Marvel's Spider-Man

Sep 15

Sep 15

Sports Champions Week: Gladiator Duel

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Sports Champions Week continues here on the Blog with the hack ‘n’ slash action of Gladiator Duel. In the Move demonstrations we’ve given at trade shows and Move meetups, Gladiator Duel has been the event that people have gravitated to immediately. And it’s easy to see why – bashing your friends in a head to head battle with one-to-one tracking is pretty awesome. Producer Jeremy Ray walks us through the features:

More than any other Sports Champions event, Gladiator Duel is the one that’s going to get that heart rate up and a bit of a sweat going. Tomorrow we’ll continue Sports Champions week with the comparatively mellow Disc Golf (a personal fave of mine).

Add Your Own

Jeigh said:

September 15th, 12:06 pm

Video’s kind of choppy… At least seems that way on my end.

The four controller configuration’s really not going to happen for a lot of people. Hell, two is kind of a stretch for some of us. ‘Course I’m not saying anything you guys haven’t heard already.

Mode looks as cool as ever, though it doesn’t seem to have a whole lot to it.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:30 pm

Please feel free to utilize the HD mode on the player. Make no mistake, that’s the internet, not the game itself.

AngelofDeathLoki said:

September 15th, 12:09 pm

I am so excited for this, hopefully I can get together enough cash before friday!

tetsou9shima said:

September 15th, 12:11 pm

Looks fun. I think I’m going to need to buy at least 4 controllers. I’m not sold on the nav controller yet however.

marlyt said:

September 15th, 12:11 pm

Red to go. Just release it already!! I’ve already got 3 games waiting for a move controller to make them work. Jeff, make it happen today if you’re not too busy.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:30 pm

I’ll take a chopper onto the container ship and start rowing.

TCBFox said:

September 15th, 12:12 pm

This game looks cool, digging those combos, now I need to get 2 Move controllers. I like how you can see the the back of the PS Eye in the shot.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:31 pm

That Rey – he’s got an eye for things.

An Eye, get it? Ugh, sorry.

Edd said:

September 15th, 12:12 pm

Awesome! really looking forward to picking up my move bundle on friday!, I’m only gonna have two remotes to start, but I’m most certainly going to be picking up two more in the future.

FredNation said:

September 15th, 12:12 pm

Look fun. I can’t wait to get my Move on the 17th! Besides this game what other Move games do you like? Or Move “supported” games?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:32 pm

This is definitely my favorite game so far, but I’ve also been playing a lot of Start the Party with the wife, and will be downloading Tumble today.

I also like the Move integration with Tiger Woods. I’ve always been more of a Hot Shots type of guy, but Tiger + Move = a game I’m enjoying.

Kemzow said:

September 15th, 12:12 pm

I personally can not wait untill I get my Move, and Sports Champion on friday.

Just a quick question, what event do you think is the most physical in all the events of Sports Champion? And what is the least physical event?

Nazfera2 said:

September 15th, 12:13 pm

Gladiator Duel is actually the reason im getting sports champions.
i cant wait. they should make a soulcalibur game with the move. :P

Also question do you need 2 motion control controllers for the 2 handed or could u use navigation controller as the second controller… im still un-oriented with what you need to play with the whole playstation move.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeremy Ray said:

September 15th, 1:24 pm

SC only uses Move motion controllers. All events are playable with 1 and some like Gladiator Duel have an optional 2 controller setting.

marlyt said:

September 15th, 12:15 pm

Ring Out!!! Awesome.

marlyt said:

September 15th, 12:17 pm

Yo, #10

U need two motion controllers. The nav controller is just like the left side of a sixaxis, hence it does not track.

marlyt said:

September 15th, 12:18 pm

Sorry, only need 2 to independently control sword and shield. You can control both with one using a toggle button.

BrianMcGuinness said:

September 15th, 12:19 pm

This question is for the people who actually post the entries on the blog and game developers, etc…Are you baffled by how incredibly stupid 99% of the people who read this blog are?
How many times can people ask when something is coming out and how many controllers you need?
You don’t have to answer. Everyone’s dumb.
Have a great day!

scorpio182 said:

September 15th, 12:43 pm

Two more days…. Looking sooo forward to the PS Move!!!!!

marlyt said:

September 15th, 12:44 pm

Dear Brian McGuiness,

What is Move? Do I need an XBOX to use it or a DS?

SmooshyKing said:

September 15th, 12:49 pm

The dude in the multiplayer portion of the video sure looks like he’s having fun.

I hope you put him back in his cell after the filming was complete.

BalramRules said:

September 15th, 12:59 pm

nicee and EPIC!

lightyear8 said:

September 15th, 1:05 pm

Man, these videos are actually putting me off from getting Move. It’s seeming more and more like you really need two of the controllers take full advantage of these games.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:34 pm

You’ll see in the next two events that it’s not the case.

While these events are more “immersive” with the dual configuration, two controllers are not required, and it doesn’t gimp the gameplay.

TheGuardianFID said:

September 15th, 1:21 pm

I just got back from pre-ordering the Sports Champions bundle, an extra Move, and a Nav controller, I can’t wait!!! 8)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:35 pm

^_^ See you on the leaderboards (JeffPS)

Jeigh said:

September 15th, 1:34 pm

ATTENTION: ADMINS

There was an interview with Adam Sessler on X-Play with Kevin Butler- absolutely hilarious by the way- that you absolutely have to post on the blog at the very least. Consider releasing it on the PS Store later.

