God of War

Jul 26

Jul 26

Next PS3 Firmware Update Adds PlayStation Store Recommendations

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone, the next PlayStation 3 (PS3) system software update is coming soon. Firmware update 3.41 will add recommendations for games and videos on PlayStation Store. When you’re browsing through the details of a particular title, you’ll see a new “You May Like” section on the right-hand side. This section lists additional items based on the purchases of other PlayStation Network members who have purchased the item you’re currently looking at.

You can then click on this section to zoom in on the list and scroll the recommended titles.

system software update 3.41 recommendations

This feature is a great way to discover new games that you may not know about, and it’s another step toward making the shopping experience easier and better for you all — similar to the five-star ratings feature we added in the last firmware update. Please note that while the 3.41 update will be released shortly, the recommendations feature on PlayStation Store is slated to go live by the end of July.

In addition to this PS3 update, the next PSP (PlayStation Portable) firmware update (v.6.31) will be coming as well. This is a minor update, and system software stability during use of some PSP format software titles has been improved.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

Update: For those users who are replacing the PS3 hard disk drive: We have been aware of the symptoms with the system software update 3.41, released on July 27, and that it will cause the update to stop in some occasions while replacing the PlayStation 3 (PS3) Hard Disk Drive (HDD) if the PS3 system is installed with version 3.41.

To resolve these symptoms, we have released a new version of system software update 3.41 with a very minor change (the version number does not change) on August 2nd. If you are experiencing such symptoms when replacing the HDD of your PS3 system, we kindly ask you to use the latest data and try again. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your understanding and continued support.

For any other questions, please contact your local customer service.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14

Janks01 said:

July 26th, 6:54 pm

skip the small pointless stuff for now and just give cross game chat.

NotoriousGamer said:

July 26th, 6:56 pm

wat damn lameness. dont bring this update out. hold till u add feature ppl r asking for. look https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

tosun01 said:

July 26th, 6:58 pm

Oh my… Another stupid firmware update, to include something entirely useless.
What is wrong with game demos, so I can have my own opnion about a game.
If I followed recommendations in the past, I would have bought a whole bunch of crap.
Perhaps this is what Sony wants. People buying stuff they don`t even like based on opnion of others.
I sure hope this update is not mandatory.

Steve-Beast said:

July 26th, 6:58 pm

Hi playstation team,

Habitually I encourage all kind of improvement on the PSN. But it seem that Sony become a little bite too greedy… Every update now is about selling… what’s about gaming ?

PSN+ (fine I subscribe it’s an interesting concept and I think that can help small developers to supoprt ps3)

Rating system (Ok, I mean it’s fun to have a feedback and that can help to choose when I want to BUY something)

Recommendation (Ok, when I don’t know how to spent my money that can help me to BUY something…)

What’s next ?

scan my games list and propose these games to my friend list ?

Don’t get me wrong, every improvement is good, but it seem to me that you push really hard on the sale department and forget about core functionality… Not just cross-chat (I personnaly don’t care)… But Internet browser, video compatibility, playlist option (copy a song and add to a playlist in one step), SYnchronize trophies speed, automatic download improve for psn+), Netflix, etc…

I hope to see some equilibrium in your way to improve and make the ps3 experience better. (not just the psn experience better)

Thk for reading

HeresyProgram said:

July 26th, 7:00 pm

I think we’re a little jaded. Remember, our Xboxs and PS2s and GameCubes got nothing in the way of updates.

favian said:

July 26th, 7:01 pm

Was this really that high on your priority list? There are a ton of ideas on the Share blog that should have been implemented before this. I gave up submitting ideas to Share because none of them get approved despite the fact that i am not submitting duplicates. Support is wavering.

zekececil14 said:

July 26th, 7:02 pm

Do you want us to throw our controllers at the tv? Oh wait….you would because we would buy another one!

tosun01 said:

July 26th, 7:03 pm

On the other hand, no comments about what people is really asking for. No comments about Xgame chat (not that I care about it), or auto sync trophies, or perhaps the browser stability, which keeps freezing my PS3 every 10 minutes.
I don`t know why they created the Playstation.blog Share in the first place. They don`t seem to care about what consumers are asking, and when rumors about a new firmware starts spreading, the hype grows, and then they add functions that nobody asked for, or that you make any difference at all.

