Marvel's Spider-Man

Sep 09

Sep 09

PlayStation: 15 Years In The Making…

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Senior Social Media Specialist

Today we celebrate 15 Years of PlayStation, the gaming industry and most importantly, the PlayStation fan. It is an honor to officially kick off our celebration on the PlayStation.Blog with a retrospective journey and history lesson 15 years in the making.

The PlayStation, the PlayStation 2, the PlayStation Portable, the PlayStation 3 — these aren’t just names to Sony gaming products — these are milestones in every gamers’ coming of age story. Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Killzone and God of War, aren’t just clever titles to PlayStation classics — but defining moments in gaming history where PlayStation stands above the rest, delivering memorable experiences and jaw-dropping moments.

PlayStation 15: PlayStationPlayStation 15: PlayStation 2

Sitting at PlayStation and being part of this amazing journey as a gamer and now working with the PlayStation team, I can’t help but recollect my first encounter with Metal Gear Solid. Within moments of popping in my PlayStation Underground disc, and booting the MGS demo — I knew right there and then what I wanted to do with my life. I must have shredded through several layers of protective coating on the PlayStation disc, playing the MGS demo over and over, patiently waiting for Hideo Kojima’s classic. If I can define my favorite PlayStation moment in two words, it would be: Pyscho Mantis.

PlayStation 15: PlayStation PortablePlayStation 15: PlayStation 3

Where were you on September 9th, 1995?

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4

chaoszero14 said:

September 9th, 4:04 pm

Happy 15th PlayStation!

Carl-G said:

September 9th, 4:04 pm

I can’t wait for the next 15 years! :D

The PlayStation brand is the best. Always has been, and always will be;)

PuppetShoJustice said:

September 9th, 4:04 pm

Final Fantasy IIV?

Someone doesn’t grasp roman numerals…

Stoffinator said:

September 9th, 4:09 pm

Would you guys happen to have those pictures in bigger res? I would love to use them as wallpapers on my PC and PS3.

PuppetShoJustice said:

September 9th, 4:09 pm

I see you ninja-edited it to actually say FFVII. Well done.

September 9th, 5:02 pm

Don’t mess with Ninja editing skills.

forzanerazzurri said:

September 9th, 4:09 pm

That video gave me chills. Sony you rule.

poodude said:

September 9th, 4:10 pm

I love the PSOne, it will always be my favourite console of all time. Hell, if it weren’t for the Crash Bandicoot franchise I probably wouldn’t even be that much of a gamer today, happy 15th Playstation, I can’t wait to see what Sony has in store for us next!

September 9th, 5:03 pm

I hear yah. If it wasn’t for Metal Gear Solid, I’d be lost.

NoobHunter91 said:

September 9th, 4:11 pm

THIS IS PLAYSTATION!!!!!!

CaruthK said:

September 9th, 4:11 pm

Wow i’ve been gaming on Playstation for this long wow… Does not feel like 15 years.

LR_Se7eN said:

September 9th, 4:11 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

heatseeker said:

September 9th, 4:11 pm

man that start up sound of the ps1 sure brought back some good memories! with some nostalgia :P

JumpMan33 said:

September 9th, 4:13 pm

Dang! I can’t believe its been 15 years!
Happy Birthday PlayStation, Here’s to another great 15 years!

ArchAngelMai said:

September 9th, 4:15 pm

I saw Folklore, Woot, of all the PS3 titles! Waiting for the Playstation 7 to launch 30 years from now, I will still be here, buying and loving!

JesseHaysFL said:

September 9th, 4:15 pm

MG series, Ace Combat series, Madden (on ps2), Black, I.Q. (ps1), FF7, FF8, Ergheiz, The One, Lunar, Gran Turismo series, Crash Bandicoot, Spawn (ps1), Battlefield modern combat, Killzone, God of war, resident evil, Parasite eve, Xenogears, SSX tricky & soo many more. Happy fifteenth PlayStation.

Paranoimia said:

September 9th, 4:15 pm

Not quite there yet for me, as I’m in the UK… but what a 15 years it’s been!

JesseHaysFL said:

September 9th, 4:16 pm

Oh and will we ever get I.Q. on our ps3?

Sophronia said:

September 9th, 4:18 pm

Sony Rocks! – Happy 15th! ^_^

Airwalkinman17 said:

September 9th, 4:18 pm

What an incredible legacy!
So glad to have been there from the start. It’s been awesome.

Shinogu126 said:

September 9th, 4:18 pm

September 9, 1995… I’m pretty sure I was in school. 6 years old… I was in first grade I think. My relatives were the ones who had a PlayStation at their place, so it was always awesome anticipating going over to their house and play various demos or whatnot. It wasn’t 5 more years until I had our own PlayStation at my house, though it was a birthday present for sis. My other sis got a PS2 for her birthday, and it took me getting a job and making my own money to get a PS3. Happy 15, PlayStation. Stick around, ey?

September 9th, 5:04 pm

Work Hard, Play Hard.

deathmill3001 said:

September 9th, 4:18 pm

possible asleep since i was just 2 years old but i still remember the day i first got a Playstation. December 25th, 1998. With Rayman. Days later i received Crash Bandicoot. Best Christmas ever!

September 9th, 5:05 pm

Nice. These stories are great. Keep them coming!

Dragonzblaze said:

September 9th, 4:18 pm

playstation rules all love the playstation brand cant wait for my 320 gig ps3 ps move bundle next week ty and keep it going sony

joseph2411 said:

September 9th, 4:21 pm

What an awesome video, i hope its available to download from PSN.
Congrats on your 15th anniversary and thank you for so many great games and experiences!

September 9th, 5:05 pm

Yep. This video will be up on PSN and Youtube as well.

VooDoo_94 said:

September 9th, 4:24 pm

Happy Birthday Sony, 15 fantastic years and more 15 to come! ;)

Thanks for Everything you did to us.
Playstation is and always be my game-console of choice, never let me down, and i’m grateful for that.

Thank you Sony.
Thank you Playsation.

ChiTownWild100s said:

September 9th, 4:25 pm

I got my first ps a month after the original came out and iv been along for the ride ever since. Congrats sony and here’s to another 15 wonderful years to come.

September 9th, 5:06 pm

What was your first title?

poodude said:

September 9th, 4:26 pm

I also just want to say that the Playstation brand has given me really great memories over the years, there are many games I couldn’t imagaine not having. So really, I just want to say thanks Sony, for being able to make a console that put a smile on my face when I was sad, or helping me to feel better when I’m sick. I’m not a fanboy, Microsoft and Nintendo put out great products too, but you’ll always be number one in my book. Even if the people working at Sony just care about my money (and I’m not saying you do, but hey a coporation needs money to survive right?) you guys will always be the first console I choose. Keep making great games and great hardware, and I hope you’ll always be around in the console business. Happy 15th Playstation :).

Spinout209 said:

September 9th, 4:27 pm

Happy Birthday Sony Playstation, without you guys I don’t know what I’d be doing on in my free time. Playstation being 15 years old seems so weird. Time flies when you are owning people on your favorite video games :D

DarthMoose1986 said:

September 9th, 4:27 pm

This brought tears of gamingness to my eyes, and yes I just made up that would, giggady.

Floyz said:

September 9th, 4:29 pm

I think the 15th anniversary logo would make an excellent shirt! Any plans for that sony?

September 9th, 5:07 pm

You’re right! I’m sure someone is making this happen. (I hope)

Hachetboy said:

September 9th, 4:30 pm

that playstaion 1 noise brings back so many memoreis… still have the system to and it works…. i remember when i used to play with my dad before he died when i was 3 years old….. i played that system for years… never got a ps2, i stopped playing it once i got ps3 but always kept it and never did anything to it, just put it away in its case with all its stuff and i have it as a memory from my past.

Zezzler said:

September 9th, 4:30 pm

Congratulations Sony and PlayStation. you have impacted millions of lives around the world, and continue to. Because of that, I thank you, and hope for so much more in the ongoing, many, many years!

PlayStation FTW!

oycomics said:

September 9th, 4:31 pm

“Where were you on September 9th, 1995?”

In my room, playing on my totally rad SEGA Genesis. I would unfortunately not join the PlayStation world until this last winter when I finally got a PS3. Wish I could go back in time and hop on the bandwagon a lot sooner. Thank goodness for PSOne Classics!

Congrats on 15 years, PlayStation!

September 9th, 5:08 pm

Welcome to the PlayStation family. Enjoy your stay.

loadstone007 said:

September 9th, 4:32 pm

Truly exciting.
I’ve been an avid fan of the PS brand since the PS3, and now I can’t imagine my life without it. I will continue to support it, especially if there will be a PS Phone.

So thank you, Sony.

DrFMA said:

September 9th, 4:38 pm

We are Sony, we love PlayStation! For more and more and even more 15 Years!

ChiTownWild100s said:

September 9th, 4:41 pm

My fav memory of the psone hands down is when i was in 7th grade. Me and about 4 of my friends had a competetion over who could finish ff7 the quickest lol. I lost the $5 bet as i took half a semester to beat the game but damn if it wasn’t soo much fun.

Great times indeed!!!! Thanks sony

digitalman123 said:

September 9th, 4:41 pm

Happy Birthday Playstation! God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and more! PS Love!

KILLZONE79 said:

September 9th, 4:41 pm

Upload this video on PlayStation store in HD

I’ve been a playstation fan for long time, ive owned PlayStation 1, PS2, PSP, PS3, Soon PlayStation Move. Sony my hats off too, ive been your biggest fan :) PlayStation Brand Rules!

Shergil2 said:

September 9th, 4:47 pm

Playstation all the way every day

Happy Birthday.

Blkant said:

September 9th, 4:49 pm

I still have my very first PS too, old fat and grey, but still works, though it spends its time sitting with my other classic systems. Good times, good memories, though it’s a shame to see so many of the great games of that time on the PS not continue through to today. I.E. Medievil. Oh well, they live not in sequels but in spirit I suppose :P

September 9th, 5:09 pm

Hold onto your PlayStation, it’s NEVER too old, fat and grey.

TwinDad said:

September 9th, 4:50 pm

Awesome video Rey.

September 9th, 5:10 pm

Ha, I can’t take credit for this one. Our amazing internal video team put this one together. Cheers to them and their hard work. I’m working on a separate video, stay tuned!

perrandy said:

September 9th, 4:51 pm

first of all, at that time i was a sega genesis fan. but, i used to watch my younger brother play all those jrpgs.i must confess that i wasnt in to them very much by them. but, later got hooked on them via osmosis XD

anyways, i became a fan later on ps2 playing mostly jrpgs such as growlancer, la pucelle,the atelier and disgaea series etc etc

later,on the ps3 my first launch game was madden and my first blu-ray was talladega nights (the movie came free with the system)i remember that i was the number 5 of my local gamestop because there was a shortage of 60gb’s that launch day nov 17,2006

i even recalled that the gamestop guy saw me at the door when he was coming to open its door and allowed me to pick up my pre-ordered ps3

sadly, two years and a half years later my ps3 hit the bucket.but fortunately got a slim in time by christmas of last year XD

Blkant said:

September 9th, 4:51 pm

God those start up tones for the PS and PS2 are nostalgic :P

AgentX said:

September 9th, 4:52 pm

Well, Rey, if you want me to answer your question, where was I on 9/9/95…

I was enjoying my brand new PlayStation system that day! :)

15 years later, and I’m still rollin’ with the PlayStation family.

Congratulations!

September 9th, 5:12 pm

Right on dude. What was your first title?

DDavidian said:

September 9th, 4:53 pm

Happy birthday PlayStation! It’s been 15 fun years.

I’ve been a loyal fan of the PS family all these year, I never got any gaming platform that wasn’t Playstation. I just wish I could’ve gotten the Playstation Pocket.

hcmdlive said:

September 9th, 4:53 pm

i was born on September 24, 1995. I was not even born by then

September 9th, 5:13 pm

I would’ve demanded my PlayStation — the moment I stepped outside the hospital. (Using baby hand gestures.)

SupaFanboy said:

September 9th, 4:55 pm

one question:

why are there 2 rubber ducks in the logo?

narwhalSTAB said:

September 9th, 4:56 pm

I used to play a lot of Nintendo and SEGA Genesis….until the Playstation came out. Since then I’ve owned every PS console and been given countless hours of enjoyment.

Triangle, Circle, X, Square.

Skeith_1911 said:

September 9th, 5:00 pm

Absolutely great!

I had PSOne, PS2, and now I’ve got a PS3 slim, I even have a Sony Bravia LCD TV.
Those start up tones brought me memories too, but the best memories…
Sony & PlayStation Forever! :D

Thrasher20 said:

September 9th, 5:09 pm

Happy birthday PlayStation. Time to celebrate

spacemomkey said:

September 9th, 5:12 pm

I was there for Pong dudes and dudettes, yes, I have been around awhile! I started with Pong and went to the 2600 after that, now, it’s Playstation or NOTHING! I saw the release, and waited, just to see if PS just fizzled….gladly, it didn’t. Since then, wow, I have way far too many hours logged in playing everything. The games get better and better every year. I started with pixels, now, we have entire WORLDS to play in! Keep it coming Sony, I stand ready for the next evolution!!

Spacemonkey )O(

Pirate43 said:

September 9th, 5:16 pm

truly an epic video. makes me miss otheros

PAGE 1 2 3 4