God of War

Mar 04

Mar 04

SOCOM 4: It’s Official!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar Posted by Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

I wanted to drop in and deliver some truly exciting news – on behalf of everyone here at Zipper Interactive, I’m pleased to announce that SOCOM 4 is indeed in development and is slated for release exclusively on PlayStation 3 this fall.

SOCOM 4 screenshot Explosion

Of course, as with any new announcement, what you really want to know are the details: Who’s in your squad? Where have they been deployed? What kind of threat are they up against? Though we’ll be revealing the answers to all these questions and plenty more throughout 2010, we don’t want to leave you completely in the dark, so what we will tell you is that a militant revolutionary has unexpectedly seized control in an important South Asian country. As the Ops Com, your mission is to command an elite five-man squad charged with stopping his aggressive agenda before it’s too late. In only six days, you must lead your team through a hostile jungle and urban environments against an army of well-armed rebel insurgents that completely outnumber you.

If that setup doesn’t whet your appetite enough, you should also be pleased to know that in addition to the SOCOM’s single-player operation, players will also be able to enjoy a 32-person multiplayer mode that boasts more Special Forces units than ever before!

If you crave even more information, then the guys at IGN have you covered with their exclusive first-look preview at what we’ve shown so far. Editor and shooting game fanatic, Ryan Geddes, dropped by our studio earlier in the week to check out SOCOM 4 for himself, so be sure to read the full IGN article to find out what he thinks.

SOCOM 4 screenshot Team Running

But wait! There’s more! As part of our continued announcement celebration, the folks at GameTrailers TV will air the world premiere trailer for SOCOM 4 tonight at 12:30 am EST/PST. All you have to do is tune in to Spike TV when the time is right and let your eyes and ears do the rest. Don’t miss it!

Oh, and before we let you go, we wanted to send a message to our SOCOM and MAG fans all over the world. First, if you play MAG and wonder what this means for the game’s future, wonder no more – we’re still fully committed to supporting MAG for a long, long time and the addition of another game in our lineup doesn’t change that. Second, it’s been great to hear from SOCOM fanatics located in every corner of the globe as we led into today’s announcement. We’re extremely excited to be attached to this beloved franchise again and knowing that so many people wanted us to return to something that already meant so much to us has been both inspiring and touching – so thank you to all of you who wanted it to happen! We look forward to living up to your expectations.

SOCOM 4 screenshot Team Cover

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14

XXstupidnameXX said:

March 4th, 12:46 pm

I hope the trophies arent impossible, they arent even fun when they are as hard as confrontation.

I would have preferred a new ip announcement here though…

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

March 4th, 1:07 pm

We\’re looking at these carefully; don\’t worry.

xTruShinobix said:

March 4th, 12:46 pm

I foresee awards for MAG and this. The year is still young but this is gonna be amazing!

Zipper! Do you guys think you will also be making the supplemental Fireteam Bravo for this? Haha I can’t help but be giddy.

Blunttagio said:

March 4th, 12:46 pm

i suck

MadmanNeverDies said:

March 4th, 12:47 pm

Considering the botched job on the last Ps3 SOCOM, I think we can consider this game series dead and forgettable.

Why do developers insist on shoving games down our throats, when their games are unanimously considered to be stale, crap, or otherwise?

Don’t get me wrong, SOCOM on the Ps2 was brilliant. But the series has been ecclipsed by a handful of better series, and really should be left as is: a legendary series. Now we’re just kicking a dead horse.

saik said:

March 4th, 12:49 pm

Woot, finally a true SOCOM game! Sorry Slant Six, that mess Confrontation is now a bad memory.

JohnnySasaki said:

March 4th, 12:49 pm

Awesome! :D

CapinChronic said:

March 4th, 12:50 pm

Time to go own some Raven and Valor :D

Deeloc107 said:

March 4th, 12:50 pm

i just want to know does socom 4 have 3rd person and 1st person view like socom2 had back in the days.

nik3083 said:

March 4th, 12:50 pm

OMG! Thank you Zipper. This is what I have been waiting for since the release of the PS3. When I read this news I immediately called all of my buddies that I used to play Socom 2-3 with. They were just as excited. Thank you!

SMK056 said:

March 4th, 12:51 pm

can we see the game this yaer?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

March 4th, 1:08 pm

Yep. Coming out in the fall.

God0fWaR7845 said:

March 4th, 12:51 pm

Yeah very unexpected! yet awesome! i have never played socom, but i’m gonna get this for sure, looks/sounds great! good job Zipper, it is a tough job handling 2 BIG titles once, but i’m you guys will handle it! Cheers!

