PlayStation VR

May 14

May 14

ModNation Racers: PS3 Demo Hits PSN May 18th!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

Happy Friday! I’m happy to kick off the weekend with two bits of news from ModNation.

ONE: GET YOUR MOD ON NEXT WEEK!

I’m happy to confirm that on Tuesday, May 18th, the ModNation Racers Demo goes live and you can finally sample the over-the-top kart racing action and deep creation tools the critics have been raving about. So the question is- “What will you be able to do?

Well let me break it down-

mar26_1f march_screenshot_31A

Get your Feet Wet in Single Player – Race on one of the in-game tracks against AI in Single Player and test both your driving skills and your weapon management.

mar26_2c mar26_2e

Face Off in Multiplayer! – Challenge up to 3 of your friends and race against each other in Offline Split Screen Multiplayer.

PJ33_07 mar26_4e

Design your Mod and Kart – Hop into the Creation Station to make your own Mod and customize your own Kart. See what you can do with just a fraction of the accessories from the full game!

img0018 mar26_10a

Make a Full Track and Test Drive it! – Lay down some asphalt and drive your track to life! Sculpt mountains, create lakes, and place props wherever you want. Then take your Track for a spin!

march_screenshot_34B

Save your creations and Share them in the Full game! – Keep you creations on your hard drive and enjoy them with the full retail copy of ModNation Racers. Share your creations with friends as well!

We hope you are looking forward to your taste of our next Play, Create and Share experience.

TWO: IMPROVING LOAD TIMES

There have been concerns online about long load times in the final game and while even though UFG improved load times since the beta, they are looking into further optimizing the game via a post-launch patch!

So there you go! See for yourself next week what ModNation is all about.

Stay tuned for more fun stuff on ModNation Monday!

Add Your Own

Darkpen said:

May 15th, 7:43 am

I think that 4-minute load that one of the earlier comments was referring to was actually the time it takes between going from loading the game from the XMB to being able to jump into a race.

Chuck, any word on if UFG could make the logos at the beginning skippable, because I think that would help a lot.

SykoTech said:

May 15th, 7:51 am

Also, it’s great to hear you guys are already working on a patch to reduce the load times. Really appreciated.

mommymatters said:

May 15th, 7:53 am

Get pumped up! HERE WE GO! Diggidy Diggidy lets go racin boys.

foodlionslave said:

May 15th, 7:56 am

I was going to pre-order this from Amazon but they no longer offer the Ratchet & Clank Mods. Is that a mistake or am I too late??? (Please let it be a mistake.)

Perish_Song said:

May 15th, 8:50 am

I knew the demo would be out on this update. Can’t wait. Already got ideas brewing.

BPatches701 said:

May 15th, 8:53 am

@101 I watched the full game video pre-release and yeah the 4 minutes people are talking about is literally the second you press x from the xmb to the time you get into a race which isn’t a fair thing to say because i believe it takes longer than that to get into plenty of other games.

Cck17 said:

May 15th, 9:01 am

question
During the beta i could not get on modnation online it kept kicking me off i DIDN’T get to play a single game online. Will this be fixed? or should i cancel the preoder right now? Even though i really want modnation..

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

Chuck Lacson said:

May 15th, 9:40 pm

The reason we have a beta is to discover and fix issues like this. You should be fine.

austin15555 said:

May 15th, 9:22 am

This game is awesome I’ve already pre-ordered it and I cannot wait! Until the final release.

BGursky59 said:

May 15th, 9:25 am

Booo! Should of released it a week sooner. I will be playing Red Dead Redemption all day.

etur0 said:

May 15th, 9:25 am

I just hope it doesn’t crash like the beta did on me I spent like almost an hour on a track and the game crashes and I had to start all over again

jimmyfoxhound said:

May 15th, 9:53 am

Well, I preordered! I didn’t mean to be a downer about the load times. Everyone’s commitment to the game makes me feel al little better about it & hopefully they’ll support the game for a while after release.

KanesInferno said:

May 15th, 11:32 am

Can’t wait for this demo… I’ve been hyped about this game since I first heard about it. I can’t wait to start creating karts, racers, and tracks.. Count me in!

pureebil333 said:

May 15th, 12:36 pm

If we still have the beta save file can we still use our mods, karts, and tracks from the beta?

rjejr said:

May 15th, 12:44 pm

Pre-ordered this over a month ago w/ release date shipping from Amazon but I still have to say – HALLELUJAH – for the demo, and I didn’t care the PSN update moved to Tuesday until now.

1 question for Chuck Larson or anyone more knowledgeable than me: in reply to #18 comment about the AI Chuck responded
(Or play on EASY Mode!)
Does anybody know if there actually is an easy mode in this game?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

Chuck Lacson said:

May 15th, 9:45 pm

Yup! You can tweak the difficulty.

uqg9 said:

May 15th, 3:12 pm

nice!

Makio-Da-Flash said:

May 15th, 3:46 pm

this game is awesome played it at best buy it is a for sure buy

snake14492 said:

May 15th, 4:04 pm

should i buy mdr or 3d dot game heroes,i wold apreciate an answer

Seahawk313 said:

May 15th, 6:53 pm

woooohoooo, just pre-ordered on Amazon, and im getting a 250GB for my birthday, too much excitement, may faint.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

Chuck Lacson said:

May 15th, 9:45 pm

Happy Birthday. Nice present!

tbond22 said:

May 15th, 6:56 pm

@ #117 I would say get both if u can. If you are a Zelda fan u will love 3D Dot Game Heroes. I played it for 7 hours so far and it flew by like it was an hour, plus the $39.99 price is cool too. ModNation should be fune too and then u have RDR coming out the following week. So many good games coming out in the next month.

Seahawk313 said:

May 15th, 6:59 pm

@118, oh crap, i just realized that amazon said nothing about the ratchet and clank pre order goodness, was i too late :(

conda3 said:

May 15th, 7:20 pm

Is there another way to get the pre-order characters if you can’t pre-order it. I ran out of money buying Super Street Fighter IV.

squallxlionheart said:

May 15th, 7:21 pm

Chuck,

this game makes me love my PlayStation even more!

BlazeKush420 said:

May 16th, 1:19 am

What about the BFBC2 Kit dlc for NA. It has been out in the UK for a while now.
first only xbox360 then comes out only uk for ps3. WTF.

none121ksa said:

May 16th, 8:59 am

coool

dequanmorris said:

May 16th, 9:36 am

how to get playstation store on psp

Ozmafire101 said:

May 16th, 9:44 am

I just pre-ordered in full at Gamestop yesterday. The demo should help keep me tied over until it’s released ;)

Darkxil said:

May 16th, 10:33 am

Another quick question if you have the time to answer please.

Does water now effect the recers in gameplay? e.g. slows them down a bit, splashing effects, rippling.
Cause I wanna make a Jungle track which is flooded and everyone knows water based tracks/levels etc… are the best.

Trying my luck with this question but can you give us some examples of what you can do with water in this game. Like can you make water canyons, water falls, massive water guns that blast you off the track or even just simple rain in the track.

Getting carried away, is it possible to make tracks at night time because from what ive seen you can only go as far as a sunset.

Thanks if you can answer any of these….

PunchoThaBoss said:

May 16th, 12:21 pm

Do this game game support custom soundtracks online and offline?

lPHOENIXZEROl said:

May 16th, 1:01 pm

@128 Yes as it was already answered here (and in other MNR posts) but of course you can’t save your music to the tracks since that would cause all kinds of licensing issues.

Good to see the demo is coming in a few days though IDK how much play time I’ll actually have with it since it’s only going to be a week from the full game coming out and I’ll be spending a lot of my game time with RDR. Probably just enough time to get a head start making stuff with the creation tools and a race to two. Hopefully I’ll be able to make the track in the retail version I’ve been wanting to make since the beta but couldn’t due to certain limitations and restrictions (including time since I only had access to the beta for a couple days) that apparently improved upon a good bit since then.

blazin80 said:

May 16th, 8:11 pm

As soon as this game was announced for the first time I immediately wanted it. Looks like I’ll order this one to go (Maybe I should order a good pun while I’m at it).

