PlayStation VR

Sep 27

Sep 27

ModNation Monday: Gran Turismo Creator Takes a Test Drive!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar Posted by Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

ModNation Racers for PS3: ModNation Mondays

Big week for ModNation! It’s not everyday that the creator of the biggest racing franchise EVER takes another racing game for a spin … and has a good time doing it! On top of that Air Raid is available to all tomorrow on the PSN!

Be on a look out for more great MNR news tomorrow right here on the PS.Blog!

Artist Spotlight: Kazunori Yamauchi, Creator/Producer of Gran Turismo

Kazunori Yamauchi, the legend behind the Gran Turismo franchise, has a passion for racing, a passion that has led to over 56 Million copies of Gran Turismo shipped to date. As he prepares to launch his greatest creation yet (Gran Turismo 5 hits shelves November 2nd!) he took a moment to tell us what drives him and his team, shares memories of creating his first game, and what he thinks about racing … ModNation style!

Take Flight with Air Raid this week!

ModNation Racers: Air Raid DLC

ModNation Racers: Air Raid DLC

Whether he’s soaring through the skies off jumps or shooting Hydra missiles at his latest opponent, Air Raid will not stop at nothing to win the race. Once in the crosshairs of his one-of-a-kind Fighter Plane Kart, you better say your prayers! Available as a separate Mod ($.99), Kart ($.99), or as a bundle ($1.75). Get several parts and accessories for you to create with in the Mod and Kart Studios.

Mod of the Week

Mod Name: Geisha Kokeshi Autumn
Creator: cherryrae

ModOfWeek03

I’ve been to Japan and I own a few kokeshi dolls. This Mod definitely captures that spirit, and the Autumn colors are gorgeous. Nicely done!

Kart of the Week

Kart Name: True Lowrider
Creator: Joker_Six_T_Nine

KartOfWeek05

This truck is pimp-a-licious. Old school flavor with excellent attention to detail on the paint job. All win.

Tracks of the Week

Track Name: BOSS Gardens
Created by: CIV_BOSS

TrackOfWeek_BOSS01

TrackOfWeek_BOSS02 TrackOfWeek_BOSS03

TrackOfWeek_BOSS04 TrackOfWeek_BOSS05

I liked this track after just looking at a few of the screen shots. Once I downloaded and raced it, I fell in love. It’s lush and green, and it’s designed really well. CIV_BOSS used narrow segments of track very well, and the item pod placement is really clever. A few laps in, I learned how a few key drifting lines, and it was all good after that. Good work, BOSS.

Track Name: The Megaplex
Created by: OakBiscuits

TrackOfWeek_Megaplex01

TrackOfWeek_Megaplex02 TrackOfWeek_Megaplex03

OakBiscuits says that this track was a go at an indoor warehouse racetrack, and this track absolutely hit the mark. It REALLY feels like an indoor Karting track. Well, it’s quite a bit more exciting than any indoor Karting track I’ve ever seen, but you get the idea, right? I give this track a two word review: Awe. Some.

Hot Lap Roster For This Week

PAGE 1 2

Carl-G said:

September 27th, 10:05 am

Kazunori Yamauchi = GOD :P (well of racing games) :D

remanutd5 said:

September 27th, 10:08 am

excellent , you guys said it right MR Yamauchi = Legend , no doubt .
hey when the psp version will get any DLC ? or a new patch that allow us to talk while playing online? since nobody think the psp versions of any online game should allow PSN friends to play together at least let us talk to strangers over PSN lol

Toastrules said:

September 27th, 10:17 am

You guys have GOT to get the makers of CTR to come and make a spotlight for them

September 27th, 6:31 pm

We did! Check out last week’s post. :)

alok893 said:

September 27th, 10:28 am

Gran Turismo 5 is going to be Epic!

TwinDad said:

September 27th, 10:30 am

Any hint when your game is going to Greatest Hits?

SpyDudeFX said:

September 27th, 10:39 am

I still can’t get into the game and I’ve tried. It’s collecting dust since May, guess I should sell it. I was holding out for a patch.

