Farpoint

Dec 21

Dec 21

MotorStorm Apocalypse Dev Diary Details The Festival, New Gameplay Video

Matt Southern's Avatar Posted by Game Director, Evolution Studios

We teamed up with the guys in the video production department at Studio Liverpool to produce three video diaries focusing on the two main modes in the upcoming MotorStorm Apocalypse. Both modes have been present in every MotorStorm game, but we’re trying to do a lot more with them this time round. This one is all about Festival mode, which is our version of a ‘Campaign.’

There’s a ton of unseen game footage in this video that I hope you like and also some glimpses into the recording of the original soundtrack. It features Paul ‘Rushy’ Rustchynsky, our Lead Designer and handling design guru, and Simon ‘Barlos’ Barlow, our invaluable Assistant Game Director who looks after big chunks of the gameplay features.

We call our more flexible free-play mode ‘Wreckreation,’ and it needs two video diaries to fully explain. They’ll follow soon. For now, enjoy our first video diary focusing on The Festival!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

footballrule said:

December 21st, 11:25 am

Looks great! Can’t wait!

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 11:34 am

Thanks! There’s a lot of hard work going into it right now so it will look even better when it’s released in Spring next year!

freddyrivas said:

December 21st, 11:26 am

i gotta say this game is starting to look amazing i still dont own any of the other 3 titles but definitely time to opt in

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 11:42 am

There’s no time like the present – especially with an apocalypse imminent. ;-)

footballrule said:

December 21st, 11:28 am

Hopefully we will see a MotorStorm Apocalypse Playstation Home space sometime soon. :)

Seeing_Red_Again said:

December 21st, 11:31 am

Wow, this looks great. Cant wait to get it

Croash said:

December 21st, 11:34 am

This looks amazing, it is the first Motorstorm title that I consider buying.
Evolution Studios has done a great job, kudos to you guys.
It will be great to try out the demo when it hits the PSN.

KidCommando said:

December 21st, 11:38 am

I got the first Motorstorm but skipped the second. I WILL be buying this game though as it looks crazy insane.

Who knew the Apocalypse could be so much fun.

footballrule said:

December 21st, 11:39 am

I must admit, this will be my first Motorstorm title. I have tried the others via the PSN Demos but never decided to buy them. I will be sure to pick this title up for sure! :)
Kudos Evolution Suudios!

remanutd5 said:

December 21st, 11:39 am

FACKKKKK looks freaking INSANE !!!!!!! this video MUST be on PSN ASAP , i need to watch it in 1080P , im buying my 3D TV to play Motorstorm Apocalypse , are the Dev Dairy videos on 3D as well ? man my anticipation to have the game on my ps3 is trough the roof !!!! BRUTAL off road racing at its very best , LUNATICS UNITE!!!!!

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 11:48 am

We’re doing what we can so that the MotorStorm videos released on the blog can be released on PlayStation.Store.

Great to see your enthusiasm and thanks for the comment remanutd5!

remanutd5 said:

December 21st, 11:41 am

Diary , my bad , too freaking excited lol

ArcaneAltair said:

December 21st, 11:42 am

Wow. This looks amazing. Definitely going to have to check this out.

FredNation said:

December 21st, 11:44 am

Just beautiful! I hope theres a demo and pre-order items!

KVG88 said:

December 21st, 11:46 am

Wow… I haven’t felt this much love for a racing game since Carmageddon!!!

RyuuFox said:

December 21st, 11:47 am

OMG! I have all the motorsorms even arctic edge on my psp! I’m a huge addict xD This game Look Freaking AWESOME!!! You guys are brilliant with ideas!

dragonmagician said:

December 21st, 11:47 am

When is the release date? There are already too many cool games in Q1, so hopefully this comes in Q2.

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 11:55 am

The final release date is yet to be confirmed, but MotorStorm Apocalypse is scheduled to release in Spring 2011.

Hitokiri_03 said:

December 21st, 11:50 am

There will be tracks that looks like the Air tracks on Pacific Rift ?

Because that tracks are awesome.

rebeljd said:

December 21st, 11:51 am

This is looking to be my first Motorstorm title purchase and it looks awesome! Great job in broadening the experience in this racer and bringing the thrill to the city. Love it.

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 12:16 pm

Thanks! We’ve made a great effort to add more depth to it also, which you’ll learn more about in follow-up blogs next year!

brooklyniteOne said:

December 21st, 11:52 am

The real questions are will there be wheel support, YouTube export, or a replay mode? A replay mode was sorely missed from the last game. Think of the photos that we could have taken if we could save replays, watch them later and snap photos of the action?!?!

poodude said:

December 21st, 11:53 am

My friends and I are going to have sooooo much fun with this next year!

Heisem said:

December 21st, 11:53 am

I think i now understand what they want to achieve with this new iteration of the series…maybe this one is worth buying because i really enjoyed the first one, sad it never had trophy support

megachevpro said:

December 21st, 11:53 am

man, this game looks so awesome. You guys rock!

bbonds_007 said:

December 21st, 11:55 am

I dont know, seems a bit too unorganized chaos.

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 12:31 pm

It’s certainly intense and there is a lot of unpredictability that you’ll have to read and react to, but I don’t think it’s ever so chaotic as to be detrimental to the experience.

Carefully designed and well balanced multiple-route tracks are at the heart of MotorStorm and even on the most dynamic tracks you can still appreciate this.

Hitokiri_03 said:

December 21st, 11:57 am

The differences between difficulty levels are the storyline and the AI only, or there will be different tracks (or things happening on the tracks) too ?

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 12:50 pm

All of the above! The three stories are interwoven in such a way that each provides a completely unique point of view on how the earthquake transforms the city.

So even though you’ll visit familiar districts you’ll experience them at different points of the weekend, and because the damage is persistent over that weekend you’ll experience drastically different races in the same areas of the city when you play thru with different characters.

sethchilders said:

December 21st, 11:59 am

@21

Not for Motorstorm, it ain’t. Although they have probably outdone themselves with this, Motorstorm is all about crazy off-road racing.

Personally I can’t wait to get it, and now I’m even more excited to play it now.

HeavyD-Love said:

December 21st, 12:03 pm

Holy Hell that looks friggin’ awesome

King89x said:

December 21st, 12:05 pm

i never got the 2 games on the ps3 just play the demos but i did get artic edge on the psp and its CRAZY!!! best racing game on the psp just cuz of the mood of the game. and this game looks just like artic edge but urban and with a bit of split second in the mix. CANT WAIT TO GET THIS!!!!

good job guys

JLP_M said:

December 21st, 12:05 pm

I can’t wait for this! 2011 is Sonys year!

niner4life9 said:

December 21st, 12:15 pm

I hope it is easier to play then the first two. I couldn’t finish either one because near the end of the games you had to run each race perfect or else you wouldn’t win. It got to where it wasn’t fun at all.

bankai-steve said:

December 21st, 12:19 pm

Do I recall correctly that a demo will be available before launching the game?

Teepo_64 said:

December 21st, 12:23 pm

WOW. Just amazing. Will we have a custom soundtrack option?

I would love that option too!

Matt Southern's Avatar

Jamie Brayshaw said:

December 21st, 12:57 pm

Custom soundtracks *will* be optional, although the original score and remix for the soundtrack is so incredible that you won’t even want to use it. ;-)

Stinkinmushroom said:

December 21st, 12:25 pm

That just looks… awesome! And the soundtrack sounds great as usual.

T-Jani said:

December 21st, 12:26 pm

please add xmb status updates like Need fo speed:HP, so you can see what mode your friends are playing during the game.

HaMmOdY said:

December 21st, 12:41 pm

I really love MotorStorm, but the speed of the cars is just stupid. you drive with intense and hitting X for nitros but when you let X off you realize you’re driving 40 KM/H loool. seriously gimme the feeling of the speed, Gimme Fuel.

Dr_Dekes21 said:

December 21st, 12:43 pm

When will the pre-order bonus be live on amazon…etc?

SykoTech said:

December 21st, 12:43 pm

Good grief. The amount of action going on is insane. Seems like the soundtrack will be very special too.