C-Moneys said:

March 4th, 12:52 pm

thats awesome

Agent_Clutch said:

March 4th, 12:52 pm

@ 154 you are completely wrong the last SOCOM was a opening act for a true SOCOM by the original Developer Series is far from dead. Guarantee this sells atleast 2-3 mil. For an exclusive title thats not bad. especially if it lives up to the hype and word of mouth gets out about it.

TheGuardianFID said:

March 4th, 12:52 pm

Freaking Awesome, Zipper’s back with a vengeance on the Socom scene lol, congrats guys on MAG, It’s an awesome game and I can’t wait to see what new things you bring to the Socom franchise, I’ll be watching the trailer tonight for SOCOM 4!!! 8)

trustkill said:

March 4th, 12:53 pm

very excited for this release. i must confess… i’ve never played socom before.

Coramoor_ said:

March 4th, 12:53 pm

@SMK056

the game has been announced according to this very blog for this fall

Demonhunter84 said:

March 4th, 12:54 pm

I have a question why didn’t you guys wait for E3 to announce Socom 4? I am a huge fan of the series and hopefully Socom 4 is better than Socom 3. Also do you guys have any plans for a Socom U.S Navy Seals Collection for PS3? Like having all four Socom games in HD graphics with trophies.

mikemill said:

March 4th, 12:54 pm

PLEASE MAKE THE TROPHIES ON THIS GAME MORE REALISTIC THEN CONFRONTATION’S TROPHIES!!!!!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

March 4th, 1:31 pm

As in, mailing you a physical trophy? That could get expensive.

J/K

andycapps said:

March 4th, 12:55 pm

With it having 5 man squads, any news about co-op one way or the other?

I-Fling-Poo-At-U said:

March 4th, 12:55 pm

all there doing is taking mag from 256 player down to 32 players online and adding a single player there u go socom 4 lol

buck-shot00 said:

March 4th, 12:56 pm

Great new, Thank you Zipper!!!

JoeDierte said:

March 4th, 12:56 pm

I am really excited about this. My first experience with SOCOM was SOCOM: Confrontation. Fun multiplayer but needs single player or at least training missions like Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising and Escalation.

tylerdurden30 said:

March 4th, 12:57 pm

Wow so this is the big reveal? This sucks. Haven’t we had enough of these military shooters yet? I know alot of people are into this release but I would’ve expected something much better than this for the big reveal. SOCOM 4 was bound to happen, and everyone here knew it. I hope those who are hyped for this get a shooter they enjoy and for the rest us , I guess we have other things to look forward to like God of War 3 and Final Fantasy, maybe a Jak 4 in the future or Twisted Metal. At least now I don’t have to watch Spike tonight and I can go back to playing Heavy Rain and Bayonetta.

C-Moneys said:

March 4th, 12:58 pm

Awesome news! Can’t wait.

Vasher52 said:

March 4th, 12:58 pm

Enough with the shooters Sony. Bring back dark cloud or hot shots golf. I wish there would be a fresh new adventure (Zelda style) ip. Were getting drowned with shooters this generation.where are the adveture driven story titles?

Berae said:

March 4th, 12:59 pm

Thats a complete surprise! this is awesome!

Berae said:

March 4th, 1:00 pm

I forgot…A coop part would be very nice too

C-Moneys said:

March 4th, 1:00 pm

I don’t have an account on the blog, but I somehow became “C-Money” when visiting this post. I was able to post entry 174 under his account. Someone might want to fix this identity issue. I am nice, but someone could ruin this poor persons account by this bug.

twooh said:

March 4th, 1:01 pm

Awesome. As long as /6 isn’t the dev of this game, I will try it out.

MAGNUM-RAM said:

March 4th, 1:01 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Thank The Lord!

Im kinda sad that socom confrontation will not be getting any more dlc though. Ever since cold front socom has been incredible.

Now that I know Socom 4 is coming i cant be more excited. I wish zipper could release this tommorow. MUST BUY. DAY 1. Socomers Rejoice! We BACK MOFOS!!! Hoooooooooooooooooooo YaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrHHH!!!

Life-or-Death said:

March 4th, 1:01 pm

Best new’s ever. When I get back from the A-stan I’ll be giving er hard!

Thrasher20 said:

March 4th, 1:01 pm

I loved SOCOM 1’s campaign. TBH I never played 2 and 3. Now I will play those and this one!

OuterHeaven77 said:

March 4th, 1:02 pm

A new Zipper Socom. This truly is a great day

the1pliskin said:

March 4th, 1:02 pm

Jack Bauer/Kiefer Sutherland as the Ops Commander! COD:5… He was great! :)

Shin-Ra said:

March 4th, 1:02 pm

SCE has a *crapload* of new games to announce, they’ve been spreading announcements over the year for years now. Don’t know why so many still expect everything at E3 and TGS.

“Gamer’s” ignorance about Confrontation and prejudice for this game, before even seeing it in motion is disappointing.

I for one am interested in seeing how Zipper approaches the single player and PS3 tech with a fullsize PS3 SOCOM and I only took a proper interest in SOCOM 1 on PS2.

remanutd5 said:

March 4th, 1:02 pm

wheres Heavenly Sword 2 sony? that would be a surprise , dont you guys think there are too many shooters on the system already ? shooterstation , sony please so many franchises so many diverse games and you are announcing Socom 4 not even after 2 months that MAG has been on the market and soon to follow Starhawk, Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 , if i wanted to play shooter games i would have bought another console this is playstation not shooterstation , please we want Heavenly Sword 2 , Twisted Metal , Legend of The Dragoon 2 , Primal 2 , MediEvil ps3 or more action/adventure / platformers / rpg games , no offense Socom fans but i was expecting something as big as God of War , Uncharted or even Heavy Rain since the guy on gametrailers had the guts to compare this game to those masterpieces , bah

jimmyfoxhound said:

March 4th, 1:03 pm

Seems like a strange announcement just a month or two out from their hyped up MAG game. MAG musta been a complete failure.

Oh hey, I have a great idea for a new game! Get this, it’s set in the modern military and a special group of elite commandos have to go into a foreign country and blow things up. EPIC! There is lots of blood and cussing. AWESOME! And you can go online and go PEW PEW PEW! ARGH! This is getting so STALE…

JayD-1K said:

March 4th, 1:04 pm

4 player co-op PLEASE!
and thank you!

desertdude10 said:

March 4th, 1:04 pm

Does anyone know if you will be able to play multiplayer (2 people on one system) while playing in the online 32 person mode?

Thrasher20 said:

March 4th, 1:04 pm

Why isn’t my Ape avatar showing up!?!?!?

startazz said:

March 4th, 1:04 pm

Well pleaed this is a single player as well as multiplayer ;-)just need some video of it now but i know we will get that later.oh and in game please.

TeeDog said:

March 4th, 1:05 pm

That’s the best news I’ve heard all day!

Ehahneli-13 said:

March 4th, 1:05 pm

I’ve never played a SOCOM game, but because I love MAG I will keep a close eye on this one. I just hope you guys support MAG for awhile, and I’m not just talking about patches. I want some DLC (new maps, new weapons, new customization, and so on).

MAGNUM-RAM said:

March 4th, 1:06 pm

Just Please Zipper dont do respawning vehicles! Thats the crap I hate about battlefield BC 2 and socom 3.

I hate it when a vehicle just pops in. Right in front of my face and says: “MAGIC”!

What should I do with Socom Confrontation?
I love that game even though its RAW. I guess I’ll just try for some more trophies this summer and get it ready to trade for Socom 4.

Hoping Zipper doesnt make this arcady like socom 2. Make it as real and realer than confrontation zipper. Oh MAN! I cant Wait for the Gameplay Vids!

Draicus said:

March 4th, 1:06 pm

Sounds and looks great! Really hoping for co-op campaign. Can’t wait to see the trailer tonight.

T-Jani said:

March 4th, 1:06 pm

Plz for the love of God have co-op……..plz

Shin-Ra said:

March 4th, 1:07 pm

Zipper’s speciality is tactical shooters so asking them for RPG’s, Golf games etc is laughable.

RocStarr_JEDI said:

March 4th, 1:07 pm

Great news with SOCOM 4 and can’t wait for it. Also, is there anything new on MAG dlc or maps or mission….I have lots in my clan and they worried nothing is coming out…

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

March 4th, 1:07 pm

Thank GOD SOCOM is off S6 dirty hands. Do not let S6 handle SOCOM ever again please. Zipper <3.

Online/offline co op? Confirm or deny?

lostinplainsight said:

March 4th, 1:09 pm

LAME this was the big reveal? I was hoping for twisted metal a proper warhawk a new mark of kri a sequel to omega boost but SOCOM? come on man.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14