Knack 2

Apr 15

Apr 15

It Only Does Tactical Strategy—with a Twist

Scott Steinberg's Avatar Posted by VP of Product Marketing

The first half of 2011 is proving to be an exciting one for PlayStation fans in North America. We’re only half-way through April and already we’ve launched blockbuster titles including Killzone 3 and MLB 11 The Show. These games give gamers the chance to experience gaming at its best, utilizing both stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move, while also proving that it is possible to create motion-control games for core gamers to enjoy. Next Tuesday we go one step further when SOCOM 4: US NAVY SEALs hits store shelves. To kick off this exciting launch we’ve brought together Kevin Butler and some real US Navy SEALs, to give us a few pointers on what it takes to succeed under fire in SOCOM 4.

• Brewers vs. Phillies – ESPN (4/18)
  • Dodgers vs. Cubs – TBS (4/24)
  • NBA Playoffs – ESPN & ESPN 2
  • Top Shot Season Final – History Channel
  • The Ultimate Fighter, UFC Greatest Moments and UFC Unleashed – Spike
  • Modern Sniper, Special ops Mission, Surviving the Cut, Weaponology, Ultimate Weapons and Tank School – Military Channel

When SOCOM 4 officially launches next Tuesday, April 19th, you and your friends can jump into the action in any one of several exciting new modes including the all new 5-player co-op mode and bomb squad multi-player modes. For those die-hard fans eager to take the SOCOM 4 experience up a few notches the SOCOM 4: US NAVY SEALs Full Deployment Edition will also become available next Tuesday.

The Full Deployment Edition includes a copy of PlayStation SOCOM 4 U.S. Navy SEALs, a PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Move navigation controller, PlayStation Eye camera and the wildly popular PlayStation Move sharp shooter, giving fans multiple ways to experience the authentic tactical combat of SOCOM 4—all for $149.99. When paired with the PlayStation Sharp Shooter and stereoscopic 3D, SOCOM 4 promises to put you on the battle front with the most immersive and realistic experiences available—so realistic in fact, we recommend choosing your team-members wisely. After all, you’re only as strong as your weakest link.

Add Your Own

LilWayneSuckz said:

April 15th, 6:25 am

All hail Kevin Butler!

I can’t wait for the “Infamous 2” promos, for the love of everything Sony please advertise that game on all the major networks!

StuntF50 said:

April 15th, 6:27 am

Don’t worry, Butler. I’m sure you’re not THAT bad.

LovesJapanManga said:

April 15th, 6:27 am

Why did you decide NOT TO INCLUDE CLOSED-CAPTION (Or preferably, OPEN-CAPTIONED) OR SUBTITLE FOR THESE COMMERCIALS??? ARE WE LEFT OUT BECAUSE IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR YOU TO COMMERCIALIZE WITH C.C. OR SUBTITLE? WHAT A SHAME!

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

April 15th, 6:28 am

SOCOM 4 and MORTAL KOMBAT DAY 1..ooh and FIRST!

remanutd5 said:

April 15th, 6:34 am

nice, now give us Motorstorm Apocalypse release date

FATHASUN said:

April 15th, 6:34 am

ESPN… Isn’t that network featured on the other console? I wonder if they even have commercials. If so would the competitions exclusive game be censored. I would imagine so. Just a thought. Anyway… KB strikes again.

tinycpw91 said:

April 15th, 6:34 am

what does he say at the end? sounds like a certain early 1940’s german leader…..hmm

jazzyrider said:

April 15th, 6:37 am

Another VP comedy classic of KB! Love the pretzel and donut hanging from his bulletproof vest.

TheGuardianFID said:

April 15th, 6:37 am

LOL it’s OK KB it’s OK, I suck too, OK not really!!! 8P 8)

Gskyace said:

April 15th, 6:38 am

I believe Segt.Kevin Butler can do CQC.

jazzyrider said:

April 15th, 6:40 am

@5 tinycpw91– The soldier says “Butler”.

Korbei83 said:

April 15th, 6:57 am

@3

It’s a video, if it’s captioned for you, it’s captioned for everyone.

loadstone007 said:

April 15th, 7:06 am

Love the ad, but not the game. It seems like this franchise will remain for all eternity mediocre.

Butters360 said:

April 15th, 7:10 am

That LBV was gamer approved. I need one like that.

TheLastNinja- said:

April 15th, 7:34 am

“Fans of Reno 911! Miami can catch this ad on Comedy Central when it first airs today at 2:15PM Eastern and Pacific time. Additionally, in the coming weeks you’ll see Kevin Butler joined by his U.S. Navy SEALs team during some of the most exciting sporting events and TV programming of the spring including:

* Brewers vs. Phillies – ESPN (4/18)
* Dodgers vs. Cubs – TBS (4/24)
* NBA Playoffs – ESPN & ESPN 2
* Top Shot Season Final – History Channel
* The Ultimate Fighter, UFC Greatest Moments and UFC Unleashed – Spike
* Modern Sniper, Special ops Mission, Surviving the Cut, Weaponology, Ultimate Weapons and Tank School – Military Channel

If only MAG got the same amount of advertising power. :(

LightAce said:

April 15th, 7:45 am

Awesome ad but so confused on what to get KZ3, SOCOM, or Motorstorm. Too many options

Smooth423 said:

April 15th, 7:53 am

I vote Kevin Butler to Host for PS3 @ E3 this year. Your like a smart Steve Martin. Keep up the great work.

drunk_vader said:

April 15th, 7:55 am

Haha, that was awesome!!!

Cat_Corye said:

April 15th, 8:36 am

Oh sorry Kevin Butler, that was mean lol but funny.

Partnur said:

April 15th, 9:15 am

LOL! Seriously though, SOCOM 4 rocks with teamwork!

AguilarX said:

April 15th, 9:32 am

EBick ad! still not sold on socom though. really thought this was positioned to be a AAA title.

Mattsta001 said:

April 15th, 9:48 am

Socom 4 is currently 69 on Metacritic. Doesn’t seem that good. Not sure the ad works either as KB makes the Move peripherals look pretty silly while Socom is pretty hardcore. Good to see some gameplay in there though. A real shame Socom does not have 4 player campaign co-op. Zipper and Sony really missed a trick there as it could have been THE game to pick up for a co-op experience on PS3.

NeonReaver said:

April 15th, 9:52 am

Butler is wearing thin and it doesn’t help that you guys are still trying to push the Move crap. Anytime you add the Move to an add it makes it instantly less funny or good.

Robbie_G_lrish said:

April 15th, 10:44 am

At first glance I always think Scott Steinburg’s picture looks like Mel Gibson.

TallCrowe said:

April 15th, 11:03 am

When you said “It only does tactical strategy” I thought you were going to be talking about Disgaea 4.

JoeDuke4 said:

April 15th, 11:50 am

Please make a discount when you buy any Sony published exclusive you get 30% off another exclusive. This would minimize competition within first party games, and prevent people from having to choose ps3 games!
I want to get Socom 4 and MS:A aswell as a few others i have yet to pick up and a special discount for ps3 games would really help!

cell989 said:

April 15th, 11:50 am

another win!!!! I cant wait to see theis years KB e3 presentation, last year’s was epic!!!

thrawn3d said:

April 15th, 12:35 pm

If only the game turned out to be as good as this commercial. :p

Jimmy_Cosmos said:

April 15th, 1:14 pm

Why does this dude have a mel gibson icon?

Surfaced said:

April 15th, 1:20 pm

Shame Zipper can’t get their stuff together… how long will it be until we have another phenomenal game from them, like SOCOM II was?

SpeedRacer1955 said:

April 15th, 4:23 pm

@JoeDuke4: Check out Amazon they do a $10 or $20 purchase credit on future games if you pre-order specific titles. I do that and I was able to reduce my cost for the Full Deployment Bundle by $20, I did that with White Knight Chronicles when I pre-ordered MAG I got a $20 credit good for one year from date of purchase..

I would think that the “War Games” genre would be getting a little tired by now and I think it is at least getting crowded with MP titles.

But I would like to see more bundle options from Sony and Devs.

And what I would like Zipper to clarify is, with newer Passive 3D TV’s coming from LG, Vizio (LG Panel) will the 3D technology inside SoCom support Passive TV’s??? And if they have tested it is it as good as the Active Shutter version. And if Toshiba makes it happen Glasses Free 3D in 2012.

Basindo said:

April 15th, 4:57 pm

Mattsta001 – “Socom 4 is currently 69 on Metacritic.”

For the love of… stop going by reviews. Reviewers are stating their OPINIONS on the game. They are not perfect and you do not have to follow whatever they say. And how can you look at this game “as a 60 or 70” when a couple reviewers give it a 90 and then one reviewer gives it a 3/10! THAT IS PROOF REVIEWS SHOULD NOT DICTATE WHETHER TO BUY A GAME OR NOT!

Look at Modern Warfare 2. That game got at least a 9-10 by like 100 reviewers and THE GAME IS COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE. I would rather play 10 bad movie games like Iron Man than MW2!!!

Please guys. Stop doing that, do not go by reviews. TRY THE GAME.

Here everyone and I mean everyone should watch this video…

[DELETED]

DO NOT let reviewers say whether you should buy, rent, or skip a game. Try the game…

And to JoeDuke4- I completely agree. Even if it was small like 15% or 20% it would make me buy games like Socom, Motorstorm, Infamous, Resistance, Uncharted, Killzone, Twisted Metal, etc even more even though I want all of those games. Seriously there’s way too many exclusives this year and I have to cut some off because I can’t afford all the games.

jose213jose said:

April 15th, 5:14 pm

i can do alot better then KB, replace him with me bang. XD

XenoNative said:

April 15th, 10:14 pm

was that a pretzel i saw… what was he goin to do with that, LOL. Classic.

guitarpete987 said:

April 16th, 9:01 am

Who says this isn’t an AAA title? I stopped relying on game critics long ago. The game is not quite SOCOM II good, but based on what I played of the beta, it is fantastic.

I’m pretty sure Zipper will continue to improve the game, also.

jose213jose said:

April 16th, 5:23 pm

We need to spread the word to all psn user & sony & sony fans

jose213jose said:

April 16th, 5:24 pm

socom 4 is cool & hope to get it this week or so if i can.

silversurfer7845 said:

April 17th, 3:21 am

Those Move peripherals make him look like a child with plastic toys who’s about to play cops and robbers. It actually makes me NOT want to buy the move, because the “plastic toy” look of it does not seem to match the supposed hardcore nature of a game like SOCOM…

RyuuSkyez said: