Overwatch

Nov 19

Nov 19

First Look at TRON: Evolution PlayStation Move, Stereoscopic 3D and Multiplayer Detailed

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

With TRON Legacy bringing the uncanny valley to theaters nationwide on December 17th in IMAX 3D and Disney Digital 3D, the pressure’s on TRON: Evolution to serve up some bleeding-edge hardware of its own. Luckily, TRON: Evolution on the PS3 is locked and loaded with state-of-the-art stereoscopic 3D as well as PlayStation Move support. We spoke with Game Director Darren Hedges for the full skinny on TRON: Evolution and grabbed first video of PlayStation Move controls in action for the epic lightcycle sequences in the campaign.

Tron: EvolutionTron: Evolution

Tech details aside, Hedges explains how TRON: Evolution’s persistent character customization across all modes means your progress and upgrades (roughly 60 in all) in the single-player campaign will transfer to online multiplayer, and vice-versa. Hedges also details how the TRON: Evolution team worked closely with the film team on TRON: Legacy, sharing assets, motion-capture data, and 3D techniques. Rey’s new video is fascinating, so give it a watch and let us know what you think in the comments.

Add Your Own

Tyrsis said:

November 19th, 1:01 pm

Daft Punk – Derezzed is the song (if anyone is wondering.)
Can’t wait for the movie!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 2:29 pm

Killer song :-) Props to Rey for using it so effectively!

hanzox7 said:

November 19th, 1:06 pm

looks interesting. cool idea to use the ps move that way.

KidCommando said:

November 19th, 1:12 pm

Disney sure is hoping the revival of the Tron franchise is a hit.

The game looks pretty cool so far. Movie tie-ins rarely work out, but maybe this will be different.

Nice vid though!

BlooodyCow said:

November 19th, 1:14 pm

nothing to see here people. Just another movie game that is being hype and then fail like the other 99% of them.

Chuckbait said:

November 19th, 1:19 pm

This game does look boring.

Zezzler said:

November 19th, 1:23 pm

I like how sony is really pushing for EVERYTHING. 3D, Move support, Dualshock support, Multiplayer, and (not with this game, but) Exclusive content. good job Sony! you are pushing the industry forward~

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 2:30 pm

Glad you like it — Tron is definitely stacked with features. I’m a fan of the persistent character creation, I’d like to see that in more games!

Kluzot said:

November 19th, 1:26 pm

@4 I agree with you.

Just a game to make more money…

pitythefool852 said:

November 19th, 1:31 pm

So the Move support is tipping the controller from side to side in exactly the same way that we can tip a SixAxis controller?

Kind of an anticlimax there… but if it works well then why not?

It does work well, right?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 2:31 pm

It works quite well — the sensors are much more advanced than those used for Sixaxis.

Marsz85 said:

November 19th, 1:35 pm

Six…axis…?

Looks very uncomfortable to use the Move like that. Makes much more sense with the sixaxis controller.

supvic said:

November 19th, 1:39 pm

is THAT all the move controller can do in this game? Even Ratchet and Clank had more capability with just the SixAxis (eg. flying).

AgentX said:

November 19th, 1:42 pm

I loved the original Tron movie, so naturally I’m looking forward to this game as well as the upcoming movie sequel.

I’m happy to see Move is supported, but I have to admit being a little let down that (so far) it only appears to be used for steering the light cycle. Much like pitythefool852 said above, this seems like it could’ve been accomplished using Sixaxis, rather than something that properly utilizes Move’s advanced abilities. For example, it would be great to use Move to throw the disc in this game, in a manner similar to throwing the flying disc in the disc golf event in Sports Champions.

KazeEternal said:

November 19th, 1:45 pm

*scratches head* Why are you making me use the move for something the Sixaxis can do already?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 2:29 pm

The Move support is very responsive — Sixaxis isn’t as great a fit for fast-moving driving handling.

Dogofthunder said:

November 19th, 2:10 pm

This game looks good to me, and I will be getting it. I am such a mark for anything TRON. Let me know if you are getting this. I’ll friend you (and then derezz you)!

MonkeyGibber said:

November 19th, 2:12 pm

Hopefully that’s just a bit of the move support. They should easily be able to use the move to throw your discs like frisbee golf in sport champions…

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 2:28 pm

Darren told us that, for now, PS Move support is limited to the lightcycle sequences in the campaign mode.

Kchow23 said:

November 19th, 2:14 pm

very odd move support there…

shawtymann said:

November 19th, 2:27 pm

I wonder if Daft Punk will make an appearance

CODE_ANON said:

November 19th, 2:28 pm

fck the nay-sayers….this game looks awesome and will be kick-ass

Berae said:

November 19th, 2:28 pm

I dont know if the game is gonna be good but the movie is going to be sick!

DZORMAGEN said:

November 19th, 2:35 pm

Movie to video games never play well or do well in my opinion. Please tell me how this game is different than the other games that are rushed to stores just to make a few more bucks?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 19th, 3:42 pm

Agreed, the track history is mixed. I will say that TRON piqued my interest in my limited hands-on — the graphics are beautiful, the combat is satisfying once you catch the rhythm, and the stereoscopic 3D implementation is right up there with Killzone 3.

LUGIEZ said:

November 19th, 2:45 pm

This game actually looks good! The move can control the bike too like handlebars! cool!

Stingger said:

November 19th, 3:01 pm

I played this in October at the Sony meet & greet in Toronto… All I was thinking was how awesome the game would be with Move support… Glad to hear it’s getting it!!!

emiru69 said:

November 19th, 3:01 pm

TRON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER??!! I’m in!!!

ShadowAurora said:

November 19th, 3:11 pm

the video solidified my enthusiasm for the game my only worry is how do you balance it for multiplayer? persistent character sounds like a nightmare for having a balanced multiplayer

Edd said:

November 19th, 3:38 pm

I’m glad that the game as a whole seems to be shaping up quite nicely, but I have to say that the limited Move support is a little underwhelming. I really hope games that are in development now will take more time to really implement Move to it’s full potential.

cresseychaos said:

November 19th, 4:22 pm

After Sports Champions I can’t help but think.. PS Move for multiplayer light disk battles? .. surely that would be awesome?

Glacier928 said:

November 19th, 5:08 pm

Looks amazing! Hoping to get this for Christmas! lol

Dark_Vincent said:

November 19th, 6:10 pm

As an original Tron fan myself, I’m excited for this game and the new movie.

Like others, I did find the Move support a little underwhelming, it would be ok with the sixaxis really.

I want to see what is it they have planned for DLC and also longer gameplay videos showing sections of the game or a full multiplayer battle, more than just glimpses :(

Now for the obligatory question: Will there be a demo?

vectorman88 said:

November 19th, 7:12 pm

great coverage in this vid.im certainly picking this up at best buy on the 7th. i just ordered the PDP controller to. December is going to be epic!

EggySong85 said:

November 20th, 3:58 am

The PS Move support looks pretty awkward, but I’m not complaining. I’m just glad they’re doing it anyway.

Lugoves said:

November 20th, 6:21 am

The game looks great! …Any thoughts on how ‘balanced’ online play will be if persistent characters are going to have so many possible upgrades at play?

bowman151 said:

November 20th, 11:57 am

I haven’t seen either of the Tron movies, though this game does have my interest. I definitely looking forward to trying the multiplayer. As for the movie game curse, X-men Origins: Wolverine wasn’t too bad of a game for being based on a movie so this game could surprise some of the nonbelievers.

jdneul said:

November 21st, 2:03 am

move is capable of more than just driving a bike, I am disappointed…

FfoegNosnibor said:

November 21st, 8:44 am

Why would you make the gamer switch from a dual shock to a move controller for one portion of the game?

If it is a move game, then make it a game that is fully controlled by move.

I am a early move adopter, and I love Tron. But if this bike thing is thrown in there just so you guys can advertise it as a move game–to supplement the weak library of move games–then I will not purchase.

Move has a lot of potential, and people seem to be buying it. Release some decent games that are designed from the ground up to support this peripheral.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

December 6th, 6:18 am

Im very shocked and very dissapointed that GT5 didnt come out with the MOVE driving controlls like TRON did.Although i hope the sixaxsis can be used for this too. And since im thinkin about buying the wheel just for GT5 hopefully i can use it for TRON too :p Watchin the video and listening to tha techno music ..got me super ammped for the movie..the game is looking great im already loving the customization features and being able to use your campaign character on multiplayer has convinced me to pre order this game right now. i guess alil PS BLOG promotions go along way :)