for not making the sniper overpowered (I notice it can take up to 3 hits before a snipe kill instead of one).

Really hoping for some post-game free dlc maps, since we only got 9 maps for $60.

super_clo01 said:

February 22nd, 6:21 pm

Okay Squad leaders in order to keep your teammates happy set objectives so that we all can receive more exp points(Frago) also updated objectives as necessary, if your humvee keeps getting stuck at a roadblock tell your teammates to put a charge on it by pressing SELECT and pressing X on the map at the location of the roadblock, thats what this game is all about, those who have mics use them, tell your teammates to defend bunkers or get in the bunker when there’s green or blue smoke, for an artilley attack is coming, doing this also gives you health and refills your weapons. Those starting out some of your first upgrades should be a medical kit and scope for your weapon, Aim for the head. I can’t tell you how many times I have played Acquisition and the squad leader just runs off somewhere, stick to your team so they can get the leadership bonus you provide by being close to them. If you have problems getting a cross a certain area get two or three people to thrown smoke grenades, not only will it blind snipers, turrets and others just waiting for you to run up to them and kill you but if you plan it well you can even sneak up on the enemy and create havock on their turf.

Darth_Snider said:

February 22nd, 10:50 pm

Please stop TK’ing snipers.
Thank you.

jubjub516 said:

February 25th, 4:04 pm

have you guys thought of adding more maps? it would make the game so much more enjoyable

detroit2lv said:

February 25th, 7:54 pm

you need to fix this game. never froze untill this week(now daily).not my internet either.checked.

Tokirus said:

February 27th, 10:42 am

Great tips! Would like to see the tracers fixed when using a suppressor. Field glasses option would be nice too as its a standard piece of a snipers gear in real life. One last option that would be nice is use of different types of ammmo since different types of ammo have varying accuracy and effective ranges. I know obviously being a game will most likely not happen but would be nice to choose between closer range ammo for sabo and such and longer range ammo for big DOM matches

foeinc1983 said:

February 27th, 6:18 pm

Great tips! They are extremely useful.

XFallenXDemonsX said:

March 13th, 7:18 pm

Awesome game Zipper! You just need some serious DLC with maps, guns, gear, and character customization. I hope you listen to me and everyone else saying this. Also im reading all of your class tips, they’re very helpful. Keep up the good work! =)