Paragon

Apr 13

Apr 13

Valve Reveals Portal 2 for PlayStation 3: Steam Details

Doug Lombardi's Avatar Posted by VP of Marketing, Valve

A few months back, Valve announced some initial details of Steam’s debut in the PS3 version of Portal 2. While people were excited to hear about the PS3 game’s inclusion of Steam access to Portal 2 on any PC or Mac, they also had a bunch of questions.

So, here’s a bit more info about Steam on the PS3.

excursion_funnel

Portal 2 for PlayStation 3 is the first title to support Steam on a console. Specifically, that means it offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation 3.

Steam makes its appearance on the PS3 as an overlay within Portal 2. Here, the Steam overlay provides access to Steam Friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

With all these features, Portal 2 on the PS3 is the best console version of the game, just as it was suggested it would be back at E3 last year. If you’re still hungry for more details, head over to steampowered.com and learn more about Portal 2 for PS3.

Portal2_EAps3PFTfront_PSM

Portal 2 will be available next Tuesday, April 19th.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Link01 said:

April 13th, 10:23 am

I hate being the guy to ask this… but if you rent this game do you get a free Steam copy? Is there an included code or something? How is this suppose to work? I mean, I want to buy the game, but I’m gameflying it first. So I’m not quite sure what to expect with Steam integration.

Lolsa1 said:

April 13th, 10:24 am

I was wondering if there is an option to gift the PC version to my friends steam account?

Skater_Ricky said:

April 13th, 10:24 am

Read more on my next break and lunch.

Mercenary09 said:

April 13th, 10:24 am

Getting it Day 1! Really hope the rest of the game lives up to the statement of Best Version of Portal 2

poodude said:

April 13th, 10:24 am

Awesome! Glad I can link my Steam and PSN accounts.

TomHoang said:

April 13th, 10:26 am

@Link01

It’s most likely a one time code, a la EA’s online pass.

Jim777 said:

April 13th, 10:27 am

Cant wait, pre order already placed :D

Nintendo451 said:

April 13th, 10:28 am

“Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.”

Just to clarify a question. I take that to mean that Portal 2 trophies on the PS3 will unlock Steam achievements. Will it work the same going the opposite direction? If you play the game on a PC or Mac will the PS3 trophies unlock the next time you sync your PlayStation to the Steam network?

Just curious. Thanks for everything! I’ve been having a field day with all the Potato games on Steam!

utopianacht said:

April 13th, 10:29 am

wow.. this will be interesting…

ilikemonkeys said:

April 13th, 10:31 am

Hey so, hopefully more games can use Steamworks. This is a REALLY great selling point. I’m pretty excited with how easily they can patch the game now.

Mobius_124 said:

April 13th, 10:33 am

Mobius_124 said:

April 13th, 10:34 am

other than that, i love the sound of this. cant wait to see what more valve can do on PS3 after the release of Portal 2.

ycole11 said:

April 13th, 10:36 am

Steamworks sounds like it will be very useful. Looks great.

spatsnaz said:

April 13th, 10:38 am

Pretty excited for this game. I just hope that it won’t spawn some annoying cake meme this time around. ;)

drew327 said:

April 13th, 10:38 am

So excited, thanks much

cywulf21 said:

April 13th, 10:38 am

This is freaking awesome, hopefully there will be another left 4 dead this time available to ps3 and will include the same type of integration. I have the first 2 on steam.

lcmnick said:

April 13th, 10:42 am

<3 Valve

Ethereal said:

April 13th, 10:43 am

Love it! Very happy to see Valve supporting the PS3 this time and Sony for allowing to happen. Valve has my money day one.

Mobius_124 said:

April 13th, 10:44 am

Since were are getting cross-platform play, i think its time for Developers to start allowing the use of Mouse+keyboard on PS3 for Cross-Platform Games. it only makes sense and make it fair to gamers who are playing against or with PC gamers.

NightHawk17 said:

April 13th, 10:45 am

can’t wait to play, i’ve got it pre-ordered and i’m o n spring break next week so it’ll be a blast. this’ll be my first valve game, and i look forward to more on the ps3 with steam:)

djspinal said:

April 13th, 10:45 am

Sooo , it basically worx just like the “live” system in the steam version of dead rising 2?

JumpMan33 said:

April 13th, 10:45 am

Lets say I get close to unlocking a Portal 2 trophy on PS3, but then end up unlocking it while playing on Steam. Would the trophy just show up next time I turn on the PS3 version?

langdon said:

April 13th, 10:50 am

This is so damn amazing. I really hope more developer’s embrace Steamworks on PS3.

jonathan_val said:

April 13th, 10:50 am

LEFT4DEAD FOR PS3 TOO PLEASE…!!!

sheardude said:

April 13th, 10:51 am

The one question I have is how is the free copy for PC/Mac gonna work? If the free copy goes to the same account I link my PS3 with, would I be able to play with someone using the same account on a Mac or would they have to have another account? Is giving the free PC/Mac copy to another Steam account even possible?