IcEcReAm_KiLleR said:

May 16th, 8:38 pm

Yes 1 more day for the demo it decides if I get it or not it looks good but is it the test is in 1 day I already put 5 down have the rest 4 Tuesday demo better be good

WhiteF8ng said:

May 16th, 8:59 pm

Oh I do believe I am “warmed up”.

Custom soundtracks eh? Not bad Chuck, Not bad at all…

nam-So said:

May 17th, 12:34 am

awesome!

Neevle said:

May 17th, 7:11 am

Woww!!! This is so good! I was pretty annoyed that they had brought out the psp demo and not one for the ps3 and this is the news i have been waiting for!!
Its great that theyve included offline multiplayer, its often the inclusion of this that makes me buy a game. Is it also true that there is going to be 2 player online? So when you have your mate round, you can play against other people online together instead of going head to head? If so, thatd be awesome.
Also, is the demo going to be free in the EU? Because i dont want to pay for it and then have to pay again for the full game :/
thanks for the info!!! :D

magicman88999 said:

May 17th, 3:02 pm

LOL im going to mold playing this demo! Just sitting there, tuning out everybody. I’ll kill just to get the DEMO!

deadeye126 said:

May 17th, 4:54 pm

This looks awesome!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for this demo since i first heard about the game. Already preordered and got the air raid DLC. MNR FTW

juggalorider said:

May 17th, 5:47 pm

@TH3_Hammer_29 what major games came out on the 18th? what RDR? thats 1 not 2, so whats the other game? it can’t be that good since i never heard of it

HIGH-RANK said:

May 18th, 12:02 am

Cant wait for the demo! I already pro-ordered at Gamestop. See you guys online!

Neevle said:

May 18th, 12:02 am

erm, its not there? :S
What time should it be there?

JAk_HAk said:

May 18th, 3:10 am

It is coming today, right? I was hoping it’d be here at midnight, but I guess not. Boo

Raven1348 said:

May 18th, 3:29 am

What time is it going to be online?

dizimatt74 said:

May 18th, 3:38 am

is it here yet? I’m Australia, and it’s 20:35, will I be seeing it by the end of the night?

waiting in antici……………..
……
…..
pation

DJHEMING said:

May 18th, 4:09 am

Hello fellow gamers

I have just remembered that the ModNation Racers Demo was on the playstation store and it is not. I dont know what has happend because so many people where wating for this and i am shocked that it’s not. You think it would be there. It is now 9:07 pm, 18th may. Reminding Sony / PlayStation Network that IT NEEDS TO BE THERE.
thanx

xXVyprstrykeXx said:

May 18th, 4:57 am

PSN usually updates at 5pm PST so I don’t see any new content until I roll in from work since I’m EST. I really, really wanna check out the demo but I think I’ll be into Red Dead or Split/Second until the weekend…in which case there’d be no point in downloading the demo since the game will be here Tuesday morning. I can’t wait! I have a Drake code and I’ll have R&C from Amazon soon and I was able to get in on the Air Raid dlc too so I covered my bases on most of the DLC…just hoping for Mouse Trap as one of my mystery mods! This game is gonna be the bees knees! Still hoping to see a Naughty Dog Artist Spotlight : ) Kevin Butler = hilarious. I dunno if this is really even a possibility but while playing split-screen is it possible to be online as well so you 2 (or 4) are not only racing each other but 10 (or 8) others as well?

Tomm4118 said:

May 18th, 5:23 am

Awwwwwwww……. Demo is still not on DX 7:22 am Cant wait anymore!!!!
What happened Chuck?

OveReAction said:

May 18th, 5:32 am

Damn it. It’s only 12 hours remaining. X(

o0Smythe0o said:

May 18th, 7:21 am

10:20 am Still waiting on the demo….boy if this thing doesnt show up soon people gonna start getting upset and stage a revolt! lol can’t wait til it shows up…

Gejost said:

May 18th, 7:46 am

It’s still morning in the US. The demo will come.

Neevle said:

May 18th, 8:10 am

aw i hope it is coming soon. :( im in the uk (but have a us account as well) and it probably wont be until tomorrow in time here as it is 4.10 pm now

effin_eric said:

May 18th, 8:21 am

So upset as I have been looking forward to this game all year and my PS3 died last week (no longer reads discs). I’ll be playing the demo for a long time.