May be time for me to get into the MotorStorm franchise.

xXiRoNcHaOzXx said:

December 21st, 12:54 pm

man this game is going 2 b so freken awsum

scorpio182 said:

December 21st, 1:01 pm

Looks awesome!!!

I own both motorstorms for the ps3 but have to admit i didnt play them for too long…let hope this one changes that.

x-former said:

December 21st, 1:26 pm

So i will not have the ability to pick the type of vehicle I want for each race???
The game picks it for me??? (using the bike vs big rigs example mentioned in the video)

Please tell me it’s not so!!

typikal82 said:

December 21st, 1:31 pm

Pfft, custom soundtracks. Who needs those when you have rare kick ass remixes from MotorStorm!

Can’t wait to see what’s on there.

D-Squad3 said:

December 21st, 1:38 pm

OMG that’s freaking awesome!

iWarMachine10 said:

December 21st, 1:47 pm

WOOWWW F%”#ING insane!!! i was skeptical about this game, but now guys give me a release date and i’m buying it ASAP!

theultimatenub said:

December 21st, 1:53 pm

this is the most insane racing game ever and i LOVE IT! i am so getting this!!

King_KDawgg said:

December 21st, 2:07 pm

Pacific Rift is my favorite racing game this gen (maybe ever). My birthday is in April, so hopefully this will come out in time for me to get it as a gift.

I’m assuming 4-player split-screen is back? I played Pacific Rift split-screen a lot.

Seiryuki2002 said:

December 21st, 2:39 pm

Man, I’ve always loved the MotorStorm series. I have MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and I always feel the adrenaline playing that game.

For some reason, I share the same feelings for this series. As kids, we enjoy playing with the physics of objects in the sand and mud. The mess, chaos, damage, crashes and rough and rugged entertainment we had with our toy cars in the mud when we were kids…Evolution Studios have replicated that feeling!

I’ve always wanted the original MotorStorm, but it was depressing having to go through all the loading through menus. I guess I must feel that way after playing PR for so long ^_^.

This game simply out-did PR just from this first dev. diary. Just hurry and release the other diaries.

While you’re doing that, I’ll just go and watch this diary over and over until you release the next one…and…I think I’ll go borrow the original MotorStorm from my friend tomorrow.

Keep up the excellent work Evolution Studios!

Btw, is there a way to share a ‘game concept/idea’ with Sony? I have a dream game in my head for several years now and I think the PS4 may be able to handle the concept. Thanks.

TallCrowe said:

December 21st, 2:49 pm

Looks great. I will return to Pacific Rift in the meantime to brush up my skills. You brits know what you’re doing.

MARfin2 said:

December 21st, 2:52 pm

Why is there an airplane still flying in the city? Wan’st the place evacuated? I’m not complaining, crashing planes are always awesome, just wondering why its there.

Seiryuki2002 said:

December 21st, 4:02 pm

Hey, I remember reading somewhere about the online ability to get experience points not only for racing well but also for damaging opponents. Is that still in?

I’m a good/decent racer, but I’m a lunatic and I think I speak for all lunatics when I say that we will unite to trash every online opponent on the course!!!

So…umm…will you still cater to us and give us experience for being proper MotorStorm opponents?

Cheers! ^_^

NotoriousGamer said:

December 21st, 4:34 pm

demo soon please. or beta for online for plus members!!

BallinOutTheBox said:

December 21st, 4:40 pm

Looks awesome, keep up the good work guys! Played the demo for the first game like crazy when I first got my Playstation 3 and I bought and played the 2nd game for a long time after it came out. Really looking forward to Apocalypse. It’s amazing to see the evolution of the series over time. From the middle of the desert to a crumbling urban environment. Interested in the 3rd game and what is next to come.

remanutd5 said:

December 21st, 5:03 pm

oh and please theres need to be another Motorstorm game for the next PSP ( PSP 2 ) and with it the ability to play with our PSN friends

Heiseman said:

December 21st, 6:39 pm

Will this game run in full 1080p like I heard in an earlier interview?

Also, any news regarding wheel support, remapping button controls, adjusting steering deadzone and true first person view for bikes and atv’s?

Looking forward to the game.

PAGE 1 2