Spider-Man PS4

Dec 23

Dec 23

Farewell, Canal House

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar Posted by Producer, Guerrilla Games

Early next year, Guerrilla will relocate to a new building. It’s been a long time coming, but we’ve finally outgrown the Canal House on the Herengracht. When we moved in here we had more space than we knew what to do with – two adjoined buildings, a monumental garden house, six stories of seventeenth century architecture and a reinforced basement which had doubled as a bank vault at one point. Now, every nook and cranny of the Canal House is filled with high-tech gadgetry, network cables, dev kits, monitors and action figures.

We knew the writing was on the wall when our power needs became so demanding that our neighbors started to experience brownouts. Adding an electrical transformer allowed us to at least finish Killzone 3 without bringing down the whole block, but the rising number of employees and the start of a new IP meant it was only going to be a temporary reprieve. (And we’re still hiring, by the way. You can check out guerrilla-games.com/jobs for a full overview of available positions.)

Anyway, we’ll miss the old Canal House – not just for its quaint atmosphere, but for its unique construction as well. Between the parallel-but-uneven stairwell columns and the mixed-height floors, it took new employees months to get a grasp of the layout. Many were the times an intern would get hopelessly lost, ending up in the wrong room or even on the wrong floor after returning from a meeting. The Canal House would’ve made a pretty good multiplayer level, but somehow we never got around to including it in a game.

As for the studio itself, Guerrilla isn’t going far: 700 meters to the east to be precise, to a lovely location overlooking Rembrandt Square. By sheer coincidence, the new building also used to be a bank – but unlike the Canal House, this one was constructed in the twentieth century. That means there will be plenty of space for high-tech gadgetry, network cables, dev kits, monitors, action figures and anything else we might choose to bring along.

canalhouse01

See you in the New Year, everyone!

Add Your Own

remanutd5 said:

December 23rd, 9:06 am

Happy Holidays Guerrilla Games , wishing you the best and i cant wait to play Killzone 3 and to know more about your new IP , PSP 2 launch title perhaps ? lol

mcbuttz78 said:

December 23rd, 9:07 am

lol used to be a bank.. so did you look and see if any gold was left behind in the vaults..

and are those black tiles or or>>??

wocyob said:

December 23rd, 9:14 am

ohhh new IP you say?…. cant wait to hear more and happy holidays

dragonmagician said:

December 23rd, 9:14 am

Expansion means more games, right? Your PS3 engine is amazing, please make more games with it.

Happy Holidays!

kosluftar said:

December 23rd, 9:16 am

Congratulations on the move. Hope you guys have a great Christmas and New Year.

Will we be hearing anything about the new IP come E3?

GJD21 said:

December 23rd, 9:19 am

Guerrilla is based in Amsterdam, correct?

TheSkuz said:

December 23rd, 9:20 am

@mcbuttz78 : Not black tiles, you can see some of the tiles have been pulled up (raised floor) to lay cable under the floor.

Butters360 said:

December 23rd, 9:20 am

Hopefully we’ll get that Canal House as a map pack one day ;)

Korbei83 said:

December 23rd, 9:22 am

Movin’ on up to the east side.

ICU-KILLA said:

December 23rd, 9:24 am

You guys are the one of the best dev around always support you guys you do hope the move goes well and you guy have a Merry X-MAS ALSO I PAID OFF THE COLLETERS ED OF KILLZONE3 CAN’T WAIT LOVED THE BETA ALSO.

jazzyrider said:

December 23rd, 9:27 am

How does one say Merry Christmas in your language? And what language is spoken?

mcbuttz78 said:

December 23rd, 9:27 am

@#7 thanks… i thought that was some for sum kind of bank heist in progress lol;P

freddyrivas said:

December 23rd, 9:35 am

look like a big ol snake

FFObsessed said:

December 23rd, 9:37 am

Hello Guerilla Games

tiddles forever

KazeEternal said:

December 23rd, 9:44 am

“The Canal House would’ve made a pretty good multiplayer level, but somehow we never got around to including it in a game.” I smell KZ3 DLC in our future lol.

New IP you say? Tell us more :-D I know I’ve been asking for a Spinoff to killzone, but a new IP certainly sounds interesting. Hopefully something with Color so the likes of Kotaku will stop hounding you guys to break Killzone’s color pallet (which I like btw).

juanpipe said:

December 23rd, 9:48 am

Merry Christmas to everyone from Guerrilla!

I hope that the Canal House ends up in the MP of KZ3! Nah, just kidding, but I guess it would be a nice indoors map for Helghan.

Anyway, take a good rest, you deserve it.

cell989 said:

December 23rd, 9:54 am

this only means even more quality out of your games

raptor210232 said:

December 23rd, 9:54 am

Can you guys make a killzone RTS?

Ninja-KiLLR said:

December 23rd, 10:01 am

sweet a new IP. cant wait for Killzone 3. the beta made me want it. when can we get a hint at the new IP? my bet it is a RPG. sony makes to many shooters not that there is anything wrong with that if their good, which they are

cool_trainer said:

December 23rd, 10:02 am

New IP? Go on.

FE_RR said:

December 23rd, 10:10 am

this is best way of announce a new IP!! lol, by other side, you can wrap the world with all that cable!!
merry christmas everyone!!!!!

spideyal said:

December 23rd, 10:20 am

New IP? Somehow I already knew this… mainly because you guys said it in an interview around the time Killzone 3 was announced. I guess that sort of makes it sad to play Killzone 3 now since it’ll be the last Killzone I play. :(

Well, that is until you guys come back to the series. Unless it leaves us on a good note, then I guess not. DAMN THIS SUCKS. But I also can’t wait to see what you make next :)

Please keep doing FPS’s though, and keep setting the bar for First Person Shooters/technology in FPSs. Anyhow, good luck with the move and everything, I hope you guys have a fantastic Christmas and a happy new year!

joostin said:

December 23rd, 10:22 am

Oooooooooooo…A new IP! Anything GG makes is golden! Can’t wait for KZ3 and your new IP in the coming years.

Happy Holidays from across the pond (Canada).

pureluck13 said:

December 23rd, 10:33 am

Congrats guys.

abzdine said:

December 23rd, 10:49 am

love what you are doing guys.. i’ve already pre ordered Killzone 3 :)
Farewell Canal House :)

Globox_82 said:

December 23rd, 10:49 am

whatever new IP might be, please let it be 3rd person. Uncharted, Infamous, Dead Space, etc best games are 3rd person

BlackIceJoe said:

December 23rd, 11:06 am

I want to know do you have plans on making Killzone: Liberation 2? I really enjoyed the game & would greatly enjoy a sequel. I think it would be cool to see what you could do with it for either the PSP or future PSP2.

Also I think it would be cool to see a PS3 game using the top-down view for gaming. It would be really neat to see more top-down games. Best of luck at the new building. Plus have a Merry Christmas & a happy new year.

alok893 said:

December 23rd, 11:22 am

Killzone 3 will be the best sci-fi shooter ever made!
Cannot wait to hear about your next ip guerrilla games!

BlindMango said:

December 23rd, 11:42 am

I’m interested to see what your canal house looked like too!

DoomeDx said:

December 23rd, 11:53 am

@ jazzyrider

Haha, here in the netherlands, merry christmass & and a happy new year = Vrolijk kerstmis, en een gelukkig nieuwjaar!

With that said, Vrolijk Kerstfeest, en een gelukkig nieuwjaar to Guerilla Games and the Playstation 3 Fans!

(Map pack voor canal house?:) )

SmooshyKing said:

December 23rd, 11:59 am

Quick question about Killzone 3:

Have you guys added ANY of the most requested features?

Split-screen?
Co-op?

Or is this just a “content” release (new maps, new vehicles, slight tweaks to controls)?

Airwalkinman17 said:

December 23rd, 12:13 pm

Guerilla Games,

Thank You so much for putting together Killzone 3
It looks to be even better than its predecesors

a big thank you for adding split screen co-op for the campaign and for increasing the responsiveness in the controls. I have no doubt that I will be one satisfied customer come feb. 22

thanks again
merry christmas and happy new year

NotoriousGamer said:

December 23rd, 12:24 pm

pretty kool stuff. wat is the new ip? please dont make it a racer. make another shooter lol.

or rpg with kz style!

Skater_Ricky said:

December 23rd, 12:26 pm

Love to hear more about the new IP that will be coming along in the near months ahead.. hopefully we will hear more about it come E3 2011 :D

TheGuardianFID said:

December 23rd, 12:52 pm

Hhhhmmmmmmm, a new IP you say, curiouser and curiouser!!! 8)

bob52 said:

December 23rd, 12:58 pm

good luck with the move. Happy holidays!

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

December 23rd, 1:37 pm

can you hide yourself in the floor XDD

rochha said:

December 23rd, 2:39 pm

dang they take all the cabling with them? lol I guess it saves money, but I wouldn’t know, I work for the government

Shikoro said:

December 23rd, 3:24 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you at Guerrilla. :)

I wish that you continue creating great games and listen to the fans because they matter the most. Cheers! ;)

Also, can’t wait for you new IP to be unveiled. I’m very excited about it! :D

MGO_Count said:

December 23rd, 3:47 pm

Same like Uncharted 2. Good luck Guerilla

The-Jack-Burton said:

December 23rd, 7:25 pm

I just got a $60 gift certificate to Gamestop and I’m saving that baby for Killzone3. February 22 is when 2011 officially begins for me.

lyfestory said:

December 23rd, 8:36 pm

that place needs some killer color… maybe some orange…

and new IP sounds good… look forward to news on that…

Grinchy said:

December 23rd, 9:49 pm

All this Guerilla talk must be some kind of subliminal messaging.

I couldn’t help but pop Killzone 2 into my system earlier after reading these updates. Maybe you guys should do some blog posts about the benefits of diet and exercise!

SolduNuts said:

December 24th, 12:11 am

Merry Christmas guys and I can’t wait for the game to come out.

judalation said:

December 24th, 11:44 am

I BLAME THE HELGAST! clearly their invasion force has destroyed the main headquarters but our spirit is not broken! WE WILL DESTROY THE HELGAST…ON FEB 23

Sarges24 said:

December 26th, 2:38 am

Merry Christmas GG!

new IP, more space, better view. Very well deserved. If you run out of space for those action figures or any cool GG stuff by all means my door is open. ;) Lol Grats guys. Been a huge fan since the KZ 1 beta and can’t wait to see KZ3 (non beta) and see what all you got cooking for up for us this next decade. Keep up the great work!