PlayStation VR

Jan 27

Jan 27

SOCOM 4 Ships Out April 19th, New Multiplayer Video

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar Posted by Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

Everyone here at Zipper Interactive is pleased to announce that the wait will soon be over! As our headline says, SOCOM 4 is scheduled to hit stores in North America in just a few months on April 19th.

Earlier this week at the Zipper headquarters in Redmond, WA, we invited the media and 18 SOCOM community members to check out the latest version of our game. Not only did they get an update on the progress of our single-player campaign, they were also treated to an extensive look at several of our multiplayer modes, which, as any SOCOM fan will tell you, is absolutely the game’s bread and butter.

Early next week, we’ll have another update on the PlayStation and SOCOM blogs to let you know what members of the community thought about their visit to Redmond and their hands-on time with SOCOM 4. In the meantime, we’d love for you to check out our “Not For Self” multiplayer trailer by clicking on the video above.

Also, for you veteran SOCOM fans out there, head on over to GameStop.com and bring back classic SOCOM memories with another new trailer, this one for the GameStop pre-order exclusive “Abandoned” Map!

The good news is that this is just the beginning of an upcoming flood of SOCOM goodness. As we count down the days and weeks to April 19, you can expect plenty of news, details and media to get you hyped up for what we think is the best SOCOM game yet. Enjoy the ride!

Add Your Own

Demolitio said:

January 27th, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the response Jeremy. The character models look really good so there’s no complaints here. Some of the better models I’ve seen in games today.

NO_FEAR said:

January 27th, 5:55 pm

Can’t wait to see game video from the players perspective.

gg

DeadCell34 said:

January 27th, 5:55 pm

Dang you Sony! This and Portal 2 are both coming out on my birthday, the 19th. Now I have to decide which one I want. Hmmmmmmmm………..

litterature said:

January 27th, 5:57 pm

CAN You confirm this date for Europe please ?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 6:00 pm

This is just the North American date; other territories will be announced soon.

evildude683 said:

January 27th, 5:58 pm

Is this gonna be the real McCoy or what?

THE-D1RTY-77 said:

January 27th, 5:58 pm

never really got into socom, only played demo’s [and a beta] but i may just get this one…

King_Cobra_3 said:

January 27th, 5:58 pm

Hopefully this game is not hackable like Socom Confrontation.

Mattsta001 said:

January 27th, 5:58 pm

@Jeremy, cool, 5 player co-op sounds better! Just hope this is full campaign co-op and not a tacked on thing like Uncharted 2’s.

Deadly-Survivor said:

January 27th, 6:01 pm

@56 ( King_cobra_3 ) Sony is taking care of hackers and cheaters. Look it up. The court took care of it. The new update for the ps3 was for half of the cheaters so they get banned.

TheGlue29 said:

January 27th, 6:01 pm

@ mountain_duwe Dude…don’t double post your whiney nonsense. Just cry into your pillow; nobody cares.

@ Jeremy Dunham – NICE. Can’t wait. Good lookin out with the Co op, too.

IceColdKilla44 said:

January 27th, 6:01 pm

Loving the Latin Quote at the end.

“Not for yourself, but for your country.”

vza004 said:

January 27th, 6:04 pm

You guys should bring more co-op FPS games. I’m tired of single FPS games. It’s boring to play on your own on an epic adventure.

D-Roca said:

January 27th, 6:04 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

one more question, will there be a ‘tie break’ round like all previous Socom games made by Zipper?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:03 pm

We’re still working on refining how matches end up, but honestly, we don’t want ties to begin with; we want there to be a definite winner every time. We’ll have more on how that’s going to work once we’ve finalized our system for it.

Carl-G said:

January 27th, 6:06 pm

WOW so it’s –

Jan = LBP2
Feb = KZ3
Mar = MotorStorm:Apocalypse
Apr = SOCOM 4. . .

SONY are the GODS of gaming! ! ! :)

Weshzu said:

January 27th, 6:14 pm

Please announce the details soon before killzone 3 comes out so i could make up my mind to wait and purchase of socom 4 or killzone 3 in the coming weeks.

offline?5 players cop-op nice!
offline?5 player death or team death match as well
offline 2 player story mode would be awesome too 4 than that’s spectacular

I_BUDMAN_I said:

January 27th, 6:15 pm

what will be done about all the cheating?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:04 pm

Cheating will not be tolerated and we are actively looking into the most effective ways to prevent it.

We have some good ideas too.

commanderlewis said:

January 27th, 6:15 pm

Socom games were the games i played mostly on my ps2 back in the day. I loved the sp! didn’t do much online, due to not having the online parts for the ps3 :(. I’m an old school socom fan! So kudos for this trailer. We appreciate the hard work! And BTW! love that there’s co-op and love that we get the socom 1& 2 map :) thou you guys should do what GG did with Kz3’s retro map..offer it to all retailers, but give the main ones some other stand out perks.

BTW i would love it, if you can bring back the prison middle eastern map from socom1..man i love that map :)

litterature said:

January 27th, 6:16 pm

Ok thanks for You answer ;) i hope it’s not 6 month later for Europe (ndlr Socom confrontation)^^

KazeEternal said:

January 27th, 6:19 pm

” this one for the GameStop pre-order exclusive “Abandoned” Map! ”

umm…. is this going to be sold eventually or is this another dead map? I refuse to do a pre-order for a map that no one has access too, more importantly do business with a store that is likely to cannibalize your sales and everyone else’s with used sales and encourages it with bonus towards used purchases.

stove611 said:

January 27th, 6:22 pm

Any details on what retailers are offering for pre-order bonuses? Or is Gamestop/EB Games the only one with a pre-order bonus?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:06 pm

You’ll get the special shotgun as a pre-order bonus just about anywhere. GameStop is the only place you’ll get Abandoned, though.

Bloody_Marcel said:

January 27th, 6:22 pm

I can’t find the Abandoned video on GameStop site. Perhaps it’s not up yet? I want to see how it looks in SOCOM 4. One of my fav SOCOM maps!

dipchit02 said:

January 27th, 6:24 pm

You guys would release the game A WEEK after my birthday. If this game is as good as the trailer implied it would be then I am sold. I just hope we do not have another confrontation on our hands, I am just happy to see Zipper at the wheel of this game and I think that it was will turn out really well.

This is the game that I have been waiting for ever since Confrontation was a bust. I was excited about a Socom game on PS3 since I have all of the PS2 games but was not very happy with the way Confrontation was handled at all from the start

SHINSPIKES said:

January 27th, 6:24 pm

Will there be incentives to earn besides weapons and normal stuff? Not askin for yah to be like infinite ward, but a perks system or abilities is makin replay value so much better. Also any killstreaks, they don’t have to be offensive KS, thinkin different like medal of honors defensive KS. Basically I’m askin what are yah doin different? I mean really really different. Outside the box. Unless you guys are goin for realism again, so non of that will be in right?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:31 pm

Like weapon modifications and unlockable skins? Yes

Capt-Fury- said:

January 27th, 6:24 pm

hey Jeremy, it would be cool to have Cullen on a future playstation heroes pack in Uncharted 3, make it happen!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:31 pm

Anything is possible!

Insanecyclone said:

January 27th, 6:26 pm

Any news of the beta included with Killzone 3 or will that come at a later date?

SHINSPIKES said:

January 27th, 6:26 pm

Oh yeah, yah are in redmond? Dam didn’t know. I wanna work for yah. Or come down for a local early beta test or something. Wanna see the zipper head quarters.

XScreamingEagleX said:

January 27th, 6:28 pm

can you customize your character in the MP?

when we will be able to see a gameplay video, uncut and unedited?

did you say 5 player coop? oh boy arent i sold!

Kewin said:

January 27th, 6:41 pm

Please don’t pull a confrontation. I love socom so much and was so sad by that game. This looks promising just give us quick and easy menus to jump in and out. And Get auto match working on day one

Pk-Dj said:

January 27th, 6:41 pm

Looks like a better, not as complicated MAG. I think I’ll probably buy this title.

Hooligantuan said:

January 27th, 6:44 pm

This would be cool if it was an FPS.

G-Force08 said:

January 27th, 6:44 pm

Just got home to this news. Having a horrible day….

Just made my night :)

Skater_Ricky said:

January 27th, 6:45 pm

► I’ll let the Beta speak for itself to judge if im going to sink my teeth into something im not even 25% sure about.

Will be rocking out on Killzone 3 before then. Which will be soon. Tell then ill stick with my Little Big Planet 2.

► Tell then here is a Recap:

╭┳━━━━━━━━━━━┳╮
╭┻╯┏━━━━━━━━━┓╰┻╮
┃╭╮┃┈☆ⒽⒺⓁⓁⓄ☆┈ ┃△◯ ┃
┃╰╯┃┈★ⓌⓄⓇⓁⒹ★┈ ┃▢╳┃
┃∭◉┃┈Ⓢ┈Ⓞ┈Ⓝ┈Ⓨ┈ ┃◉┅┃
╰┳♺ ┗━━▃ⓃⒼⓟ▃━━┛╭┳╯
╰┻━━━▬▬▬▬▬━━━┻@PlayStation

Mattsta001 said:

January 27th, 6:48 pm

You guys should do a tie in with MAG too, like log into MAG and get a SVER skin for SOCOM. Pretty sure a lot of MAG players will also play SOCOM.

SPOPS said:

January 27th, 6:48 pm

Ok, game trailer looks amazing. However, I really hope that you guys work on the voice acting before the game launches. The voice acting sounds so fake and just unnatural.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

January 27th, 6:53 pm

ONCE AGAIN..SONY JUST MAKES ME A PROUD OWNER OF THE PS3..5 PLAYER CO-OP..I HOPE THIS IS FOR THE CAMPAIGN OR SPEC OP MISSIONS..SOMETHING THAT MY FAM AND FRIENDS CAN NJOY TOGETHER WITHOUT HAVING TO BE SO COMPETITIVE AMONGST OURSELVES.THANK YOU ZIPPER FOR BRINGING SOCOM BACK TO THE TOP OF ITS GAME.SLANT6 TRIED BUT JUST WASNT GOOD ENUFF :/ NOW LETS BRING BACK THE VEHICLES PLEASE..IM TIRED OF ALL THIS RUNNING AND GUNNING..I WANT TO HAVE PEOPLE RUNNING WHILE IM GUNNING ON THE BACK OF A TRUCK WHILE MY TEAM MATES ARE DRIVING..COMBINED ASSULT STYLE >:P

W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J said:

January 27th, 6:54 pm

Please tell me there is splitscreen. Developers are finally getting smart and starting to include it again. People don’t speak with their wallets as much as their mouths because developers don’t care about requests.. its all about the sales figures.

torontogoalie said:

January 27th, 6:57 pm

looks terrible…. graphics look dated….

Aytch_AK-47 said:

January 27th, 7:00 pm

Has zipper given any thought into releasing a collectors edition also?

ajayghosal said:

January 27th, 7:04 pm

When does the beta starts that comes packed in with kz3 jeremy?

station3fever said:

January 27th, 7:11 pm

WOW! All i can say is “THAT [DELETED] LOOKS HOT” i’m sold :)

Justp94 said:

January 27th, 7:26 pm

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! TOO MANY GAMES!!!! Sony, Enough! I can’t afford it all!!! :(

xDarkSoul said:

January 27th, 7:35 pm

I dont get why theres no lobby system, i can simply find no explanation for that. And adding people to your friendlist is simply a FIX so theres no excuses. We need our lobbies back, i dont know whats been happening but this is is really screwed up and im pissed about this.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:33 pm

We want games to launch quickly and we think players do too. Give it a try in the beta, it works very well.

InFaMoUz188 said:

January 27th, 7:41 pm

Wow that background music is from valor’s recruitment video.

INC06N36R0 said:

January 27th, 7:47 pm

Well… there went my whole summer. Thank you Zipper for sucking my life away from other social interactions.

I have to ask though, will there be a lobby system similar to post-Confrontation? Not having the lobby’s in Confrontation really took away from the community vibe that the other editions in the series did well to create.

Also, please say there isn’t any health regen online.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

Jeremy Dunham said:

January 27th, 8:34 pm

Health regen depends on which game mode you’re playing. No health regen in classic, and yes, it’s ranked.

xDarkSoul said:

January 27th, 7:49 pm

@ INC06N36R0

Got some bad news for you, there is no lobby system. You only got a matchmaking system just like call of duty, how you like that?

WarMachine_v1 said:

January 27th, 7:50 pm

Jeremey, will there be a party system so I can play matches with friends or will it strictly be clan only party? How many per party?

INC06N36R0 said:

January 27th, 7:52 pm

@xDarkSoul

What? Really? When was this confirmed?

JAD57 said:

January 27th, 7:55 pm

this game looks like the [DELETED]. about time something came out to rival COD.

ElHaraganRB said:

January 27th, 8:00 pm

Splitscreen Co-Op???!!! =)

BigPoppaB said:

January 27th, 8:10 pm

I know that you’ll NEVER respond to this… but I can’t imagine how pissed off the team at Zipper was over Socom:Confrontation.

It really tainted the name of a great franchise, and has unfortunately, but undoubtedly raised a lot of hesitance from gamers to Socom 4