Ruffday said:

July 26th, 7:04 pm

I’m sorry but it sure is annoying how people keep comparing The Psn to The other guys. It’s Playstation folks, Sony don’t do this for your convenience or pleasure. They took all that out a few updates ago. We just have to accept what they take from us and what they won’t give to us, and buy their crap

CrapForce said:

July 26th, 7:05 pm

yeah SONY we need things that we need plz listen to us it all over the BLOG SHARE AND FORUMS ( UPDATES ) PLZ!

robertmc8 said:

July 26th, 7:05 pm

How about this Updated idea. How about when you buy stuff you can tell it what time of day you want to download when you have Automatic download on for plus users? Let’s stay this game 7-10gigs and you want play game during the day but you can download game while your ps3 off at anytime? That means if you buy game and you can tell it Time you wanted download while system is offline? This be great future for me. :) Your thoughts people?

Enigma777 said:

July 26th, 7:06 pm

Lame update…

Can we get something more substantial please?

S-E-G said:

July 26th, 7:10 pm

they must be keeping all the good features for PS4

chrispen8 said:

July 26th, 7:11 pm

CROSS GAME CHAT GUYS! GET A MOVE ON!

KILLZONE79 said:

July 26th, 7:11 pm

I want this intergegerated inside PS store,

on the download list, who wants to scroll down alot of content to find what thier looking 4, i know i dont.

anyways put a search feature on the downlist screen.

VixDiesel said:

July 26th, 7:12 pm

Wow, completely useless. Couldn’t wait until there was something we wanted to send out an update?

Gonna go with others and say where’s my cross game chat??

matt103 said:

July 26th, 7:13 pm

Sony if you gave us voice messaging and cross game chat what would xbox 360 have over ps3

whitwhit said:

July 26th, 7:13 pm

and the fail of the year goes to… drumroll please!!!!!!!!…. firmware 3.41 for forcing ppl into bs recommendations.

oh_look_a_bird said:

July 26th, 7:14 pm

make cheaper official headsets… and cross game chat…..

legomygrego16 said:

July 26th, 7:15 pm

hey guys, just a question when will new demos come out? to be more specific can you release details of when the force unleashed 2 demo and the call of duty black ops demo will be coming out? thanks so much,

-Lego

LeoLeus said:

July 26th, 7:18 pm

Is this for real? You’re telling us to get exited because we’ll have more ads? Oh my god… this is awful…

Silverdemon said:

July 26th, 7:20 pm

Its been around 3.5 years already and it still hasn’t gotten across that majority wants cross game chat?

lanquan said:

July 26th, 7:23 pm

Well it’s better than nothing. They could have included it in a bigger update, but oh well. Hopefully the next update will be better.

RAEGFACE said:

July 26th, 7:23 pm

Oh update cool…
Oh, nothing needed, Guess I need to wait for a lot of small updates and maybe, JUST MAYBE, something good will come out.
Also, I don’t care for Xgame chat, I JUST WANT MY MKV PLAYABILITY.
Sony has no idea how much Mkv I have and I can’t play. My computer converts so slowly and it takes forever.
Next update: Something people want.
Do it, I DARE you Sony, See how many fans you get. Do it.
Let me see what my money goes to. LET ME SEE.

jennbill09 said:

July 26th, 7:27 pm

Finally, they added the most requested feature. Personally I don’t care about having an updated browser or anything like that.

Korlithiel said:

July 26th, 7:28 pm

While it’s good to hear that there will be a bugfix firmware update released for the PSP it’s been a long time since we’ve seen a meaningful update for PSP owners. And don’t even try and kid yourselves that anyone updated to 6.30 because they desired what was offered.

Honestly it seems like all that’s happening these past few years is the rare game release in NA and the occasional push to the side for the system and it’s features.

CASHIS_291 said:

July 26th, 7:32 pm

Hey sony.
how about getting us something use full for a change like Cross Game Chat, A faster loading in game XMB, are the ability to use mad catz arcade fightsticks and other usb controllers for ps2 games with backward compatible ps3’s

siegeh said:

July 26th, 7:34 pm

i have a question if this is downloaded, will it crash our ps3’s like the last ones.

