You asked for it, so we’re serving it up to you on a silver platter! Less than one month after the launch of the mega-popular ModNation Racers event in our Media and Events space, the just-released kart racer that has officially taken the genre to the next level with its near-infinite amount of highly customizable tracks, karts, and characters is getting a dedicated space in PlayStation Home. From the light and “sticky” (no pun intended) fun of the Sticker Wall to the maddeningly addictive built-in kart mini-game, the brand new ModNation Racers space lives up to the eponymously named game’s “Play. Create. Share” mantra. And this Thursday, May 27th, the doors will open for all to explore, experience, and enjoy. Check out this video for a quick look at what to expect when this space goes live tomorrow morning.
On that note, we’d like to take a moment to call your attention to a special ModNation Racers event we will be hosting in PlayStation Home starting this Thursday, May 27 (deadline for entries is June 10). An opportunity for you to show the PlayStation Home community your mastery of mid-race maneuvers, the ModNation Racers “Snap a Trick” contest will award the winner with fame and fans beyond their wildest dreams (or maybe not – but it’s a sure-fire way to show the world just how much of a daredevil you are).
To participate, all you must do is load and start ModNation Racers and then enter into one of the following Game types via the Radial Menu or their respective Circle of Influences: Career, Split-screen, Quick Race or Time Trial (Photo Mode is not available online). During a Race, perform the craziest trick you can imagine, and then press the Start button to pause the game while performing said trick. Then, select Photo Mode from the Radial Menu, adjusting the camera positioning with the Left and Right Thumb Sticks until you have the optimal shot. Simply press L1 to take a picture, which will then be saved to the “Photo” section of your PS3. Then, submit your photo by emailing HomeContests@playstation.sony.com, with “MNR” as the subject line of the e-mail, and in the body, include your PSN ID. The winner will have their shot placed in the PlayStation Home ModNation Racers. How cool is that? The complete rules for this contest have been attached at the end of this post for your convenience, so make sure to give them a read before you enter.
My buddy Magnus Keynes — he, the wheeler and dealer of PlayStation Home, responsible for striking the deals that have lead to so many of the cool virtual items and spaces that you all enjoy on a daily basis — is getting the “sale bug” again (he does this pretty regularly, if you haven’t noticed). This week, he’s not only hosting the “Beach Week” segment of the PlayStation Home Top Avatar competition (you can find out all about it here) but is also giving away the Wizard’s Den personal space to those of you that choose to buy one of the following personal spaces: Summer House, City Penthouse, Lakeside Log Cabin, Paris Clock Tower, and Luxury Racing Box. It’s a pretty sweet deal, so head to the Estates store in the PlayStation Home Mall come this Thursday to take advantage of this limited-time offer.
See you in Home!
ModNation Racers Snap a Trick Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void outside the 50 United States and D.C. and where prohibited. The following promotion is intended for viewing in the 50 United States and D.C. only and shall only be construed and evaluated according to United States law. Do not proceed in this site if you are not a legal resident of, and located in, the 50 United States or D.C. and are at least 13 years of age at the time of entry. To enter, you must have a PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, a copy of ModNation Racers, a valid PlayStation Network account, internet access, and a valid registered PlayStation Network e-mail address.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal U.S. residents only aged 13 or older. Prize winners or prize winners’ parent or guardian (if the winner is under the age of 18) may be required to sign a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Liability within fourteen (14) days of prize notification. By acceptance of prize, winners agree to the use of their name and/or likenesses for purposes of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable or failure to return the affidavit within the designated time frame will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected.
2. SPONSOR: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC, 919 East Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404 (“Sponsor”).
3. TIMING: ModNation Racers Snap a Trick Contest (“Promotion”) begins May 27, 2010 at 12:00pm PST and ends June 10, 2010 at 11:59pm PST (“Promotion Period”).
4. HOW TO ENTER: Load and start your ModNations Racers game. Follow these steps to take a picture of your Kart trick:
- Enter into one of the following Game types via the Radial Menu or their respective Circle of Influences; Career, Split-screen, Quick Race or Time Trial. (Photo Mode is not available Online)
- During Race, press the Start button to pause the game while performing the desired trick.
- Select Photo Mode from the Radial Menu.
- Adjust the Camera positioning with the Left and Right Thumb Sticks until at desired position. (The Left Stick controls the Zoom and the Right Stick rotates the camera.)
- Press L1 to take the picture.
- The picture will now be saved to the “Photo” section of your Playstation 3 system. You view the picture by selecting the image while in the XMB. (Image cannot be viewed while playing the game. However, a thumbnail of the image can be seen while playing if you bring up the In-Game XMB and selects the appropriate album).
Submit a photo of your Kart trick (“Entry”) by e-mailing HomeContests@playstation.sony.com, with “MNR” as the subject line of the e-mail, and in the body, include your PSN ID.
5. ENTRY CONDITIONS: All Entries must be received by June 10, 2010. Limit one Entry per person and valid e-mail address during the Promotion Period. Subsequent Entries will be disqualified.
6. PRIZES: Winning entrants will have their Photo Entry and PSN ID displayed in the ModNation Racers public space. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal value if prize is unavailable. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitutions allowed.
7. JUDGING CRITERIA: The following criteria and criteria weights in judging Entries:
(a) Creativity– 60%; (b) Aesthetics – 40%.
8. WINNERS: The Sponsor will determine the ten (10) prize winners. Winners shall be notified by e-mail within two weeks at the conclusion of the contest.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All Entries are subject to Sponsor’s verification. Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion. Potential winners must comply with the Official Rules, and receipt of prizes is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Sponsor is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures, malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions or unforeseen schedule changes that may limit the ability to participate in the Promotion, even if caused by Sponsor’s negligence. Sponsor has the sole discretion to modify, cancel or suspend this Promotion should virus, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Promotion or Sponsor otherwise becomes incapable of running the Promotion as planned. Sponsor is not responsible for changes to contact information. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate including, but not limited to, gratuitous depictions of violence or sexual behavior, or positive depictions of alcohol or tobacco. The Submission must be the original, unpublished and sole work of the entrant. The Submission cannot defame or invade the rights of privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party personal or proprietary rights. Sponsor has the sole discretion to disqualify any participant who violates these Official Rules, tampers with the operation of the Promotion or engages in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Sponsor, the Promotion or any other participant.
10. RELEASE: As a condition of participating in the Promotion, all participants agree to release Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, agencies, divisions and affiliates from liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including property damage, personal injury and death that may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Promotion, or possession, acceptance or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Promotion-related activity and claims based on publicity rights, copyright or trademark infringement, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.
11. WINNER LIST: To obtain names of the winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to ModNation Racers Snap a Trick Contest Attn: Promotions, 919 East Hillsdale Blvd. Foster City, CA 94404. Prize winners’ name request will be fulfilled within four weeks. Requests for winner list must be received by June 24, 2010.
12. RESTRICTIONS: Void where prohibited or restricted by law.