Knack 2

May 27

May 27

Coming to PlayStation minis: Telegraph Crosswords for PSP and PS3

Yan Marchal's Avatar Posted by Manager, Sanuk Games

Hey! This is Yan from Sanuk Games. You probably know about us if you’re familiar with PlayStation minis: over the last couple of months we have released Hysteria Project, Spot The Differences and Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro.

On Tuesday, June 1st we’ll release our latest minis game: Telegraph Crosswords.

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Telegraph Crosswords offers you a whopping 500 crossword puzzles. You can browse through a wide assortment of Quick crosswords, General Knowledge crosswords and Cryptic crosswords, and make your picks depending on your skills and mood.

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

The handy interface and intuitive controls transfigure the classic pen-and-paper experience. Forget about crumpled pages covered with erasures!

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Errors can be notified either immediately or after completion. Interactive hints are available when you’re stuck. And of course, you can stop a game and resume it at any time thanks to the autosave feature!

Telegraph Crosswords for PSP

Telegraph Crosswords is coming out on June 1st for PSP and PS3 at the price of $2.99.

For more information about our games, please visit our website. And to get first-hand information about our future releases, please follow us on Facebook.

Add Your Own

dotCody said:

May 27th, 5:47 pm

Crosswords…boring.

JordanBlack68 said:

May 27th, 5:53 pm

Agreed

Blazian said:

May 27th, 5:58 pm

Probably because you two aren’t good at them. I think it would help me get better at them because I suck when it comes to crossword puzzles, LOL!!!

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 28th, 4:50 am

Indeed!

The game gives you as many hints as you need, and offers immediate error spotting if you opt for it. You can pick it up and enjoy yourself whatever your skill level is, and make actual progress.

I used to be hopeless at crosswords, and after testing the game for some time I became… well, a little bit less than hopeless :) – which, given that English is a second language for me, is already quite an achievement!

Yan

whatisdelicious said:

May 27th, 6:10 pm

This actually looks pretty cool; I just don’t think I’m into crosswords enough to buy it. Kind of terrible at them; I’ve always found a certain disconnect between the hint given and their desired answer.

The interface looks really good and would translate extremely well to a PSP. My only problem with it is that there’s no numbers on the puzzle. It’s not a big deal, but it would just make it easier for my eyes to scan back and forth between the clue list and the puzzle without having to highlight stuff.

But yeah, again, great interface and for people that actually like crosswords, this looks pretty sweet. Too bad I’m not necessarily one of them.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 28th, 4:59 am

Ref. “I’ve always found a certain disconnect between the hint given and their desired answer”

This game has different kinds of puzzles: Quick Crosswords, Cryptic Crosswords, and General Knowledge Crosswords.

I do agree that the cryptic ones can be very tortured. For example, “Prospect of free lap dances” gives “Landscape” because a landscape is a prospect and an anagram of “lap dances”.

But the quick ones are very much more straightforward: “Hounds” gives “Dogs”, “Boat” gives “Ship”, etc.

tdh004 said:

May 27th, 6:21 pm

Is it going to have better controls than the recent Telegraph game? (Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro) I’d play the game more often if the number selection controls weren’t so horrible.

Bought it to try out Kakuro – which I really like – but selecting the number was so bad it’s no longer on any of my PSPs or PS3s.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 28th, 4:13 am

Hey! I’m sorry that you didn’t like the control scheme on Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro with the analog stick to select numbers. We had tried different control schemes, and this one was the one we preferred.

On Telegraph Crosswords, the control scheme is different. A keyboard appears on screen, and you select letters with the D-Pad.

Cheers,
    Yan

MegamiTensei13 said:

May 27th, 6:41 pm

It’s cheap maybe i get it

Dice_for_Death_ said:

May 27th, 7:20 pm

Love me a good crossword/word search.

Frostquake said:

May 27th, 7:59 pm

good price, but not for me, the wife however looks interested in the game.

psn:frostquake

DiscoJer said:

May 27th, 8:07 pm

You should update your website, the last game on it was “Spot the Differences”

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 28th, 4:18 am

Haha, you’re right! I’m always like “OK, that’s the next thing I should do when I have time” but I never find the time.

I tend to update our Facebook page more often than our website. It is easier, and there’s more interaction with people who read it.

Yan

DarkAkatosh said:

May 27th, 8:28 pm

Wow a whole 500 crossword puzzles, that hasn’t been done since…oh wait, I can get infinite ones for free…

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 28th, 5:09 am

What you get here is 500 handcrafted puzzles from one of the most reputable sources (The Telegraph) – as opposed to infinite computer-generated grids with recurring clues.

You get them in a neat little game that you can play on your PS3 at home, or on your PSP when you’re on the go.

Isn’t this worth a reasonable $2.99? We hope most people will think it is.

Yan

tomsoldier said:

May 28th, 12:41 am

too bad… I have APO address. I’m trying to puchase my games thru PSN but when it’s time for me to put all my credit card information they don’t have APO to select with.