September 27th, 6:33 pm

Patch hit a while back with a lot of good improvements. What didn’t you get into? Racing is fun. Multiplayer is great offline and online, with a TON of tracks to race. :)

elas12 said:

September 27th, 10:42 am

Kazunori Yamauchi? Wow! I’m so jealous of the Modnation Team that gets to interview all these famous developers :D

September 27th, 6:33 pm

He was super cool.

Tecnoboy1 said:

September 27th, 10:42 am

Monday’s hot lap is incorrect…

shyguyNC said:

September 27th, 10:43 am

will the gopher and golf kart finally be available tomorrow as well? it was supposedly going to be in the last two updates, but alas, no dice – one cannot believe these blog posts. :) i guess we’ll see tomorrow if the gopher/golf kart finally show and/or if the airplane actually becomes available.

September 27th, 6:35 pm

Apologies. We got our Mods twisted. Woody the Racing Gopher will be hitting the store next month.

moriarty1975 said:

September 27th, 10:56 am

“Be on a look out for more great MNR news tomorrow right here on the PS.Blog”

Some news about DLC other then Mod/Karts i hope!

September 27th, 6:36 pm

Even better (in my opinion)

zombie9 said:

September 27th, 11:02 am

(Gran Turismo 5 hits shelves November 2nd!)
in 2010 or 2011? That is the question:)
cant wait though.

September 27th, 6:36 pm

Ha! 2010 for sure!

LukaX23 said:

September 27th, 11:05 am

Kazunori is my favorite game creator. =) Glad this video was made.

September 27th, 6:36 pm

Me too! It means a ton coming from him.

RichieAppel said:

September 27th, 11:06 am

You need to get Gopher up, before you even think about putting another DLC mod and kart up. This is unacceptable 2 weeks in a row it doesn’t go up. I doubt it will even go up tomorrow.

September 27th, 6:37 pm

You are right, he won’t. :( Sorry for the error. It’s going to be Air Raid and Gopher will hit next month.

moriarty1975 said:

September 27th, 11:07 am

Wasnt that kart of the week already picked a couple of weeks ago?

Ozbendigo said:

September 27th, 11:07 am

when is sony going to start advertising gt5?

Shakatu said:

September 27th, 11:07 am

@3 They already have had a Naughty Dog spotlight.
@6 They’ve had a few patches, just not announced on the PS Blog. Such as different difficulty settings, skipping the intro screens, and no more region lock!

dragonmagician said:

September 27th, 11:26 am

Any chance of adding 3D support to MNR? I was playing the Motorstorm demo yesterday, and I was thinking that MNR would look amazing in 3D.

September 27th, 6:38 pm

That would be a TRIP! The Sonic Rift would be crazy!

CAPNDigital said:

September 27th, 11:29 am

Surprise, surprise.
The ModNation Monday blog is actually on Monday! And it’s not 9:00pm here on the East Coast.
BUT:
Kart of the Week (as great as it is) was already featured recently.
No mention of Woody the Gopher and his Golf Kart (for the 3rd straight week now) – at this point even IF tomorrow’s announcement promised 5 new Track Themes (not gonna happen) I couldn’t believe it anyways.

Also,
What’s the status on patching the latest patch since it promised to fix Search by Text disconnects but has actually made it far far worse (as has been documented for 2 weeks in the forums without any comments/acknowledements from UFG/SanDiegoStudios/Sony)?

Thanks for the fun game, just wish the support was trailing off so badly in the last few weeks.

Again,
where is Woody and His Golf Kart?

VincentVendetta said:

September 27th, 11:43 am

“The track is very Gran Turismo”

…it’s an Oval. Wait, no actually it two harpins… so it’s an Oval.

Rytteren said:

September 27th, 11:49 am

still in love with this game :)

Deak1124 said:

September 27th, 11:52 am

Will Woody finally make it to the Playstation Store tomorrow?

Honestly, after 3 Tuesdays of being absent, he should be free now.

jimmyfoxhound said:

September 27th, 12:17 pm

Kaz!!! Can’t wait for GT5!!!

