Marvel's Spider-Man

Jul 27

Jul 27

Hands-on With LittleBigPlanet 2’s Move Pack

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

LittleBigPlanet 2 for PS3

Formally announced at PlayStation’s E3 2011 press conference, the upcoming PlayStation Move Pack for LittleBigPlanet 2 will greatly expand the game’s already prodigious creation suite and add countless new gameplay variants. Based on my hands-on time, PlayStation Move support radically evolves the gameplay possibilities of LittleBigPlanet 2, whether it’s flinging and manipulating objects using the new Brain Crane power-up, creating outlandish Move-focused minigames from scratch, or animating characters and props by recording your PlayStation Move gestures.

“It’s the biggest update we’ve ever done,” Media Molecule’s Level Design Lead Kengo Kurimoto told me during a guided tour of the update last week in New York City.

When the Move Pack hits PSN this September, LBP2 owners will find six new Story levels in a Move-focused mini-campaign that picks up where LBP2 left off. One of the most significant gameplay enhancements comes as a potent new power-up called the Brain Crane. Like a telepathic revamp of the Power Gloves, the Brain Crane enables Sackboy to pick up and manipulate objects with nothing but the power of his tiny sawdust mind. You aim the Brain Crane by aiming the PlayStation Move and grab an object by pulling the trigger. Once the object is firmly in your grasp you can tug, lift, or wrench it to your heart’s content. The Brain Crane opens up inventive gameplay opportunities: yanking open weighted gates to solve puzzles, tugging spring-loaded platforms to make high jumps, or flinging your co-op comrade into a magma pit because…well, just because.

LittleBigPlanet 2 PlayStation Move

PSB: How early in the production of LittleBigPlanet 2 did you think about PlayStation Move support?
Kengo Kurimoto, Level Design Lead, Media Molecule: “We were very aware of it. It would’ve been nice to include it in LittleBigPlanet 2 from the start, but time constraints made that difficult. So we made Sackboy’s Prehistoric Moves as well, which was a demo to show what we could do with PlayStation Move. But the LittleBigPlanet 2 Move Pack is the full shebang…It took a lot of iteration. We had so many ideas…we went through and picked the best of them for the Move pack”

Sackboy’s six-level Story is orbited by a constellation of Move-enabled minigames that leverage the Move in wildly different ways. In my favorite minigame “Fast Food,” I tilted and twisted the PlayStation Move in order to guide a ball through an elaborate maze studded with traps and gadgets. The tilt control felt vastly more responsive and consistent than similar labyrinth games I’ve played on mobile phones, while the arcadey mechanics and chirping audio made it feel like a slower-paced game of Pachinko played with one ball.

I was also impressed by “Defence Mechanism,” a simple tower defense game that leveraged the Move’s precision cursor functions. A horde of enemies slowly advanced to the center of the screen and my helpless Sackbot buddies. Using the Move, I erected electrical barriers by placing lightbulbs into sockets strewn around several enemy paths. “It gets fiendishly difficult later,” Kurimoto cautioned me…and he wasn’t kidding.

LittleBigPlanet 2 PlayStation Move

I also played a deceptively simplistic puzzle game that showed shades of Rube Goldberg called “The Tail of Claude the Field Mouse.” The goal is simple: land a ball in a cup at the bottom of the screen by moving levers, tilting platforms, and arranging other objects. In a multiplayer-focused party game, I competed with Kurimoto to line up colored squares and detonate them. After only a few minutes of gameplay, it was clear to me that the Move Pack open up quite a few new gameplay genres that wouldn’t be practical when played with an analog stick. “For these kinds of games,” Kurimoto noted, “being able to move the cursor quickly and accurately is key. And the Move is sophisticated, with a lot of sensitive sensors.”