Phoenix8387 said:

April 13th, 10:52 am

Great move Sony/Valve. Love the PSN and Steam, and having the two come together is a great combination.

@1 Link01
There is a code insert in the box which must be entered into Steam.

@2 Lolsa1
From the sound of it, the code insert must be used on a Steam account that is tied to a PSN account. Theoretically you could send the code to a Steam friend that has tied their account to a PSN account, but from what they’ve said (On the PS.Blog and Steam Support) it isn’t exactly clear.

@8 Nintendo451
Taken directly from the Portal 2 Steam Support page they linked to.
“Steam achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies: earning a PSN Trophy while logged in to a Steam account will award you the corresponding Steam Achievement once you have linked your PSN and Steam accounts. Achievements earned on a PC do not unlock PSN Trophies.”

xVIDAx said:

April 13th, 10:53 am

Getting PS3 Version, and you will have a free PC Version of the game, that’s amazing.

PS3 is the console of the year with this deals.

Phoenix8387 said:

April 13th, 10:57 am

People should really read the Portal 2 and Steam on PlayStation 3 support article they linked to.

Something worth noting that isn’t exactly clear, and in fact a bit misleading.
“Game saves and progress from a PlayStation®3 are incompatible with other platforms (i.e. Windows or Mac). Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID.”

TheTwelve said:

April 13th, 10:58 am

Bought.

jazzyrider said:

April 13th, 10:58 am

Can’t wait… Looks like the 1st game to support crossplatform functionality!

FonFahbre said:

April 13th, 11:06 am

Can’t wait for this!. Hopefully Portal 2 won’t be the only game doing this. I would also love to see, Left 4 Dead for PS3!.

Destiny89 said:

April 13th, 11:09 am

Pretty epic

GibbShift said:

April 13th, 11:20 am

Switched my pre-order from SOCOM4 to this after having read those abysmal reviews for it (will be picking up S4 along with inFamous 2 in June now). Cross platform co-op play sounds awesome, and I can’t wait to try it out. Too bad my PC isn’t much for playing PC games, so I don’t know how much stuff I could actually buy and play on Steam, but we’ll see.

Thanks for extending the olive branch, Valve.

pwfd said:

April 13th, 11:20 am

The big question is: Will there be support for mouse+keyboard on PS3??

lobotomies4free said:

April 13th, 11:21 am

If i earn a steam achievment on my computer does that transfer back into a ps3 trophy as well?

k1llabeastie said:

April 13th, 11:21 am

This is why I love Valve…

TruRage said:

April 13th, 11:29 am

I’m loving this deal. Awesome job Valve.

reson8er said:

April 13th, 11:33 am

Thanks for finally patching up all the bad blood between PlayStation and Valve. In the end were all just wanting to play games, and to that end you guys make some truly special games.

In anticipation of P2’s launch, I recently played through Portal 1 on PS3, very awesome game.

I’m ready for the 19th!

FRANKMAN1 said:

April 13th, 11:39 am

I love valve but Tbh i want L4D soooo bad :(

usedtoiletpaper said:

April 13th, 11:44 am

Pretty awesome!! I still think this game would be perfect for the ps move.

SirTrigalot said:

April 13th, 11:52 am

Awesome. So looking forward to this game. Really enjoyed the first one on PC. Now my only question is:
So are we able to save our game saves on the PS cloud service, PS3 and Steam cloud?

TheGuardianFID said:

April 13th, 11:53 am

SOLD!!! 8D

Airwalkinman17 said:

April 13th, 11:54 am

can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!

MonkeyKing1969 said:

April 13th, 11:57 am

So I can still play the game without making a Steam ID? It just seems to me that all Valve wants from me is my data and for me to be linked to Steam so they can sell me stuff. Gotta say, I’m not very interested in Gabe selling me stuff.

Mike0804 said:

April 13th, 11:59 am

When playing co-op with someone on my Steam friends list, will they see my Steam username rather than my PSN user ID?

The1stMJC said:

April 13th, 12:04 pm

So excited for next Tuesday and the future of Steam on PS3. Let’s hope L4D2 makes it way eventually as a download because that would also be a day 1 purchase for me.

DDavidian said:

April 13th, 12:05 pm

@4
Valve NEVER said PS3 version of Portal 2 was the best version, they said it’s the best CONSOLE version of the game.

There are many games coming out this year, but so far this is the only one I have pre-ordered. Really looking forward to play with some PC gamer friends of mine.

DNAgent said:

April 13th, 12:07 pm

I still don’t trust that this will be any less buggy than the Orange Box. I’ll rent Portal 2 instead. If Left 4 Dead 3 comes to PS3 with the same support THEN I will buy something from them. Until then, I’m not interested.

ARMY_DUDE152 said:

April 13th, 12:09 pm

portal 2 going to get it portal 1 was awsome

mtb0minime said:

April 13th, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the details, Doug!

I’m a huge Valve and Steam fan, so had to pre-order right away when I found out I could buy a PS3 copy and still play it on my PC. I’m glad you guys are leading by example yet again, and I hope other companies will follow suit. This is really awesome! :D

PAGE 1 2 3