Farpoint

Dec 14

Dec 14

Marvel Pinball Downloadable Today on PSN, See the Blade Table in Action

Zsolt Kigyossy's Avatar Posted by Managing Director, Zen Studios

The Amazing Spider-Man, The Invincible Iron Man, Wolverine and Blade are now available in an epic pinball adventure! Marvel Pinball represents a step up for the pinball genre – the 3D character interaction, the amount of crazy boss battles and modes, along with new scoring systems and social features – it’s an amazing pinball experience.

Now for some Blade action! I personally think the Blade table has some of the most stunning visuals you will ever see on a pinball table. Night mode and UV balls are especially necessary as you play to defeat Deacon Frost, Dracula and hordes of vampires. The pesky Hannibal offers some backup support, but it’s really up to Blade to do the dirty work.

Keep your eyes out for tournament announcements as well as new tables – they are coming soon. If you have not already voted, there is still time to head over to www.marvelpinball.com to cast your vote for the next table. You guys are deciding who comes next, so make your voice heard (Ghost Rider is currently running away with the vote).

Marvel Pinball for PS3 (PSN)Marvel Pinball for PS3 (PSN)

Even though we at ZEN Studios have been making video pinball games for many years, we never stop thinking of new features to make the game better. Marvel Pinball features two new scoring systems which are designed to improve social connectivity and overall competition. The challenge of beating our own personal scores and checking in on your leader board rankings is fun and all, but we thought it would be even better if you had an idea of your overall ranking in the community. To satisfy the craving, we built the Hero Score system which allows you to track your all-time play records and compare to the rest of the community. What about a score that measures how good you and your friends are together? Team Force requires you to band together with friends to rule the Marvel Pinball community. Could this be the beginning of pinball guilds? Disclaimer: Don’t blame us when you start receiving a bunch of random friend requests!

Pinball is a game that stands the test of time, still living beyond the glory days of the arcade and transcending console generations – we hope our love for the genre shines through in every table we release, and hopefully some of that rubs off on you!

Add Your Own

Neil said:

December 14th, 11:14 am

Is this exclusive to PSN?

Neil said:

December 14th, 11:15 am

Just went to the website and saw that it’s not. I think I got this game confused with something else.

mixedkidbx said:

December 14th, 11:18 am

WOOT! Cant wait to buy this game unless you would like to send me a free code. :D PSN: mixedkidbx

December 14th, 11:25 am

If you follow us on Twitter (@zen_studios) we usually link to all the random places on the web giving out codes. 1UP had a contest earlier today, and the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Facebook page will be dishing out a few codes as well.

siriusbee said:

December 14th, 11:20 am

I’m a big fan of Zen Pinball on PSN, and have purchased almost every add-on table that’s been released for it. This also looks very good (although I’m not a big comics fan).

Having said that, I’m disappointed by the distribution model for this. The nice thing about Zen Pinball was that you got the core game/engine, and you could then get additional boards as DLC if you wanted them. This model, however, would seem to require PSN users to re-purchase the core engine for every set of boards that may come out.

Besides the cost front, it also results in a fragmented experience from a usability perspective. It seems to make much more sense to me to launch one pinball game, and select which board I want to play, than to have to launch one, play it, then relaunch another game to play another set of boards.

Why couldn’t you guys have released Pinball FX2 on PSN, then this set of boards as DLC?

December 14th, 11:31 am

It was a decision that we went over time and time again, however we came to the conclusion that we did not want to force people to buy ZEN Pinball if they only wanted to play the Marvel tables. When it comes down to it, each Marvel table is priced the same as the DLC we have released. Hope that answers the question.

ElCapitanAmerica said:

December 14th, 11:26 am

Really would be a shame to do a Ghost Rider one without first doing a Captain America one first :-)

So the game comes with 4 tables, great. The new ones that are made, will they just be additional DLC?