The fan-favorite Create mode is also getting a big overhaul to tap into Move’s motion capabilities. First things first, though. Using the PlayStation Move in the Create mode won’t allow you to magically draw platforms or geometry at will — for that level of ease, you’ll have to wait for LittleBigPlanet to make its touchscreen-friendly PS Vita debut. Instead, what you’ll get is a heap of potent new tools that tap into every command that Move supports: pointing, rotating, twisting, tilting, shaking, swinging, and practically anything else you can think of.

The key lies in the Moveinator, modeled off LBP2’s Controlinator in that it enables you to assign actions to every button and function of the PS Move — buttons, tilting, pointing — using a kid-friendly visual programming style. Kurimoto demonstrated the Moveinator flexibility by building a working, steerable cardboard rocketship (complete with laser cannon!) in less than 30 seconds. “One of the most powerful things about LittleBigPlanet 2 is the intercompatibility of the tools,” Kurimoto said. “They all work with each other.”

Other details abound. A new Move Cursor gadget will make lightgun-style games a breeze to design, the Move Recorder function enables you to record a gesture and apply it to any object (digital puppeteering, anyone?), and a Sticker Creator mode turns your Move into a paint brush for designing custom art.

After my demo ended, I was left with the feeling that I had only scratched the surface of what will be possible with LBP2’s Move Pack when it hits PSN this September. What new feature are you most interested in experimenting with? Leave your top picks in the comments!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Ethereal said:

July 27th, 10:33 am

Sweet!

zaca21 said:

July 27th, 10:36 am

sweet second comment
does ayone know if where going to see more vita stuff

SuperGlitchPro said:

July 27th, 10:38 am

Freakin sweet! This will be awesome.

MakoSOLIDER said:

July 27th, 10:39 am

third!
Are there trophies for this pack?

gutcorral said:

July 27th, 10:40 am

Will the pack include trophies?

Seahawk313 said:

July 27th, 10:41 am

Can’t wait for this, and the toy story pack:) trophies?

EBjak said:

July 27th, 10:42 am

awesomeee!!!! :D

PhantomOfPanton said:

July 27th, 10:44 am

Question, will we ever be able to import the costumes from “Sackboy’s Prehistoric Moves” into Little Big Planet 2?
It would be incredibly awesome if we could, the SPMoves costumes are just so great! It would be a shame to have them never to LBP2 :(
Perhaps the stickers and decorations as well :3

Can’t wait to get this move pack :D

Lapwner said:

July 27th, 10:45 am

I don’t have the move, but hopefully this will be free. I’m rather mad at how many games nowadays are eating away at our wallets with masses of DLC that will cost you a fortune…*cough* Black Ops *cough*

PhantomOfPanton said:

July 27th, 10:48 am

And everyone…use your common sense…It is a level pack, and the biggest update they’ve ever done. I’m 110% that there are trophies, just by using my own logic. You can use yours too :P

johnjeff311 said:

July 27th, 10:51 am

will there be a function in the moveinator to track the controllers position? IE: a level where you have to move the controller in 1:1 to dodge rockets?

jstepp2 said:

July 27th, 10:51 am

Cool. This might actually convince me to buy a PS Move!

JLP_M said:

July 27th, 10:53 am

About time!

SpeedRacer1955 said:

July 27th, 10:55 am

I’m looking for more interesting game play. Hopefully they integrate the Navigator portion of the Move Controller bundle because Pre-Historic moves makes it hard for single player gameplay. And I hope that I can create levels easier…

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

July 27th, 11:27 am

Navigator is supported in Moveinator programming!

spatsnaz said:

July 27th, 10:57 am

Should be nice. Haven’t gotten a good excuse to use the Move in a while.

MrNachoz said:

July 27th, 10:58 am

It’ll probably include trophies since Sackyboy’s Prehistoric Moves did, as well as the Pirates of the Caribbean, Metal Gear Solid, and other packs did. It also seems like this is going to be the biggest pack yet. So, it’s more than likely going to have trophies.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

July 27th, 11:27 am

No confirmation on it yet, but stay tuned. We should know more details closer to September!

MRGamer01 said:

July 27th, 11:10 am

This is going to be one of the best updates ever going to touch LBP2.

DarkAkatosh said:

July 27th, 11:10 am

Hopefully this doesn’t cost an arm and a leg…

EfcJonny123 said:

July 27th, 11:16 am

@DarkAkatosh This update is FREE! Everything is free in this update! :D

plaztiksyke said:

July 27th, 11:26 am

Any graphical updates in the patch?

or improvements to the quality of audio encoding we record for custom levels?

Chase167 said:

July 27th, 11:27 am

any new trophies?

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

July 27th, 11:38 am

This is cool. My Nav controller came with a dud battery but I didn’t realize it wasn’t normal til yesterday. I can fully charge it and not use it, 7 days later it’s completely dead. Help!

Kirkpad said:

July 27th, 11:46 am

@19, thats what Criterion said about BIg Surf Island. Also, many of the things in LBP2 were actually promised for LBP1. Don’t be surprised if this costs money.

WelmoscaBR said:

July 27th, 11:51 am

awesome…I was waiting for this to try it.LBP is one of the best games ever made…can we have some costumes of uncharted pleaaaaaaaaaasee MM.I BEG you.

Knucklehead_McSp said:

July 27th, 11:56 am

‘Leverage’ is something to do with a lever.
What’s wrong with the words ‘use’ and ‘used’ rather than ‘leverage’ and ‘leveraged’?

lisatsunami said:

July 27th, 11:57 am

I know I’m in a tiny, but hated minority, but I just don’t enjoy LBP. I’ve only tried the demos, and the psp version, but all that constant bouncing is tiresome & annoying. And why does my sack boy’s head flop to the side, all the time?

Despite that opinion, I do think LBP has done playstation gamers a tremendous good, by kicking off this modding craze. I love it in inFAMOUS 2 & hope more devs include this feature, as well as Move compatibility, in future games.

Mr_Berger said:

July 27th, 12:17 pm

BTW, its called the Grabinators, not the Power Gloves ;)

icydogs said:

July 27th, 12:24 pm

@19, it will cost money. My guess is that it’ll cost about $5.99.

x0xave said:

July 27th, 12:29 pm

So excited for this! I’m glad the MM is taking there time to make it work! I love LBP2, PLay it almost every day, if not 5 times a week! One of the hardcore fans, like GaGa!

b00kthree said:

July 27th, 12:31 pm

“Using the PlayStation Move in the Create mode won’t allow you to magically draw platforms or geometry at will — for that level of ease, you’ll have to wait for LittleBigPlanet to make its touchscreen-friendly PS Vita debut. ”

You’ve got to be kidding me. Use of the move to create levels was the whole reason the update was on the verge of pushing me to buy LBP2. And you’re tying it to Vita? If there’s a technical reason for that, you’d do well to explain it rather than let me assume this crippling is a cheap marketing ploy.

I wouldn’t buy a vita for this feature. I would buy LBP2 for it, though.

lasj_cps said:

July 27th, 12:47 pm

Hello!

digitalman123 said:

July 27th, 12:55 pm

This should be awesome!

gamepro300 said:

July 27th, 1:25 pm

I kinda agree with what #30 is saying. I was really hoping for the feature to draw platforms with my move controller. Regardless, I will still be getting this pack because there are even better features to be had. One little hiccup won’t stop me from getting this. I can FINALLY but my move to some use. :)

Delta-16 said:

July 27th, 1:42 pm

Price?

killa1b91 said:

July 27th, 1:54 pm

Y’all just forgot about LBP1. I’m sure this could be a compatible update seeing the Prehistoric Moves is just like LBP1 with PSMove compatibility.

Especially with a load of new adoptors thanks to the welcome back package, you’d think it’d be more supported. I’ve noticed the community is full of copies. I literally played the exact same level by seperate “authors” 5 times with a friend. It’s funny how people get so lazy as to not change the icon at least.

I have the playstation move, but I take time to create plenty levels and they don’t get played at all because people are consumed by the copies out there.

I would suggest this game showcase levels that AREN’T copies. There should be a way to tell if it’s copied or not.

LBP1 community is dead and very unoriginal.

Tiax1 said:

July 27th, 2:00 pm

This has me excited to pop LBP2 back in my PS3. Its been tough to get around to checking out all the great levels with all these new games and betas, but the addition of move-based mini games will mean that LBP2 will be staying in my PS3 for a long time!

abbasman47 said:

July 27th, 2:00 pm

at E3 2011, i think inFAMOUS 2 PS MOVE pack was also announced, right?, if so any news or information about that, and when will be released?

zekececil14 said:

July 27th, 2:07 pm

I actually hope it doesn’t add trophies. I hate when a game gets DLC and adds trophies, then you have to acquire those extra trophies to get the platinum. The new trophies that come with DLC should be excluded from being required to get the platinum.

zekececil14 said:

July 27th, 2:10 pm

Please play my puzzle level “Light ‘Em Up (READ DESCRIPTION)”

You control a cursor and there are 9 squares.You have to click to light them all up. You might remember this puzzle as a lock in Resident Evil.

JWSThree said:

July 27th, 2:46 pm

Wish I could afford Move and LBP2 because sounds like great stuff.

EggySong85 said:

July 27th, 3:04 pm

How accurate is the pointer control? Is it hardcore point-to-aim accurate or casual general proximity accurate? Does this vary on the minigame and will you need to recalibrate every time you go into a new level?

Motherboop said:

July 27th, 3:13 pm

Lots of trophy support please! Feel free to make it a separate game like prehistoric moves, and give the content a platinum >>> I guarantee huge sales, period.

kt72493 said:

July 27th, 3:20 pm

man cant wait i love little big planet and i can wait for the pack

killa1b91 said:

July 27th, 3:27 pm

@38 FAIL, DLC trophies aren’t required for a plat. They’re just extra trophies. Such as Borderlands, I have the platinum, but still don’t have all the DLC trophies. As for Burnout Paradise, LBP1, MAG, and plenty of other games. Get your faqs straight before looking like an idiot posting ignorant comments.

DarkAkatosh said:

July 27th, 3:29 pm

@ EfcJonny123…do you have a source?

marlyt said:

July 27th, 3:37 pm

Can we use the navigation controller and move wand, unlike Prehistoric? If you’ve already addressed this I apologize for asking. I’m most looking forward to create mode with move since I lack creativity. This will undoubtedly oipen new avenues for me.

marlyt said:

July 27th, 3:39 pm

Nevermind I read your reply to #14. I’m a space waster!!!!

NeoRaidenX said:

July 27th, 4:26 pm

Well, that’s lame. No move create geometry draw support? WTF, I was pretty sure this was promised before? along with mouse and keyboard support. What happened?

aquastorm said:

July 27th, 4:27 pm

THE MAIN REASON THE XBOX 360 AND XBOX LIVE KEEP KICKING SONYS BUTT IN SALES AND POPULARITY?

THE LACK OF CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT AND A PARTY SYSTEM ON THE PS3!!!!!!

WHEN WILL SONY STOP IGNORING THE FACTS AND RESCUE THE PS3 FROM AN EARLY DEMISE BY IMPLEMENTING THESE MISSING CRUCIAL COMMUNITY FEATURES?

IS CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT NOT POSSIBLE ON THE PS3? WHY DON’T YOU COME CLEAN WITH THE COMMUNITY SONY AND ADDRESS THIS GIGANTIC PINK ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM?

JorgeRampage said:

July 27th, 4:29 pm

i know this isnt the game im going to talk about but what is wrong with gta 4 im losing money in online

PAGE 1 2