God of War

Jun 28

Jun 28

PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 Available Now

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

UPDATE: Thanks for all of the feedback. Just a quick update, 3.40 has been released. In addition, PlayStation Plus is now available in the PlayStation Store.

We’re thrilled to hear that many of you are excited about the five star rating feature. This feature is retroactive for all of your PlayStation Store activity, so you can jump into the store right now and start rating all of your past purchases. Look for a “Rate” button on the product pages.

The PSN App on Facebook is also live. You can find it here: http://apps.facebook.com/playstation.

Hi everyone, once again we’re adding new features to the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system via firmware update to ensure we’re bringing you the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible. PS3 system software update (v3.40) will be available soon, adding the PlayStation Plus subscription, enhancements to the connection between your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts and more. Additionally, we’ll be launching system software update (v6.30) for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system simultaneously with PS3 system software update (v3.40), adding PlayStation Plus compatibility as well as other new features.

We’ve gone ahead and provided a few highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below:

• PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
  • Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
  • Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
  • Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
  • Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

photo Commentvideo upload

In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.

Add Friend Friends list PSN Tab

We’re very excited to be able to provide you with continued system software upgrades, which ensure your PS3 and PSP systems remain compelling offerings for years to come. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 and PSP systems, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate and http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psp/.

Let us know your thoughts. Enjoy!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 16 17 18 19 20

acozzens said:

June 29th, 7:59 pm

Hey guys, we made a little demo video.
( yes, we link back to this beloved blog )

My knee jerk is that YES I LIKE IT, especially the video editing.. I have to re-record my MLB clips now, because I want them live.. thanks.

DDavidian said:

June 29th, 9:22 pm

For all of you complaining that you can’t upload videos made with the PS Eye or any other video that you saved on the system before firmware 3.40: Just copy it to a memory stick, psp etc. Then copy it back to the system and it’s ready to be edited and uploaded.

I still think it’s pretty stupid that you can’t just do it without all that hassle, though.

Flauros23 said:

June 29th, 9:26 pm

small note @831: listening to music in-game is already supported, but there are a few limitations. 1) the music has to be on your PS3 hard drive. it won’t work from a cd or external drive. 2) the game itself has to support listening to music. some do, a lot don’t. I know for a fact that Crystal Defenders does, but that’s the only one I can remember off the top of my head. I imagine that’s a feature that’s decided upon by the game developers, and not Sony, therefore it wouldn’t be practical to add support for music in all games in a future update.

BlackBishopBoy said:

June 29th, 10:07 pm

This sounds good but after reading some of the other comments i am still left somewhat satisfied i mean sure most of us will never be satisfied because all of the damn Xbox users are all like ” haha you finally got something like we did(Live)” and i REALLY wouldn’t mind listening to my music instead of the lame soundtracks of several games that i own. Last thing, i don’t really care for cross game chat so i can’t say but improvements are always wanted 8 out of 10 on the update thanks Sony :D

Levasaurus said:

June 29th, 10:24 pm

Hmm..some of you don’t realise you can already listen to music on your PS3 in-game. Most of the games released after that update allow you to. RDR does as well as several of my other games.

FOS said:

June 29th, 11:01 pm

I love Plus. Already getting my money’s worth with all the free stuff you get as being a member. Background downloads would be awesome if it worked for all the games in your library. It updated my Heavy Rain, Red Dead, and Rachet and Clank, but weirdly didn’t update the following:

ModNation Racer 1.01
Super Stardust HD 5.0
Wipeout HD 2.20
Crash Commando 2.02
Burn Zombie Burn 1.03

The games above haven’t played in months but would’ve liked to have seen all games updated this morning. Hopefully, Sony will fix this!

DeMolay88 said:

June 29th, 11:06 pm

rating thing is a great feature finally to have.

but i am having a problem with the facebook app. after the first time i used it, whenever i try to return to the app page, it doesn’t load. at all. just a blank page.

PaperRedemption said:

June 29th, 11:52 pm

Thank You for the update :D I’ll see how plus gets along before I consider getting it. Cross Game Chat though is still in demand :)

KingsOfLions_pr said:

June 30th, 12:07 am

Nice update

evil_RESIDENT87 said:

June 30th, 12:15 am

allow Video Uploader/Editor and eye Create to work, being i make a video with eye Create the Video Uploader/Editor won’t allow the video i made to work. This is bull crap so i have to own a pc to use Video Uploader/Editor then i have to buy a pc webcam too what! Come on sony this is bull!!

CombustionManX said:

June 30th, 12:22 am

This is one of the best updates we’ve had in a long time. Great work Sony!!!