By the way, I caught a spot for the Move on ABC Family with some kids I assume were from a show. Nice publicity.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 15th, 1:35 pm

We tweeted out that it’s happening, but I haven’t seen it yet. We’ll be sure to link out. Thanks!

BrianMcGuinness said:

September 15th, 1:44 pm

@16 marlyt – exactly.

XxKillerxX869 said:

September 15th, 1:47 pm

I want the Move alot =) I want to Play Sports champs,Heavy Rain and Heroes on The M0ve

Any trophies for Sport Champions?That would be a cool difference for people who played Wii Sports (I only buy Sony consoles so it doesnt affect me much :P )

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeremy Ray said:

September 15th, 2:04 pm

Trophies for SC = yes. :)

Le_Fantom9 said:

September 15th, 1:48 pm

hopefully I will get this for my b-day, which is saturday LOL
Can’t wait to try out Heavy Rain and Mag with the move.
Good job guys it looks awesome!

Jeigh said:

September 15th, 1:54 pm

In the first comment, I actually *was* referring to the video. I’ve seen plenty of video where it was smooth, so I’m not concerned about framerates.

PuppetShoJustice said:

September 15th, 1:54 pm

I apologize in advance for this…

IT’S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!

RedGiant17 said:

September 15th, 1:55 pm

Jeigh said:

September 15th, 1:57 pm

err… “referring to the Internet” I suppose, for clarification’s sake.

Voodoo_Lou said:

September 15th, 1:59 pm

Dusted off my Eye. Picked up Start the Party, EyePet, RE5 Gold, and Sports Champs. Downloaded Tumble. Now if only I had the controllers….

The wait is killing me.

ElektroDragon said:

September 15th, 2:02 pm

And this is why I bought FOUR Move controllers for the wife and I to play Gladiator and Archery together. Sure, it’s expensive, but its the best possible experience as judged from PAX.

Also bought two gun attachements, two chargers, one Nav controller, and pre-ordered The Shoot.

After trying Move and PAX, I am sold on this technology and its potential, and I can’t wait for what’s coming, especially Dead Space Extraction. :)

mcbuttz78 said:

September 15th, 2:25 pm

will there be up grade- able weapons.. dodge roll.. character customized looks, or ps eye face capture into game.. if not that might be a few thing you guys can do as dlc//

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeremy Ray said:

September 15th, 5:17 pm

unlockable weapons and characters = yes. Dodge roll = yes. PS eye face capture not for SC, but I like this idea. :)

nc20fan said:

September 15th, 2:26 pm

I just called my local gamestop and they said they weren’t sure when they were allowed to release it yet!! Originally they told me midnight, but now ???? Want my sportschampion bundle to play disc golf now!! :) can’t wait

ballagh said:

September 15th, 2:56 pm

traded one of my launch day 60 gigs in for the Move 320 gig bundle. helluva deal on that. also got 3 more move controllers and 2 navs + all the games. Cant wait for the midnight launch tommorrow night. Looking foward to RE5 GE and SC WOOT!!!! Bring on KZ3 and Socom…….

KB for President

pickupdoctor said:

September 15th, 3:01 pm

I got my 2 Move controllers and navigation controller yesterday after watching Archery video from Sports Champions, this is going to be so awesome. Also using it with Heavy Rain will be great.

Are there going to be more videos and presentations for other games?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeremy Ray said:

September 15th, 5:16 pm

They captured some Disc Golf footage when they visited the studio which I think will be coming next.

valley428 said:

September 15th, 4:40 pm

woah. when the 2 controllers colors combined, it was a perfect red. watch closely at 1:50

DVD_Sandwich said:

September 15th, 5:25 pm

Will Sports Champions have any online play? Or is it only local multiplayer?

ForgiveMyAim said:

September 15th, 7:14 pm

I heard there is no stabbing in Gladiator Duel, is this true?

TakiFuGu said:

September 15th, 7:23 pm

Do you guys think it was a good idea releasing PS Move the same week as Halo Reach?

judalation said:

September 15th, 8:30 pm

This game is clearly the cream of the crop… a day one purchace and only online multiplayer can improve it!

however I am also stoked about Kung Fu Live…I hope sony Buys Air Guitar company before Microsoft does so that sports champions 2 can use their technology….

inito324 said:

September 15th, 10:10 pm

To #14
I agree 100%
The other part that’s stupid, is how people think that they have to buy everything all at once, instead of buying a part today, and a part next month, etc…

BrianMcGuinness said:

September 16th, 6:27 am

Yeah that’s pretty much the dumbest part too. People think they’re forced to buy every single thing the first day it comes out. Relax. Or get a better job so you don’t have to complain about it.

black26ss said:

September 16th, 9:18 am

is any of the move games online?

scruffyexaminer said:

September 20th, 10:32 am

I’ve been playing GD with two controllers, and I love it. I just can’t wait for a developer (Bethseda?) to come up with an immersive fantasy RPG designed from the ground up for the move… please please please…