December 14th, 11:32 am

Hey – it’s up to the fans! I suggest you get all the Captain America fans together and vote (www.marvelpinball.com). There will be additional DLC tables in the future!

Kane22_ said:

December 14th, 11:27 am

why is our version a standalone title. while the 360 version gets more why? u want us to pay more for less ?

December 14th, 11:34 am

No, it is the same price as the 360 version. Both are four-table bundles for $10. The difference is the flexibility of the platform, we cannot update ZEN Pinball with the Marvel tables the same way we can in Pinball FX2.

The_FPS said:

December 14th, 11:30 am

This looks great, I want to play but am kinda hesitant because I like what yall did with upgrading pinball FX to FX2 more than buying a whole new game, but I still might eventually pick this up.

BTW – the Zen pinball paranormal table is all sorts of crazy awesome!

December 14th, 11:36 am

So happy you enjoyed Paranormal, I think the amount of flippers makes it quite enjoyable.

saiyanknight87 said:

December 14th, 11:45 am

is that all zen knows how to do make pinball games i had it free from psn+ but it really wasn’t that exciting of a game to me.

December 14th, 11:56 am

Funny question! We know more than pinball games, it’s just that pinball is a real passion of ours. Also released on PSN is Planet Minigolf, which was just nominated for downloadable game of the year, and best use of user generated content. It also works with PS MOVE and is exclusive to PSN. We have other games in the works as well :)

December 14th, 11:58 am

By the way – the nomination was from GameSpot :)

Squirtbot said:

December 14th, 11:51 am

I heard that if someone gets a score of 100 Million on the BLADE table, they’ll release Wesley Snipes from Prison.

FREE BLADE!

Tank_Baked said:

December 14th, 11:53 am

Thanks. I will take this and every table you ever release for it as soon as you release them .

See if you can get some avatars and dynamic themes related to this game . :)

BABYMACHINE69 said:

December 14th, 12:00 pm

will there be a demo

GT-420 said:

December 14th, 12:07 pm

Love Zen pinball, but add me to the list of people disappointed that these tables aren’t on that platform.

Another potential idea may have been to offer two different Zen pinballs, one with the original tables and one with the Marvel tables only and then DLC them all for both sets of users.

Or maybe you wanted to force all the + users to buy this rather than just DLC. That makes more sense from the CFO’s office anyway.

December 14th, 12:11 pm

As we said in a few other replies, it was really about making Marvel Pinball available to everyone, regardless of owning ZEN Pinball or not. We have always taken care of our fans, we hope to continue to do so in the future!

GT-420 said:

December 14th, 12:10 pm

NM most of prev comment. I understand the Marvel tables won’t work with the older Zen code. Still, the core point I tried to make remains.

morph147 said:

December 14th, 12:11 pm

hey thanks for the new tables. i cant wait. as a physics grad student i always love games with great physics behind them like Zen Studios. keep up the great work.

and all i have to say is everyone stop gripping about marvel pinball being on something besides zen pinball. its the same price to download the 4 tables as it is to download the new game so who cares. as long as its fun and enjoyable like their other tables then it shouldnt matter.

December 14th, 12:12 pm

What do you plan to do with your physics degree? That is quite a remarkable field of study.

morph147 said:

December 14th, 12:15 pm

at Zsolt, hopefully something with astrophysics but not 100 percent sure yet.

December 14th, 12:23 pm

Amazing. Obviously the physics aspect in a pinball game is critical, I have come to respect the guys working on the tool sets allowing us to be as realistic as possible. It takes serious brain power.

AlexLucard said:

December 14th, 12:16 pm

I hope in the next DLC table contest we get Man-Thing as an option. MAN-THING!

saiyanknight87 said:

December 14th, 12:20 pm

cool thanks i hope you all do more core friendly games but i can respect your studio’s passion with pinball no harm meant in the question thanks for replying.

December 14th, 12:24 pm

Talking with you guys is one of the best parts of the job. It is very rewarding for us.

NukeAtomrod said:

December 14th, 12:21 pm

Why not sell these tables both ways? The whole shebang in Marvel Pinball and individual tables for Zen Pinball. If the price per table is the same, it’s a win-win.

Oddly enough, the main reason I’m hesitant to get Marvel Pinball is that I want my entire pinball arcade in one place, not scattered about in various programs.

I don’t want to sound too negative about this, because I love your games. Zen Pinball is the best pinball simulator I’ve ever played. It’s probably the best in existence. All I’m saying is – I’d be more likely to buy the Marvel tables as add-ons.

Think about it, okay?

December 14th, 12:26 pm

If you read a few of the other replies from you today, you will see a common theme – we had a tough choice to make, but in the end, we decided to make Marvel Pinball available to everyone and not force them to buy ZEN Pinball. We continue to build the infrastructure so that one day you may be able to have all of your tables in one location!

FfoegNosnibor said:

December 14th, 12:26 pm

I had to think long and hard about what Blade was… Oh yeah, it was that horrible movie with Wesley Snipes. It seems too coincidental that the four tables all feature comic book heros that were in the theaters over the last decade. Freaking kids and their love of vampires. There’s about 30 marvel characters I could rattle off before thinking about Blade,

Not very happy about the decision to fragment this off of Zen. I do not know the details of the XBOX version, but, “you do not want to force people to buy Zen?” Thats a crock. You could give all Zen owners the choice to upgrade their engine for half of the marvel retail instead of fragmenting the games and creating an either/or choice with DLC for Zen and DLC for Marvel.

Only way I’m getting this is if it shows up free for PS+.

December 14th, 12:29 pm

The entire Marvel Universe is jam packed with amazing characters. Blade has always been one of my favorite because there is such a dark side to his personality.

In all honesty, it is not crock, it’s party due to the limitations of the infrastructure in ZEN Pinball. We have taken major steps forward since the release of ZEN Pinball, it simply would not support an integration such as what you have suggested. Hopefully we can gain your confidence in Marvel Pinball (check out some of the reviews – we are getting 8’s and 9’s)!

KwietStorm said:

December 14th, 12:28 pm

Certainly there is a Magneto and an Apocalypse table in the works. Or maybe an Onslaught table themed around duality?

December 14th, 12:32 pm

We are always up for ideas and suggestions! We currently have new tables in the works, and if you want to vote on which comes next, head to http://www.marvelpinball.com. Right now Ghost Rider is running away with it.

T3mpr1x said:

December 14th, 12:33 pm

Having played this game over the past week or so, this is definitely worth your money! I’ve got a review that’s going live in a few hours, it is a blast and I like the new Hero Score and Team Force functionality as well. Day one buy for any pinball or Marvel fan! Keep up the great work Zen Studios. :)

Grouken said:

December 14th, 12:39 pm

You will keep supporting Zen Pinball?

station3fever said:

December 14th, 12:41 pm

Hello Zsolt, good to see you here on the playstation blog.
I have bought every table that You have and I can say I love them all :)
So you made a few more tables, oh yesss that sounds great and I’m loving it.
Ok so you got me all happy and excited and I went to the playstation store to buy the extra tables but, I don’t see them? Did something get delayed?
P.S. thank you Zen Studios for making a fun game plus I love the sound effects/background music especially in “mars table” Bravo.
Oh wait almost forgot are these gonna be on amazon.com since that’s how I purchased my other tables? Thanks again.

December 14th, 12:59 pm

Thanks for your kind words and support!

I do not think the store updated yet, at least it hasn’t here. We find it happens at different times, so we are anxiously waiting.

vegas8333 said:

December 14th, 12:51 pm

Went to go download this and cannot find them any where???
Where are they??
Please send free code for the inconvience…lol
Point me in the right direction cant wait to play them.

December 14th, 1:09 pm

The store just has not updated yet, look for it later today. Not exactly sure what the timing is for the update.

TheGuardianFID said:

December 14th, 12:58 pm

As a man who has about 10,000 comic books, this one’s a no brainer, SOLD!!! 8)

December 14th, 1:09 pm

10,000! That’s incredible. What is your favorite series of all time?

TheGuardianFID said:

December 14th, 1:22 pm

@27

I’m a HUGE Spidey and Hulk Fan and Bats and Supes, among others, but the Webhead is my favorite!!! 8)

TheGuardianFID said:

December 14th, 1:28 pm

Zen pinball was awesome by the way so I expect nothing less from your latest efforts Zsolt, thank you and the team for your hard work!!! 8)

December 14th, 1:35 pm

Thank you. We sincerely hope you enjoy Marvel Pinball.

Ecks said:

December 14th, 1:37 pm

I’ll be buying this as soon as the store updates later. I’ve bought every table for Zen Pinball already, so always looking forward to more tables. I don’t mind that this is a seperate game at all, it’s not like we are paying more than Xbox 360 players are.

One thing I noticed about the newer tables in Zen Pinball is it would ask your initials for the high score table – I found that a bit redundant.

December 14th, 1:41 pm

Regarding the local high score tracker, we wanted to institute an old school score keeper function. Once you fill it with high scores it will not be so redundant, but it will let you keep track of your local scores, and if anyone else wants to play from the same system.

IndySolo66 said:

December 14th, 1:39 pm

MarvelPinball.com says the PSN version is available now. I went to the PSN store and I can’t find it. Has the store updated in sync with the release found on MarvelPinball.com? If so, why isn’t is showing up under New Releases? Where is this game?

December 14th, 1:43 pm

The store may not have updated yet. I think our web team wanted to post the update before they go to bed, it is getting late here in Budapest!

FATHASUN said:

December 14th, 1:41 pm

I’m on my mobile reading this so bear with me. Am I to understand that each table is its own game… Or is it that Marvel has its own game with all the different tables accessible. Id hate to have to continuously exit the game to get from one table to another? Please clarify.

December 14th, 1:45 pm

Marvel Pinball is a stand alone game consisting of 4 tables – Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine and Blade. You will not get kicked out of the game every time you play a new table.

TheGuardianFID said:

December 14th, 1:42 pm

@Zsolt

I’m sure I will, thanks again!!! 8)

plaztiksyke said:

December 14th, 1:43 pm

Can you elaborate on the graphical and audio enhancements in this engine that has the aforementioned ‘new infrastructure’? Zen Pinball looks amazing, so I’m curious how this Marvel edition brings more to the table (pun intended ;))

Zen Pinball is one of my favorite casual titles on PSN, with great local and online multiplayer. I’d love to see a local co-op multiplayer (with additional trophies for that mode) where you each control different sets of flippers on different parts of the board (like the Paranormal table).

Let me put in my vote for Terminator 2, Ghostbusters, Addams Family, Secret of Monkey Island, and Star Trek tables.

PS: Planet Minigolf was SUPER disappointing visually, to me, compared to Zen Pinball; bring that game up to snuff and I’ll totally buy it.

December 14th, 1:54 pm

When discussing the infrastructure, it’s not so much the graphics and audio that present the limitations. It’s with the ingestion system of new content, and the added social features that we have developed over the course of time. When you play Marvel Pinball, you will find automatic notifications during gameplay alerting you that you are closing in on a friends high score, or your old high score. Currently, we cannot do this in ZEN Pinball.

We will take your ideas regarding co-op multiplayer into consideration, along with your feedback for Planet Minigolf (which we are proud to say is up for two Game of the Year awards from Gamespot).

Good votes for future tables. We would love to work with any of those brands.

thrawn3d said:

December 14th, 1:55 pm

I would love to see in the future maybe you release a retro version using old tables from like the 80’s and 90’s.

