God of War

Mar 22

Mar 22

Coming to PSN this Week: Hamsterball

Howard Lehr's Avatar Posted by TikGames

Hi PlayStation world! This is Howard Lehr from TikGames, here to reveal our little secret. (Eep!) We’ve been in stealth mode on this one, having a great time playing against our co-workers, friends, family, the guy we saw out the window waiting for the bus who was wearing a RUSH T-shirt (we lured him into our office on the premise that we had a fresh supply of donuts). Hamsterball is a blast and it’s time now to share it with the world. We hope you will love it as much as we do!

Hamsterball 2 Hamsterball 3

What is Hamsterball? Well, imagine if both Marble Madness and Super Monkey Ball were to meet a cute and unsuspecting hamster who’s out for a leisurely roll in his ball. This is the most frenzied race to the finish line he’ll ever run, guaranteed!

Hamsterball offers a ton of great game modes, including 2 player split screen, 7 player sumo and a whole bunch of single player levels. Oh yeah….we’ve got many unlockables, and Trophies too! (We just looooove Trophies.)

Hamsterball 1

No more worries about cleaning the cage or middle-of-the-night escapes, only to find your hamster hiding under your laundry pile. Hamsterball offers all the fun of hamster racing, without the bummer of hearing your mom (GF, SO, BF, wife, roommate, etc.) bark at you to tidy up Mr. Stinky’s cage!

Hamsterball will be available for $9.99 on the PlayStation Store on March 25.

Everyone at TikGames really appreciates your support. Please do let us know what you think of the game after you’ve played it.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

BrianMcGuinness said:

March 22nd, 8:03 am

I bet’cha this is very fun.

KIT-_-KAT said:

March 22nd, 8:05 am

sounds fun, but if only it was 4 player splitscreen.

March 22nd, 10:20 am

You can play with up to 7 players locally in SUMO mode! I highly recommend it. :)

MiltonMafia said:

March 22nd, 8:06 am

Customizable hammies?

March 22nd, 10:24 am

There are 3 different hamsters and each helps with differet obstacle types. Jumper can access areas no other hamster can (sort of the USS Enterprise Hamster), Speedy can overcome uphill areas espeically well, and the Spiked Hamster can barrel throgh things that knock the other hamsters around. Careful choice of hamsters can make or break a level attempt.

bdavid81 said:

March 22nd, 8:10 am

Super Monkey Ball Clone = Purchase! :)

Krakn-3dfx said:

March 22nd, 8:10 am

Architecture reminds me a little of this Tiny Planets CG cartoon my son watched a few years back, interested to see more of this later this week and hear what people thing.

GekooktEi said:

March 22nd, 8:11 am

Haha, looks very fun. Marble Madness isn’t a racing game, is it? Marble Madness was a platformer like tilt-the-world puzzle game or something, right?

#2, QFT. Just bought me two extra controllers but there ain’t enough 4 player split-screen games on this planet! (or console)

March 22nd, 10:25 am

Get yourself 7 controllers. You will be glad you did when you play Sumo Mode. :)

newjorg said:

March 22nd, 8:16 am

Looks a bit too close to Sega’s SUPER MONKEY BALL for my liking.

Except with the main character, um, shall I say, “inspired” by Disney’s BOLT.

This won’t win many points for originality, that’s for sure.

Fausk said:

March 22nd, 8:18 am

Is there online play?

March 22nd, 1:19 pm

Sorry, no online play… yet.

plaztiksyke said:

March 22nd, 8:26 am

is there a puzzle mode? local co-op play?

ate the graphics 1080p native? using MSAA?

who composed/recorded the music? any live instruments?

are the audio assets 24-bit and/or losslessly compressed?

any plans for a level creator like Cuboid had?

is it rated T or M? I’d be more interested if it had some adultish humor to it

March 22nd, 10:44 am

– Yes, there’s a cool puzzle mode. It’s the key to unlocking the SUMO levels.
    – Graphics are 1080P Native
    – We had 3 different composers, live insturments and rich studio recordings.
    – Audio Assets are clean as a whistle
    – Plans for editors and DLC need to stay secret for a while longer.
    – Rated E in the US, 7+ in Europe

krae_man said:

March 22nd, 8:31 am

Does it have the Hamster Song in it:

VVIIRRAA said:

March 22nd, 8:31 am

it looks really a good game i love casual games.

RuthlessEd said:

March 22nd, 8:36 am

Any video available?

V_Ben said:

March 22nd, 8:38 am

good grief. this looks like marble blast :-) thats a win in my book!

AwRy108 said:

March 22nd, 8:38 am

No SIXAXIS controls, right?

March 22nd, 10:32 am

Onarum said:

March 22nd, 8:43 am

@7

“As fun as this game may turn out to be, I hope TikGames have a clever legal team.”

Sure, because Disney has the rights for having a hamster in a hamster ball… man how stupid can people get?

FunkyTable said:

March 22nd, 8:47 am

Demo?

azariaspice said:

March 22nd, 8:48 am

I hope it doesn’t use tilt control, because that would make it extremely difficult. There’s a flash version of the game apparently, and plenty of videos on YouTube. The way those levels are made up, it looks like it’d be extremely hard to play using SIXAXIS controls.

I might have to get it though when I buy a $20 PSN card this week! Gonna get the Sonic pack for LittleBigPlanet!

March 22nd, 10:34 am

No tilt controls, correct. The controls are basically a modified first-person arrangement. You will find them very intuitive an good for fine control.

Glacier928 said:

March 22nd, 8:52 am

This is gonna be a great update this week already! Uncharted 2 DLC, LBP Sonic Costumes, Wakeboarding HD and now this! Looking forward to this thursday!

PantherX said:

March 22nd, 8:53 am

OOOOOOOOOH should i play this or God Of War 3?

March 22nd, 10:35 am

Our hamster can take their greek god any day!

freakyzeeky said:

March 22nd, 8:54 am

Does it have online multiplayer? D:

M1x3r said:

March 22nd, 8:55 am

Is there going to be a demo for this as well. I buy most of these games once I have tried the demo.

SpiritThief said:

March 22nd, 9:08 am

Gameplay vids or demo please

rafaelcoronado said:

March 22nd, 9:09 am

Looks fun… Hope it has two things Online Multiplayer, and a control that uses the joystick, six axis might be fun but hope you at least have a choice.

TikGamesMitzi said:

March 22nd, 9:16 am

Hi everyone! I’m with TikGames. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

There will be video available shortly through Sony’s site, but you can download it now from our site at http://tikgames.com/media/

Hamsterball is a fun / quirky game. Nothing at all like Bolt. In fact, I was putting my little hamster in a ball BEFORE I saw the bolt movie. Imagine Marble Madness meets Super Monkey Ball. It’s somewhere in between.

I can’t comment on a demo yet, but please do check out the video. Hopefully it wil answer some of your questions.

androvsky said:

March 22nd, 9:27 am

Sweet, I love this kind of game. Hopefully it’s not as hard as Neverball. :)

eFunk25 said:

March 22nd, 9:32 am

Richard Gere will be pleased

Seshat said:

March 22nd, 9:35 am

7-player mode! Wow, finally we’ll be able to play something else besides bomberman in our gaming parties! Thanks for 7-player support! I’ll buy it just for that.

Chrizs said:

March 22nd, 9:37 am

There must be gameplay vids of this.
This came out years ago on the PC

March 22nd, 10:38 am

This did NOT come out a year ago. We paid homage to the original, but there is a LOT of original gameplay using a 3rd-person follow camera that’s 100% modern and brand new. Check out the video:

Seshat said:

March 22nd, 9:38 am

Btw, that post by TikGamesMitzi looks very suspicious, I wouldn’t click on that link if I was using a Windows computer since it does not even go to the TikGames website. It may be a malware drive-by-download site!

TikGamesMitzi said:

March 22nd, 9:46 am

Sorry guys. We’re having trouble with our “official log in” for Howard Lehr (who will be joining us shortly). I’m trying to hang out and answer questions until he can join us. My first link with the videos was incorrect, but I did update it, please use that one. The videos should start also appearing on video game related websites today as well.

KidCommando said:

March 22nd, 9:47 am

Only 3 days until release…your post should have included a gameplay video. It SOUNDS fun, but I wonder if it LOOKS fun.

TikGamesMitzi said:

March 22nd, 9:48 am

@Chrizs — regarding the original game on PC. You are correct. That game was awesome. It got Game of the Year a while back and we loved it. So much so that we licensed bits from the folks who made that game. As you’ll quickly see however, although you’l find some of those original levels in the game, we totally “recreated” it for PSN. New perspective, new levels, etc.

JetSetFuture said:

March 22nd, 9:52 am

This is right up my alley. I’m a big fan of Marble Madness and the Monkey Ball series. Will this be available to purchase through Amazon.com’s PSN Store? I have some credit on there that’ll be expiring soon.

TikGamesMitzi said:

March 22nd, 10:02 am

@JetSetFuture – We have authorized it fr sale in Amazon’s PSN store, however I do not know the exact timing of when that happens.

zombie_56 said:

March 22nd, 10:02 am

demo?

TikGamesMitzi said:

March 22nd, 10:05 am

@zombie_56 – No demo at this time, but I’m trying to get you guys easier access to the video in case you’re not comfortable downloading it directly from our website.

twooh said:

March 22nd, 10:28 am

To bad we don’t have a super monkey ball for the ps3.

This game looks to plain for me. Monkey ball has a “outer world” to the courses. This looks like it is just a solid color.

March 22nd, 10:41 am

Our backgrounds and graphics are much cooler than that monkey thing. We’re more modest than them also. :P

Trombone482 said:

March 22nd, 10:39 am

is this game similar to the hamsterball game that is available on PC? If the controls are tight and the trophies are good then this will be an immediate buy for me :D

March 22nd, 10:47 am

There are “classic” levels that are like those in the PC title. The controls are very tight and the tuning was done with utmost care. While you play classic levels, you can unlock other parts of the game.

There are also 35 new levels that use a follow (racing) camera. These are mind-boggling and FAST.

Sumo is much like the original title with up to 7 players. Great fun for parties.

plaztiksyke said:

March 22nd, 11:28 am

when you say audio assets are “clean as a whistle”, does that mean 24-bit @ (at least) 48khz and losslessly compressed? I’m looking for specifics here :)

Any cool uses of shaders, bump maps, etc? This is one area that Super Monkey Ball had always missed the boat on, IMO.

March 22nd, 1:19 pm

Sorry, I didn’t compress the sound assets myself, so I can’t give you a spec on that. They sound clean (I hear no evidece of lossy compression at all) and the Dolby 5.1 sound sytem the we support sounds great regardless of what your TV or sound setup is because we supported all the variants to get true 3D sound. My favorites are the sounds the Hamster makes when he hits obstacles hard. :) Eeep! The music is clean and clear too.

acerazer1 said:

March 22nd, 11:35 am

I LOVE MONKEY BALL AND MARBLE MADNESS. SOLD.

Noooooooel96 said:

March 22nd, 11:42 am

SOLD!!!!! We’ve Always Needed A Monkey Ball Clone On PSN

Noooooooel96 said:

March 22nd, 11:43 am

Does This Have Online Play ???

NoobianGod said:

March 22nd, 11:55 am

I like what you guys were going for here! Looking forward to seeing more as I am checking out your link to the media as I type.

I too am curious if there is Online play or a playable demo before launch?

KwietStorm said:

March 22nd, 12:10 pm

If I see one more craptastic “Coming to PSN this week,” this year, I dunno.

rhcooper said:

March 22nd, 12:32 pm

Played Hamsterball way back in the day. Might be compelled to eventually get this one.

March 25th is a crazy day in terms of new PSN Games in the US. Blue Toad Murder Files, Wakeboarding HD and now Hamsterball? Who knows what else? Will they sneak in Joe Danger? Blade Kitten?

Just clear our wallets in felt swoop!

I’m curious to how big and fun the single player on this will be. I don’t do PS3 parties or even multiplayer… video games for me are the bake and play and escape (I know I’m a minority, not the majority).

March 29th, 11:34 am

The single player expreience is big and awesome. We paid homage to the original in our “stunt” and “sumo” modes and gave you come cool unlocks there. However, this is NOT A PORT. It’s an original title with the theme, so we added 37 new levels with a 3rd-person follow camera and 1st-person controls. The levels are full of insane obstacles and outrageous contraptions. Trust me, there’s nothing like this out there yet. Many hours of single-player joy await.

Kirkpad said:

March 22nd, 1:04 pm

@45 Joe Danger isn’t coming out for a while.

This game looks like something I would have bought three years ago when I only had my Wii. Nowadays I look for titles with the whole package. After the poor release that was Magic Ball (yes I still call it magic ball even though you guys were odd enough to change it to Magic ORBZ), it’s hard for me to get behind TikGames.

However, I can’t help but applaud Tik for keeping a steady flow of good, valued games to the PSN.

angelspawn77 said:

March 22nd, 1:20 pm

looks pretty interesting and I might consider getting it, the 7 player mode has me very interested. I must check out videos of gameplay! I dont have 7 controllers though :( I have 4, used to have 5 but traded it.

March 29th, 11:37 am

You won’t need 7 controllers to play 7-hamster mayhem. Each player slot can be filled by a living breathing player OR an AI hamster. So, grab all of your conrollers, fill out the ranks with AI, and you’re off. You will definitely want to unlock all the arenas in Stunt mode also.

meccamonty said:

March 22nd, 1:21 pm

i remember playing this on yahoo games a few years ago, good fun, cant wait for the psn version.. man this is gonna be a good year for the psn, this and then joe danger, cant wait!

Kirkpad said:

March 22nd, 1:30 pm

I have to say though, any game that is only $10 and comes with half as many levels as a game that is $40 is still quite a valued piece of software. It definitely reminds me of Kororinpa for the Wii more than anything, because that one had tables that could be tilted upside-down. Looking at the second gravity-defying screenshot, I can see this is similar.

DiscoJer said:

March 22nd, 1:39 pm

You know, you should specify which game system this is for, both in the tags and headline. Sony has two systems that use PSN. Admittedly, one rarely gets games, but still, you should be clear that this is for the PS3 not PSP.

PAGE 1 2