Paragon

Jan 27

Jan 27

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All the early details

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Next Generation Portable: Front

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Now, the technical specs:

CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Location Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Software Franchises shown or talked about at PlayStation Meeting 2011 (titles are not final)

• Killzone
  • Uncharted
  • WipEout
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Call of Duty
  • Resistance
  • Little Deviants
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10

QuietstormRB said:

January 27th, 6:58 am

I want one and I want it now!!! lol seriously though, I have a PSP UMD collection so hopefully there will be a way I can transfer them to this NGP.

wvnative said:

January 27th, 7:00 am

Boo to the motion sensors, other than that though, seems nice

thundercat17 said:

January 27th, 7:02 am

so can i still hook this up with my ps3, the fatter ps3?

Asylum3395 said:

January 27th, 7:06 am

will we be able to watch netflix and hulu plus on it since it has the 3G network

remanutd5 said:

January 27th, 7:07 am

guys i dont know if this have been posted already but just look at this video OMG !!!! i want the PSP2 NOW !!!! http://uk.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287018/uncharted-ngp-psp-2-unveiling-video

Mosqutus said:

January 27th, 7:10 am

Looks Great! Any chance it will do remote play? And can we have Playstaion Home running on it?

Shacojin said:

January 27th, 7:12 am

Strange no mention of 3D on the NGP

Trigg said:

January 27th, 7:12 am

I’d be afraid to use this in public in a bad neighborhood. I could see Sony trimming some fat off of this for a redesign in the future. The PS4 might be closer than I thought since the portable tech is getting closer to the home console. I trust Sony’s portables but the first PS3 model had problems so I’ll sit back and wait a year while I catch up on my backlog. Gotta buy spare batteries before Sony stops production for the PSP 3000. I can’t find PSP 1000 batteries anywhere.

Lasani said:

January 27th, 7:15 am

NGP : Nintendo got Pwn’ed

DeathGazer said:

January 27th, 7:15 am

I’m blown away by all the control methods. Front and rear touch pads, dual analogs, gyroscope, d-pad…what an incredible device.

Link01 said:

January 27th, 7:16 am

God, I just need a price

Lasani said:

January 27th, 7:17 am

Can we get a detailed walkthrough of LiveArena + PS3 ~ NGP Remote Play in Action would be epic.

SUPERGAMER247 said:

January 27th, 7:20 am

now this is amazing ( definitely makes up for last night’s firmware); also can you change the design to look a little slicker for SUPERGAMER please. thanx. Also, i saw that the screen was simulated, but i like the new menu design over xmb; i never posted my idea for a new xmb on share ( as it never works for me), but I will tell you what i thought of here: it needed a touch screen ( which this has) and it would be tilted grids that you could scroll through and then click on a grid ( imagine i just clicked on the Games grid) it pops open and you can scroll through you games/trophies/games section of ps store

dragonarya said:

January 27th, 7:22 am

*groan* Not touchscreens, please…

remanutd5 said:

January 27th, 7:23 am

guys my comment is awaiting moderation , go to uk.gamespot.com you’ll see Uncharted NGP demonstration in HD , Little Deviants and more , man Uncharted looks really really impressive

SUPERGAMER247 said:

January 27th, 7:23 am

oh yeah will we have our choice for 3g carrier (unlocked) or will we have to take one carrier ( because if we do, do not give us att because i will get 3g before it if its capped 25 dollar data sucky att) And, please try to get us a plan that is unlimited.

TwinDad said:

January 27th, 7:25 am

“Small dedicated flash cards”. So when are we going to see pictures of the game carts?

I know price is coming, but it would have been nice to see that information on debut.

Are you also going to release later the information on the 3G access?

Anything about new IP, I like uncharted and the rest, but the same game over and over and over just takes the fun away.

ForgiveMyAim said:

January 27th, 7:25 am

Nintendo
Got
Pwned

Chipper said:

January 27th, 7:28 am

I know what I want from Santa :)

Munzapoppa said:

January 27th, 7:35 am

This definitely looks like an improvement, but without any kind of way to convert UMDs into a digital format (without using homebrew software), the people who bought PSPs before the PSP Go game out and have spent a lot of money on UMDs (such as myself) are getting screwed over. I wouldn’t even mind some kind of voucher thing where I have to pay like $5 to be able to download one of my old games off of the PSN. But it’s been almost a year and a half since the PSP Go came out, there’s really no excuse for not coming up with some kind of a solution to an obvious problem like that.

Cloud64Strife said:

January 27th, 7:38 am

I wonder if the back touch screen can serve as the R2/L2 buttons, because then it would be perfect

Bioman20 said:

January 27th, 7:41 am

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

chechiresmurf said:

January 27th, 7:43 am

O.K. The big thing to remember, for everyone that is complaining about stuff missing/not up-to-date/whatever your not happy about, is that these are just initial specs. Any and ALL information can change before it is released. Second, Nintendo stated that 3D with a touch screen would be hard to do at this point in Technology, if not impossible, hence why they do not have 2 3D screens on the 3DS. And lastly, for Skater_Ricky, 4G does NOT EXIST.

That’s the wiki for it’s definition. NO ONE is even close to giving us true 4G networks on phones right now.

But from what I’m seeing, pic wise and spec wise, it’s looking like it will be an interesting system. I’m also interested in the fact that they are planning on a touch pad on the back of the system AND a touch screen. Very interesting and can’t wait to see what they do with it all.

MiiAmigo said:

January 27th, 7:45 am

Wow! I’m very impressed. And very so over the wow factor of the 3DS. Sony’s got my money for sure.

PoisonPinkFluff said:

January 27th, 7:47 am

@IvanDoomer

They had a solution to the PS2/PS3 issue…it was the first gen PS3. I have a 60GB and it plays both PS2 and PSOne games. They removed it after that since they said no one really cared about it. Unfortunate really.

BiezulbubBill69 said:

January 27th, 7:47 am

I CAN’T WAIT TO BUY THIS AMAZING SONY PRODUCT!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SONY FOR CONTINUING TO INNOVATE IN THE TECHNOLOGY MARKET!!!!

MarinoBrea said:

January 27th, 7:48 am

Did Sony learn anything from the first PSP?

Look at Nintendo: they make a cheap, technically outdated portable and they outsell you 2x.

Portable gaming is for casuals -> you make a cheap portable for casuals, not a handheld PS3.

PounderBoy said:

January 27th, 7:51 am

Give me!
Quit whining, if you don’t like it, who is forcing you to buy it.

Madkiller32k said:

January 27th, 7:51 am

Does it accept M2 cards?

subbed said:

January 27th, 7:53 am

So XMB going away in favor to what looks to be a more android flavored UI?

Will this also happen on the PS3?

djspinal said:

January 27th, 7:54 am

Looks awesome! I dont know about the whole retro “gonna bring back cartridges man!” w the “intergchangeable flash memory” thingy-mabob. Skype? Android? Apps (not minis)? Will there be a reason to put this in my pocket? Oooo Dualshock…totally. Sony rules!

remanutd5 said:

January 27th, 7:54 am

so Jeff where are the video demonstrations ? come on we want to see the Uncharted NGP live demo

zombie9 said:

January 27th, 7:55 am

AS soon as I buy 3-D TV I will pick one up. Looks cool still need more details though on memory? Still to many questions??

Destiny89 said:

January 27th, 7:56 am

Totally Epic

ARC_Stig said:

January 27th, 8:00 am

You said Killzone, so im buying one! :D lol

NO_FEAR said:

January 27th, 8:04 am

Looks Good, glad about the GPS, 3G and Android. How much storage on the system…will it come with a 16g card?

TheLastNinja- said:

January 27th, 8:04 am

Oh God…

NGP now stands for Nintendo Got Pwned. XD

gamerpro06 said:

January 27th, 8:05 am

wow, i was going to make some joke like “It doesn’t have a camera! im not getting it!”, but it does, so now i cant make any jokes about improvements that need to be made, because i cant find any…

S-E-G said:

January 27th, 8:07 am

this is not a Sony innovation!!
this tech is already used in mobile phones and tablets
the only thing sony has innovated so far is the blu ray laser
everything else is copied from other companies

Sony
Make.Believe
we cam up with it

DrApollo said:

January 27th, 8:09 am

It makes sense that you won’t have to repay for psp psn games since they are tied to your account…and you can have them downloaded on multiple devices. Netficks would be great…and more info on 3G support and price would be great!

dude2341 said:

January 27th, 8:10 am

No one cares about backwards compatibility, it does not take UMD’s so get over it. I have a PSP and will most likely have this on day one I am happy about this announcement. It would be nice if we could have a way to magically put all of our UMD’s on this system but that would lead to rampant piracy. How are you going to prove that the UMD you have is yours and not your friends. People could use the same UMD over and over pass it from person to person basically stealing the gave repeatedly. Unless you are willing to give up your UMD when you transfer the game to digital form this would never work.

TwinDad said:

January 27th, 8:15 am

I’ll wait to make a judgment. So far everything here screams smart phone with dual sticks. I want to see more in action videos on the product. I saw the uncharted video and it looks great.

Enigma777 said:

January 27th, 8:16 am

They all laughed when I said I was going to rebuy all my PSP games from the PSN. Well, who’s laughing now?!

My only question is how much on-board space will this have? I found the 16GB on my PSPgo to be awfully small and these new games look like they’re going to be a whole lot bigger.

lbpmagician said:

January 27th, 8:18 am

Guess I’ll have to keep my PSP-2000 or get a PSP-3000 to keep playing my UMDs (I have no downloadable titles, there should be at least a special offer to download a title you already own).

kobe24lakers said:

January 27th, 8:21 am

Very excited. This may very well be my first portable gaming system. It’s just all about the price now..

MF_Cool_Han said:

January 27th, 8:21 am

I cant wait

kirafung said:

January 27th, 8:33 am

This is great! I am getting it!

Oh, will there be any port (eg:mini HDMI) for TV-out? I hope I can do the same thing like I did with my PSP.

undeadwolfy said:

January 27th, 8:34 am

No 3.5mm headphone jack/socket? Its not in the technical specification. Any confirmation on that please?

Xunan said:

January 27th, 8:34 am

Drooling NOW!

Concerns
1) Price – has to beat the Nintendo 3DS to stand a chance
2) Battery Life – again HAS to beat Nintendo 3DS, 3-4 hours is NOT acceptable
3) The 3g service – if we have to sign up to some monthly service, thats not gonna cut it either!

Other than that, me wants one

lelezi said: