PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Mar 04

Mar 04

Mortal Kombat Demo 3D Hands-On: What You’ll Get On Tuesday

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Mortal Kombat for PS3

Sometimes, life is about the simple pleasures. The contented cooing of a sleepy puppy. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The sickening crunch of Scorpion stomping your rib cage while an X-ray view displays the internal damage in real time. In 3D.

Yes, friends. I have played the Mortal Kombat PSN demo, and it is good. Comprised of four characters and two stages, the demo is a meaty preview of what to expect when the full game hits PS3 on April 19th (April 21st in the EU). PlayStation Plus subscribers are getting early access this coming Tuesday, March 8th (March 9th in the EU) and it’ll be delivered directly to your PS3 as long as you enable Automatic Downloads in your XMB settings. All other PSN users will be able to download the demo on Tuesday, March 15th.

The demo comes with four playable fighters: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Fan-favorite Scorpion is nastier than ever, packing his trademark throwing spear (“Get over here!”) and a wicked new sword, while rival ninja Sub-Zero forges weapons from ice and shatters internal organs with a touch. Hollywood prima donna Johnny Cage hits below the belt, and sai-wielding mutant assassin Mileena makes no effort to hide her gleaming five-inch fangs. You’ll also get two environments: The Living Forest and The Pit, complete with its gruesome stage fatality.

Mortal Kombat for PS3: Sub-Zero

Mortal Kombat’s stereoscopic 3D viewing mode is exclusive to the PS3, and I was lucky enough to try it on a massive 60’’ 3D Sony Bravia. Stereoscopic 3D lends an impressive sense of grandeur and scope — the environments seem to stretch on into infinity but don’t distract from the fighting. “We didn’t want 3D to change the basic mechanics or complicate things needlessly,” Mortal Kombat creative director and series co-creator Ed Boon told me. “Our 3D implementation makes the characters pop from the background a little more, and helps you focus on them.” By rendering the fighters in 2D for its stereoscopic 3D mode, Mortal Kombat’s action remains visible even if you’re not wearing 3D glasses. This is a handy detail if you’re playing with a group on a 3D TV and find yourself short of 3D glasses — everyone will be able to play and watch whether they wear 3D glasses or not. If you’re not wearing glasses, the 3D backgrounds will look a bit blurry but the characters will appear crisp and clean.

Mortal Kombat for PS3Mortal Kombat for PS3

Gameplay-wise, the Mortal Kombat demo is loaded with special attacks, combos, juggles, and ultra-powerful X-ray attacks that will leave your opponents reeling (and your stomach heaving). The action is fast and satisfying, with a 2D, side-scrolling feel that’s much closer in spirit to MKII or MK3. A standout example lies in the glorious return of the turn-around kick, which is a powerful juggle combo starter where you jump over an opponent and kick after you clear his shoulder. Judging by my hands-on time, turn-around kicks — a staple of the classic games but downplayed in later entries — are back in full force. According to Boon, this is by design. “We know turn-around kicks are an essential ingredient this time,” Boon told me. With a little practice, I was able to easily perform my signature Scorpion combo from Mortal Kombat II: Turn-around jump kick, teleport punch, spear throw followed by an uppercut or combo for an easy 25-30% damage. Not bad, but I’m sure some of you can do much better!

The Mortal Kombat demo supports two modes: One-on-one Versus battles (the final game supports two-on-two tag battles as well), and a short single-player Ladder mode. Protip: Completing that Ladder mode in the PSN demo unlocks a jaw-dropping video montage of the final game, complete with glimpses of new fatalities, returning characters, and impressive new stages. I won’t spill any secrets, but consider that video to be required viewing.

Oh, and one more thing: The “Toasty” guy is back. I’ve seen him! Have any questions about the features or feel of the upcoming PS3 Mortal Kombat demo? I’ll be delighted to provide further information, just ask away in the comments.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

TrueFFVIIFan said:

March 4th, 3:48 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to play Mortal Kombat! (On the demo and the final version on the 19th of April)!!! Thanx for this article.

Badmamajamma said:

March 4th, 3:51 pm

TOASTY!!! Is the demo going to be versus locally and/or online? Either way looking forward to it.

joseph2411 said:

March 4th, 3:54 pm

No Kratos for the demo :( well anyway just knowing we are getting a Mortal Kombat demo is enough to be excited for :) Tuesday cant come soon

March 4th, 4:02 pm

Nope, no Kratos! We’re all dying to play as him!

D-Squad3 said:

March 4th, 3:58 pm

I’m so happy I have PS Plus!!! But I’m still deciding if I should get the Kollector’s Edition or the Standard.

March 4th, 4:03 pm

I can tell you that the Tournament Stick Arcade Stick is killer, especially if you were an arcade rat in your younger days.

Phoenix_Law said:

March 4th, 3:59 pm

Awesome news. MK is back and on top of its game once again. WB picking up the franchise was the best thing to happen to Boon and the team. Finally have the budget and time to make the games the way they want to make them.

Caps-on-JDAWG said:

March 4th, 3:59 pm

Sid — did the demo feature one fatality per character, or two?

March 4th, 4:03 pm

One Fatality, plus a Stage Fatality for The Pit.

BNZ27 said:

March 4th, 4:00 pm

Does the demo include standard Fatalities for the 4 fighters? If so, how many per fighter (I’m going to assume just 1).

March 4th, 4:04 pm

Yup, on Fatality plus a Stage Fatality. I am told that there are a minimum of 2 Fatalities per character in the final game.

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:02 pm

TODAY I’VE ALREADY MADE PLANS TO UPGRADE FROM PLASMA TO 3D…SO BRING IT ON!!!!!CANT WAIT!!! (BART SCOTT VOICE)

Cat_Corye said:

March 4th, 4:05 pm

So what does the “Toasty” guy do this time for us?

And how does Kratos play in MK?

March 4th, 4:06 pm

Nobody has played as Kratos yet, we’re all dying to learn more! As for Toasty, I have no idea if he’s the gateway to a secret (he was in MKII) or just a fun bonus for MK fans. Either way, I love it. :)

Robbie_G_lrish said:

March 4th, 4:09 pm

Mortal Kombat Demo? Uh, “Winning”!

EJStrat said:

March 4th, 4:11 pm

Would’ve been sweet if they’d included Kratos for the demo. That would have surely secured a few extra sales for when the game came out. I had actually forgotten he was in the game until I read someone elses comment. I’m a little surprised by who they chose to include. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are obvious choices, but rather than Mileena I would’ve expected Liu Kang or Sonya Blade. Oh well, still stoked for this game. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is gonna have to start sharing my game time with a new fighter.

Hey! How about a free fighting stick for PS+ members?

(also, I WANT Hard Corps: Uprising!)

JesseHaysFL said:

March 4th, 4:11 pm

Can not wait. I’ve even preordered the special edition with the fight stick…now I’ll have one for SF and MK.

March 4th, 4:30 pm

I’m a big fan of American-style arcade sticks (with the bat-style stick and concave buttons), so I’ll definitely be picking up the stick, too. :)

EJStrat said:

March 4th, 4:15 pm

Btw Sid, I’d wondered what happened to you after Gamepro. I trusted your opinions more than the other reviewers, and the mag/site has changed a TON since you left. I’m new to this site, but was stoked when I saw you were on the team.

March 4th, 4:29 pm

Thanks! Really happy to be here. I’ve been with the PlayStation.Blog for a whole year already, somehow. Time flies…

Butters360 said:

March 4th, 4:16 pm

NICE! I heard that you kicked Ben Kuchera’s ass quite a lot at GDC ;)

Super excited for the demo. Mortal Kombat is BACK!

March 4th, 4:29 pm

Hahah, I did. :) I debated including a list of my “victims” from the GDC showing in this post, but cooler heads prevailed.

Kelsper said:

March 4th, 4:16 pm

From what you played, how good would you say this is? On terms of competition from other fighting games? :P

March 4th, 4:29 pm

I’m biased, but I was very pleased with it. What I think ultimately doesn’t matter — play it for yourself and let us know!

Zangril said:

March 4th, 4:17 pm

Do I have to have Automatic Download on or can I just download it from the PS Plus section of PSN?

subzeroice123 said:

March 4th, 4:20 pm

Love Mortal Kombat. JUST LOOK AT MY NAME! Lolz. I cannot wait to play this demo. Thankfully i have the awesomest friend in the world who lives next door so i can play on his PS+ Account ^_^

As for a Question, any NEW character Reveals in the montage video?

March 4th, 4:32 pm

There is a lot to take in during the montage video. I’ll leave it at that. ^_^

Razorback said:

March 4th, 4:24 pm

I wish they would’ve released the demo tonight. We could’ve had a true “Fatality Friday!”

Battlepope190 said:

March 4th, 4:26 pm

Can you play against friends online in the demo?

March 4th, 4:27 pm

No online play that I saw — I think that’s reserved for the full version.

MainEv3nt_69 said:

March 4th, 4:28 pm

any specific time frame i should put the time for automatic download because that feature never downloads anything for me when you guys push stuff for it (patches download fine)

March 4th, 4:31 pm

Hmm, interesting. I frequently find auto-downloads. Make sure it’s enabled in your settings!

EJStrat said:

March 4th, 4:31 pm

Also, one more, you referenced a tournament stick in your response to #4 (bummer I got skipped over), is there a version of the game that comes with a fighter stick? I looked up the kollector edition on amazon and from what I read I don’t think it comes with one.

NotoriousR said:

March 4th, 4:31 pm

Dammit Sid! I just wasted the past 15 minutes watching various sleeping puppy movies on youtube because of your link. I actually forgot that I had this tab open still… :P

EJStrat said:

March 4th, 4:32 pm

Ey.. spoke too soon, you ended up responding. yay. lol

Gh0sT_-420-_ said:

March 4th, 4:33 pm

sweet!!!! can’t wait to use Kratos … I remember as a kid when the first MK came out … I would walk to this burger joint and order a double cheese burger with chili cheese fries and drop $20 worth of quarters in the new MK machine they had … I remember when I did my first head/spinal cord rip with Sub-Zero … I almost spit up my food with excitement!!! :) the memories and the new ones I will create playing the new generation online … THANKS MIDWAY and SONY PS3!!!

March 4th, 4:36 pm

You are most welcome. ^_^

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:34 pm

i guess ive always wondered bout the auto download, so if it release on tuesday, would the auto download start after its been it the store or will it start as soon as the ps store is updated? ive noticed my ps3 does it but it only worked on Alien Breed II im usually always on top of the store being updated, but i wouldnt mind it being there ready as soon as i fire it up

March 4th, 4:37 pm

It starts ASAP, it seems to come in quite quickly. I think it depends on what time you schedule your PS3 to check the Store for updates — I leave it on the default setting and new content seems to flush in very early.

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:35 pm

i dont even think my question was clear, lol. so at 12am March 8th if i have it set between 2a-4am would it start then or do i actually have to wait for the ps store to publish and then it auto download after? i think i phrased it better this time

March 4th, 4:37 pm

I think you’re good. If it doesn’t come in, keep an eye out on our Twitter.com/PlayStation page for an up-to-the-second update on the PlayStation Store publish every Tuesday.

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:37 pm

i agree with mainevent i get patch updates all the time! but no demos other then alien breed like i stated previously

Junson23 said:

March 4th, 4:38 pm

I know this was just a demo but, based on what you played, would you say this is a definite return to form for Mortal Kombat?

I haven’t been this pumped for a fighting game in a long time.

March 4th, 4:41 pm

I think you will be very pleased.

Kchow23 said:

March 4th, 4:40 pm

How is the 3D effect? figure that it wouldn’t be as good since it is a 2.5D game

March 4th, 4:41 pm

It looks great. I wrote a whole paragraph about how it works in my preview above, so read it!

EJStrat said:

March 4th, 4:40 pm

Anyone can answer this question, are these game specific fight sticks compatible with other fighter games? I thought about buying one when I got MvC3, and in looking for one I found sticks specific to MvC3, SSFIV, and several others. I just saw the fight stick that comes with the Tournament edition of MK, but the button layout is completely different. Can they be programmed? Anyone?

subzeroice123 said:

March 4th, 4:41 pm

How does the Select Screen look. The Menu Screen? Is it still Sub-Zero & Scorpion Fighting?

March 4th, 9:51 pm

The Start menu is indeed Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting in slow-mo, like a scene out of 300. Very cool.

subzeroice123 said:

March 4th, 4:43 pm

@Ejstrat yes, u can play with any fight sticks.

SpiderFighter said:

March 4th, 4:44 pm

Hey Sid, in the demo trailer was there a new char revealed that we havent seen yet? Sorry had to ask lol.

March 4th, 9:52 pm

You’ll need to see it for yourself. :) No spoilers here!

Kchow23 said:

March 4th, 4:45 pm

Well, I figure it is too subtle since you can see the game just fine without the glasses

SpiderFighter said:

March 4th, 4:46 pm

EJStrat, from what i know and heard from. The tournament stick is compatible with other games, just its awekward for a SF stick. Also i hear its mod able.

Brameriz said:

March 4th, 4:50 pm

This will B the best Fighting Game this Year Bet Lol I’m glad im ah a Plus Member #TeamBON

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:53 pm

cool beans! thanks Sid for the quick response.

Kchow23 said:

March 4th, 4:54 pm

P.S Yes, I did read your impressions on the 3D :) Are there any more MK wallpapers? love the Subzero one

YungShep said:

March 4th, 4:56 pm

@EJStrat theres no way you can play this with the way Capcom customized there Arcade stick. i got the SF arcade stick and the MK arcade stick layout is completely different, i already wanna get rid of it, lol

kb4983 said:

March 4th, 5:00 pm

I know Kratos isn’t playable in the demo but I really hope the trailer for beating the arcade ladder has Kratos in it and his arena! I’m guessing it’s a stormy Aegean Sea with Hyrda’s!

haggler22 said:

March 4th, 5:02 pm

No Multiplayer? If not I would be really disappointed. I’d really like to check that out before purchasing the full game.. It’s really the only reason I enjoy playing mortal kombat, I don’t have anyone to play against.

It seems like a big selling point for this would be multiplayer, like in the arcades in the 90’s.. always someone to play. I could care less about single player, but it’s a nice addition. I really hope they add it to this demo.

Also, I hate 3d with a passion, its not that impressive. There should be an option to turn of the “blurry” background for people without 3d glasses or 3d tvs.

death_vader301 said:

March 4th, 5:05 pm

like i post before . i was wondering and hope i get some answers from ether the bloger’s , ps staff’s , or the mortal kombat developer’s . ok here it goes . will playing the mortal kombat demo unlock secrets stuff like ‘ exclusive , limited , dlc , items , themes , ect ? on the items descriptions of mortal kombat kollecter’s edition it said ‘ customize costumes for your psn avatar’s ‘ so is it the xmb avatar’s , or playstation home avatar’s , or both ? ‘seeing as when god of war gos pre order’ bonuses “avatar’s” , i rather have kratos on ps home then a xmb avatar same goes with MK ‘ i rather dress up as scorpion , jade or goro on the ps home then a xmb avatar . and my last ? is the exclusive jade skin available on the blue-ray mortal kombat movie only or is it timed limited ? thanx in advance . also @ Rene_Led . thx .

adolson said:

March 4th, 5:36 pm

I’m excited to play this. I hope it’s as much fun as it looks.

But Plus auto-downloads really ought to happen the night/early morning before, because I am always having to download stuff manually or wait another 24 hours.

CrAZyRaD said:

March 4th, 5:40 pm

Can’t wait, my bro and I still play MK2 on PSN a whole lot (as well as a bunch of other fighters). Can’t wait :D! (my brother might want the arcade stick since he’s the one that grew up with MK and SF at the arcades, I envy him for having that experience!)

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

March 4th, 5:49 pm

im glad mk is back..but im surprised they just kept it as MORTAL KOMBAT :/ its kinda lame IMO…but nonetheless i will be an AMAZING GAME..i have my bookends pre ordered..as soon as i say Scorpion( MY FAV CHARACTER) killin SUB-0…it was a MUST HAVE DAY 1 PURCHASE! – and KRATOS is the F-ing CHERRY ON TOP! Thanks WB,ED and SONY for making the GORE FANS DREAM COME TRUE!:) MK DEMO 3/15 CANT WAIT! BUT I WILL cuz im not a PLUS HEAD and not looking forward to being one any time soon :p

evil9taildog said:

March 4th, 6:30 pm

GET YOUR PUNK @$& OVER HERE ! follow up with a upper cut ! TOASTY.

digitalman123 said:

March 4th, 6:33 pm

I lost focus when you got me all hungry with the cinnamon rolls. :P
C’mon MK! “Get over here!” to the PS Store! I gotta play that demo!

xsilentangel said:

March 4th, 6:38 pm

Awesome, can’t wait for the demo. Now I need to decide whether to pre=order this or Socom.

Question: The demo will still be available after the full game has released right?

Also I’m having trouble signing in to the site using the PS3, know why? The box where you put in the e-mail and pass don’t appear.

March 4th, 9:55 pm

Hmm, weird — we’ll check with the dev guys on the site issue. I would presume the demo will work after the full game comes out.

DoughBoy589 said:

March 4th, 6:39 pm

Im playing mortal combat 2 but it seems to be impossible to get a fatality, will it be easier to do in this one?

March 4th, 9:56 pm

Yes, at least in the version I played. You get more time to execute, for starters.

DROarellano said:

March 4th, 6:40 pm

Question: does the demo support offline vs? Like, my friend and I can play?

PAGE 1 2 3