God of War

Dec 07

Dec 07

Resistance 3: The Story So Far

Marcus Smith's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Hopefully you had a chance to check out the teaser for our new trailer which will premier exclusively this Saturday during the Spike Video Game Awards (check your local listings for time and network if you’re outside the US). And, we look forward to sharing more with you about the trailer after the VGAs this weekend. But even prior to the VGAs, a lot of new info has hit since GamesCom via a couple magazine covers that you may have seen – but if you missed it, we’re here to catch you up.

First of all, the main protagonist in Resistance 3 is Joseph Capelli, the Sentinel who (HUGE RESISTANCE 2 SPOILERS HERE… if you haven’t played it yet, go buy a Greatest Hits copy now!) was forced to kill Nathan Hale at the end of R2. Capelli was dishonorably discharged, and four years later is living in hiding with his wife, Susan, and son, Jack, along with other survivors in the town of Haven, Oklahoma. He’s given up fighting, and is now just trying to hide and survive the Chimeran death squads that roam the planet. But when Dr. Malikov arrives with an opportunity to deliver a blow to the Chimera, Capelli embarks on a road trip to New York City. Resistance 3 is a tale of Capelli’s heroic journey across the country as he encounters the remnants of humanity left in the aftermath of the brutal invasion.

We wanted to show you some of our favorite concept art and screenshots so far, with some “director’s commentary” on each. Check out our favorite screenshots below.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, humans are hunted by Chimeran death squads, but various groups have figured out different ways to survive across the destroyed country.

Resistance 3

One of our favorite concepts, emphasizing the brutality of the world. Capelli using the new Marksman.

The GamesCom trailer was meant to give you a glimpse and foreshadow the universe that we are creating, whereas the live-action in the upcoming VGA trailer will actually represent some moments from the game, and hopefully give you a taste of the world, atmosphere and mood in Resistance 3.

Resistance 3

Part of Capelli’s journey involves a treacherous boat journey. This shows off our new Capelli model (yup, he does look different and skinnier, four years of malnutrition as food is now scarce), holding Resistance’s signature weapon, the Bullseye. Folks who are looking carefully will notice the Goliath in the background, as well as a new enemy, the Longlegs.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, the Chimera have formed into two distinct groups. Feral Chimera, such as the grim seen above and others such as the Widowmaker, are a constant threat to humans and even militarized Chimera.

Resistance 3

Early in the game, you’ll meet Capelli’s wife, Susan. Fans of the universe and novelization will recognize her as Nathan Hale’s stepsister.

Resistance 3

The military chimera are still a strong presence in 1957, with roving death squads and drones continuing to exterminate any signs of humanity while protecting key Chimeran installations.

Resistance 3

This is a screenshot taken from one of our multiplayer maps. The multiplayer locations in the game are set around the world, with many in locations not in the single-player game. This level is the Fort Lamy prison, in the Republic of Chad, Africa. During the single-player campaign, you’ll hear updates about the battle happening there.

Many folks have written to us with questions about gameplay, co-op, and multiplayer. A few quick answers: The weapon wheel returns, allowing Capelli to carry his entire arsenal and letting the player choose which weapons and strategies they want to use for each encounter. New to Resistance 3 are upgradeable weapons, which will give your weapons new abilities and power as you continue to use them. In terms of co-op, we are focusing on a 2-player co-op through the single-player campaign, which can be played online with a friend, or split-screen on your couch. In terms of multiplayer, we are planning a much more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience. We’ll have many more details on the new campaign, enemies, multiplayer and weapons in the weeks to come as we head towards our Fall 2011 release.

That’s all for now, stay tuned for the newest trailer – we can’t wait to hear what you think.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

JAKESPLACE said:

December 7th, 9:02 am

Win!

tnt419 said:

December 7th, 9:04 am

I hope it has an online co-op mode similar to the Resistance 2. I spent many hours in that mode leveling up each class.

The1stMJC said:

December 7th, 9:06 am

HELL YES!
Everything I am reading makes me confident in the franchise again.
Also co-op story pretty much means guarantees my purchase.

nino1911 said:

December 7th, 9:07 am

hello

Raz256 said:

December 7th, 9:08 am

God, it seems like forever since I played Resistance 2. **SPOILER** I totally forgot that Nathan Hale was killed at the end. I was wondering how the story was going to play out afterwards. Can’t wait till fall of next year.

Butters360 said:

December 7th, 9:09 am

Epic!! Resistance 3 is shaping up to be an incredible entry to the franchise. Hopefully, the franchise can continue.

Reginthorn said:

December 7th, 9:09 am

Dude if its anything like the first game then count me in! Please be less like Resistance 2!

G-Force08 said:

December 7th, 9:10 am

This is truly one of my favorite shooters on the PS3. I loved R: FoM and R2. R3 I have been following ever since that beloved teaser trailer we got earlier this year.

Every bit of news is great! Keep up the good work Insomniac. I am really looking forward to this.

Any input on if there may be any invites to a beta for multiplayer?

reson8er said:

December 7th, 9:10 am

Seems VERY atmospheric, liking the vibe I’m getting. Resistance is at its finest when your skin is crawling and you fear every dark corner you see. Love the series, looking forward to the gameplay video on the VGA’s. Go Insomniac!

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 3:45 pm

Definitely focusing on creating a brutal world that you will experience first-hand in Resistance 3.

Globox_82 said:

December 7th, 9:12 am

This is do or die for Resistance franchise in my book. Will it become huge IP like Uncharted (Uncharted 2 made it big) or will it fade away? R1 was solid game, R2 was mediocre. I am speaking about single player. I am SP guy. I really hope they nail it.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 3:45 pm

We’ll do our best to nail it. :-)

Seeing_Red_Again said:

December 7th, 9:12 am

Resistance 3 looks great. What’s the max amount of players in a server this time around? Hopefully not 60, sorry it just was too clustered and didn’t work that well in Resistance 2

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 3:45 pm

It will definitely be lower than 60. Final number is still TBD.

nolramx81 said:

December 7th, 9:12 am

Yey!!!!!
1) co-op through campain may be back!
2) carry all my weapons!!

I’ll be waiting for this game to come up… thanks for the notice!

Stoffinator said:

December 7th, 9:12 am

Looking forward to it. I was a fan of R2 and can’t wait for some footage of 3.

dward818 said:

December 7th, 9:13 am

I can’t wait for this game to come out and I hope they have a release date with the new trailer on Sat. anywho this game is going to be epic.

Vaughn21 said:

December 7th, 9:13 am

Can’t wait for this!

cortesc130 said:

December 7th, 9:14 am

can’t wait!

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 3:52 pm

Yar. It’s all about focus. We wanted to focus on the campaign, so campaign co-op was a no brainer.

Rival_31 said:

December 7th, 9:15 am

Awesome! I hope there might be a beta for the MP!

Blkant said:

December 7th, 9:16 am

It does seem a lot more Resistance: FoM like, but, fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. I will remain hesitant and skeptical still after my disappointment with R2.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 3:57 pm

We will just have to make you a believer!

Velmonte said:

December 7th, 9:17 am

I was about to say. lol
Because Capelli really looks different in those Screenshots.

I look forward to this game, Resistance 3. :)

Shinmigami said:

December 7th, 9:17 am

That is really good. I can not wait. I am really excited for this game. I loved both the co-op and the single player. I hope online co-op is back.

Stalker666_ said:

December 7th, 9:18 am

how did Capelli REALLY survive? since he was a Sentinel he was like Hale, he needed treatment in time or his own infection would spread even more
how did he stay human for 4 years?

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:25 pm

Malikov developed a cure: The Hale vaccine – from the blood of Nathan Hale.

MEGAMANZEROWIL said:

December 7th, 9:19 am

cool game but have a fealing tha they going to revive nathan hale some how in this game or the next game

G-Force08 said:

December 7th, 9:21 am

The part that I knew, but it still sucks reading it again after all of that great news was:

“our Fall 2011 release”

D:

beastbarbour said:

December 7th, 9:22 am

I cant wait!

Wrathbringer6 said:

December 7th, 9:23 am

I’m sad that the online co-op campaign is gone, that was my favourite part of R2! It was frickin’ amazing and TONS of fun when you had a full group of eight going, it will be sorely missed…

nikolai85 said:

December 7th, 9:25 am

i haven’t played Resistance 2 yet (sitting at home in my backlog pile) but Insomniac puts so much into their games (regardless of whether it’s in the arguably wrong direction) that i’m crazy excited for this. Plus, from the sound of it they’ve had some time to step back and reflect on what they want this game to be and what they can do well versus trying to do everything full brown crazy epic. Quality vs quantity works for me!

Lugoves said:

December 7th, 9:27 am

Online Co Op campaign is great for me … then ‘Normal’ Multiplayer and what not is fine. Can’t Wait!

Enforcer_X said:

December 7th, 9:28 am

Co-Op Campaign = WIN!
Day 1

Kchow23 said:

December 7th, 9:28 am

2 player co-op both online and offline? bought…

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:26 pm

yay… if you would pre-order it from one of our fine retail partners such as Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon or Target, that’d be swell. :-D

scotsman002 said:

December 7th, 9:30 am

I don’t care what most people say, R2 was a pretty good game. A little on the short side but that is fine. I can’t wait for R3 now! First game I picked up for PS3 was Resistance… but I got a 60 GB six months after it came out and that was pretty much a must buy at the time.

