Overwatch

Jun 20

Jun 20

Killzone 3 From the Ashes Pack: The Retro Maps

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar Posted by Producer, Guerrilla Games

Last week we posted preview videos of the first two maps from “From The Ashes”, the third DLC pack for Killzone 3. Today we’re offering preview videos of the other two maps included with the pack: Tharsis Depot and Radec Academy. If these names sound familiar, it’s because they’re re-imagined and revamped versions of the beloved Killzone 2 maps.

The first preview video features Tharsis Depot, a Guerrilla Warfare map for 16 players based on the Killzone 2 classic. After incurring damage during the ISA invasion of Helghan, the depot has been converted to process nuclear Petrusite. The Helghast made extensive use of jetpacks to facilitate the reconstruction process, but the harsh conditions resulting from the damage still made it a grueling endeavor. The ISA have locked their sights on Tharsis Depot now that it’s back in full-scale production, and this time they intend to finish the job they started.

To give you a sense of what’s changed, this video shows comparisons of the original and the new version:

The second video shows the new version of Radec Academy, a Warzone map for 24 players. Devastated by the ongoing struggle between ISA and Helghast forces, the once-proud Radec Academy is now a ruinous shell of its former self. Although the soul of the Academy remains intact, the compound has suffered greatly, with strewn rubble and emplaced StA-3 miniguns serving as grim reminders of the fierce battles fought in the area. As the ISA forces once again push into the Academy compound, attempting to scavenge a downed MAWLR, the Helghast troops hastily fortify their defenses within its perimeter.

And this video shows comparisons of the original and the new Radec Academy:

DLC Pack 3 “From The Ashes” contains four maps and will be available from the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, June 21st for $4.99. Newcomers to Killzone 3 will be interested to learn that we’re also releasing a DLC Bundle Pack including the Retro Pack, the Steel Rain Pack and the From The Ashes Pack for just $9.99. Stay tuned to Killzone.com [LINK] and the official PlayStation.Blog, because we’ll have a montage trailer for From the Ashes Pack for you soon!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

sethchilders said:

June 20th, 10:18 am

I would have bought the map pack already with just the last two announced, but having two old maps from Killzone 2 just seals the deal for me. Keep up the good work GG!

trustter said:

June 20th, 10:20 am

Thanks GG.

You can keep bringing all the goodies from KZ2.

And please, make more night maps.

G-Force08 said:

June 20th, 10:24 am

I love how the progression of time is shown through the newer versions of the retro map packs. Radec Academy was a favorite of mine (and I’m sure many others) on KZ 2. But wow, those are massive landscape changes. I’m looking forward to playing :D

RE_Player said:

June 20th, 10:27 am

Never played Killzone 2 online so these will be new to me. So far I got the first retro map pack when I pre-ordered the game and I got the steel rain map pack for free due to plus, I owe you guys a map pack purchase and you are not making it hard with this amazing deal.

yazter said:

June 20th, 10:27 am

Wow I absolutely LOVE the changes, almost feels like two new maps. I thought it was gonna the same map but nope, definitely a welcome change that corresponds with Killzone 3’s timeline.

Tomorrow can’t come soon enough, I love Killzone 3.

letherclad said:

June 20th, 10:35 am

I’m looking forward to this, I always had a lot of fun in radec academy.

Great job GG!

devilmosh said:

June 20th, 10:38 am

Love the old with the new. Keep up the excellent work!

BZKlint said:

June 20th, 10:39 am

/۫ۗۤۖۡ۬ۢۖ۠ۢۡۚۚۤۚۘۗۙۗۚۘ۫ۢۤۡۛ۟ۢ۠۬ۗۧۡۗۛۖۖۙۜ۠۟۟

bigdaddykraven said:

June 20th, 10:40 am

Lol looking forward to seeing 100 Radec matches with no one playing any other maps soon, will remind me of KZ2 :)

ayman008 said:

June 20th, 10:43 am

Sweet but im probaly goin to stick to infamous 2 and black ops for now

rainero said:

June 20th, 10:43 am

OMG! The Radec Academy and others maps from this new DLC are justa great! I Have the other 2 DLC’s, retro and Steel Rain… looks great aready! but the only thing that keeps me sad is the short story mode… i love this game so much… and was waiting for at least 8 or 10 hours long… But this will gave me another fun way to spend my rich little money on thos PS3/Guerrilla games! CONGRATS GUYS!! ADD AS YOU WHISH: psn: “rainero” TWITTER: @rainerosantos LETS MAKE IT PERSONAL!! CLAN MODE! ALRIGHT!!!! BYE!

Jared_Helsin said:

June 20th, 10:44 am

Great deal! Very much looking forward to tomorrow :D

legendkiller08 said:

June 20th, 10:51 am

This looks nice, can’t wait till tomorrow to get this DLC.

zabelzerolp said:

June 20th, 10:51 am

It looks good i will buy the pack . Good Job GG!!

JH-FallenReaper said:

June 20th, 10:55 am

cant wait im staying up till 12 to buy and play the maps!!!thats how much people love a game!!!!

sciroccopsn said:

June 20th, 10:57 am

brings good memories :heart:

Kylote said:

June 20th, 10:58 am

Perhaps a random question, but will this be available to purchase on Amazon tomorrow as well (via Online Code). I have some leftover Amazon credit that I wouldn’t mind spending on this!

Robbie_G_lrish said:

June 20th, 11:00 am

I bought all of the map packs for Killzone 2. I’m not going to buy any of the map packs for Killzone 3 and I’ll tell you why. Attaching certain maps to certain mission types was a terrible decision. I don’t ever play Guerrilla Warfare, only Warzone and Operations. There’s barely any maps for Operations and it seems like there won’t be any new ones. When you release map packs with half the maps being for Guerilla Warfare I really don’t have any incentive to buy.

zombie9 said:

June 20th, 11:00 am

Got $5.27 in wallet yea Me!!! Mister money bags I know =)

guitarded77 said:

June 20th, 11:09 am

Can’t wait!!! Those are two of my favorite maps… the visual update to them is pretty impressive.

the_FREELANCER said:

June 20th, 11:16 am

Instant buy! Keep them coming plus Operations maps!!

ilduce620 said:

June 20th, 11:19 am

I was going to buy the pack regardless, but this is even better. I’m excited to play on these classic maps again!

blakseed said:

June 20th, 11:27 am

Excellent.

lostinplainsight said:

June 20th, 11:29 am

aww i wish i had killzone stupid responsibilities

marlyt said:

June 20th, 11:39 am

GG freaking rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja-KiLLR said:

June 20th, 11:41 am

Why Radec? that map was so over played in kz2. I want all the dlc levels from kz2 especially the train level and the retro maps from kz1. but i cant wait to buy it tomorrow.

StealthSnyper said:

June 20th, 11:46 am

Looks awesome GG! But yea, make A LOT more night time maps PLZ!!!!!

kivi95 said:

June 20th, 11:57 am

Looks awesome and great price. *PLEASE ANSWEAR THE QUESTION!!!*

Why and why can’t you guys have Guerilla warfare mode on every map????The same goes to Warzone. I can understand operation because that’s probably takes alot more time to do.

So please could you guys be so kindle to say the reason beyond why you are doing like this?

gamer_316 said:

June 20th, 12:07 pm

This is great, can’t wait to buy this pack as Radec Academy was my favorite map from KZ2 & I hope i’ll enjoy it just as much in KZ3. Great job Guerrilla Games =)

cjphase said:

June 20th, 12:24 pm

This great!!!!!! Can’t to go hard on these new….wait, OLD Maps!!! Lol! Awesome!

LJ94 said:

June 20th, 12:26 pm

Cant wait this is going to be the best map pack yet by the looks of it.

You should also consider releasing more operation maps. That would also be great fun.

MadeInBrazil__ said:

June 20th, 12:49 pm

THIS is how to bring old maps to a new game!
Radec Academy, my favorite map!

Thank you and great job GG!

williep35 said:

June 20th, 12:59 pm

Wow they really improved these maps! They look great!!!

RichieAppel said:

June 20th, 1:09 pm

Awesome I can’t wait for new Killzone maps, but they should let us choose which of the maps we want. I could care less about Guerrilla Warfare maps, I’d rather just get the Warzone maps. They should do a 3 package deal for players who don’t want all the maps. Offer a GW map pack, a WZ map pack, and all of the maps in a pack, with prices adjusted accordingly.

poodude said:

June 20th, 1:23 pm

Oh my God! The lighting looks amazing, it actually makes Killzone 2 look out dated, and Killzone 2 still looks gorgeous.

D-Roca said:

June 20th, 1:44 pm

@Jeff Rubenstein
Where is the Official Playstation App for Android and iPhone you promised us 6 months ago?

duff916 said:

June 20th, 1:45 pm

Was map rotation ever fixed? It sucked having to play the same dlc map over and over again.

ItaChu said:

June 20th, 2:38 pm

so the freezing issues are being addressed?

M-Easy said:

June 20th, 2:39 pm

Yes, map rotation was fixed. Man i barely even recognize Radec’s. Cant wait!

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

June 20th, 3:41 pm

Why don’t you add some co-op missions like Spec Ops or the ones found in Uncharted? While you’re at it, why don’t you add ONLINE co op? You know the thing EVERY OTHER shooter has in this day and age?

PoInTyNiPs said:

June 20th, 3:55 pm

loved these maps in kz3 and awesome name really suits the dlc. i haven’t played kz3 in a while so this makes up for it time to get back in that there. i hope you guys add the map from kz2 where there’s two or three bridges in like a desert type area i loved that one too and maybe some maps from killzone the original single player campaign map turned into a multiplayer map, the park where there’s aa guns and trees with pink leaves or somehing.

TheJak21 said:

June 20th, 4:46 pm

Awesome Article, but the ending only says [LINK] and doesn’t actually link to anything just FYI

IceRat23 said:

June 20th, 5:16 pm

really wish all the KZ2 retro maps were playable in Warzone mode

Mattsta001 said:

June 20th, 6:04 pm

Limiting these maps to only one mode is kind of dumb. All maps should be playable for both GW and Warzone. Really don’t understand the logic behind this. Wish GG would drop the “nuclear petrusite” stuff too, it’s cringeworthy.

leukoplast said:

June 20th, 6:44 pm

Tharsis looks pretty decent, although the fact that it is GW only and has jetpacks is a turn off. Radec looks terrible, what is your guys obsession with putting so much junk around the maps? KZ2 maps were great due to their simplicity, KZ3 maps are all basically junkyards with crap all over the place, the visual aspects of KZ3 maps are WAY too busy. It’s like the map designers try way too hard to fill in every area of the map with random ‘stuff’.

GG, instead of ruining and mutilating the old maps, why don’t you just give us the EXACT same maps we had in KZ2? These ‘retro’ maps are hardly retro when they are so unbelievably different than the originals.

SHINSPIKES said:

June 20th, 7:02 pm

This site is stupid. I tried to post a comment (my first comment) and it said I’m posting comments too fast, so they erased it. Thanks.

SHINSPIKES said:

June 20th, 7:07 pm

Hey whats wrong with the killzone.com site? Its messed up. Please release a bundle with just Steel rain and Ashes. Alot of us already have the retro map pack. Let us save some bucks.

SHINSPIKES said:

June 20th, 7:09 pm

Nevermind. Its only messed up on Internet explorer 9.

Souledge94 said: