Final Fantasy XV

Feb 16

Feb 16

Official Statement Regarding PS3 Circumvention Devices and Pirated Software

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Today, Sony Computer Entertainment released the following statement:

Notice: Unauthorized circumvention devices for the PlayStation 3 system have been recently released by hackers. These devices permit the use of unauthorized or pirated software. Use of such devices or software violates the terms of the “System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System” and the “Terms of Services and User Agreement” for the PlayStation Network/Qriocity and its Community Code of Conduct provisions. Violation of the System Software Licence Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System invalidates the consumer guarantee for that system. In addition, copying or playing pirated software is a violation of International Copyright Laws. Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently.

To avoid this, consumers must immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems.

What this means to you

Circumvention devices and game piracy damage our industry and can potentially injure the online experience for you, our loyal PlayStation customers, via hacks and cheats.

Many PlayStation.Blog readers have asked how we intend to deal with these incidents that they have been reading about in the gaming press, and this is our initial response.

By identifying PlayStation 3 systems that breach our guidelines and terminating their ability to connect to PlayStation Network, we are protecting our business and preserving the honest gameplay experiences that you expect and deserve.

Rest assured, this message does not apply to the overwhelming majority of our users who enjoy the world of entertainment PlayStation 3 has to offer without breaching the guidelines detailed above, and we urge you to continue doing so without fear.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 15

BeechV35Pilot said:

February 16th, 9:31 am

To show the love to the majority of the community who has no trouble abiding by Sony’s policy, how about some firmware updates specifically adding the top x-requested features? The last few updates seem to only be targeting the pirates.

imtooseryas said:

February 16th, 9:33 am

BANHAMMER

MadmanV10 said:

February 16th, 9:33 am

While I don’t outright condone piracy, in the digital age in which we are living, the cost of consumer goods is becoming too high, at least in regards to software (or intangible elements of a piece of hardware).

This applies to movies, music, and yes…games. The prices of these products are just too damn high, and because of this, it becomes OBVIOUS why people resort to piracy. It’s not always an act of theft, but a statement of rebellion.

I repeat, I do not condone pirating games or music or movies, but when one can spend over 100 dollars and end up with only 1 game and 1 BR/DVD from Best Buy…or buy 3 brand new ink jet printers, then something is seriously wrong.

We’re having the buck passed on to us for the inefficiencies of game development studios, and it won’t end well for anyone. I can empathize with hackers and pirates, but I don’t find what they do to be right. But then again, who among us can say they have NEVER downloaded a movie, or TV episode, or song off the web for free? No one. This entire argument is one of legality, that truly only Sony can stand behind with 100% moral unambiguity.

SOOPERGOOMAN187 said:

February 16th, 9:36 am

seems like FaustsHausUK just Narc’d on himself/herself. lol facepalm.

I buy all of my games, sony can check. I have a stack of used psn cards larger than the stack of unused at any store in my city. 32 psn ps3 dloads, 9 minis, 5 psone, and 2 psp titles. And moto gp waiting to dload because it gives me an 80029564 error. I’ve also had 15 psp’s in the last 5 years, some got stolen on me, others broke but I bought more. Yeah you could say Im hardcore…. oh and about 2 grand invested in Home.. and ALL preiphials.

MegamiTensei13 said:

February 16th, 9:36 am

Brick their consoles now BAN HAMMER TIME

Mobius_124 said:

February 16th, 9:38 am

wow, this is the first time the blog has talked about piracy. Im happy that you guys are talking about this, as piracy and cheating is harming both the gamer and of course the developers.

JaguarCRO said:

February 16th, 9:38 am

I support the games I love with my money. I want more of the games I love and the only way that happens is if people pay for what they play.

Keep up the hard work of keeping people Honest!

Ethereal said:

February 16th, 9:40 am

Hell Yes! Very glad to see Sony fighting for the industry and for us gamers that want to enjoy our investment. As for the hackers, glad to see the consoles are going to be permabanned. Way to go Sony you have my support any day of the week on this issue!

decimalator said:

February 16th, 9:42 am

@48 that’s because the time they could have spent implementing said features had to be spent protecting the system. That’s why in the end, a hacked system means we all lose.

Victoryismine52 said:

February 16th, 9:43 am

I’m really hoping that this was a press release to cover their bases and now they are going to start banning systems left and right I hate when people exploit the system like this. And it really pisses me off when people try to make a home-brew excuse I know people that have hacked PS3’s and 360’s NONE of them are for home-brew purposes they just want to not have to pay for their games. Sure there are people out there who hack for home-brew purposes but the thing is that for every 1 person who hacked their system just to load another OS or learn to code for cell theirs 100 people who hack just to steal games.

Airwalkinman17 said:

February 16th, 9:43 am

ada boy SONY! Go get ’em.

I can’t stand piraters! Its S.T.E.A.L.I.N.G.
Down with them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reson8er said:

February 16th, 9:44 am

I’m 1000% behind this, those who do this stuff for themselves is one thing, but when it effects games fairness, enjoyment and integrity, they deserve nothing but swift and unilateral punishment. They say they do it “just to do it” but we all know the real reason. As an honest player it warms my heart to see this being publicly acknowledged and acted upon. Kudos Sony.

Enforcer_X said:

February 16th, 9:45 am

OtherOS was a secure sandbox enthusiasts were happy playing in. There was little or no work being done to “hack” the PS3 to run unsigned or now homemade-officially-signed code.
Sony started it all off by removing and not supporting OtherOS, than look how fast the PS3 was broken open. The initial “hack” that was done that made Sony remove OtherOS had nothing to do with OtherOS obviously at this point. Just a knee jerk reaction that has begun the onslaught of useless firmware updates punishing the very people that PAY for their content.
Sony should embrace the fact people want to make applications for the PS3 and run Yellow Dog Linux on the system, create a PSN App Store bring back OtherOS.
I love my PS3 and spend thousands of dollars a year on gaming across my Sony platforms I support the developers, publishers and hardware manufacturers, I know how it works.

Make a secure system Sony, but give us a secure sandbox to play in, otherwise get these cheaters off the PSN and keep making epic content like Killzone 3 (pre-ordered the Helghast Edition btw)

JaY_Ci_415 said:

February 16th, 9:45 am

They have a right to protect their business as they mentioned. Pirated software/games is weak, takes away from the companies who work hard who are all trying to make a living just as anyone else. I’d be ticked off too.

Anyway, I’d rather get the official stuff as I’ve been doing so since the PS1 days. Not worth it getting banned forever for a few bucks.

Good for Sony.

patlabor4eva said:

February 16th, 9:47 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ALL THE $ONY BIATCHES ARE HAPPY BECAUSE THEIR PIMP IS GONNA PISS IN THE HOOD TO MARK TERRITORY???
L – O – L.

Neil said:

February 16th, 9:47 am

Good!

Curtisio said:

February 16th, 9:50 am

I agree with this offical statement.

My favorite games are only on the PS3 and I want to see more and the only way to do this is to support Sony.

Shadow-Man_4 said:

February 16th, 9:50 am

Great news, I hope you continue to ban every single person hacking the PS3. =)

Mosh_Pit said:

February 16th, 9:58 am

How you’re going to catch hackers… getting into their houses? There will always be hackers…. Sadly.

FunkyTable said:

February 16th, 10:02 am

Yes, kick them off. They ruin the fun for everyone.

cart0onnightmare said:

February 16th, 10:03 am

whats sad is that most of you that are like “get ’em sony” and “i never hacked and have been a loyal buyer of playstation” are the ones that are hacking.. dont play stupid.

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

February 16th, 10:05 am

nice move sony

kingkranz said:

February 16th, 10:09 am

Knock there blocks off Sony. I hate hackers!

iTofuMan said:

February 16th, 10:10 am

While i believe you have every right to get people like this because seriously Hackers not only ruin devs, and other companies, but also the gamers as well (the legit ones anyway)

It just seems weird that you guys have only said word about this now when it has been happening for some time now. Plus how comes you guys havent said anything about the Psp piracy?

In no means am i saying this is a bad thing. i hope you guys stop this because its no fun for anyone as i said before. just why wait till now to address the issue, and havent addressed the issue for psp users?

LUGIEZ said:

February 16th, 10:11 am

Sony should send in the Navy to get rid of the pirates: Not only will they sniper you from the fantail of a destroyer while you’re in a life raft in choppy seas … they’ll do it at night… on Easter Sunday.

TwinDad said:

February 16th, 10:12 am

It’s good to finally see a statement. Whether I agree or not is irrelevant, as you have now laid out the ground rules for the access.

I respect Sony for protecting the PS Network, you operate it and as such you should reserve the right to refuse service to anyone as a physical store.

I’d however like to see fewer forced system updates. THe HD bug in 3.56 wasn’t 100% solved and I didn’t want to update. I had to install media go to buy the games on sale I wanted. I should not lose access on a forced firmware update that has numerous known bugs.

NO_FEAR said:

February 16th, 10:16 am

I will continue to enjoy my console without fear :)

gg

Richlando said:

February 16th, 10:17 am

so what happens when you deactivate someones console who didnt hack it? You left the door open..

nEnUkO_qWeRtY_RD said:

February 16th, 10:18 am

yeah!! modern warfare 2 is very very bad :/ come on scea. fix it ..

WhiteF8ng said:

February 16th, 10:20 am

Well done Sony. I figured u guys were working on something to discover the jailbroken PS3’s. The first step was to no longer allow updates to be downloaded. It’s a hassle for those that aren’t internet enabled but who isn’t these days?

RapidfireRay said:

February 16th, 10:20 am

No more trophies.
Not more PS Home.
No more friend lists.
No more game connectivity through PSN servers.
No more add-on content.
No more update patches/fixes for your existing games.

Use circumvention devices and this is what you will lose.

I imagine this could effect Netflix, Hulu, VUDU, MLB, NHL accounts and the internet browser as well.

@cart0onnightmare:
The difference between “playing stupid” and “being” stupid…blanket statements such as yours.

Kudos, Sony, for setting a high price for piracy.

station3fever said:

February 16th, 10:22 am

my friend played modern warfare2 lastnight and this hacker had bullet proof on plus he was making the server go super fast and then super slow? we said what the heck? i have the game also but i have not played it since i bought black ops.
Cheaters online has got to be the worse thing! why would you do that? Is it because you suck and that’s the only way to get a high score?
I read things like this “Sony taking Action” and i love it.
To sony i say keep it up, it’s not a battle. It’s a war!

DragonWind said:

February 16th, 10:22 am

So, if Sony want’s to stop the firmware hackers, they need to stop putting the updates on playststion.com, the only way you can mod the firmware is to use a computer, no dl it to your computer, mo modding the firmware, simple

TUSTIN1 said:

February 16th, 10:23 am

Nice job Sony – let the banning begin…

Butters360 said:

February 16th, 10:24 am

As the Rock says, “Finally!” I’m proud that the PlayStation.Blog has finally taken notice of the recent articles in the gaming press. It looks like George Holtz is in for a very tough battle with Sony’s lawyers.

FRANKMAN1 said:

February 16th, 10:25 am

Sony u have to look at micro$oft and how the ban people. If u do that say bye to your hacking problems

MaxPayneV3 said:

February 16th, 10:28 am

Finally SONY!!! Ban them!!!

cortiz2092000 said:

February 16th, 10:30 am

i want to know why sony never issued this for our psp…
there’s been hackers on the psp for the longest time in which sony didn’t do anything but just update…

Sony never cared for us psp users…
so should we actually buy the NGP…. what if sony ignores the ngp just like they did the psp…

NESGamepro said:

February 16th, 10:31 am

I hope I read articles around the web about thousands of bans soon. Go get ’em!

TheGuardianFID said:

February 16th, 10:37 am

Go get them Sony!!! Sick the Helghast and the Chimera on their sorry [DELETED]!!! 8)

patlabor4eva said:

February 16th, 10:42 am

BREAKING NEWS (TO $ONY) A team of Devs from many countries (including ex members of Dark_Alex team) are laughing their ass off right now and preparing a walk around to the attempt of baning consoles.

sharpshoot said:

February 16th, 10:43 am

hahah there going to start banning consoles like xbox lol

Superstrokey1123 said:

February 16th, 10:44 am

Good on you sony! Kick them out!

JumpMan33 said:

February 16th, 10:46 am

please ban the cheaters Sony, I don’t want Twisted Metal to be ruined online.

Just like the grief reporting on psn you should be able to report cheaters.

SirTrigalot said:

February 16th, 10:47 am

Good move Sony, good move!

Zombiewraz said:

February 16th, 10:48 am

Thank you sony, nothing ruins a great online gaming experience then hackers thats one of the main reason i stopped playing online games on my pc. I love my ps3 and have no problem paying for the games i get on it i currently own 55 disc games and 54 downloaded games 6 mini’s and about 7 ps1 games and im glad sony is stepping up and dealing with the scum out there who think its great to be able to hack their systems. take them all out sony your doing a great job

cortiz2092000 said:

February 16th, 10:48 am

twisted metal ps3 blows its all about twisted metal 3 and 4 lol woo

patlabor4eva said:

February 16th, 10:48 am

KILLZOUND 3 RULES MAN…AND JUST 22 GIGADOLLARS..LOL

cortiz2092000 said:

February 16th, 10:49 am

i own 12 ps3 games 28 ps1 games and 36 ps2 games and of course 16 psp games

Zombiewraz said:

February 16th, 10:50 am

sony should also go after the sites that promote hacking there are several out there ps3-hacks psp-hacks and im sure there are several others out there go sony

PAGE 1 2 3 4 15