God of War

Mar 23

Mar 23

ModNation Racers PS3: Bringing Back the Split-Screen

Mat Thomas's Avatar Posted by Game Designer, United Front Games

Greetings! Mat from UFG, back again to talk about all the split-screen goodness in ModNation Racers for PS3!

There are two multiplayer experiences that we were keen to deliver in ModNation Racers. First, there was the online race experience (up to 12 players), while the second was the couch racing experience. It is hard to beat the multiplayer experience on the couch against friends – I think we can all remember this experience from other games we have enjoyed, and we were keen to make sure we delivered the same frantic experience for ModNation Racers.

Modnation Racers PS3 Two-Player

We wanted to make sure we delivered two-player split-screen. From the start, we wanted our two-player split-screen to work online. ModNation Racers enables you and a friend to go online and play the game together. This makes for intense competition and a lot of fun! Do you play together, helping each other out or do you take your friend out at every available opportunity? You can play action races and pure races together. More importantly, two players can play together on any tracks developed by United Front Games or anyone online. It makes for an almost endless experience that two players can enjoy together.

Modnation Racers PS3 Four-Player

Finally, we decided to deliver the four-player couch experience. This was a lot of work, but we have managed to create a great experience where four friends can settle down for some great kart racing. What we have delivered is a fantastic local multiplayer experience reminiscent of some of our best local multiplayer play sessions from years gone by. Sit down with friends and family and battle each other to see who the best is! Again, you can play action or pure race, as well as race on any tracks in the game created by United Front Games or other players.

Overall, our multiplayer experience has been created to cater to all different players, and we feel that when people play the game they will be able to get the experience they desire. Here in the office, we all play it on a daily basis with each other, whether it be online or at someone’s desk in split-screen. The game is so much fun to play and with us nearing completion of the title, we can’t wait for all our fans to join the ModNation in May! And be sure to head over to GameTrailers to catch the first four official behind-the-scenes videos! See you all then!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Destiny89 said:

March 23rd, 6:40 pm

Gonna buy this

Miles514 said:

March 23rd, 6:52 pm

Can you guys give me a big motivation to buy this? I like LBP but this is just racing and making tracks…

emjayx said:

March 23rd, 7:05 pm

PLEASE support split screen 2player PSN Logins! :D

FeistFan said:

March 23rd, 7:49 pm

@David2Crazy (post 100) said “Nothing would be more awesome then being able to play with my girlfriend as we both gain XP and unlock items for each of our accounts as we play online together with our own PSN IDs.”

LBP does this. Sony recently patched SingStar to do this (using XMB accounts in game, rather than usernames in game). Please do this for MNR if it’s at all feasible/reasonable. It’s a lot lower priority than good splitscreen racing, but it’s worth pursuing.

I’m assuming that player stats (games raced/won) are kept, and having those be accurate would sure be nice! We have one PS3 with about 6 accounts on it now (mine, one generic kids account, one for each of the older three kids, one for my wife), and it would be so nice to have their info (and mods) that’s already on the disk be readily accessible no matter who is the “master” user account.

JohnAlbert said:

March 23rd, 8:23 pm

YEEEAAAAHHH
I mean, PS1 was my childhood solely because of split-screen friend nights…
I remeber briging the multi-tab or soemthign called like it, and played like 8 friends or something… awesome.

JohnAlbert said:

March 23rd, 8:23 pm

Crash Team Racing ftw

Permafry_42 said:

March 23rd, 8:29 pm

i really with there was a more customizable tunnel tool in the game =C

for example, i would love a glass tunnel for underwater levels, or to be able to make a really skinny tunnel than you could spin around in. Tunnels are a pretty big part to racing games.

Musoka_Eimin said:

March 23rd, 8:48 pm

Hey thanks Chuck for answering about XMB soundtracks. I have been wondering about this since the beta. Looking to be a buy for me :)

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

March 23rd, 8:52 pm

On the 2 player online split screen, can each player sign in with their own PSN ID or will they get a guestid like in Warhawk?

LN_MEXWARRIOR said:

March 23rd, 9:04 pm

@ Chuck Lacson,

Thank you for confirming XMB music playback while we play!

Put me down as a customer!

Mat Thomas's Avatar

Chuck Lacson said:

March 23rd, 9:17 pm

Sweet! (I understand how music can make you drive way better.) :)

somethingatt said:

March 23rd, 9:22 pm

Ah, split screen. Missing in a lot of current-gen games.

This confirmation has made it day-one! Let the couch battles commence :)

GoldenGotGame said:

March 23rd, 9:26 pm

Sony is breaking my pockets! After Heavy Rain and the GOWIII Ultimate Edition, I wasn’t gonna buy anything else for a while, except for maybe GTAIV: Episodes from Liberty City (I’m moving very soon). Now I must buy this Day One! I already was going to buy it a month or so after release because the beta was so fun, but now, I have to support immediately. You guys just made a ton of gamers happy, thanks!

zombie_56 said:

March 23rd, 9:44 pm

good all games should have split-screen it is the reason i am a console gamer.

MohammedMK said:

March 23rd, 10:21 pm

Looking forward to this game!

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

March 23rd, 11:48 pm

The fact that Chuck is not answering the question about 2 different player logins in split screen online speaks volume. I wonder if this is a problem with the PS3 architecture, I haven’t seen any game that implements such a feature, kinda sad really.

jncasanova said:

March 24th, 12:06 am

AWESOME!!!!

I prefer offline multiplayer because I’m the top player in my house. When confronted in “the real world” (online) is where I start losing games!

Tailsnakes said:

March 24th, 2:11 am

I want this game but I cannot justify $60, heck even selling it for $49.99 would make it a day one purchase for me, but right now it’s looking like I’ll be picking it up in a year as a greatest hits or second hand. :(

Prangstar said:

March 24th, 3:24 am

will mondation racers support sixaxis controlls

IrishPete333 said:

March 24th, 3:52 am

I am so glad you guys are adding split-screen for both online and local. Every developer who makes online games should take a look at what you guys have done. Definite buy.

Mr_Pickle said:

March 24th, 6:15 am

Is this a PSN or Retail game?

luciFOUR said:

March 24th, 7:57 am

I have a question I hope somebody can answer.

Will the cars have different performances, with upgrades that we can unlock, or are all the cars going to be more or less the same? Besides using the turbo, of course :)

rjejr said:

March 24th, 10:30 am

Thanks for the news and all the responses. Since everyone here seems to be saying they were going to be buying the game anyway, I wanted to say I was NOT going to buy the game based on this Product Feature bullet point on Amazon:

Along with a fun single player campaign, ModNation Racers contains deep multiplayer support including 2-player local versus play, and 2-12 player online support.

Now that I know the game has 4 player split screen I have it pre-ordered. (You might want to get Amazon to fix that bullet point btw) My 5 and 7 year old sons love R&C so where to buy this was a no-brainer. They also love building stuff – levels on SSBB, maps on Age of Booty, everything in Spore and zoos in those sims games. Seems like this game will have all that, my boys are going to be praying for rain alot 8-)

jvunlur said:

March 24th, 1:09 pm

i am going to pre-order this game. sooo many questions were answered. this game just became the most anticipated for me.

i already know that i am going to love the game. there is too much going for it for me not to love it.

so since i kow that i’m going to love it, and i know it’s going to be a big hit… now i’m just looking forward to the relationship ModNation will have with HOME. *wink*

time to go get geeked out and put a ModNation Racers wallpaper up on both my laptop and ipod touch. lol!

TopBanana0769 said:

March 24th, 2:14 pm

May 25th literally cannot get here fast enough!

cjmc18 said:

March 24th, 4:35 pm

great!!! now this game can shut the mouths of NFS Burnout and Midnight club series!!! :D welcomeback splitscreen!!

mgsfoxhound2 said:

March 24th, 6:40 pm

thanks for bringing back split screen more and more devs are taking it out and alot of people still like it … so thanks!

mgsfoxhound2 said:

March 24th, 6:45 pm

wow u have outdone yourselfs in making the split screen with 2 players locally with online and using the map for 4 spot when 4 is not playing. Awsome thanks lots of people will like this!! other devs should take note ;)

Senjutsu_Dav said:

March 24th, 7:16 pm

2 thumbs up for the 4 player split screen. If an update could add 4 player slit screen online that would be the best (Even if you have to kill the graphics, nobody cares, I mean, split in 4, you don’t see it that must unless you have a more than 60″ TV).

the_jimster said:

March 24th, 7:27 pm

Hey @Chuck do you know if there will be a Demo on the PSN Store in April or something before the Release Date?????Thanks :)!!! ,jimster

lopes_br said:

March 25th, 8:47 am

man, this is awesome.

Now, all game it´s only online. And I loved play with my wife, daughter, friends and nephews… It´s a party at home, truly!

And the “party mode” of Burnout Paradise is boring: only one playing and other just looking…

LBP, SF4, SFII, Trine TMNT and 1942, are another few games with local multiplayer.

mattman111 said:

March 25th, 1:30 pm

Hey i preordered from gamestop and the guy said that you guys will be giving out a demo later to all people who preordered is this true? did he spill the beans cause i really want a demo :D

OREO955 said:

March 26th, 3:32 pm

Will there be an arena mode?

batmanslegacy said:

March 27th, 2:44 pm

Thanks for bringing back 4 player split-screen. Although I think $Split-screen should always be included in a game. I don’t see why not.

Now, will you be including a multiplayer battle mode in ModNation Racers? Please answer the question. People really want to know.

Erdie said:

March 27th, 8:17 pm

I’m psyched!

Zveadlt said:

March 28th, 6:58 am

Thank you so much! I was actually reconsidering getting this game once i heard that it wasn’t four player split screen, but now it is!!!! :) If 7-player split screen were possible, i would cry out in happiness…

Modboy96 said:

March 28th, 6:22 pm

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

OREO955 said:

April 1st, 2:22 pm

Either way with or without arena mode this game is still going to be freakin awesome.

CondorMcG said:

April 9th, 3:09 am

There are no bots when you’re playing 4 player split screen?

HUH?

That’s so lame, this game needs to be better than Mario Kart! The endless supply of tracks is epic, the customisation is epic, the weapons system is epic, the controls are epic, the online is epic!

BUT: How many people do you know who play Mario Kart by themselves? The same problem happens in every racing game when my friends come around. I am better than them, because I own the game and they don’t, so I’m always out in front and don’t get any of the fighting for positions that makes it fun. This game needs BOTS!!!

Also if you could have a handycap system that is optional that would be great :), absolutely don’t have one online, because the best player should win, but offline you need some random jokesness so that the player who’s game it is doesn’t dominate.

Also

agood said:

April 12th, 12:38 pm

So stoked for this, already pre-ordered!

SAMM_47 said:

April 16th, 7:35 am

I was gonna wait for reviews but i might just forget about them and PreOrder right now because

1) Play Your Own Music
2) Splitscreen
3) Online Splitscreen
4) Mariokart + Little Big Planet
5) Customization
6) I’m not gonna type all the reasons because my fingers will be in pain

SAMM_47 said:

April 16th, 7:36 am

Can you build levels with a friend like Little Big Planet ???

Clarinet_Lover said: