God of War

Aug 23

Aug 23

Superstars V8 Racing: Coming to the PlayStation Network

Greg Lanz's Avatar Posted by General Manager, O-Games

As the publisher for Superstars V8 Racing, we are excited to bring such a robust game to PlayStation Network. Over the past few years we have watched the digital marketplace grow. As many publishers and developers launched digital products on the PSN platform, O-Games made a strategic decision to hold off until we had the perfect product.

Superstars V8 Racing is one of most robust, deep and graphically rich racing games on PSN, and at $19.99 it’s going to be difficult for anyone to find a better bargain; Superstars V8 Racing is a full retail game packaged for PlayStation Network. Dozens of official circuit tracks, head-to-head online play with up to seven other players, and big name brand cars make this a great racing game.

Why did we drop the retail disc, and go digital on the PSN?

A little over six months ago, we had aspirations to take Superstars V8 Racing to the retail channel. We took the title on tour to the major North American retailers and tried to find a market for the game. The retailers really enjoyed the title, it simply came down to limited shelf space at each location and trying to slot the game between other titles being released. O-Games had a critical decision to make; we could wait for the retailers to have room for our game, or we could take the exact same game and place it on PlayStation Network.

Once we decided to take the full version game and place it on the PSN store, we began to realize that many of the costs associated with taking the product to retail no longer applied. We no longer had to account for manufacturing discs, packaging, shipping, returns, retail marketing and other costs. So, here we were with a $39.99 retail game which was getting less expensive for us to ship to the consumer, and ultimately we decided to pass the savings on to gamers.

As you play Superstars V8 Racing, keep in mind that you are playing a game that was planned for a $39.99 retail launch but given to you for $19.99. Sometimes consumers do win!

Now off to the races….

Add Your Own

KingDubin said:

August 23rd, 6:15 am

Is There going to be DLC for this game?

Thanks!

KingDubin said:

August 23rd, 6:15 am

Oh, and when It’s going to come out? I didn’t see it up there.

crowsticky1234 said:

August 23rd, 6:23 am

How many tracks and cars are in this game?

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 23rd, 6:30 am

Hey jeff, i submitted that question to support about emulation issues with PSone classics such as Resident evil 3 and they told me to submit an idea which i had already done before, it seems they misunderstood me, can u please help if possible, thank u.

CDubyahS said:

August 23rd, 6:31 am

looks good I dream of V8 FORD racing teams

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 23rd, 6:32 am

I’m trying to get comments submitted but it keeps saying “awaiting moderation”, these are important and I need them to be read by someone that works for Sony, what do I do?

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 23rd, 6:32 am

The oomments are related to emulation issues with PSone classics which I think you helped me with but it didn’t work out.

Bleedthesky78 said:

August 23rd, 6:35 am

I’ve been waiting for this game, since I can’t import it anymore!

Daz_Genetic said:

August 23rd, 6:37 am

Will this game fully support Racing Wheels? And by fully, I mean 900 degree steering, gated shifter, and clutch support.

wodm said:

August 23rd, 6:43 am

How much in the UK? £15?

SkyNet003 said:

August 23rd, 6:44 am

“Sometimes consumers do win!”

I’ll wait for the reviews to decide if that’s true…

rjejr said:

August 23rd, 6:55 am

Can you pretty please explain your $39.99 retail to $19.99 online reasoning to Sony regarding their PSPgo releases because they don’t seem to understand how much cheaper it is to go digital from retail.

Kenshin71 said:

August 23rd, 7:03 am

@Skynet003, game is on 67 on Metacritic. Might be OK for the price but I’d want to try a demo.

BRIT-KO said:

August 23rd, 7:04 am

Isn’t this due out on the 360 too, for $39.99, its not an exclusive is it?

I’m not sure about this one, I already have Wipeout & MNR, another racing game with so so reviews isn’t really on top of my list right now.

FishFingers said:

August 23rd, 7:16 am

Interesting, but a sequel to this game called “Superstars V8 Next Challenge” is already on sale in Europe. The original game lacks licences for many of the cars in the Superstars series (including Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler) but these were all present in the sequel.

Wil Superstars V8 Next Challenge be coming to PSN?

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 23rd, 7:22 am

@6 forget what i said. the comments finally came through for once. but please if possible, read the other comments i made, there important to all us gamers.

Eule_Colla said:

August 23rd, 7:24 am

Great move!!! We really appreciate it…

shark301 said:

August 23rd, 7:35 am

Sold! This is a day one buy for me, great pricing and great looking game. That video is really terrible tho. I found other videos via google that show epic interior camera views, weather, garage, and fantastic engine sounds.

So to everyone who looks at that video and thinks ‘meh’, I thought the same thing but the game itself looks much better than that.

The wet weather is very cool, you are missing out by not trumpeting that feature (and the interior camera view).

DZORMAGEN said:

August 23rd, 8:39 am

LOL, why would this come out now, when Gran Turismo 5 is just around the corner?

Majin47 said:

August 23rd, 8:47 am

Demo.

If you’re going to ask $20 for a PSN title, there NEEDS to be a demo.

Besides, like Dzormagen said, it is a bit pointless to put this out anywhere near GT5. Might be pointless to put it out after or even before.

XxSHIROYASHAxX said:

August 23rd, 8:58 am

@Majin47 I don’t think it’s pointless. Not everyone likes GT. I’m one of those people that never liked GT. And I tryed on PSone and PS2, but never liked it, and I’m not awaiting for it. So, a good racing game for that price will be really nice for me and others, I think.
And, a demo wouldn’t hurt anyone =)

F-minus said:

August 23rd, 9:04 am

@6 & 7
Here is not the place for stuff like that, try Cust. Support or something… but the blog is not the place to get help with that kind of issue… They moderate your suggestion to avoid having 3 million of the same topic

@ 20
They dont HAVE to do anything, demos also take away time and resources from making the main game…You dont always get to try before you buy in this world… take a risk, live alittle.

Shinmigami said:

August 23rd, 9:14 am

I was planning on getting GT5, so I dont know about this game. However, if I try it and love it I would buy it for sure. So, please make a demo.

johnnyblades said:

August 23rd, 9:33 am

Cool idea but bad timing. I think this is sent to die with GT5 releasing shortly after. GT5 is a game synonymous with the Playstation brand and people have been waiting since 2005 for the next game.

I am not saying anything bad about the product, just the timing.

shark301 said:

August 23rd, 9:37 am

I think this is a smart time to release this game, as there are two months to play it while waiting for my GT5 special edition preorder to arrive.

Nedley_Mandingo said:

August 23rd, 10:10 am

In other words…. We knew if we released this on a disc, it would just sit on retailers shelfs and take up space. So we figured we would get all you suckers with your mom and dads credit cards to buy it off of the playstation network.

T3mpr1x said:

August 23rd, 10:21 am

Holy crap that is a LOT of motion blur.

pudgenet said:

August 23rd, 10:33 am

I reiterate the question about the wheel.

pgsdi said:

August 23rd, 12:00 pm

with F1 2010 and GT5 right around the corner I cannot justify a $40 price for a TOCA style arcade racer… a bit too late…. bad timing

ForgetfuI said:

August 23rd, 12:49 pm

Coming in October, eh? Sorry, too close to GT5, even at $20.

\___T___/ <— That's the boat you missed.

VincentVendetta said:

August 23rd, 2:15 pm

OUCH! My ears! The volume was at maximum, dammit!

OddyOh said:

August 23rd, 3:31 pm

Tough to blind buy a racing game…I’ll wait for a sale or demo. Demos have saved me buying Modnation Racers, and sold me on Burnout Paradise. I’m not a GT guy either, but new Need For Speed could be good, since they finally ditched the street racing garbage.

Midgetguy said:

August 23rd, 5:14 pm

Will this have a platinum trophy? At $20, with a platinum trophy, amazing graphics, and fun gameplay… this could be a future purchase!

FeistFan said:

August 23rd, 8:08 pm

Looks interesting — like others said, I’d like to see a demo. $20 sounds like a great deal, but I’m more of an arcade racing guy (more interested in NFS Hot Pursuit than Gran Turismo). That said, your price point beats them both — but your release date will definitely be a challenge, given the competition.

Good luck! I think there’s room for a lot more racing games on the PS3, if they’re well executed and more than just something that looks pretty.

kn00tcn said:

August 24th, 2:35 pm

so only 1 person (fishfingers) noticed that this is the first game that was on pc over a year ago, & has an improved sequel months ago

NorthernLitez said:

August 24th, 2:55 pm

Great intro price for the game.

MastrGT said:

August 26th, 12:16 am

I ordered this from the UK at full price and have half of its Trophies. I should be able to complete it by the time it gets released here.

At $20, you are getting a good deal. While it is no GT and it does have a few annoying problems (mainly the large steering deadzone and menu problems), you are getting a half decent sim.

If nothing else, buy it for the tracks.

SILENTJ34 said:

August 29th, 6:40 am

Does it have custom soundtracks. Every racing game should.