Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Oct 13

Oct 13

Surround Sound System for PS3 Available Next Week

Anand Agarwal's Avatar Posted by Sr. Manager, Platforms Marketing

Hi all! Back at E3, we had announced that we will be releasing an all-in-one Surround Sound System for the PS3 system with built-in subwoofer. A device made for the ultimate gamer, the Surround Sound System will be available next week in the U.S. and Canada. It’s perfect for use with games and Blu-ray movies and more importantly, is easy to use. You’ll be able to enjoy immersive audio by simply placing the Surround Sound System in front of the television and connecting it to the PS3 system with the optical digital cable. The sleek design of the Sound Bar compliments the design of your PS3.

Surround Sound System for PS3

Surround Sound System for PS3 Surround Sound System for PS3

So, why pick up the Surround Sound System? The Surround Sound System utilizes cutting-edge technologies, including Sony’s S-Force PRO Front Surround Sound that creates the equivalent of a home theater system, bringing to life in-game sounds not normally audible with conventional acoustic systems. Bringing in SCE’s expertise in both entertainment and technology acquired from developing games, four sound fields and two sound modes have been designed with the help of our expert game sound designers. Check out this video that has excerpts from our conversations with the game sound design team:

To learn more about the features and specifications of this Sound Bar, visit our web site. Many retailers across the country have it on display as well. Visit one of the online retailers listed on our website for more info. Enjoy!

Add Your Own

quiomar01 said:

October 13th, 8:00 am

Will smartly wait for reviews on this to hit and than see if electronic stores have it on display to test it out. I’ve been meaning to upgrade from my SONY Digital Audio Control Center (bought in 2004)

ShadowOfEden said:

October 13th, 8:06 am

I bought a 50 inch 1080p plasma TV a few days ago. This would work very with my TV. I’m just wondering the price. I’m not paying over my PS3’s price for surround sound.

TwinDad said:

October 13th, 8:08 am

This looks like it would be good for those slim line TV’s that don’t have very deep sound. Not horrible for $180.

and LOL at the Surround Sound Defense Force in this blog post.

Rollin666z said:

October 13th, 8:10 am

Hey Ice Samurai.. Metal Gear SOlid 4 GUns Of The Patriots is in full Dolby 2. Nothing better than hearing exactly WHERE everything your sneaking around is.

wocyob said:

October 13th, 8:14 am

seems sweet… shame i might not be able to pick it up since i live in an apt with thin wall :(

but still would like to know a price :)

Rene_Led said:

October 13th, 8:23 am

This looks great!
What would be the price? Somewhere between 120-180$?

CubanRatMan said:

October 13th, 8:26 am

no HDMI = FAIL

rmartinez10 said:

October 13th, 8:28 am

Available next week? I’ve already seen this in stores here in the U.S. since August.

Gnordy said:

October 13th, 8:30 am

My gaming area has a low ceiling and the seating area is very wide, but not very deep (less than 7 feet). Would the sound bar work well in this type of room?

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

October 13th, 4:45 pm

Will work perfectly for the set up you described

Jerel said:

October 13th, 8:31 am

I looked it up on Amazon… MSRP is $179.99

I’ve been looking at buying a soundbar and I’ll have to keep this one in mind. I’ll be waiting for the reviews. :)

gillettjoe said:

October 13th, 8:34 am

I don’t know what the sound quality is like, but for $179.99 I encourage everyone who is currently using their TV speakers to buy this.

Then when you discover the difference good sound can make to your experience, get a real surround sound set-up with a powerful sub.

gillettjoe said:

October 13th, 8:39 am

@ Cubanratman

This is a sound bar, not an AV reciever (The PS3 only has one HDMI output). Optical cables carry 5.1 sound just as well.

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

October 13th, 4:46 pm

That’s exactly what I would have said. Thanks for your comment.

kenoetheboss said:

October 13th, 8:40 am

real gamers already have surround sound already a lil too late sony

Superstrokey1123 said:

October 13th, 8:58 am

I dont see the point of this, can someone explain it to me?

