PlayStation VR

Dec 16

Dec 16

Killzone 3 Meets the PlayStation Move sharp shooter

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Last week saw the introduction of the PlayStation Move sharp shooter, an upcoming peripheral which transforms the PlayStation Move motion controller into a sleek assault rifle designed for hardcore shooters such as Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4. The sharp shooter’s feature set is extensive, so I went hands-on to learn more about its functionality and (surprisingly easy) setup process. Guerrilla Games Managing Director Hermen Hulst and I field tested the PS3’s new weapon of choice.

PlayStation Move: Sharp Shooter

PlayStation Move: Sharp ShooterPlayStation Move: Sharp Shooter

Developed with input from the FPS experts at Guerrilla Games and Zipper Interactive, the sharp shooter is a snap to assemble: you secure a navigation controller into the foregrip, then fasten the PlayStation Move motion controller into the “barrel,” which connects to a small digital port on the bottom of the PlayStation Move called the extension connector. In comparison, the PlayStation Move Shooting Attachment is mechanical; the sharp shooter’s use of the extension connector means that buttons can be remapped to other areas of the sharp shooter. For example, the triangle and square buttons on the motion controller have been re-mapped to buttons on the sharp shooter, providing an identical experience for right- and left-handed users as key buttons are duplicated on both sides of the peripheral.

PlayStation Move: Sharp ShooterPlayStation Move: Sharp Shooter

The sharp shooter is customizeable in other ways: a handy firing mode switch will enable game developers to support single-shot and burst-fire settings; the extendable stock enables you to choose to shoot from the hip or from the shoulder; and the Move button (located beneath the trigger) can be “locked” if it’s not needed. Hulst also pointed out that Killzone 3 enables players to customize the PlayStation Move motion controls to suit their play style. “We made sure that the default settings are very accessible, but for more advanced users, we made sure that deadzones and sensitivity settings are customizable.” As an example, Hulst notes that he prefers to make the horizontal deadzone “very small” to enable faster turning of his character.

PlayStation Move: Sharp Shooter

The darker box you see here is the “Deadzone,” and its size is fully adjustable. Within this area, you can move your crosshair freely. Once you get outside the borders, your character will turn.

Then there are the subtler fit-and-finish details you may not notice immediately. A pump-action mechanism located under the barrel could be used as a reload function, or alternately may serve another secondary function depending on the game designer’s wishes. The RL button located under the gun’s clip can be used to reload. And thanks to the PlayStation Move’s motion capabilities, you can thrust the gun forward to initiate a close combat attack, or tilt the gun onto its side to activate a reload. If you’re sensing an emphasis on total immersion in the experience, you’re on the right track. Combined with Killzone 3’s stereoscopic 3D and first-person perspective, “the sharp shooter literally puts you right in the middle of the action,” Hulst observed. “It’s like getting your cake and eating it too.” That doesn’t mean players using 3D and the sharp shooter will have an advantage in Killzone 3’s multiplayer battlefields — Hulst noted that “the guy with the 2D screen and DualShock 3 can play just as well.”

Killzone 3 for PS3: MAWLER battle

There were also some updates for Killzone 3, which Hulst confirmed will support two-player split-screen couch co-op for the entire campaign — a feature long requested by Killzone fans. Considering Killzone 2’s buddy assist maneuvers, such as reviving A.I. partners and boosting your buddy up onto ledges, Killzone 3’s co-op support is a natural addition. But don’t think co-op play will make the campaign a cakewalk. “Because the A.I. in Killzone 3 is so autonomous,” Hulst warned, “you never know what to expect. You and your partner will need to keep out-strategizing and outsmarting the Helghast.”

Killzone 3 for PS3: MAWLER battleKillzone 3 for PS3: MAWLER battle

Hulst then gave us a sneak peek at the second-to-last level in Killzone 3 called “The Reckoning.” This goosebump-inducing set piece pits the battered ISA forces against the MAWLR, a 280 foot-tall, arachnoid Helgast mech that tears apart the environment with energy beams and mortars. “When fighting the MAWLR, you’re never safe,” Hulst cautioned. “You can try to hide in bunkers but they’ll be destroyed; you can try to hide behind the nearby transformers but you could get electrocuted.” Your secret weapon comes in the form of Killzone 3’s WASP rocket launcher, which you use to pick off the massive mech’s cooling panels. Don’t expect this to be a cut-and-dried affair: the MAWLR confrontation is a lengthy, multi-layered boss battle, and the battle will rage from ground to the air and back to ultimately bring the Helghast’s war machine to its knees.

