PlayStation VR

Mar 29

Mar 29

The 3rd Birthday Teleports to PSP Today with Dissidia 012 Bonus

Sonia Im's Avatar Posted by Head of Public Relations, Square Enix

The 3rd Birthday launches today on UMD and via PSN! While your PSP may still be hot from Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy, you should definitely add The 3rd Birthday to your “play” list. It has all of the makings of a game that ensures my PSP is rarely idle: Awesome graphics, gameplay that’s gets as deep as I want it to be, teleporting (“overdive” system), plus I love games that get the shooting mechanics right on a PSP. Hope you have as much fun as I predict I will! :)

The 3rd Birthday for PSPThe 3rd Birthday for PSP

A few quick bits of info and then onto the gorgeous launch trailer!

• A true action-RPG hybrid: Resist the Twisted’s vicious onslaught in a third-person shooter, with a heavy dose of character progression and customization.
  • Strategic gameplay: The new Overdive System gives players a tactical advantage as they make split-second decisions on the battlefield.
  • All-star production staff: Including producer Yoshinori Kitase (Final Fantasy series), director Hajime Tabata (Crisis Core – Final Fantasy VII -), character designer Tetsuya Nomura (Kingdom Hearts series), art director Isamu Kamikokuryo (Final Fantasy XIII) and music by Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts series).

The 3rd Birthday is rated M (Mature) and available for $29.99. Special note for Lightning/Aya Brea fans: The package release includes a code to unlock Lightning’s Aya Brea costume in Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy. To avoid any confusion, this is different than Aya’s Lightning costume in 3rd Birthday. But you’re gonna have to work hard for that. No special codes, you’ll have to figure out how to unlock that in-game extra yourself!

Add Your Own

yazter said:

March 29th, 10:37 am

Cool! Any plans for a new or remake version of Parasite Eve for the PS3? I loved that series on PSOne!

Long_Enough said:

March 29th, 10:41 am

How large is the download? This is very relevant to my interests.

Sonicfan11589 said:

March 29th, 10:46 am

Any news when Parasite Eve 2 comes to PSN? Also can’t wait to play this.

Sonicfan11589 said:

March 29th, 10:47 am

Will the Aya Brea costume for FFXIII’s Lightning become available via PSN for a price?

XMbeaner said:

March 29th, 10:51 am

Where is Marcus???

FearMonkey said:

March 29th, 10:52 am

Does the game come with a Japanese language option? I’m a huge fan of Maaya Sakamoto and was disappointed that I could not hear her performance in FFXIII as Lightning without importing the Japanese release. Will I have to do the same for The 3rd Birthday?

Thanks.

Boss_Tycoon_ said:

March 29th, 10:59 am

Will the PSN version come with the Lightning DLC? I want to get it from PSN, but it looks like I have to buy the UMD for the code…

DEMOCRAC-Y said:

March 29th, 10:59 am

Wow this just saved me $50 screw KZ3 and the Rifle I might just get this O_O

ShinobiMura said:

March 29th, 11:03 am

Great! I’m glad to see this will be available on PSN along with Parasite Eve 1 and 2. As Boss Tycoon asked, will the PSN version come with the Lightning DLC? Since all retail copies of The 3rd Birthday come with the code, I would think that downloading the game from PSN would also come with the DLC…

dragonmagician said:

March 29th, 11:18 am

With this, Dissidia, Tactics Ogre, FFIV Complete (and Patapon) coming in April, and hopefully Type-0 coming this year, my PSP will have to be charged every night for awhile.

Zarxce said:

March 29th, 11:51 am

Haven’t been able to find Dissidia Duodecim in stores and I doubt I’ll have much luck finding this. Even though I really want to play both (and I’m one of those folks who prefers physical over digital media). A lot of stores seem to have very lackluster PSP selections and never seems to care about release dates for PSP games…

Sonicfan11589 said:

March 29th, 12:08 pm

When this was announced for PSN, I was really 1000x more excited than when I got my 3DS which I enjoy.

superfrick said:

March 29th, 12:11 pm

Glad that this is a same day release for both UMD and PSN. I’ll be buying it this evening!

(To any SE marketing types who may read this: I’ll also gladly buy Parasite Eve 2 if you put it on PSN!)

LordAbsu said:

March 29th, 12:39 pm

Thinking about it.