D-Roca said:

September 27th, 12:56 pm

@ModNation team

when can we have another DOUBLE XP week?

SlySkyrat73 said:

September 27th, 1:03 pm

Is there a patch coming to fix the search disconnect problem. Are we ever going to get tracks like flaming jumps and drifters paradice back.

NEJI64 said:

September 27th, 1:28 pm

@5TwinDad Stop being cheap and spend 60 bucks. The game is worth sixty dollars.

JAk_HAk said:

September 27th, 1:40 pm

Cool. At this point, new tracks are the only thing that’s interesting me. I’ll have to give CIV Gardens, Megaplex and the Gran Turismo track a go, obviously, but I’m still holding out for track DLC!

September 27th, 6:40 pm

You aren’t digging the dope UGC tracks?

thepatriots said:

September 27th, 2:33 pm

Is this Man Furismo Jive?

GGod0 said:

September 27th, 2:48 pm

Aw no Ratchet and Clank this week :(

KILLZONE79 said:

September 27th, 4:32 pm

Alright sony you’ve finally me got off the fence on buying this game. i’ll buy it soon. though i loved the beta and demo but can u believe i have yet to buy this game lol.

September 27th, 6:44 pm

We got some news that may do the trick tomorrow. :)

MickaeL486 said:

September 27th, 4:42 pm

PLEASE DON’T SLOW DOWN THE SUPPORT UFG/SONY.

PLEASE GIVE US THE SNOW/ICE TRACK THEME ALREADY!
It just seems like such an obvious omission for DLC.

lol, I want to keep playing this at least until Man Furismo Jive. ;)

September 27th, 6:45 pm

Be sure will not Slow Down and have some very cool things up our sleeve. :)

l3lackCalamity said:

September 27th, 5:11 pm

Your giving away the airplane code. Remind me the point of pre release bonuses if your just gonna give them all out anyway.

SSJNeBiRoS said:

September 27th, 5:17 pm

Very good video and stuff, but I can not help but wonder, watching Yamauchi-san here, if there are planned any trailer, video or new information on Gran Turismo 5 before its launch in just over a month?

September 27th, 6:51 pm

You’ll see soon enough. GT5 will be a monster launch!

IronStorm613 said:

September 27th, 5:23 pm

I love the game and I love all the stuff you guys keep pouring out but I cant help feel im missing out on alot. I have yet to be allowed to get online with this game because your game wont support my router and i cant go out and buy a new one. will this be fixed anytime soon?

September 27th, 6:52 pm

That’s unusual. What router do you have? Does it work with other games?

MickaeL486 said:

September 27th, 5:48 pm

The plane bonus wasn’t a pre-release bonus. it was a “click here now” bonus at gamespot.com for a free code, no purchase or pre-order was required.

so chill and ask for the snow and ice track theme buddy.

CAPNDigital said:

September 27th, 6:58 pm

Chuck,
You are telling us that Woody can’t be added to the Store until next MONTH? (Granted next week would qualify as next month)
Really????
Very disappointing…

Also, could you explain what the relationship and roles of UFG, San Diego Studios, and Sony are pertaining to ModNation Racers?

Who is making/releasing the DLC?
Who is creating/publishing the patches? (and why doesn’t the recent one work in regards to Searches)
Who is in charge of the future of this game?

September 27th, 7:51 pm

I’m disappointed as well that we got your hopes up, but Woody will be coming soon.

San Diego Studios “produces” ModNation Racers, UFG “develops” the actual code and patches, and Sony “publishes” it.

We are all collectively responsible for the future of the game and try to listen and provide what the fans want and need. From what I’ve seen in production, the future is very exciting.

