Paragon

Apr 13

Apr 13

Valve Reveals Portal 2 for PlayStation 3: Steam Details

Doug Lombardi's Avatar Posted by VP of Marketing, Valve

A few months back, Valve announced some initial details of Steam’s debut in the PS3 version of Portal 2. While people were excited to hear about the PS3 game’s inclusion of Steam access to Portal 2 on any PC or Mac, they also had a bunch of questions.

So, here’s a bit more info about Steam on the PS3.

excursion_funnel

Portal 2 for PlayStation 3 is the first title to support Steam on a console. Specifically, that means it offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation 3.

Steam makes its appearance on the PS3 as an overlay within Portal 2. Here, the Steam overlay provides access to Steam Friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

With all these features, Portal 2 on the PS3 is the best console version of the game, just as it was suggested it would be back at E3 last year. If you’re still hungry for more details, head over to steampowered.com and learn more about Portal 2 for PS3.

Portal2_EAps3PFTfront_PSM

Portal 2 will be available next Tuesday, April 19th.

Add Your Own

SuMizzle said:

April 13th, 12:19 pm

All I see is references to “text chat”. With it being 2011, will we have voice chat as well?

tomstockmail said:

April 13th, 12:29 pm

Excellent, I’m glad it’s going to work perfectly.

Since the PS3s Portal 2 version comes with a Steam code, the PS3 version is the best version of Portal 2.

i_like_toast said:

April 13th, 12:33 pm

Can’t wait for Portal 2 ^.^; Portal was one of the few shootah based games i really enjoyed since my horrible ability aim is not critical to do well

Senjutsu_Dav said:

April 13th, 12:34 pm

Can’t Sony simply use Steam instead of the PSN? lol, man, it’s looking a lot better than what we have with the playstation 3 system’s online services… I wonder if Valve will continue working on this kind of implementation for all of their games! lol. Would be nice to fully integrate Steam inside the PS3, or to simply replace the actualy PSN by steam, or patch the PSN so it looks like what steam is offering!!

Pretty impressive!!

Jimmy_Cosmos said:

April 13th, 12:38 pm

This is a mind blowing deal! WOW! Valve has my money day one.

VectorRaven said:

April 13th, 12:40 pm

My body is ready for you Valve. Take me

Zezzler said:

April 13th, 12:46 pm

I cannot wait for this game! It is going to eat up soooo much of my time next week. Thanks Valve for the best version on any console ;)

GRG89 said:

April 13th, 12:48 pm

I cant decide between this and Mortal Kombat!!!!!

Never played Portal but seeing the previews, screenshots vids…I get interested every minute.

CerulianThunder said:

April 13th, 12:56 pm

19 + Mobius_124

You don’t really need a Keyboard and a Mouse to compete with PC players, but that’s totally up to the person playing, I’ve beat plenty of people on PC with a controller.

NeoHumpty said:

April 13th, 1:09 pm

Fantastic job winning over some ps3 fans, Gabeyboy! Can I haz updated Team Fortress now?? I’ll pay full price for a fully updated version. I want some hats, dagnabbit!!

TJF588 said:

April 13th, 1:22 pm

So excite. Really likin’ the “earn cheevos at the same time”, though I wonder if earning them on PC will also give you the trophy once you boot the PS3 version back up.

Still wondering (and haven’t read through the comments) if we can play our PS3 version (even if on a different Steam account) at the same time as our PC/Mac copy, to allow for living-room-co-op.

D-Squad3 said:

April 13th, 1:22 pm

Freaking awesome, wish I had more money.

Karsghul said:

April 13th, 1:29 pm

Wow @ people wanting to steal a copy. A company does something awesome that benefits the user like having an additional copy on PC and someone wants to take advantage of it.

This is why we can’t have nice things. I now get why EA and Activision do what they do. /rant

I’m buying this game day 1.

the_FREELANCER said:

April 13th, 1:30 pm

Awesome! Would love to see L4D and a proper Team Fortress 2 in the future please!

Neil said:

April 13th, 1:41 pm

luvs it

TJF588 said:

April 13th, 1:50 pm

Oh, finally read that Knowledge Base article, and the note about Trophies unlocking Cheevos, but not vie versa. Well, then, I’ll be playin’ on my Big Box o’ Blu-ray!

TJF588 said:

April 13th, 1:52 pm

…aaand the part about “only one player per account” tidbit (even though I’m slow, I’m still too quick in posting), though I’m glad for split-screen co-op.

MrSignal said:

April 13th, 1:54 pm

Well, if a friend had your code, you could still play with them cross-system.

Seeing as the code just unlocks the pc/mac version.

Otherwise, looking forward to giving it a go. Everyone else, check out the portal tech videos.

digitalman123 said:

April 13th, 2:12 pm

Awesomes! This game looks great!
Cross-game chat coming?

crunchmonkey said:

April 13th, 2:14 pm

Does the PS3 version have keyboard and mouse support?

BossmanCCrowder1 said:

April 13th, 2:31 pm

I can’t wait to play with my friend who has a really good PC. This is great, thanks Valve!

Stoffinator said:

April 13th, 2:50 pm

Pleeeeeease bring the Left 4 Dead games to the PS3 with Steam support.

KazeEternal said:

April 13th, 3:22 pm

So I can earn PS3 trophies for Portal 2 with my PC?

Rick1220 said:

April 13th, 3:27 pm

Wow this is going to be great! Got the game pre-ordered on Amazon!

ABRipperXX said:

April 13th, 4:02 pm

Looks awesome guys! PS3 rocks! How long will the campaign be?

Lapwner said:

April 13th, 4:04 pm

Sounds awesome!

However, I’m kind of broke right now and I probably won’t be able to get Portal 2 right away. Is there any way to link your Steam account with your PSN ID without the use of Portal 2? So I could play other games while signed in both under Steam and the PSN?

Also, I hope that Valve releases Left 4 Dead on PS3. They could do a Left 4 Dead Collection (both games on 1 disc) with all the DLC included and steam support….that would be amazing.

BLipp17 said:

April 13th, 4:05 pm

pretty awesome. at college everyone is always like “im getting portal 2 for PC, its the only way to play it” and i have to keep on telling them to get the PS3 version, since its basically get 2 games for the price of 1

xCaliberr said:

April 13th, 4:28 pm

Steam<PSN
Steam on my ps3 is epic

wocyob said:

April 13th, 4:48 pm

What about trophies… like let say i get the ps3 version and i hope on my pc so since im downloading some demos on my ps3… what happens when i get an achievement on the pc but not on my ps3.. will i be able to get it once i log back in my ps3 or will i have to do it again but this time on the ps3?

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

April 13th, 5:17 pm

Hi Valve, you’re so freaking awesome, I’m backlogged now with my games but I will get Portal 2 and show my support.

Please give us a Left 4 Dead Collection (1+2) with Steam support. I’ll love you forever. <3

NotoriousGamer said:

April 13th, 5:22 pm

So u dont play as the girl from Portal 1???

sindiewen said:

April 13th, 5:26 pm

The only reason I didnt preorder the PC version is because of the PS3 version. Getting a free copy of Portal 2 on the PC is an amazing deal.

Really cannot wait to try the whole steam intergration. Which actualy I have a question: Can you be logged into Steam on the PS3 and also be logged into Steam on your computer at the same time?

Berae said:

April 13th, 6:28 pm

Cant wait for that game! MK9 and Portal 2 in few days!

Chuckbait said:

April 13th, 7:04 pm

Steam on PS3? Crazy. I remember when steam first came out…. Counter Strike baby

lockster246 said:

April 13th, 7:18 pm

OMG!! I pre-order Portal 2 for PC already!!! For 80$ and now i find out that you can play on ps3 and pc if you have a ps3 verson omg…

Little_BombA said:

April 13th, 8:10 pm

I want Portal 1 and Team Fortress in PSN

SHINSPIKES said:

April 13th, 8:21 pm

Meh, I was hopin for cross chat from my pc to friends ps3. But since the ps3 can’t do their own, guess steam can’t do it on a weak console. Oh yeah, thanks for the ylod sony.

phatmillips said:

April 13th, 8:26 pm

I was on the fence about this but now I’m sold, well done valve

theultimatenub said:

April 13th, 9:16 pm

This game is awesome I cannot wait to buy it

Amans91 said:

April 13th, 9:54 pm

this is awesome, I will be able to play with some of my friends who play on Steam, on their overpowered PC monsters!!!!!! lol

unbornsoldier said:

April 13th, 10:21 pm

hopefully this means steam is coming to ps3 i would buy so many games from steam specially at there cheap prices

LordRaoh said:

April 13th, 10:37 pm

Can’t wait, pre ordered my copy with amazon.com.

Up next for Valve and the PS3???

Half Life 2: Episode 3?

Left for dead?

Orange Box Re-Release?

Counter Strike?

Any chance of receiving Steam services when not playing Portal 2 but across PSN?

DarkOne_PR said:

April 13th, 11:47 pm

PLS this is important to get answer! As soon as we get our accounts linked with Steam, can we buy the games at valve store and play them on our ps3s?!!! Im dying to get L4D on PS3! C,mon VALVE make it happen!

donte1337 said:

April 14th, 12:10 am

any chance Left 4 dead 1 and 2 can be released on PS3 with similar steam integration for PS3?

silverthehedgeh said:

April 14th, 1:42 am

i did a deal with a getting a bundle and it said i would get a code for a skin, i was wondering if this skin can be on my ps3 as well or is it pc only

Twinkling82 said:

April 14th, 2:05 am

Lolsa1, yes you can give a Portal 2 gift via Steam – there’s even a double pack offer as pre-order bonus. It should be pretty straight forward, though I have never tried buying more copies of one game or give any codes out.

KainDrake said:

April 14th, 2:09 am

It just hit me that this game being saved on the steam cloud is probably the reason cloud saving came to the psn (for plus memebers).

I’m just curious, unlocking a trophy on the ps3 also unlocks the steam achievement, but the vice-versa isn’t true; unlocking a steam achievement doesn’t unlock the psn trophy. Why is that?

DjCircle said:

April 14th, 4:28 am

Cant wait for this game, its been to long. Wheres Half-Life 2 Episode 3?

Rhez said:

April 14th, 4:56 am

I first heard about the cross platform gaming from the Qore interview. The moment Veronica Belmont said it I had to rewind and listen again. Even then I was like; “WHAT!?” I couldn’t believe my ears. I still can’t believe this is real.

This expands the player base by a huge factor and makes their online community potentially bigger than any other game on the PS3. I really hope this works out for Valve and Sony and becomes a model for future titles integrating cross platform gaming. I know so many people who buy games on a particular system because that is where their friends play regardless of their actual preference for gaming. With PC and PS3 being integrated like this both platforms can benefit.

Lugoves said:

April 14th, 5:37 am

For those who haven’t pre ordered, Amazon is offering a $20 video game credit , I ordered my copy 1/19/2011… check it out – If I’m allowed to post the link I will … http://amzn.to/fXB6ux