Farpoint

Jun 23

Jun 23

Now Available on PSN: Burnin’ Rubber for PSP and PS3

Scott Hawkins's Avatar Posted by Founder, G1M2

We are very excited to announce the release of our latest PlayStation Minis game, Burnin’ Rubber, arriving for PSP (and PS3) on Tuesday June 22. Burnin’ Rubber is a classic arcade game that was originally released by Data East in 1982. Many people also know this game by the name “Bump ‘n’ Jump.”

Burnin' Rubber for PSP and PS3

In addition to driving really fast (hence the name “Burnin’ Rubber”), you have the ability to crash into other cars and launch your car high up in the air to avoid obstacles, clear water gaps, and crush opponents from above (hence the alternative name “Bump ‘n’ Jump”). Players earn points by taking out other cars and by making progress through each of the courses in the game. There is a little known bonus for clearing a level without taking out any enemies — but I personally prefer to smash as many cars as possible!

Burnin' Rubber for PSP and PS3 Burnin' Rubber for PSP and PS3

We added some cool extra features to the PlayStation Minis version of the game including the ability to save and load your game at any point, toggle arcade game settings, and adjust the display mode (players can choose between a 1:1 pixel arcade accurate display mode with a cool background or a stretched mode which allows the gameplay to take up more of the screen).

We are extremely excited about the PlayStation Minis format as Burnin’ Rubber is the third classic arcade game that we have brought to PlayStation Minis this month (Lock ‘n’ Chase came out on PSN on June 8th and Express Raider was released on PSN on June 15th). We hope to bring additional classic arcade games to PlayStation Network and we would love to get your input and feedback regarding which additional titles you would like to see!

Check out Burnin’ Rubber at the US PlayStation Store for $3.99.

Add Your Own

Carl-G said:

June 23rd, 4:04 pm

MORE Retro games on PSN PLEASE SONY;)

Skv007 said:

June 23rd, 4:06 pm

awesome!
Thanks for the game!
I’mma go download it asap.

KIT-_-KAT said:

June 23rd, 4:22 pm

the more games they better! Looks cool

wolfzero1 said:

June 23rd, 4:23 pm

cool, I remember playing this game, it was pretty fun to play, gonna check it out

retro25 said:

June 23rd, 4:27 pm

Bring us more arcade games for the Mini for the PS3/PSP including Pacman games(80’s RULZ).

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 3:06 pm

We would love to help make that and other classic arcade games happen for Minis!!!

KILLZONE79 said:

June 23rd, 4:31 pm

i understand that this a mini but seriously dont make games look like NES graphics re create it better graphics

CanadianMOM12dad said:

June 23rd, 4:33 pm

Can we please have “KLAX” as a mini. I could spend hours playing, when my kids are at school.

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 3:00 pm

Klax is a great puzzle game. I was a lot of fun and would also be a good fit for PSN Minis!!!

Android66 said:

June 23rd, 5:00 pm

Burgertime please!!!

And while you are at it, how about releasing Data East Arcade Classics for the PS3 on disc? Say, at $19.99-$24.99? I’d prefer to purchase an entire compilation rather than just a couple of MINIs here and there.

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 2:59 pm

We are HUGE fans of BurgerTime!!! It would be an excellent fit for PSN Minis. I hope we get to make it happen. ;)

mikedo2007 said:

June 23rd, 5:22 pm

Alright, nice to see retro game. I’m a history wiz and I always want to try retro game. Let’s bring more retro game to the PSN and show the younger generation why retro game are important to video game culture and the identity.

JetSetFuture said:

June 23rd, 5:39 pm

This is cool. I’d love to see more arcade classics as Minis! RIP arcades.

BigRon3400 said:

June 23rd, 5:47 pm

No. Just no. I’m all for retro stuff but this is too far in the wrong direction. At least update the graphics. No buy.

americanGTA said:

June 23rd, 6:24 pm

Will this game have trophy’s?

Naughty_-_Dog said:

June 23rd, 6:33 pm

wow nes crap

The-Devils-Dance said:

June 23rd, 6:43 pm

Great game, but its a little pricey at $3.99

Frostquake said:

June 23rd, 6:46 pm

VERY UGLY…for me anyway…Others I am sure think that the Game is the most GORGEOUS thing they have ever seen…Beauty, Eye of the Beholder and all that Jazz…ROFL.

psn: frostquake

darthvonodia said:

June 23rd, 6:50 pm

I love classic games, but come on, $4 is way overprice. $1 is more reasonable…

fuzzyclutter said:

June 23rd, 7:26 pm

Now how did i know .. without even reading the comments , that certain individuals would comment on the graphics with total disregard that this is a retro game made in 1982 . it even clearly states it . recreating takes it out of the retro genre .

JoeBears said:

June 23rd, 7:39 pm

Burgertime would be nice!

ChiefSixOne said:

June 23rd, 8:16 pm

They should be free!

letherclad said:

June 23rd, 8:27 pm

Burnin’ Rubber?!?! That’s a blast from the past, I remember that from my childhood, it wasn’t one of my favorites but I might have to get it for nostalgia’s sake… actually $4 is a little much.

Random side not, I actually remember it as Bump n jump, I didn’t know it was known by multiple names.

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 3:02 pm

We played it in the arcades back in the day too. Bump ‘n’ Jump was the name that it was released under in the arcades in the US and for consoles in the US. Burnin’ Rubber is the original name of the game in Japan.

Glacier928 said:

June 23rd, 9:08 pm

Bought it tuesday night, had fond memories of this game and it’s great to play on my PSP!

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 3:03 pm

Thank you for the support!! We really appreciate it!!!

ggamdori said:

June 23rd, 9:38 pm

OMG, I remember that game. Problem is I don’t remember it was fun or not :P

Releasing a demo would probably scare people off so I understand the price point, but $4 is a little much for me.

Jeanse27 said:

June 23rd, 11:04 pm

Dark Forces 2 for ps3 would be nice no?

Cthulhu said:

June 23rd, 11:16 pm

Release Dark Lord!

RudeAnimat0r said:

June 24th, 12:10 am

Oh my god!

Day one purchase for me, I remember playing this on my friend’s Intellivision – or was it Colecovision? – as Bump N’ Jump back in the day. I cannot wait to try it out again, it’s literally been twenty years since I’ve played it.

Carl-G said:

Asteroids
Centipede
Missile Command
Pang
Bombjack
Arkanoid…
…Endless Old-Skool List really;)

Scott Hawkins's Avatar

Scott Hawkins said:

June 24th, 3:04 pm

There are many great games on your list. We are hopeful to bring more classics to PSN Minis in the future!!!

phade2blaq said:

June 24th, 4:33 am

OK I like retor 1980s games as much as anyone else but come on Sony let us play some PS2 classics ! How hard is it for you guys to allow all PS3 owners to experience the greatness that is/was the PS2 ! WE have PS1 games, Sega games and retro games on the PSN but no PS2 games ! You are completely ignoring die-hard dedicated PS2 fans !

SkyNet003 said:

June 24th, 7:59 am

Capcom could really learn something about prcinig their roms from these guys. Had Mega Man 10 cost $3-4 I would have bought it…

ode2code said:

June 24th, 8:22 am

Sweet – do you know how many hours I wasted on this game?

Chuckbait said:

June 24th, 8:27 am

More than $4 (after taxes) for Bump n Jump… a game that I played a lot in the 80’s… gimme a break. Maybe if you released it as a PSN PS3 title, i’d pay five bucks. If I wanted to play bump n jump, I doubt I’d have to pay for it……….

BigBangBear said:

June 24th, 10:02 am

Like the release of retro games, but I think $4 is a bit too much for me like many others.

Noooooooel96 said:

June 24th, 11:04 am

Marvel Vs Capcom
NBA Jam
Pole Position
Rampage
Tekken
WWF Wrestlemania
Terminator 2 Judgment Day (with move support of course)
Tapper
NARC
And A Whole Lot More!!!!

stimey1 said:

June 25th, 5:38 pm

Cool, old schol fun. How bout Cobra Command/Thunder Storm? Used to love that animated game.

Somebody should remake the Atari 5200 cartridge Dreadnaught.
hmm how about Space Duel?

Loving the minis, really captures that arcade magic for me. Keep em coming!

Bonemeal_1 said:

June 29th, 11:02 pm

I loved Bump ‘n’ Jump on the Atari 2600, though never played it in the arcade. But as it was so good on the 2600, I can see this being great. I get paid in a couple days, so pending the size of the game vs. free memory stick space, I would like to download this.

stimey1, I gotta agree on Space Duel. Man, I miss my old TV I had back in 2004. The screen was calibrated so perfectly, when I played Space Dual via the collection “Atari Anthology”, it had that really sharp fluid movement that previously was only captured when using the laser-type CRT. (Sorry, I’m a layman.)

In addition to those arcade gems, I really want to see someone resurrect another fantastic arcade game: MagMax. Oh, I could easily spend a month’s worth of allowance on that game! Did the game ever even make it onto any console?

Anyway, good job, Sony. I’ve yet to buy a mini that felt like a waste of money. They’re all good! (Now, if Sony could broker a deal and get Doom onto the PSN Store as a PSOne Classic…)