Killzone 3 hits the PS3 on February 22nd, 2011, and is fully playable with the PlayStation Move and the sharp shooter at launch, with SOCOM 4 following suit later in 2011. What questions do you have about the sharp shooter’s features and functionality? Let us know in the comments and we’ll dig up answers.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

LegendaryGab said:

December 16th, 11:43 am

Hey guys. I’m getting a PS3 for christmas because I was tired of my xbox. I created my account on playstation.com. Can I recover my account when i plug in my PS3? Oh BTW Killzone 3 FTW!

yazter said:

December 16th, 11:46 am

Meh.

bbonds_007 said:

December 16th, 11:47 am

@1

Yup, when you start your PS3 and create a PSN account, the first screen will ask if you want to create a brand new one or use an existing one, just click the existing one and type in your info.

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 11:48 am

@1 good choice dude xbox is for kids only ps3 is for elite gamers… OMG i love KZ3 love the beta…. xbox can have their gears of war 3… but we can have kz3, littlebigplanet2, ff14, ff versus, twisted metal, resistance 3, uncharted 3, the last guardian, motor storm apo, socom 4 EXCLUSIVELY on PS3

that-acmilan-guy said:

December 16th, 11:48 am

@LegendayGab yeah its universal, also u can sue it on the PSP.

madtyger said:

December 16th, 11:50 am

I’m glad to see that this was actually designed with Killzone and Socom in mind, hopefully this will mean that the buttons that are used in the game will be easy to access unlike the pistol style shooting attachment.

December 16th, 12:08 pm

Yup, very accessible. The Shooting Attachment is more for simpler, arcade-style shooters, but the sharp shooter is designed for a full-on FPS title.

BLACKBIBLE said:

December 16th, 11:51 am

the Gun was Awesome, The Playstation Holiday show case was awesome as well. Here’s some more pictures from the event http://gamerfitnation.com/playstation-2010-holiday-showcase/

Heisem said:

December 16th, 11:51 am

This is Sparta! 2:18

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 11:53 am

uhm online coop for campaign??? please say yes…

December 16th, 12:08 pm

Couch split-screen co-op is what’s in.

rgoff31 said:

December 16th, 11:53 am

So what is the deal with Move Killzone MP gamers? Will they play with everyone else or will they be in their own little groups?

Unreal dealt with the issue with Mouse and Keyboards and let you decide to play with them or not play with them.

December 16th, 1:13 pm

Checked into this (thanks for the patience) and there are no segregated servers — everyone plays together. The Killzone team is confident that the playing field is level between the controller types, however.

boneyardweller89 said:

December 16th, 11:53 am

This really makes me want one! =)

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 11:54 am

I like the last weapon its so freaking SICK!

EggySong85 said:

December 16th, 11:59 am

I’m not buying it (the sharp shooter), literally or figuratively. I’ll have to try it somewhere first and that will probably not happen.

colstripcapn said:

December 16th, 12:03 pm

Will it actually shoot where you point, or does moving the controller just move the camera in that direction?

LegendaryGab said:

December 16th, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I look forward to an awesome year with PS3 and i’ll see you online starting December 25th!
P.S. If you Guys want to start a Killzone 3 Clan, I’m your man!

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

December 16th, 12:06 pm

WILL KILLZONE 3 HAVE CO-OP ONLINE..ATLEAST SOME SIDE MISSIONS LIKE MW2 SPEC-OPS..I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY A MISSION O TWO WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WITHOUT HAVING MY SCREEN CUT IN HALF..SINCE WE ALL OWN PS3’S ;)

BEASTXJASON said:

December 16th, 12:07 pm

My question is, is there a move button near the trigger? or on the gun anywhere? This is a big one for me as it would allow Time crisis to be played with this etc. Please answer

December 16th, 12:09 pm

Yup — Move button is right under the trigger. It’s like a secondary trigger.

marllow said:

December 16th, 12:07 pm

I think my wife will make fun of me, but I really wanna get that gun.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

December 16th, 12:08 pm

OOH I ALSO FORGOT TO ADD..KZ3 AND ALL THE NEW PS3 EXCLUSING..FTW!!

Shacojin said:

December 16th, 12:09 pm

The Sharpshooter is pretty sweet I must say, but I still like MOVE Precision Shot 3 *BLACK*. But Holy **** Killzone 3 looks F***in Amazing.

LegendaryGab said:

December 16th, 12:11 pm

Hey sid, I wanna play a game against or with you when the game comes out? Deal?
… It would be my christmas present! :)

December 16th, 12:26 pm

I’ll be there with bells on! And the skulls of my defeated enemies…

BEASTXJASON said:

December 16th, 12:12 pm

Thanks for the response. Going to go pre-order 4 of these on the way home. Me and the boy will enjoy this tremendously and got some relatives whos kids will appreciate this for Time crisis and KZ3 when it hits.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

December 16th, 12:15 pm

COUCH SPLIT SCREEN IS IN..BUT ONLINCE CAMPAIGN CO-OP IS THE FUTURE! BESIDES I CANT REALLY HAVE VISITORS EVERYDAY JUST TO PLAY KZ3 WITH ME AND MY CRANKY ANTISOCIAL PREGNANT FIANCE WOULD AGREE :P

Zinacef said:

December 16th, 12:16 pm

What about a video where we can see it in action with someone using it?

December 16th, 12:26 pm

Soon :)

Zangalou said:

December 16th, 12:19 pm

just one question, the price ?

TheGuardianFID said:

December 16th, 12:19 pm

As Batman would say, “does it come in black?” JK, I have the Helgast edition of the game pre-ordered, the sharp shooter is a no brainer, SOLD!!! 8)

ZephLaeliash said:

December 16th, 12:22 pm

Looks pretty sweety. Just another reason why Playstation Move is going to blow the 360’s Kinect out of the water.

marllow said:

December 16th, 12:22 pm

Will there be a Killzone 3 Sharpshooter Bundle?

blacK_jack1 said:

December 16th, 12:23 pm

Question ! dose this awesome Looking PlayStation Move sharp shooter have rumble?

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

December 16th, 12:24 pm

I’m sorry, but Killzone 3 not having online co op is stupid. Great job on supporting split screen, but co op is a must, omitting it is a huge mistake.

DeadCell34 said:

December 16th, 12:24 pm

Retractable stock, more accessible buttons, and is that a fire mode selector on the right? Wow, this thing looks promising, very good design.

How durable is it? It isn’t made of some cheap plastic is it?

December 16th, 12:28 pm

Felt solid to me.

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 12:26 pm

Sid: Couch split-screen co-op is what’s in

@Sid: so how can i play with my cousin at canada :( im in US.. please put online coop even it can only invite on friends list PLEASE!!!!!! T_T

Zezzler said:

December 16th, 12:27 pm

COOP!? Awesome. I can’t wait to get my hands on this. Is there going to be splitscreen offline multiplayer with bots as well? I would love that. Great to hear that the game is on the right track.

nikrel said:

December 16th, 12:31 pm

How heavy is it?

December 16th, 1:22 pm

It feels sturdy, but it’s light and comfortable. I guess the answer is, “heavy enough, but not too heavy.” Kind of right in the middle.

Airwalkinman17 said:

December 16th, 12:31 pm

OMG! YES YES YES!!!
split screen co-op for the ENTIRE campaign!
I must be dreaming!
Going to pre-order RIGHT NOW!!!
That guns looks amazing too. I’m gonna go and buy it also!
Awesome.Thank you Guerilla Games!
I was gonna pass up on it because of missing features (like the aforementioned split screen), but now i’m totally pumped for it and cannot wait ’til February 22.
This and Resistance 3 ftw!!!!!!!!

December 16th, 1:14 pm

Yeah — a great 2011 for sure. Glad you’re stoked!

Eddacosta said:

December 16th, 12:32 pm

I hope it comes early February so I can get it for my birthday.

I wonder if it will work with the shoot, that’d be like killing a fly with a cannon.

December 16th, 1:22 pm

Yup, it comes out in February — possibly a little bit before Killzone 3 (which is 2/22)

Airwalkinman17 said:

December 16th, 12:34 pm

forget the haters!
people crying about a lack of onilne co-op can shove it!
sorry. just my 2 cents. its a good feature, but for me the split screen option is enough.

One question:
are the buttons on the sharp shooter digital inputs or are they rigged to where if you pull the trigger a mechanism then pulls the MOVE T button?

December 16th, 1:11 pm

Totally digital on the sharp shooter — it connects via a tiny digital connector, so there’s vastly more functions it can perform.

aro52 said:

December 16th, 12:37 pm

Looking at that settings menu, can the dead zone be reduced to 0%…? I can not stand the deadzone concept in these motion gaming shooters. It feels like you have to drag the screen over, and then figure out aiming — super slow target acquisition makes it a chore! (Basically, you have to move 60 degrees in a direction, to aim at a target that was only at 20 degrees.)

December 16th, 1:12 pm

Yup, you can (or *just* over 0%). The deadzone stuff works nicely IMO because you can freely move your target reticule without moving the camera, giving you the ability to quickly and easily draw a bead. But if it’s a mouse-like experience you want, drop that deadzone. I encourage you to experiment with the deadzones and sensitivities to find the best balance — it’s pretty fun, actually. :)

NIGHTKNIGHTNITE said:

December 16th, 12:37 pm

That looks pretty fun to use actually.

scorpio182 said:

December 16th, 12:37 pm

This looks really cool. I’m not a FPS fan but I would like to try this setup as it looks like it would be fun.

Keep up the great work SONY.

Proud to be a PS3 owner.

December 16th, 1:22 pm

Thanks! Proud to have you as a player.

DaMostWanted786 said:

December 16th, 12:39 pm

WOW! Just Imagining it feels real! SO GETTING THIS!

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 12:40 pm

@35 hmmm how can i use the coop campaign because all of my cousins is not living here… and i am only one here at the apartment

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

December 16th, 12:42 pm

@35…WE ARE ONLY “ASKING” BECAUSE PEOPLE, UNLIKE YOU..THINK ONLINE CO-OP IS A BETTER OPTION.DONT GET ME WRONG I DONT MIND MY FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER SITTING NEXT TO ME AND PLAYING A GAME TOGETHER..I JUST DONT LIKE HAVING MY 52″ BRAVIA CUT IN HALF! AND ALSO ITS JUST MORE CONVIENIENT TO PLAY IN YOU HOME WITH BOXERS AND A TANK TOP :P BESIDES THIS IS THE 3RD KILLZONE..THIS GAME SHOULD BE UP TO PAR WITH ONLINE..CO-OP CAMPAIGN SHOULD BE A MUST IN EVERY GAME OUT! ESSPECIALLY PS3 EXCLUSIVE SHOOTERS AND THATS MY 2CENTS!

December 16th, 1:23 pm

Thanks, I’ll pass that feedback on.

Lara-Croft said:

December 16th, 12:49 pm

I will be buying this for sure I just wish it came in black.

RockToonz said:

December 16th, 12:52 pm

@35 because you have someone to play with the coop BUT how about the persons like me living alone??? hmmm you only think for yourself…

MLFlumic said:

December 16th, 12:55 pm

Nice, how much reais is it?

AhoyThere said:

December 16th, 1:04 pm

Interesting, but, the stickers on it make it look cheap.

December 16th, 10:53 pm

The stickers are optional! They come with the gun and you can choose from ISA/Helghast versions (or none at all).

ARC_Stig said:

December 16th, 1:07 pm

:( That really sucks that KZ3 comes out the day after my b-day…lol

Huuuze said:

December 16th, 1:10 pm

Speaking as someone who normally shies away from FPS’s, I’m really excited about this peripheral. However, Kotaku had the following comment about it:

“Because your look is controlled by where you’re pointing the gun, it starts to feel like you’re pushing the screen around with the tip of you gun. That means if you’re looking around a corner or around in a field, you’re aim is going to be slightly off when you first spot a threat.”

Sid, can you comment on this sensation? Do you concur? Be honest! :-)

December 16th, 1:28 pm

Depends on how you set up the deadzones — that’s what they’re talking about. The default setup is a balance between free-aiming on the screen and pushing the cursor to the right or left to turn. If you crank down the size of the deadzone, you’ll get much closer to that speedy, mouse-like movement. Experiment!

J-Wat said:

December 16th, 1:12 pm

Playing with 3D and the sharp shooter will be pretty cool. There should be a weapon in Killzone 3 that looks like your character is holding a sharp shooter.

PAGE 1 2 3