StealthReborn-- said:

December 7th, 9:30 am

Didn’t I read somewhere here on the blog when it was first announced that the game was coming in Summer of 2011? Now it’s Fall 2011? Ugh – three years for a game is a long time. Don’t worry though, it’s bought. =)

Syrlis said:

December 7th, 9:31 am

we need the trifecta here and your only asuring us two of them
1. weapon wheel
2. co-op spltscreen campaign
3. 4-player splitscreen offline multiplayer <–this is important!

remanutd5 said:

December 7th, 9:32 am

man i cant wait to see gameplay video , screenshoots look good , specially the multiplayer one , campaign online co op is a plus !!! , weapon wheel is back!!!!!

remanutd5 said:

December 7th, 9:34 am

ohhh and please add more Resistance Avatars and a dynamic theme on PSN ASAP

Butters360 said:

December 7th, 9:35 am

@Stalker666_

You are correct, since Cappeli was a Sentinel just like Hale, he would also require periodic inhibitor treatments. I hope that we can get an answer either here or in the game. Also where will Resistance: A Hole In The Sky take place within the timeline?

TRIX_BOL said:

December 7th, 9:35 am

This Capelli Model looks quite peculiar and odd. I read the reason why he looks this way now. Oh well it’s just the game we have to look forward to. Although Me and other fans of the franchise liked the recent models.

Apparently SCE trademarked game Characters are starting to suffer of hand script, yes I am looking at Cole from inFAMOUS 2 as well.

Anyways, Split-Screen co-op sounds a good idea. I’m excited to read/hear more about R3. Can’t wait until it releases.

Kchow23 said:

December 7th, 9:35 am

One last thing, bring back a narrator for the campaign…

WarGod_83 said:

December 7th, 9:37 am

Can’t wait. Single player campaign with a split screen = awesome. Quick question – You don’t have to give a straight answer, Is the campaign as long as R2? i hope you guys make the campaign longer than R2. Also is there going to be any MOVE integration or is this game going to be a 3D game as well? I hope you guys put MOVE integration. It will be a whole new experience killing chimeras by stabbing or punching. Loved R1 and R2,,going to buy R3 :)

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:35 pm

Still hard to say how long it will take because the difficulty isn’t tuned.

Move and 3D support are TBD.

The_FPS said:

December 7th, 9:42 am

Res 3 seems to be on the right path. The grim levels from res2 were some of the best. They were so tense. This whole game sounds tense. I hope ammo is hard to come by.

RedGiant17 said:

December 7th, 9:43 am

Fantastic news! Much appreciated update prior to the big VGA reveal.

I have high hopes for this game. R1 was my first PS3 game and R2 was the first collector’s edition I ever purchased. Looks like R3 will add to a solid foundation of games.

TRIX_BOL said:

December 7th, 9:43 am

I agree with #35 remanutd5

I want to get Resistance Avatars from the PSN Store, or some free ones will be appreciated. ;)
But really, please make and add some Avatars for your hardcore Resistance fans.

Keep up the good work Insomniac games.

ixnine said:

December 7th, 9:46 am

Welp, time to go play Resistance 1, 2 and Retribution all over again.

This was a lot of great info. Thanks, Marcus.

commanderlewis said:

December 7th, 9:48 am

awesome news< looking forward to this.

GamerMoney said:

December 7th, 9:50 am

I know I’m in the minority….but story is sounding like crap! resistance is not a freakin soap opera. Why make capelli married to hale’s sis?! this isn’t no drama show! multiplayer was addicting in R1 still addicting in R2…but I was addicted to skirmish. As long as the 60 player is there or 40 or even 20, i’ll be addicted again

pontarokun22 said:

December 7th, 9:55 am

I’m looking forward to this game.

DaveedT13 said:

December 7th, 9:56 am

Wow, 2 player COOP online and offline, we MUST have MULTIPLES PSN IDs support for OFFLINE COOP! Include this and it’s a BUY dor me!

SONY really have to make that EASIER TO HANDLE for DEVS in an upcoming PS3 update…the PS3 is my console of choice but this is the BIGGEST COMPLAINT I have against the PS3. I’ll be really disapointed if it’s not included soon and not mandatory on PS4 later on the road.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:36 pm

We had multiple PSN log-in for Resistance 2 ya know. :-)

W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J said:

December 7th, 9:56 am

FINALLY.. a developer that actually listens. Thank you for including splitscreen in the campaign. I’ve bought games that wern’t even that good just because it was splitscreen and a game I could play with my friends or wife. The same as passing on good games because they passed on splitscreen even knowing that is what people wanted. (Example being Burnout and their arrogant remark about splitscreen.. if they would add it via patch it would be a definite buy)

I love the Resistance series and now that there is a splitscreen campaign, this is a day 1 purchase for me, so I can support the devs.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:37 pm

We do our best to listen to our fans!

If it’s a day one purchase… would you mind pre-ordering for us? :-D

Rockstarmd said:

December 7th, 9:57 am

Will the amount of weapons you can carry be more like Resistance FOM or more like Resistance 2 ? I really missed how we could carry so many weapons like in the first one and hope you guys go back to that.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

December 7th, 4:37 pm

Weapon Wheel is back and you can carry your entire arsenal.

dragonmagician said:

December 7th, 9:59 am

Although Hale wasn’t really that great of a protagonist, it still would be weird not playing as him in the 3rd iteration.

PAGE 1 2 3