Curtisio said:

October 13th, 9:03 am

I’ve been wanting a sound system… I’ll have to research it! Thanks!

MadMeat001 said:

October 13th, 9:06 am

Infamous 2 gameplay video is so great i don’t know how to say it

xxnike629xx said:

October 13th, 9:06 am

Interesting. Though I presume that this will cost quite a bit of money?

>_>

xxnike629xx said:

October 13th, 9:07 am

Ah~ Just checked the Amazon.com link that “Jerel” posted. $180 is a lot. I might buy it if it was $100.

ClinToN said:

October 13th, 9:08 am

Actually saw this last week in a store.

Jarett said:

October 13th, 9:09 am

@63
It’s an alternative for people who don’t have the extra cash/space for a surround sound setup. It simulates 5.1 surround. It’s a huge a step up from stereo sound from tv speakers. It’s obviously not as good a true home theatre setup as some people here eagerly point out. Other companies make these sound bars too, like Yamaha. Btw, if anyone else reads this: make sure you use an optical cable!

Conrad_Max said:

October 13th, 9:18 am

Looks like I’ll have to be extra nice to the Wife…

G1283 said:

October 13th, 9:19 am

too bad i already have my room completely setup. sure it will be a great product though.

ProChakwera said:

October 13th, 9:22 am

only if i had money :(

mcbuttz78 said:

October 13th, 9:25 am

Think this very good.. I just want to know can use another ps3 remote with it. Can i program the offical ps3 system remote to this sound system. Will this sound system recieve updates>?

Id also like to see if its compatitble with psp go or psp systems via remote play or tv conversion. WIll the sound tranfer.?

also what is the lenght of this system the wieght.. ty 4 your time

palancar said:

October 13th, 9:33 am

I like the idea of sound bars but don’t usually feel the sound as good as they should.

For those on a budget, or space restrictions these are supposed to be nice. Better sound immersion and depth than TV speakers or even plain stereo speakers but not as good as a 5.1 system.

As for the connections, I think optical is the way to go. You can select to have two audio outputs running at the same time on the PS3. For most, you can run HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and the optical to the soundbar. No need to switch anything or change the audio settings, once you set it up for dual output. This way you can have it just on the TV and when you need the extra punch you turn on the sound bar.

I would like something like this since I don’t want wires everywhere, my wife wants that even less and I ave 2 small children, and this will tuck nicely under the TV. Sure I’d rather have a 5.1 again but this may do. I think $200 is right for something like this that sounds very good. Price it much higher than that and people may look at doing an actual receiver and speakers.

Pwnage_Monster56 said:

October 13th, 9:35 am

My question is…is it really worth it? I mean, I have a pretty decent BOSE system and I’m about to get the V20 Bose System as well and as I read before it was targeted toward gamers. So is this honestly worth it?

gillettjoe said:

October 13th, 9:36 am

$179.99 is a steal, look at the prices of other sound bars.

5.1 is the HD of audio. The only problem this has is that once you get the taste for good sound , be prepared to squander all your cash on better sound equipment.

gt90v12 said:

October 13th, 9:37 am

I have to agree with the consensus, the ultimate gamer would have a discrete multi-channel receiver already in use. I myself have been using my Sony STR-DE985B for a very long time now, which I will be replacing with the STR-DN2010 this Christmas season, got my speakers (SS-7000(front), SS-CN5000(center and center rear), SS-F6000(surround rear), SA-WM500 (sub), when Circuit City was having their “out of business” sales.

Kchow23 said:

October 13th, 9:38 am

Already seen this on store shelves…

Kchow23 said:

October 13th, 9:44 am

and by that I mean a long time ago

sharpshoot said:

October 13th, 9:45 am

If this was really made for the playstation 3 it would have hdmi and dolby true hd and dts hd. This is just a reguler sony sound bar with a playstation logo on it. sad!!!