DDavidian said:

June 30th, 12:28 am

@856, read comments 825 and/or 849.

lewiatan_usa said:

June 30th, 1:03 am

It’s OtherOS back?

Shadowcrazy said:

June 30th, 1:33 am

AND JUST LIKE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY AND LINUX SONY WILL TAKE THIS AWAY AS WELL

SO DON’T GET TOO COMFY FRIENDS ;)

NV_Misfit said:

June 30th, 2:18 am

The video editor/uploader is retarded.First of all you have to import a video to the Playstation 3.Anybody that has videos stored somewhere other than a PS3 is most likely going to have a computer.If that person has a computer they can simply upload their video to YouTube or Facebook with their computer so why would they want to take extra time to import it to the PS3?They could also download a plethora of free video editing software that is 100 million times better than this.All it lets you do is add text,cut sections out,change playback speed,and add 1 of 16 generic music tracks to the background.Why the hell can’t I add my own audio to the video?You get to wait an incredibly long time while it makes your video take up more hard drive space then it did originally(an 11 MB file turned into a 71 MB file and all I did was add 6 words of text to the video,then it took 5 minutes to save!)On top of that [DELETED],you can’t edit any videos created with EyeCreate.That is absolutely retarded.What really [DELETED] me off is the fact that I can’t delete it now.

NV_Misfit said:

June 30th, 2:18 am

Don’t bother installing the useless video editor.Sony,you need to stop wasting development time on useless software and give your customers what they actually want.Like cross-game chat!Does anyone at Sony actually pay attention to what their customers are saying?Apparently not.Morons.

the_best_boy_mc said:

June 30th, 5:43 am

please i had an erorr when i get to 77% every time .. so please replay me as fast as u can.

samuel_455 said:

June 30th, 5:44 am

Dear Playstation, I know this is so out of the subject, but do you guys know when you are getting the Patapon 3 PSP Demo in English? I really NEED to get my hands on any thing of the new Patapon 3! Please HELP!

the_best_boy_mc said:

June 30th, 5:45 am

help meeeee please please please error while download in 77%

KIRBZ204 said:

June 30th, 6:29 am

DEAR SONY, PLEASE FIX THE VIDEO STREAMING ASAP, I CANT WATCH YOUTUBE IN HD OR MEGAVIDEO BECAUSE OF THIS SAD UPDATE!

Love, KIRBZ

cimerians said:

June 30th, 6:55 am

I don’t like this:
“Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus”

Are they kidding me?

Screw that. No way.

Haydon323 said:

June 30th, 7:09 am

So…when is the promised 3D blu-ray update coming out? Good to see it’s continually delayed.

snakeeatered said:

June 30th, 8:56 am

WE WANT TO USE ARE EYE TOY WITH VIDEO EDITOR,PLEASE FIX THIS

So-sick-Legend said:

June 30th, 9:30 am

we want cross game chat!!!!!!!!
sony come on!!!

Raj555 said:

June 30th, 9:45 am

Please listen to us, give us the features we want. How does SONY decide what’s important?? This blog seems useless to get our thoughts heard!
MKV and cross game chat plz!!!

Vaca213 said:

June 30th, 9:58 am

has come to my attention, that we need mozilla firefox to see most flash videos, i mostly use my ps3 to see videos over the internet. Sony better do somthing about like adding firefox or a stronger web browser, my ps3 cannot display things on their own page, WTH!!!

amby3394 said:

June 30th, 10:01 am

you know what they should let people message from the pc to the friends list… that’s a good ideal if you ask me lol

Amielucha said:

June 30th, 10:05 am

Does the video editor support videos from Playstation Eye (recorded with EyeCreate)?

If yes: why are mine greyed-out/unavailable? (yes, I created them AFTER the 3.40 update)

If no: what’s the point of this video editor then??

scorpio2126 said:

June 30th, 10:10 am

Hi could u help me the update cant be upload to my ps3 it reachs 75% and it stops and says ( an error occurred ) (8002F997)

and i cant sign in :(

Tablet999 said:

June 30th, 11:57 am

This is all really awesome! I love the new features with all the recent updates.

But PLEASE there’s one tiny problem I really hope can be resolved; Why can’t I listen to music while copying files to and from my Ps3? I thought the new firmware would make it possible. I’m sure everyone can agree that it would be nice if the music didn’t stop everytime you copy something.

Other than that, the Ps3 is beyond wonderful and I’d just like to thank Sony for all the awesome stuff.

meryckk said:

June 30th, 12:02 pm

I don’t know if it’s just me but that facebook app just seems to take me in circles. Can we get a fix for it or something?!?!?!

jason_rb said:

June 30th, 12:08 pm

Scorpio people on forums are saying safe mode.. Or call sony.. They always know how to help.. Make a backup 1st before you call them. Try putting firmware on a USB stick following instructions on where to put it.

Gunwing said:

June 30th, 12:10 pm

Thanks for the massive update! BTW: any chance we could move the PS3 from software scaling to hardware scaling on the Cell CPU? That might help developers alot. Or did the latest update do that? I thought I read some where that the Cell was now being used for all Graphics scaling on the PS3 thus allowing the RSX GPU to do even more as of this update.

If this is the case major props to Sony for making it easyer for developers to make great games on PS3!

disneyboi81 said:

June 30th, 4:02 pm

Great update, my few things: not being able to record videos via the PS Eye with the new video editor, 3D movie playback not out yet when Sony has their own 3D Blu-ray out =(, how about 3D dynamic themes?, and an update to the flash player as was very disappointed that I could view flash videos as it is not 10.01. Overall good update not sure though how I’ll use the video editior unless it will tie into SingStar for youtube uploading…

acerazer1 said:

June 30th, 4:19 pm

I LOVE YOU ERIC

slacker450 said:

June 30th, 7:15 pm

just got the yellow light of death after 3.40

jim488 said:

June 30th, 8:08 pm

first off… found it strange that i couldn’t “confirm purchase” of my latest Rock Band 2 songs from the Playstation Store (just kept flashing after pressing x on “confirm purchase”… had to turn off ps3, but then it showed them as purchased and i installed them… fired up Rock Band 2, and it now FREEZES every time on the MTV Games logo screen. ALL my other games take FOREVER to load, but eventually do. just seems Rock Band 2 and the hundreds of dollars i poored into dlc is now lost, forever. granted, i have a 40 gig ps3… so does sony even attempt to test these updates on the older hardware? frustrating.

Adelheid said:

June 30th, 10:12 pm

Awesome update, just having issues adding a tab for the psn id app on facebook, hope you guys fix it soon, aside from that awesome update guys :D

ribeirobreno said:

June 30th, 10:41 pm

These numbers are messy… what i said before doesn’t make sense now.

ribeirobreno said:

June 30th, 10:43 pm

I almost hate this update…

aceofspade110592 said:

June 30th, 10:44 pm

y cant i watch videos on megavideo

Cesarr468 said:

July 1st, 7:57 am

Ok i have no idea wats been goin on but SONY UR AWSOME!!!! A while ago my last update was 3.00 and wen i got 3.40 suddenly i was able to go back to my xmb screen from my music with my songs still playing!!!!! THANK YOU SONY!!!!!!

csdesign said:

July 1st, 11:48 am

Yes, it’s a “good” firmware update, but the Video Editor & Uploader don’t load videos uoloaded below 3.40 for some reason.
My PS3 60GB PAL have some issues life freezing during the loadings and stop downloading the cue list sometimes. Any reason???

We need some kind of search for mp3 and pictures. I have tons of mp3’s and it’s very dificult to find some files.
And try to fix the “OtherOS security reasons” and return it into the system.

Many thanks

highlander21 said:

July 1st, 1:37 pm

Can I just say I’m not impressed this new update has ruined my tv viewing via tvcatch up on the web which has a mass of internet tv channels and all I get know is sound and no vision so thanks again for this update, which is supposed to improve my multimedia experiance not ruin it.

highlander21 said:

July 1st, 1:39 pm

Why can’t we get a better way of browsing our videos and music librarys instead of an endless scroll.

trinithugz said:

July 1st, 2:36 pm

HEY PLAYSTATION! One thing that im dieing to want ONLINE PLAYSTATION NETWORK NAME CHANGER … like my name is (trinithugz) but i want it to b (TriniThugz) PLAYSTATION plz make that program and idk im givn u a lil idea but pay like to change it or not.. like 50 cents like every time u want to change it PLEASE ILL DEFINITLY buy to change n like … i BET every1 wuld buy to change their names AND NOT MAKE NEW ACCS EVERYTIME i like how u put free 2 make ur accs KEEP THAT DO NOT CHANGE IT TO PAY TO MAKE NEW ACCS… BUT i wuld like Name changer for ps3.. idk i just wanted to give u PLAYSTATION an idea Thanks..

pudljumper_ said:

July 1st, 5:05 pm

please fix the web browser

pudljumper_ said:

July 1st, 5:11 pm

fix the web browser

pudljumper_ said:

July 1st, 5:12 pm

fix remote play web browsing

pudljumper_ said:

July 1st, 5:15 pm

fix remote play it freezes all the time and there’s no way to reconnect to the ps3

PAGE 1 16 17 18 19 20