VanKoRn said:

December 14th, 2:05 pm

I haven’t enjoyed a pinball game as much as Zen Pinball since Balls of Steel on the pc many moons ago. You guys are great!

mixedkidbx said:

December 14th, 2:33 pm

I just wanna say that i love Zen Pinball and have bought all the DLC. Def will be buying Marvel Pinball.

Also read your comments and the one comment by my fellow gamer. YES please please please bring Star Trek tables to pinball!! OMG please!!

Lone_Coyote said:

December 14th, 2:37 pm

I really like your business model, actually, i just signed in to tell you so… its SO simple, but yet very complex, interesting and by the looks of it, quite effective… well, at least from the eye of a lawyer

I dont live in the US, so it is a shame that i cannot get a US card in order to purchase your game and enjoy it, lets see if i can get a promotional code or something on a site

cheers and keep up the good work!

MugglesFTW said:

December 14th, 4:11 pm

@ FfoegNosnibor

“Blade? Really?? Blade???? I grew up reading comic books galore (almost exclusively Marvel), collecting Comic Book cards, and whatnot.”

Fortunately, it’s the best table in the set, with a lot of attention to detail.

The Wolverine and Hulk movies all sucked. Doesn’t mean the pinball tables will suck…

“You could give all Zen owners the choice to upgrade their engine for half of the marvel retail instead of fragmenting the games and creating an either/or choice with DLC for Zen and DLC for Marvel.”

You make it sound so easy. You should develop games.

“Only way I’m getting this is if it shows up free for PS+.”

Your choice. And your loss, IMO. .

Prepared to fork out for PS+, but not for 4 pinball tables at $10? Really? OK.

ptuck874 said:

December 14th, 4:12 pm

I have no idea why people are complaining about 2 different programs for the Zen and Marvel pinballs, I have no problem having 1 program for each, but I have to agree with a poster above that the Paranormal table is the best one yet, we are downloading the Marvel tables now, hopefully that will be even better, thanks for all the hard work guys!!!

AutomaticOcelot said:

December 14th, 4:37 pm

After some thinking and reading I decided to get the Marvel Pinball tables on PSN, as I already have ZEN Pinball. Here is probably not the best place for me to delve into why I like certain games on my PSN account rather than XBL. But I’m glad Zen is making good strides in developing new tables, and advancing the digital pinball genre. If it was so easy to go out and play the real thing I would, but you are doing the right thing by making it a uniquely digital experience!

thrawn3d said:

December 14th, 5:09 pm

The Blade table is awesome, I havnt even touched any of the others ones yet. Anyone who is upset over it being chosen over other Marvel characters needs to give it a shot.

Chris Baker said:

December 14th, 5:37 pm

Couldn’t agree more!

dr_sasquatch said:

December 14th, 5:54 pm

I’m intrigued but I’d hope you’d find a way to make these tables available under Zen Pinball. I’ve bought every table you’ve made for ZP… and I’d like to keep on buying them under the same umbrella.

erl-man said:

December 14th, 9:01 pm

Too bad the game isn’t incorporated into Zen Pinball. I buy every table for Zen Pinball but will pass on this because it was made into a separate game. I would’ve bought this if it was DLC for Zen…I like the suggestion someone else made of making both DLC and a stand alone game.

slewis7 said:

December 16th, 12:42 pm

I am enjoying all 4 tables in this and I will definitely be biying any additional Marvel themed tables by Zen if they are anywhere near this quality. Thanks!

Sculpture81 said:

December 17th, 3:21 pm

Hi from Germany :)

I have all Tables from Zen Pinball bought and def. nice Work !!!

Marvel is awesome and the price is OK cause 4 Tables included ;-)

But i Have a Question ” is it Possible to make the same Menu like in Zen Pinball like Own Musik ???” the same with Online Playing with friends…. it is now not so easy to play a hosted Game alone with friends…

would be nice if you answer :-)

GreetZZ from ” snowly ” Berlin 8-) and please go on with the Work… your games are fantastic made !!!