Fenrir2606 said:

July 26th, 7:35 pm

Such a pointless update. How about actually looking at share to see what people want. Why give us a voice if you are not going to bother listening?

phinnv8 said:

July 26th, 7:35 pm

ANOTHER totally pointless mandatory update are you kidding me Sony?

Where are SIMPLE features people actually want from PlayStation Blog Share? WHY DID YOU EVER MAKE THIS PAGE????

1) Context Sensitive PS Button. This is simple and would vastly speed up messages when in a game.

2) Upgrade the Web browser to support modern code like CSS/Ajax and flash to 10.1. WebKit please.

3) Netflix built-in, they said its coming, give us a date to build hype.

The elephant in the room is cross game voice chat, something PS3 is currently almost 5 years behind on. It seems as though it’ll never come.

Finally WHATEVER happened to Castle Crashers?

I’m assuming I’ll get no reply to this as always.

spidersparlor said:

July 26th, 7:36 pm

Is this update going to fix the text input issues on non-Slim PS3s?

You know, the one that you can’t input text with a DualShock3 but need to use a keyboard instead otherwise your whole system will freeze?

Yeah, that one.

Tire_Iron said:

July 26th, 7:36 pm

I know what we can call cross game chat. Let’s call it vaporware.

Ma1nframe said:

July 26th, 7:36 pm

wtf thats it?

johnyjet said:

July 26th, 7:36 pm

Oh yeah can’t wait =]

vdelagneau93 said:

July 26th, 7:38 pm

2morrow’s tuesday, that means am checking PS+ tomorrow, + tomorrow is my birthday :D…. cant wait XD

Fenrir2606 said:

July 26th, 7:39 pm

I don’t even look at the top 10 and staff picks, really who does? What makes Sony think we need another useless addition to the store? I swear their team is made up of the same monkeys that sit in front of keyboards eventually writing a novel.

modchipz said:

July 26th, 7:39 pm

minor update…if you dont update to this firmware,i think u cannot access PSHome., what if the user don’t want to update and wants to access PSHome.

alibulali said:

July 26th, 7:40 pm

this is silly, recommmendations are not going to improve my ps experience. how about some of the top hits from blog.share??

waste of an update IMO

Permafry_42 said:

July 26th, 7:41 pm

WE NEED A WISH LIST FEATURE!!!

EmperorLawlight said:

July 26th, 7:41 pm

Did we need that update now? I’m sure the development team can be more productive.

x_IQ_x said:

July 26th, 7:43 pm

How about giving us back the ability to listen to music on our HDD while we do other things on the XMB. I was really slighted when I found out this was taken from us a couple updates back.

K3ViNPwNz- said:

July 26th, 7:43 pm

How about You guys stop wasting your time updating the ps store and give us features we want from ps blog.

Sony You FAIL!nuff said

dojikyo said:

July 26th, 7:47 pm

Kind of disappointed. A recommendation system is nice and all, but I would have updating Flash, improved xmb times, and of course, the elephant in the room, cross game voice chat/party.

TJ-Max said:

July 26th, 7:53 pm

Why is a system update needed for a store update?

almighty-slayer said:

July 26th, 7:53 pm

Lots of whiners here.

Just to point out to you: These updates are free. You pay nothing and you get something out of it. If you go into a food shop and they give you a free saussage if you buy a bag of potatoes, do you complain because it isn’t a leg of lamb? No, because it’s free.

Now crawl off back into the hole you came out of

karatekid2 said:

July 26th, 7:57 pm

I hope Sony releases a BIG PSP update soon… eh… i guess SOMETHING is better than nothing….

SHINSPIKES said:

July 26th, 7:58 pm

I think sony should make a blog share section on this blog so we can share what we really want for our ps3s. Oh wait, we have one? No way? But nothing on there is being implemented. Oh, I get it. All the stuff in blog share are recommendations for the Xbox 360. Good thing that console has most of the stuff put in already. We should come up with more new good stuff we want on that console.

KazeEternal said:

July 26th, 8:00 pm

soon soon, Netflix app.

SHINSPIKES said:

July 26th, 8:02 pm

@181

Guess you don’t pay for console or playstation games or peripherals huh? Yeah we shouldn’t whine, we don’t pay for absolutely nothing on this console. Its all free!!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 14