LaZy_GiRL said:

May 28th, 12:44 am

Boring X_X

javargash77 said:

May 28th, 2:14 am

Lol, people that say crosswords are boring is because sucks in this games,

I like crosswords and logic games, because i think are better resolv this on paper (magazines)

zerolaff said:

May 28th, 4:00 am

Good thing this is a mini, if this was DS it would a full cartridge release :P

Chuckbait said:

May 28th, 5:20 am

I’m glad this game is under $3.00, unlike most minis which are $4.99 or higher. Good luck on sales for this title.

Dax_Australia said:

May 28th, 7:48 am

Really confused by your decision to not include CLUE NUMBERS on the game board. It’s a CRITICAL component of any crossword.

In order to complete a crossword quickly, a player needs to be able to glance at the board and then quickly scan the list of clues.

By forcing the player to highlight each and every word just to see the associated clue — well — it’s PURE MADNESS — and it would become tedious very quickly.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 30th, 5:05 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You don’t have to select words from the grid. You can browse through clues using the D-Pad. The list of clues will scroll, and corresponding words will be highlighted on the grid. This allows quick and easy scan.

This is our natural way of playing, therefore we thought it would be superfluous to show numbers on the grid, and it would make the layout too busy.

That said, I acknowledge your comment, and we shall certainly add this option in future releases of crossword games.

Yan

BalramRules said:

May 28th, 8:49 am

cross-wordz for ps3?
soundz new =1
*hmm*

emiru69 said:

May 28th, 9:38 am

Sounds, interesting. 2.99 is a great price and crosswords are great to improve my vocabulary (I’m international student). Good luck!

Rytteren said:

May 28th, 10:47 am

i like the minis. on the ps3 they do need 1 or 2 trophys.. and i will buy them f##king all.

now sony, make the minis work on a sony ericson phone!

moup94 said:

May 28th, 11:17 am

I really don’t see a good reason to buy this for the ps3 when you can do online crosswords for free

DrHorrible123 said:

May 28th, 2:46 pm

If this is made correctly, we could be in for the first good “pure puzzler” (example: soduko), on the PS3

B055Y_ said:

May 28th, 3:09 pm

YESS!!!!! more reason to not go to PSN..

tdh004 said:

May 28th, 7:24 pm

Thanks for the response Yan!

Using the D-pad is so much more precise, and seems to have the ability to make or break a game.

I like to play games like this just before bed. Now that I know I can select letters easily, I’ll give this one a try!

Jvolel said:

May 28th, 10:03 pm

Are there well done sudoku minis out already?

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 30th, 5:20 am

Hey! We have also released “Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro” as a Minis.

It offers various kinds of number puzzles with different levels of difficulty:
    – Classic 6×6 and 9×9 Sudoku grids,
    – Sudoku-X (where diagonals must also be filled with numbers from 1 to 9).
    – Jigsaw Sudoku (with non-rectangular boxes).
    – Kakuro

Cheers,
    Yan

KSPRAYDAD said:

May 28th, 10:37 pm

Wow…guys…if you don’t like a certain genre of game do you really need to come on here and denigrate this man/company’s hard work?

Chillax.

For those interested in Crosswords…they can now get 500 for $3 (less than a penny per puzzle!) to play on the go or on the PS3…that’s a great deal.

colby1019 said:

May 29th, 8:07 pm

okay it is clear that some of us are bad at crossword puzzles. Finshied

sixteenways2sun said:

May 30th, 5:06 pm

I wish this wasn’t a mini. I don’t care for them much because of the way they are catered for both the PSP and PS3. Always feels sort of cheap. Any plans on making a PS3 only title that is not a Mini? I think I’d pay upwards to 10 bucks for one if there was. My only other opition on the consoles is Coffeetime Crosswords on the 360 and the control scheme is terrible.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 31st, 10:02 pm

Sorry, no plan for a PS3-only version at this point.

The present Minis version is reasonably cheap and plays well on PS3. To balance the cost of releasing a PS3-specific version we would indeed have to charge a higher premium, and I am not sure that many people would want to pay this higher premium just for up-res’d graphics in a crossword game.

Cheers,
    Yan

CaptainHuggyface said:

May 31st, 8:14 pm

Have you changed this from the UK release? Reference to US culture, trivia knowledge, sports and spellings?
I am a Brit living in the US so I have a US PSN log in, but I would probably find the UK references and spellings easier, should I download the UK version or would I do OK with this one on the US store?

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

May 31st, 10:05 pm

We did not change anything. Both releases have the same contents.

Cheers,
    Yan

SPOOKULA209 said:

June 1st, 9:06 am

there needs to be games for everyone. Personally games like these I pick up on general principle because they give me a break from all the other madness of shooters lol

MadeSicc187 said:

June 1st, 12:16 pm

I can’t find this game…….. where is it? I can only find the sudoku one and a puzzle challenge one. I can’t find the Telegraph Crosswords one! please help me.

Yan Marchal's Avatar

Yan Marchal said:

June 1st, 1:55 pm

Hold on! The store update is coming…

Yan