But Parasite Eve 2 on PSN for sure, though, Day One. :)

sethchilders said:

March 29th, 12:52 pm

How do you get Aya’s costume for Dissidia 012 if you are going to purchase it on the PlayStation Store? Do you just get the costume when you purchase the game?

jawara said:

March 29th, 1:09 pm

Yes loving all this love for the psp! Please release the ngp to us soon sony!!!!! Now i will be downloading this today i hope we get the dlc too. Also could square please get parasite eve 2 on the store? I really wanted to play it before 3rd birthday. :)

Ryuuzaki said:

March 29th, 1:20 pm

Still waiting for the Store update so I can download this. One question tho, Are those of us buying the game off the PSN going to get shafted on the Aya Brea costume for Dissidia 012 or will it be combined in the DL purchase? I live on the road, traveling for work so I play most of my games on the PSPgo.

dragoon_slayer12 said:

March 29th, 1:42 pm

at 12, i was the same. i don’t buy physical psp games no more, so i love that s-e is supporting (except KH) the digital downloads.

jgrizzle358 said:

March 29th, 1:45 pm

guys if yur worried about Parasite Eve II on PSN here’s what Wikipedia says:

“In early September 2010 posts made on Twitter in relation to the spin-off title The 3rd Birthday suggested that a re-release of Parasite Eve 1 and 2 would be made available on the PlayStation Network. On the 28 October these rumours were proven to be correct, with Parasite Eve being given a 4 November release date and Parasite Eve 2 arriving 20 days after on the PlayStation Network in Japan on November 24. A North American release has been confirmed for a Spring 2011 release”

jgrizzle358 said:

March 29th, 1:48 pm

@11 GameStop dood

when I went they didn’t have copies of Dissidia 012 on the shelves I had to ask the guy behind the counter and he pulled one out of a drawer behind the counter. This was a week after it came out too.

Try that.

GGod0 said:

March 29th, 1:52 pm

Can none of you read english?

The post clearly says at the bottom that 3rd Birthday DOSE NOT come with a code for the 012 DLC.

It says you must UNLOCK THE DLC by yourself.

READ THE ******* POST PEOPLE!!!

GGod0 said:

March 29th, 1:57 pm

@21 Spelling fail!!

jawara said:

March 29th, 2:07 pm

@22 It says you have to unlock aya’s lightning costume in 3rd birthday by yourself. It has nothing to do with lightning’s aya costume in dissidia 012. The question im asking is will we get the code for the dissidia costume if we purchase 3rd birthday off psn. The retail version includes the code already.

GGod0 said:

March 29th, 2:09 pm

@23 Ohhhhhh, crud still screwed if i dl it.

Its official, i need sleep.

jawara said:

March 29th, 2:14 pm

@24 lol its cool… That is the reason why i dont go all nuts on the fellow posters here because you just may turn out to be the one wrong… :)

DarkRecoil said:

March 29th, 2:17 pm

been pinching myself for the last few weeks man. this psn u-turn by square enix is freaking amazing and really appreciated :)

Now all we need is Crisis Core Final Fantasy on PSN too :)

oh yeah, for all FF fans out there: there is a epic EPIC remake coming soon which might be a NGP lauch title and it has the number 7 in its title :D

jawara said:

March 29th, 2:26 pm

@26 yes yes yes!!!! Final fantasy 7 remake for ngp would be the most epicness ever!!!! lol

FearMonkey said:

March 29th, 2:31 pm

@27 no no no!!! Final Fantasy 7 remake should be for PS3, not a handheld. >_<

spocar said:

March 29th, 2:32 pm

hell yeah i got this game and it’s dope!! so awesome.

jawara said:

March 29th, 2:34 pm

@28 well they can make it for both cuz i want it for my ngp :) @29 I can’t wait to play this dude!

Zarxce said:

March 29th, 2:51 pm

@20 I tried asking at EB (no gamestops around here, but EB is virtually the same thing) and yeah, no dice

However, I was at least wrong about 3rd Birthday. Found 2 copies on the shelf at futureshop and was able to pick one up. So I guess my whining is invalid for today. You win this round Square Enix….

DarkRecoil said:

March 29th, 2:56 pm

@ 28 Wada or some one said that to remake FFVII with FFXIII level graphics would be too big for them on wikipidea (basically too hard because off all the details, towns, npc, voice acting ect, and the time would be like several times the period it took to make FFXIII) so remaking it for NGP makes perfect sense because you can have near PS3 level graphics & gameplay, but development would be much easier & within a more reasonable length of time.

Even though the rumor is that making it for NGP is still a pretty big job so they had to have sony help them co-develop it!

Surfaced said:

March 29th, 2:59 pm

to Sonia Im & everyone @ SQUARE ENIX USA

dropped by to say thank you. Just picked up my copy at GameStop. You managed the western release of this game very nicely. I will explain what pleases me:

1. $30 for a top-grade PSP game nearly worthy of a home console release. At $40 I probably wouldn’t have bought this but $30 was perfect and I’m completely satisfied.

2. The box art. This is absolutely gorgeous packaging. It’s simple, it’s the same as the Japanese cover, but it’s all metallic and shiny…. Aya is only clear if you hold it in the light…. I am totally impressed.

3. Same bonuses as Japanese release. In Japan, T3B and Dissidia 012 had cross-promos. You guys did the same thing for us.

Please keep this great work up. I may just need to pickup Dissidia 012 or Tactics Ogre out of sheer satisfaction with this release. Also if you could do more limited editions like SE Europe, that would be superb!!

-Surfaced

bmart008 said:

March 29th, 3:22 pm

Thanks a lot for bringing this game to PSN, I would not have purchased it if I couldn’t get it digitally. I’m looking forward to this one after I can finish Parasite Eve 1 that I downloaded the day it was released, I’ve heard a lot about this series, and I’m excited to get into it.

Please put all your PSP games on PSN! I”m really enjoying Birth By Sleep right now, but I would have preferred it be on PSN!

letherclad said:

March 29th, 3:43 pm

I’m pretty excited for this, I’ll probably be picking this up off of the PSN in the near future.

I’d like to see Parasite Eve 2 on the PSN sometime soon

ShinobiMura said:

March 29th, 3:48 pm

Now that PSN has been updated, can anyone confirm whether or not the Dissida costume DLC will be available with a PSN purchase of T3B?

NYYanks21 said:

March 29th, 4:35 pm

Picked up my copy after I finished work earlier and got to play for a little bit. Seems like an awesome game so far, it’s nice to have the PE series back even if this is considered by some to be more of a sidestory.

ngken84 said:

March 29th, 4:42 pm

I just bought my copy over PSN and so far see no indication of an Aya Brea Costume unlock. I am disappointed but not surprised.

Seriously?! I’m getting tired of paying the same amount as retail but getting less.

ShinobiMura said:

March 29th, 4:57 pm

That’s not good that we don’t get the Dissidia DLC. Maybe if Sony checks this topic and sees how many people were expecting to get the DLC, they’ll do something about it. It only seems logical that those who purchase it from PSN would be given the DLC as well since the DLC isn’t even a preorder bonus.

smashfanDS said:

March 29th, 5:27 pm

I agree, they should’ve done like with God of War: Ghost of Sparta. Within the 1st week or so of the release of the game, whoever downloads the game on PSN gets all the preorder bonuses and normal downloads. Pri-order bonuses may be asking for much, but we deserve to get the code :(

GGod0 said:

March 29th, 5:39 pm

Meh this was predictable with the DLC.

Hopefully the Pre-order stuff will be for sale eventually, if it is, it will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we won’t be getting screwed over with the Dissidia DLC here in America.

GGod0 said:

March 29th, 5:40 pm

@41 and the 3rd Birthday bonus. that too

superfrick said:

March 29th, 6:42 pm

Did anyone else pick this game up on PSN? I just transferred it to my PSPgo and It doesn’t have an instruction manual. Is this normal? All of the other games I bought on PSN have a built-in manual available from the XMB or in the game itself.

spartan5585 said:

March 29th, 9:05 pm

ok…that was freakn awesome and to find out that Yvonne Strahovski from chuck does aya’s voice i want to play even more, and not only that but even jensen ackles is also doing a characters voice, man im glad that im a PS fan =]!!!!!!!

Sonia Im's Avatar

Sonia Im said:

March 29th, 9:57 pm

so sorry for the delay in replies! i’ve been fighting off a flu for the last week and it appears that i’m losing… answers tomorrow. promise!

timothyQuinto said:

March 30th, 10:53 am

I bought the game but didn’t get Lightning’s 3rd Birthday Costume… me so sad.. :(

SuperTiso said:

March 30th, 8:09 pm

And how do PSP Go owners benefit from having the Dissidia costume from this game? Oh wait, we don’t.

superfrick said:

March 31st, 7:28 am

Who do I contact to get a Manual for this game? I bought it on PSN and it didn’t include the electronic manual like all of my other games I’ve bought on PSN did.

I tried using the customer service contact form on SE’s website, and I’ve gotten nothing in response at this time.

Also, Google searches don’t get me any answers. Either I’m the only person who didn’t get a manual with my PSN copy, or everyone else who got their copies from PSN just don’t care about the missing manual.

Lugoves said:

April 3rd, 7:35 am

Downloaded it off PSN yesterday. Just started, but if the rest of it is as good as Act 0 (the first act / tutorial) it’s definitely worth it. Awesome graphics. Tight FPS controls. And unique battle abilities. Haven’t played with the skills or equip yet. But the menu looks robust. Aya is voiced well . Enjoy.