God of War

Jun 28

Jun 28

Dead Space 2 for PS3: E3 2010 Interview

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

At the conclusion of Dead Space, space miner Isaac Clarke was, shall we say, a little unwell. Though Clarke’s body survived his first encounter with the Necromorph, the same can’t be said for his mind.

We caught up with the creative director of Dead Space 2, Visceral Games’ Wright Bagwell, to learn more about the game’s gargantuan new setting, new enemies including the Tripod and the Pack, and new combat abilities including the Javelin gun. Watch our interview below to learn more.

Notably, Dead Space 2 will feature a bigger, deeper universe than the first game. No longer stranded on a dinky deep-space mining station, Clarke now prowls a labyrinthine interstellar complex called “The Sprawl,” comprised of hospitals, schools, churches, and unspeakable things that go bump in the night. Visceral Games has confirmed that the Church of Unitology, the cult-like Necromorph worshippers introduced at the conclusion of Dead Space, will play a far more direct role in this sequel. Naturally, Visceral Games is keeping its lips tightly sealed on the specifics of their involvement, but we can’t imagine it’s going to end well.

Dead Space 2 for PS3

Dead Space 2 for PS3Dead Space 2 for PS3

Dead Space 2 arrives on the PS3 in early 2011. At the 2010 E3 Expo, EA announced that the limited edition of Dead Space 2 on the PS3 will include Dead Space: Extraction with full support for PlayStation Move and Trophies.

Dead Space 2 for PS3

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Mercenary09 said:

June 28th, 9:51 am

Sweet! Can’t wait for this. Makes me glad I didn’t pick up Extraction on the Wii

SNEED said:

June 28th, 9:53 am

Can’t wait!!!!!!!

BlooodyCow said:

June 28th, 9:54 am

Dead Space 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I loved the original so much and I can’t wait for the second one

Direxnipe said:

June 28th, 9:58 am

i’ve been wondering about Dead Space Extraction… it says it supports playstation Move, does that mean you can play it without the Move? i dont think you would want to, i was just wondering.

Also, i can’t seem to post on Google Chrome or Safari on my Mac. maybe you guys can check that out, or you already know, but just a heads up.

Kchow23 said:

June 28th, 9:58 am

awesome Deadspace 2 looks like GOTY quality… wonder how much $ the limited edition will be.. hope it’s like Dante’s inferno $59 and takes over the regular version

poweredbyzen said:

June 28th, 9:59 am

demo please! :D

Insomnia999 said:

June 28th, 10:00 am

Can’t Wait!!

Any news on Qriocity?

When using PS Home, it should say where you are in Home, under your PSN id.

When are you guys going to put up Move kiosks in Best Buy?

I hope we can do some cool stuff with Move and 3D with the XMB.

Kchow23 said:

June 28th, 10:02 am

will Deadspace extraction be in HD?

BlooodyCow said:

June 28th, 10:04 am

@4 Kchow23
The limited edition will be $59.99 at Gamestop *http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76646

Mercenary09 said:

June 28th, 10:05 am

Kchow, if you look at online retailers, they list the CE edition at 59.99 for both Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2 so I’m pretty sure that’s what it will be

Kchow23 said:

June 28th, 10:05 am

@9 BloodyCow Thanks was hoping for that… so it is replacing the regular version for PS3?

zombie_56 said:

June 28th, 10:06 am

dead space extrAction count me in

Kchow23 said:

June 28th, 10:06 am

@Mercenary09 Yeah, but Canadian retailers are a little slow they only show Deadspace 2 no mention of limited edition

footballrule said:

June 28th, 10:07 am

Hey Sid, does this game have multiplayer? I have never tried the Dead Space series.

Gorvi said:

June 28th, 10:07 am

So is that PS3 “Limited Edition” the only version available, like the Dante’s Inferno Limited Edition on PS3, or is it something separate from the normal retail release of Dead Space 2 like other Limited Editions?

Frazz said:

June 28th, 10:11 am

Good enthusiasm in the video Sid ,you looked a bit nervous.

Cant wait for dead space 2 and of course extraction.

June 28th, 2:04 pm

Very low on sleep :-) Glad you liked it though! My head just keeps bobbling, and bobbling…old habit of mine when listening to someone.

Zezzler said:

June 28th, 10:17 am

limited edition picked up day one FOR SURE! cant wait to see more.

JumpMan33 said:

June 28th, 10:20 am

Deadspace 2 is looking great! any chance that it will have Move support like RE5: Gold?

June 28th, 2:05 pm

No idea on that front — you could check with @DeadSpace on Twitter, though!

Karsghul said:

June 28th, 10:27 am

day one.

Does Extraction support DS3? Would be a shame to have it be unplayable for those who don’t own the move.

ThomasJai said:

June 28th, 10:42 am

Can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickolas82 said:

June 28th, 10:42 am

Come on!……make them support MOVE controls and 3D in Dead Space 2.
That would be awesome!!!

Coheno said:

June 28th, 10:44 am

Can’t wait for this game…and I still need to finish the 1st one! Extraction might also be the game that convinces me to get Move…

Jobobo21 said:

June 28th, 10:48 am

Any chance we see some deadspace premium avatars?

rbanke said:

June 28th, 10:50 am

Also wanting to know if Extraction can be played without move.

June 28th, 2:05 pm

Def — support for the regular controllers is in.

Superstrokey1123 said:

June 28th, 11:02 am

I literally wanted to preorder this right away but my local EB wasnt taking orders yet… Doh. Love this game so much.

LegendaryPhoenix said:

June 28th, 11:06 am

What’s with the people who lack the basic understanding that Extraction is a Wii game that is being ported over. Why in the hell would that support the dual shock 3?

June 28th, 2:12 pm

It does, though, just in case! :)

sfgdfds said:

June 28th, 11:11 am

extraction = move = reason to buy move :)

looking forward; don’t need a demo ( must say the demo for DS1 wasn’t the best demo to convince people to buy the game… that’s my 2c anyway) I will buy DS2 + extraction on day one and play it night one :)

awesome!!

Coheno said:

June 28th, 11:12 am

YES! As #23, prermium avatars AT LAUNCH would be very welcome!

Patronaso said:

June 28th, 11:13 am

Please clarify the Limited Edition version. Is it a separate SKU, do all versions include Extraction, or will a limited number (i.e. first 500,000 copies) include it?

This also applies to the Medal of Honor game.

June 28th, 2:13 pm

You’d want to check with EA (@EA on Twitter) for final details, but it appears to be a distinct SKU.

BalramRules said:

June 28th, 11:27 am

has ps3 got momentum of WAT/!?!??!

KwietStorm said:

June 28th, 11:37 am

I wish it wasn’t delayed. The first Dead Space may be the best surprise and most underrated game this generation, alongside Valkyria Chronicles.

Vergil3690 said:

June 28th, 11:37 am

Dinky? The Ishimura was HUGE!

I so can’t wait for this game. I loved the first one!

Also, I would buy Dead Space 1/2 avatars in a heartbeat!

June 28th, 2:14 pm

Well, dinky compared to the massive, miles-long size of The Sprawl. :-) I think The Sprawl will open up a great deal of environment variety — the church we saw in the E3 demo was delightfully creepy. More variety is a good thing!

that-acmilan-guy said:

June 28th, 11:54 am

Sid will the Limited edition be limited in supply as well? or more like Dante’s inferno divine edition?

June 28th, 2:15 pm

You’ll want to direct that to @EA, but given that it’s a “limited edition,” I’d guess supplies aren’t infinite. The game will also be separately released on the PlayStation Store as well.

Gorvi said:

June 28th, 12:02 pm

For those wondering they’ve already said that the version of Extraction for PS3 will support the Dual Shock 3, but if you’ve ever played a light gun game with a controller before you’ll know that’s a poor substitute.

rbanke said:

June 28th, 12:22 pm

@Gorvi, source please?