Elnath10 said:

September 27th, 7:56 pm

Really awesome that Gran Turismo’s creator take a taste of modnation racers, pretty amazing mod and kart he did by himself :o

as CAPNDigital, I’m too disapointed about Woody Gopher DLC, I just can’t understand why he can’t be up in US store now that have been announced twice!, waitint 1 month?… well 1 one month I will play again ModNation Racers

Guys, you’re repeating karts and mods of the week, that truck was posted before… come’on there are more awesome stuff over there

SUPERGAMER247 said:

September 27th, 10:02 pm

and to think that I got air raid for free…

lilyphoenix said:

September 27th, 10:02 pm

I still have an extra Code for Air Raid, so send me a PSN message if you want a FREE one. :)

judalation said:

September 27th, 10:13 pm

Nice interview! I cant wait for GT5!

JAk_HAk said:

September 27th, 11:16 pm

“You aren’t digging the dope UGC tracks?”
Well that’s a loaded question and implies that they are dope…

I kid, I kid. No, it has more to do with the fact that I’ve raced the UFG tracks hundreds of times each (mostly locally; there are always people in my dorm room wanting to play!), and, actually, what I really meant to say by “only thing” is that I’m more interested in new tracks than I am in new mods or karts.
The mods and karts, you see, are almost entirely an expression of myself. The tracks, however, are wherein the real gameplay lies.

JAk_HAk said:

September 27th, 11:18 pm

Wait… UGC? United Games-Created? I just noticed the discrepancy. I don’t think it makes a difference, but correct me if I’m wrong.

JAk_HAk said:

September 27th, 11:20 pm

Oh, wait, I’m stupid. User Generated Content. Yes! I’m digging those. Mostly, I just try out the ones I’ve seen on the forum, but I also greatly enjoy casual races.

I feel like an idiot. Sorry for the triple post.

HIGHESTofTHEMALL said:

September 28th, 1:40 am

I love this game, but I wish they would fix some of the connection issues.

CAPNDigital said:

September 28th, 5:57 am

Thanks Chuck for the reply @35. Appreciate you clearing up my question regarding the development team. FYI – the main ModNation website could use a little TLC and updating as well.

I really love ModNation Racers, in fact it’s the reason I bought a Playstation 3 this June – just to play this 1 game. Crazy to some I guess, but I love kart racing games that are done well and with the Track Editor and the deep customization options – MNR is the BEST “Racing” game – PERIOD (Sorry Mr. Man Furismo Jive but MNR is tops in my house!)

Looking forward to the next “big announcement”
I hope it includes an option to:
Choose my own Computer AI opponents in Quick Race and Casual online Racing.

See ya around the ModNation

CAPNDigital

September 28th, 11:41 am

Thanks for the love. See ya on the track!

shazbot-finubus said:

September 28th, 7:11 am

I really like this game, the racing is actually quite strategic and the track building is extremely easy to understand yet there is tons of depth.

Back in the day I used to be build dioramas so the track creator appeals to that same sense of creative design and construction

September 28th, 11:43 am

I love how the track creator is both simple yet deep, it caters to everyone, no matter what skill level you are.

Tecnoboy1 said:

September 28th, 9:48 am

I think there should be more UFG tracks added to the roster (New ones you may construct) or ones that play well from the community, it would certainly get me racing XP again!

moriarty1975 said:

September 28th, 12:22 pm

@ reply to 33

Unfortunately it’s not that unusual.

IronStorm613 said:

September 29th, 4:02 pm

@ reply to 33

I have the Westell 7500 verizon router. It works perfect with all other games like LittleBigPlanet, Call of Duty, MLB The Show, Burnout Paradise, Uncharted 2. Just this game. It’s really depressing

WintermutePSN said:

September 30th, 7:11 am

Great vid! I love ModNation racers, played the PS3 demo and bought the PSP version. Big respect to Mr. Lacson for keeping in touch with the PlayStation fans (thank you!). I have a question: My best friend in the States has the US version of ModNation for PS3. I live in Japan, do you know if I can play online with him with the Japanese version or will I have to hit up the import shop and grab a US version for about 2000 yen extra? I don’t mind paying the extra money, just that 2000 yen can get me some sweet ModNation DLC so if the Japanese version will let me play with people that have a North American copy, that would be perfect. Thanks again!

BalramRules said:

September 30th, 9:18 am

Kazunori Yamauchi is jwkez
dat iz sooo not his tone

PAGE 1 2