WoshJills said:

October 13th, 9:48 am

I have 5.1 surround sound gaming headphones, but this would prove to be rather useful as a standalone stereo to play music off of. Great for parties, guests, or when I want to cook dinner in the kitchen but listen to music from my living room.

ESHAM976 said:

October 13th, 9:57 am

Sounds good, my only problem is I’m a over the road truck driver and it’s already hard enough keeping my ps3 and flat screen in the truck. Were could I store this thing.(see the inside of my truck entertainment center on YouTube under esham976)

ck_sfu said:

October 13th, 9:58 am

I think I’ll buy one for my computer, ps3 is already on a 52″ tv with 7.1 surround. would be good for people in dorms rooms etc

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

October 13th, 10:10 am

If the price is right it might be good.
But going from a 5.1 SS to this bar is not the way to go (unless your system brakes or something like that).

$150-$200, more than that is way too much

QUINTISON said:

October 13th, 10:30 am

While interesting i already have the astro a 40 surround headphones and a 5.1 system. This would be good in a guestroom
or somewhere a full 5.1 system couldn’t go.

Why’d they say that this is a 1st step in creating a sound system for ps3 as in something better will follow this release like a full 7.1 lossless audio system capable of dts hdma 2.0,5.1,dolby true hd and linear pcm.

DTS HDMA 2.0 is the newest codec and i wouldn’t get a reciever without support for it though an hdmi cable is needed for lossless surround sound.

AG-WarFighter said:

October 13th, 10:56 am

nothing BEATS 5.1 OR 7.1 SETUP

AG-WarFighter said:

October 13th, 10:57 am

IT DOSENT even use the FULL power or the ps3 audio. wheres the TURE HD and DTS MA HD?

zerolaff said:

October 13th, 11:03 am

Sounds good. I don’t have the space for 5.1 in my living room.

TallCrowe said:

October 13th, 11:03 am

If it helps with evening out audio I’m all for it. I haven’t the time or patience to set up my room for 5.1.

letherclad said:

October 13th, 11:08 am

Posts like this should really include the price

I’ll probably be picking this up though

PsychoCanadian said:

October 13th, 11:15 am

I dont roll with anything that has a sub under 10”.

TakumiM07 said:

October 13th, 11:20 am

Not sure this is worth it considering how much it costs in Canada. You can get an equivalent 5.1 system for around the same price. And also no HDMI either.

phishybongwaters said:

October 13th, 11:41 am

AS someone with a 5.1 surround sound system already, this is pointless… As someone who also has a ps3 in the bedroom as media center, this is awesome, “surround sound” without running cables or placing speakers, perfect fit for that.

Optical cable only? No hdmi? Currently I have my main system running hdmi into the home theatre, then hdmi out to the TV from the home theatre, you’d have to do a similar setup with this if it supported hdmi.

Expensive and short optical cable? FAIL

Thrasher20 said:

October 13th, 11:50 am

Holy dirty nuts! I’ll probably sell my current surround sound for this

TheTwelve said:

October 13th, 12:03 pm

I’m going to have to get this. VERY SOON.

Kirkpad said:

October 13th, 12:08 pm

I suggest everyone look at this press release:

It has the full specs including price, size, and what’s included. It’s $199, includes an optical cable, and is damn portable.

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

October 13th, 5:29 pm

The price has changed since that original release. It is $179.99 now.

Kirkpad said:

October 13th, 12:10 pm

@93, what do you mean “how much it costs in Canada”. I would assume it would be pretty close to the $199 US price. Also, you must be dumb to think that a surround sound system is cheaper than $200. You can’t even buy an amplifier for $200.

Victoryismine52 said:

October 13th, 12:15 pm

I’m sold
More importantly Night mode sold my wife (we have 2 young kids)
this will be a great buy!

Justp94 said:

October 13th, 12:22 pm

I looked under Compatibility and it doesn’t have the 320GB version of PS3 under there? Will that change?

Anand Agarwal's Avatar

Anand Agarwal said:

October 13th, 5:30 pm

It is compatible with all PS3 versions.