KazeEternal said:

June 28th, 12:30 pm

Will extraction beginning any additional updates aside from trophies or will this just be a case of HD Classic re-mastering like what we see from God of War and Sly Cooper?

xPACKERSFANx said:

June 28th, 12:36 pm

God I cannot wait for this game!!! I just pre-ordered this and paid it off last week. I am uber stoked for this game and Dead Space Extraction!!! The sole reason I am buying Move.

Gorvi said:

June 28th, 1:10 pm

@rbanke I’ve seen it in a number of places, but this is the first one I was able to come up with via Google:

sfgdfds said:

June 28th, 1:37 pm

@37 so did you pre-order the limited edition?

xPACKERSFANx said:

June 28th, 1:42 pm

@39 Yes sir, all the way, specially since the 1st Dead Space limited edition was on a different console and only had 1,000 available, I missed out on that one….

Gunwing said:

June 28th, 1:43 pm

Nice job getting the third party developers to support the PS3 correctly with non shotty ports. IE the PS3 versions of both this and Medal of Honor look and run super smooth on PS3! Also I just Got Batman for my PS3, and I must say it looks and runs super smooth on the PS3.

(In some ways better then other platforms because it dosent drop from 60FPS, to 12FPS in heavy combat)

Any chance we could get shots of Dead Space Extraction with PS Move support? I want to see the graphics enhancements made to that title!

June 28th, 2:17 pm

I’d love to see that! I’ll see if we can’t make something happen there.

Thrasher20 said:

June 28th, 2:26 pm

Dead Space 2 baby. I am definitely going to pre-order right now if possible!

SirTrigalot said:

June 28th, 2:45 pm

I perordered this when I heard the announcement at Sony’s press conference. Looking forward to Dead Space 2, Extraction and Move

BigBangBear said:

June 28th, 2:54 pm

@13 – gamestop.ca is listing Dead Space 2 Limited Edition for $69.99.

colonel007 said:

June 28th, 3:01 pm

Sid,

I love your enthusiasm about Share, but we found out today, with the announcement of 3.40 that Share is completely USELESS! Not one of the many features requested were implemented, especially the Number ONE since first day!

On topic:
Will Dead Space extraction be in the same disc, and will it be selected on the Start Menu from the game, or will there be two Disc Icons on the XMB under game?

Thanks Sid

June 29th, 11:09 am

Well at least you love my enthusiasm! ;-) In all seriousness, Share isn’t anything more than a giant database of user ideas that we can track and monitor. A popular idea on Share doesn’t guarantee it’ll be enacted any more than me replying to a user idea and saying, “yeah, that’s a cool idea!”

That said, some of the Share ideas have been put in action and you’ll see some proof of that soon. If nothing else, plopping your ideas on Share is an excellent, positive, and productive first step. It doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does get our attention. The company DOES read Share.

I don’t know about your Dead Space question — you might want to hit up @EA or @deadspace on Twitter. Thanks Colonel! (^_^)

PoloM29 said:

June 28th, 3:08 pm

Ok I’m getting this. I have to.

CrazyRap said:

June 28th, 3:22 pm

A must buy game :)
thanks Sid.

June 29th, 11:10 am

My pleasure! I’ve got a thing for Necromorphs.

KidCommando said:

June 28th, 5:08 pm

Awesome!

I NEED Dead Space 2 NOW! :P

Thanks for all the replies Sid Shuman. I wish more blog posters were as connected with the audience as yourself.

June 29th, 11:11 am

Happy to be here. Dead Space was an obsession of mine back in 2008, definitely drooling for DS2.

naiyo said:

June 28th, 5:08 pm

Dead Space Ex. on the wii the player could do a melee attack move by swinging the nunchuck… so will that be possible with the Navi or do you have to use two Move controllers? Does the Navi have even rumble in it? For 30 dollars it seems like it should have some motion control or rumble in it.

Edd said:

June 28th, 5:17 pm

So is Dead Space 2 going to support move along with Extraction? If so that’s a double win, I’m super excited for Move, and I’ll be buying the dead space 2 special edition.

June 29th, 11:14 am

No word there, but Extraction definitely does.

PAGE 1 2