God of War

Sep 08

Sep 08

Coming to PlayStation Plus: Zen Pinball, Early Access to Swords & Soldiers, and Red Faction Battlegrounds Beta Access

Grace Chen's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PlayStation Plus

Hi everyone,

As we said in our last preview post, there will now be a two week heads up for the exciting content coming to PlayStation Plus subscribers. With that said, let’s get into our packed update for September 21.

PlayStation Plus - Swords & Soldiers

PlayStation Japanese Imports

Our next update is one of our biggest since the launch of PlayStation Plus back in June. Starting off with free games, we have Zen Pinball, Echoes – minis, and Syphon Filter 3. There is also a 50% off sale for Cuboid. After picking up the game, be sure to check out the TikGames-Creat Studios page to grab the DLC for free. Also, we have early access to Sword & Soldiers, an award-winning 2D RTS by Ronimo Games. Finally, a select number of PlayStation Plus subscribers will be returning to Mars for some vehicular combat in the Red Faction Battlegrounds beta. Select users will be notified via an XMB message and email.

Also, a quick friendly reminder to check out some previous content, such as Mushroom Wars, VEMPIRES – minis, and the discount for the Soldner-X: Himmelstrummer and Soldner-X2: Final Prototype Bundle, before it is taken down on September 21.

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Our limited time introductory offer is still available. Get three additional bonus months free when you buy a 1-year package for $49.99. You can find all the details here.

PlayStation Plus Highlight for 9/21:

Free Games
Zen Pinball
Echoes – minis
Syphon Filter 3 – PS One

Early Access Game and Demo
Sword & Soldiers

Free Game Add-on
High Velocity Bowling – Move Compatibility Add-On

Free Themes
Shades of Autumn Theme

Discounts
Cuboid (50%)
Savage Moon (50%)
LittleBigPlanet: Monster Costume Pack (50%)

Discounted PS One Games

2Xtreme
VEMPIRES – minis

Discount Offers to PlayStation Plus Subscribers

Add Your Own

rollotomozi said:

September 9th, 9:50 am

how many Shills are there on this Blog?

radrider82 said:

September 9th, 9:50 am

I still haven’t found justification for the $50 I wasted on Playstation + :(

SNAKE-EYES73 said:

September 9th, 10:00 am

PlayStation plus is for rich fan-boy’s and those games your advertising came out years ago lol pretty sad that Sony can’t come out with better games then this! CHARGE NETWORK WOULD BE BETTER THEN THE WAY YOUR GOING SCEA! Black-light Tango Down is exclusive to XBL you fool! Where is your MP3 Store with Music video’s Sony! XBL has all those feature’s! This is why your advertising the truth “It only does everything?” Bull$hit!.
That’s false advertising Sony!

TwinDad said:

September 9th, 10:01 am

Two weeks notice is nice, thank you.

I need to get those themes and what not from this weeks PS+.

SNAKE-EYES73 said:

September 9th, 10:08 am

those games Soldner-X2: Final Prototype – 30% Off (PlayStation Plus price $9.09, regular price $12.99)
Soldner-X: Himmelstrummer & Soldner-X2: Final Prototype Bundle (PlayStation Plus price $10.79, regular price $17.99) None of then support custom sound tracks and to think there space shoot em ups! you suck ^ss Sony! This is why PSN is going to hell!
CUSTOM SOUND TRACKS CAN BE USED IN THESE GAMES BUT SONY’S TO DAMN LAZY TO DO IT! I HAVE OVER 300 MP3’s AND I STILL CAN’T USE THEM IN GAME’S LIKE THIS! Some yes but most don’t work! Also Rockstar you lazy bastards! GTA4 where is Custom Sound track’s for that game! Red Dead Redemption has it why not GTA4! Also XBL has them in all there game’s and no there not exclusive the PSN could have this as well but Sony doesn’t care! This is why the PSN is so boring! I have over 50 games and most don’t support custom sound tracks what a slap to the face from Sony!..

PsychoCanadian said:

September 9th, 10:11 am

I thought plus wasn’t supposed to push things ive already downloaded. I tryed the joe danger demo weeks ago and deleted it. Now its on my system again? “Step your game up” sony.

AnthonyTonyMagic said:

September 9th, 10:22 am

Will imports be imported to all regions, or just US?

The Plus updates are looking good. My games collection is building up nicely.

Thanks for the info, Grace

AnthonyTonyMagic said:

September 9th, 10:32 am

I was thinking, wouldn’t it be great if Plus members could directly access the PS Stores of other regions?

Even if it was just for PS One Classics or Minis, I still think people would appreciate the access.

I’m sure there’s a lot of people, Japanese and Americans, in the USA who’d happily pay the Plus subscription if it would make it easier to access original Japanese games

sweetadiccion said:

September 9th, 10:35 am

this update sucks i still haven’t found a good reason to buy a plus subs.

acelove69 said:

September 9th, 10:40 am

thanks for this i have bin waiting for a good update i think i will enjoy this update more than any one so far this surtanly will end any complaints i might have had about plus

sweetadiccion said:

September 9th, 10:40 am

this update sucks i still haven’t found a good reason to buy a plus subs. the only two games that i like i already have them for over a year.

JonJonXD said:

September 9th, 10:42 am

The Swords and Soldiers thing seems awesome. I’ve already bought zen pinball which is a downer.

It urks me that only a select number of PSN+ members will get into the beta…I understand beta needs and what not, but why can’t we all just get into it? There can’t possibly be that many people that got PSN+.

Nahela said:

September 9th, 10:59 am

Looks like a pretty solid update. Anybody complaining about not getting their money’s worth is out of their minds. Even if you don’t like Qore or only enjoy a couple different game genres you’ve likely already gotten your money’s worth out of PS+. The only issue is really for people that happened to already buy the free games being offered.

Imports is an awesome idea and something I hope we see more of.

As a side note, wouldn’t mind seeing the original NA version Jade Cocoon go up as a PS1 classic sometime. :P

BinaryJay said:

September 9th, 11:09 am

I’m still feeling burned about not getting the same kind of above average content EU has got lately, namely the entire Sam & Max series. Seems like instead of full games, we’ve been getting fed a lot of DLC for old games few of us own or even plan to own.

Mushroom Wars was the only PSN game offered so far that I didn’t already have and even that is a pretty old title. :(

Bring us Sam & Max please.

snake4308 said:

September 9th, 11:11 am

thank grace!

ViolentPhlegm said:

September 9th, 11:16 am

Sooo… Looked up a couple videos of Cho Aniki…

What the… ?!!

BeerManMike said:

September 9th, 11:20 am

Thanks for making the S&S demo early for PSN+ subs, I will now boycott the game and download the demo so i can rate it a 1 and then delete it. Demos aren’t rewards for paying customers, they’re marketing tools for potential customers.

musicman1234 said:

September 9th, 11:32 am

Maybe Sony NA will realize the percentage of users who use Home and plus are greater than only plus subscribers alone.
In other words…Home users want it all.The whole PS experience.

I want more Dynamic Themes and Avatars.
I am a Home user that has went to Qore…Trying to get it all but was not getting what I want from Plus.

ViolentPhlegm said:

September 9th, 11:57 am

@musicman1234: Don’t really understand what you’re saying. Have Qore subscribers received anything that Plus subscribers haven’t other than this month’s Warhawk PSOne game? I’m not completey certain because my Plus and Qore subscriptions overlapped until this month, but I thought the only subscriber-only Qore item has been that game. And I guess High Velocity Bowling from last year’s subscription.

phinnv8 said:

September 9th, 12:09 pm

PlayStation Plus: The service that makes Xbox Live look like an incredible deal.

that-acmilan-guy said:

September 9th, 12:09 pm

a good update, looking forward to zen ball.

wanderer55 said:

September 9th, 12:34 pm

Looks better then this week PS+ update. Swords and Soldiers is coming to PSN? Nice, I used to play that on my Wii and I did have some fun with it so I probably try this early acess for this version. And PS1 imports?

XadRonin said:

September 9th, 1:15 pm

Dear Grace Chen,

The Only thing I would love to find out is…. When is Shadow of the Colossus coming to the Playstation Store??

ProjectInfiniti said:

September 9th, 1:36 pm

Import Ori-No Ryouri! Import Ori-No Ryouri! Import Ori-No Ryouri!

Make it happen Sony! :D

ViolentPhlegm said:

September 9th, 2:09 pm

Ahh… goofed in “My 154 cents”. I read Sword & Soldiers as being the beta; instead it’s early access to the demo and the game. That’s kind of useless to me and the beta suddenly became less interesting, too. Also, think I’ll pass on Cho Aniki based on videos I’ve seen. Seems to be more about questionable humour than gameplay. It really depends on the price, I probably wouldn’t take either of the imports unless the discount is decent (like 50%, not 20%).

So to re-summarize: My 154 cents gets me a $3.98 (258%) return excluding theme, HVB add-on, avatars, possible beta and possibly one PSOne import discount. Pleased. Just a little less so than before.

tha_con said:

September 9th, 2:18 pm

Man, there are some whiny children here, huh?

Seriously, are you kids crying because you can’t get access to a beta you probably don’t even care about (or won’t help improve?). The number of you who will just play it and then forget about it is probably staggering. Personally I don’t think anyone on + Should get it, it should be limited to the folks they can see play games and will offer valued opinions and thoughts.

deibu77 said:

September 9th, 2:51 pm

Much better PS+ this time around! I’m sure there will still be whiners expecting to recoup their $50 in a single month’s content, but hopefully fewer of them after this update. I’ve never tried Zen Pinball, but it got good reviews, so I can’t wait to pick that up.

Thanks!

Heatseeker125 said:

September 9th, 3:44 pm

Most betas say there is limited space but I’ve found that there is usually more than enough for everyone. lol. Unless you’re like 3-4 days late to sign up and secure your spot, then you deserve not to get in.

Hammerjamer said:

September 9th, 5:14 pm

What no cross game chat, some cheesy avatars. It is real sad that Playstation was the first to come out with a great gaming console. Microsoft is on its second one and I feel that it is surpassing the ps3. Fifty bucks a year and for what get discounts on some games. Sony you guys have got to straighten up. You add some better online features and I will be glad to buy playstation plus.

ShadowDoGGG said:

September 9th, 5:33 pm

That is absolutely ridiculous about beta and also where is EU beta… we haven’t had anything like this yet.

GoldenArm90 said:

September 9th, 7:01 pm

Where are the “monthly dynamic themes and premium avatars” we were promised on the 6/24 blog about PlayStation Plus? We got nothing in August and so far only 1 in September.

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

September 9th, 7:03 pm

Free Game Add-on
High Velocity Bowling – Move Compatibility Add-On???
You CANT make us pay for it ANYWAY… Or now do we have to pay for the “new” MOVE controller compatibility add-on for each games?
I really don’t get it.

El_Hoardo said:

September 9th, 7:20 pm

I’m pretty happy with Zen Pinball. I already had Wipeout and a bug-eating puzzle game and mushroom based realtime strategy game just don’t appeal to me. Everyone likes pinball though. I really think Plus games should be selected with a broad audience in mind. Zen Pinball will be the first PSN game from Plus that I actually play.

I’m disappointed with Syphon Filter though. We got the first Syphon Filter two months ago. I really think you should have chosen something else for that reason. If someone didn’t like SF in month 2, they aren’t going to like it in month 4.

The High Velocity Bowling DLC is disappointing as well. I really think that should be free to everyone who owns the game. In addition, it’s a piece of DLC that only matters if we have both High Velocity Bowling and a PS Move. Now, if you are planning another more substantial piece of DLC, then you can ignore my complaint, but if this is all we are getting for DLC this month, I’m disappointed.

PZEV said:

September 9th, 7:32 pm

Good idea with the two weeks heads up. I agree with the other commenter that a year-heads up would be EVEN better! Echoes looks cool and i’ll be curious to try pinball.

freddyrivas said:

September 9th, 10:33 pm

i tried the zen pinball demo and didnt really enjoy it i dont know if im missing something because a lot of people like this game maybe the whole game will be better cant complain

freddyrivas said:

September 9th, 10:37 pm

will the add on tables for zen pinball be discounted?

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

September 10th, 8:40 am

I like the Syphon Filter 3 choice (hope you give us 2 as well) but I already own Pinball :(

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

September 10th, 8:44 am

Oh yeah, whoever decided to make Vempires one of our monthly games isn’t invited to my birthday party.

R_E_A_P_E_R_9_6 said:

September 10th, 9:57 am

Will the people that got PS+ earlier than others, have a higher chance to get the beta access to the Red Faction Battle Grounds Beta?

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

September 10th, 1:28 pm

@R_E_A_P_E_R_9_6
you need to register your playstation 3 serial number product, if you really want to be part of the selected beta testers.

R_E_A_P_E_R_9_6 said:

September 10th, 3:59 pm

@Cyb3rfr34k-iso
HOw do i register my PS3 Serial Number Product?

Qmoney88 said:

September 11th, 8:34 am

I bought playstation plus day one, owned a ps3 since launch. I better get in this beta or else…

AlexHo1982 said:

September 12th, 2:04 pm

This is by far the best PS+ update since the very first one. With those 3 games I am already happy and don’t care for the rest of the bonus stuff.
Keep the good work up – especially this more transparent information policy! :)

TOOFDOGG said:

September 12th, 8:20 pm

will movies be discounted for plus members

Thrill_Kill said:

September 12th, 11:48 pm

I wish you would give us some PSOne games that rocked like the Final Fantasy series, or Silent Hill.

At least have Sony fix the PS3 to play the original PSOne Silent Hill disc without having a soundfx issue with the handgun. I would love to see Sony fix that in an update one day!

arneezy619 said:

September 13th, 3:41 am

be nice if the imports would support some sort of translation thingy you know what im saying

arneezy619 said:

September 13th, 3:42 am

another note imports oh man

PZEV said:

September 13th, 4:15 pm

does this mean there will be absolutely nothing in between the bi weekly updates for PLUS? Sept. 14 will see nothing added for the PLUS, not even a theme, discount, or avatar?

guyminsberghe said:

September 15th, 4:19 pm

Hi I really need an answer :

import games offered is really really great! Thanx Sony for that, but I’m a psp owner, so I don’t have a Plus account, so will I have the possibility of buying them?

Thanx for your answer

Aikidou said:

September 20th, 3:47 am

Was anyone even paying attention at Sony when someone thought it was a GOOD idea to put Cho Aniki on the download list?