Final Fantasy XV

Aug 05

Aug 05

PSN PLAY Delivers Action Games with Special Bonuses

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar Posted by Director, Digital Distribution

We’re excited to introduce a new PlayStation Network event: PLAY. PLAY is a brand-new annual program, where we’re bringing you four of the season’s hottest PlayStation Network action titles. With every purchase of a PLAY title in the PlayStation Store throughout the duration of the program, you’ll receive a separate piece of DLC for each game, plus a new theme with every pre-order. If these incentives aren’t enough, if you’re 18 years or older and purchase all four PLAY titles in the PlayStation Store, you’ll get a voucher code for PAYDAY: The Heist as a bonus gift. And, PlayStation Plus subscribers will get an automatic 20% off every purchase.

Pre-orders will be available for all four PLAY titles starting next week on August 9 in the PlayStation Store. Remember, in order to qualify to receive PAYDAY: The Heist as a bonus gift, your purchases must be made by September 19, 2011.

PR_PSN_PLAY_BANNER_5games

PlayStation Network PLAY is going to be an annual program. Here is the 2011 line-up:

August 23: The PLAY program kicks off with Capcom’s highly-anticipated Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition, available to pre-order through August 18, 2011. This action-fighting title features 20 playable characters, HD graphics, more than 200 pieces of unlockable content, more than 100 trials and more than 100 challenges When Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will be able to unlock GILL, the self-proclaimed god, without having to beat the game with every character, as day-one DLC. All pre-orders will also receive a Capcom-produced theme. Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition will be $14.99.

August 30: Hothead Studios’ The Baconing will be available to pre-order through August 25, 2011. This action-RPG title is the third in the popular DeathSpank series. Attempt to defeat the Anti-Spank and his army of Cyborques, before they cast an evil shadow over Spanktopia. Discover exciting new worlds and battle hordes of enemies as you search to unlock the secret within the Fires of Bacon. When The Baconing is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will receive an additional co-op character, Roesha – One Bad Mutha. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. The Baconing will be $14.99.

September 6: Majesco Entertainment’s BloodRayne: Betrayal will be available to pre-order through September 1, 2011. This 2D side-scrolling platformer features 15 bloodthirsty levels where Rayne attempts to infiltrate a treacherous castle, take out a fiendish horde and stop an evil vampire massacre. When BloodRayne: Betrayal is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will receive a BloodRayne: Betrayal virtual item for their PlayStation Home avatar and an exclusive dynamic theme. In addition, all pre-orders will also receive a static theme exclusive to PLAY. BloodRayne: Betrayal will be $14.99.

September 13: The SEGA title Renegade Ops will be available to pre-order through September 8, 2011.This top-down, driving shooter from SEGA features a huge variety of vehicles, guns and endless enemies. The game features Sandbox-style missions, so there are many different ways to play. When Renegade Ops is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a Vehicle & Character Pack with two new vehicles and special weapons. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. Renegade Ops will be $14.99.

Bonus gift: PAYDAY: The Heist. This gritty, first-person shooter from Sony Online Entertainment lets players take on the role of a hardened career criminal executing intense, dynamic heists in constant pursuit of the next “big score.” A voucher code for PAYDAY: The Heist will be provided as a bonus gift to PSN users 18 years and older that purchased all four PLAY titles, for redemption when the game releases. The game can also be pre-ordered separately starting September 20, 2011, and all pre-orders will receive a static theme. PAYDAY: The Heist will be $19.99.

What gamer doesn’t want to get more action? Get ready because PlayStation Network PLAY pre-orders start next Tuesday, August 9.

Add Your Own

hush404 said:

August 5th, 4:41 pm

That’s very kewl. Mostly because I planned on buying 3/4 of the titles anyways, so why not get the 4th and then qualify for a free game? :D

NightHawk479 said:

August 5th, 4:46 pm

Bloodrayne has been delayed until October 5th now. Any idea on what could be taking its place?

Sevyne said:

August 5th, 4:55 pm

Already planned on grabbing a few of these games so I’m quite happy to see this bit of news.

Rorek_IronBlood said:

August 5th, 5:05 pm

@Morgan Haro,

Hmmm. Well, thank you very much for clearing that confussion of mine and other’s up. I’ll be honest and say that this is certainly something I can aprove of and get behind. I’ll be sure to at the very least spread word around my friends and to those unable to or unwilling to look up PlayStation news by Sony. I hope in the future that you and I can have much larger and in-depth discussions though.

For now? I’ll just say good job to you, Mr. Haro, and the staff behind this delightful gem of an oppurtunity. Still. I hope that you atleast add into the context for everyone to know that it will be without any confussion “free” and to all of the general populace within PlayStation Network (and also to those of us without a PlayStation Plus subscrition.)

Thank you.

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:28 pm

Thanks, yeah, we’ll be talking about this quite a bit going forward, and I’m noting some of the things that people have questions on so hopefully we can make any unclear items clear to everyone.

ToxicKookie said:

August 5th, 5:24 pm

Morgan, so will these preorders deduct the funds from my wallet upon release, or upon ordering? I will never have a creditcard bound to my account again, and now purchase PSN cards for my DLC. What happens if I don’t have enough funds at the time of release?

All around, this seems like a great deal, and I will likely be getting the Baconing and Blood Rayne, but would like to know what I’m getting into before getting into it.

Thanks.

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:30 pm

I believe that you pay for the title as a full price item when you preorder so you’re ready to go once it releases. So you should be able to use a PSN Card, add funds to your wallet, and get the stuff you want. Hope that helps!

Ryfael said:

August 5th, 5:26 pm

How can people not understand the deal. It is just like the other console’s summer sale except with discounts for the PS+ faithful. I just need more good press on the other games that are not Street Fighter 3.

JakeRuiner said:

August 5th, 5:29 pm

So many people have PLUS…it makes me feel left out….lol

Out of all the games listed I’m only going for Deathspank the baconing. Those games are hilarious and fun to play! The others are alright. Also why would we pre-order? It makes very little sense from a consumers standpoint. The main reason why I pre-order is to ensure I get my copy (even though I’ve never heard of a game selling out 1st day) another reason would be the pre-order goodies, but since this is PSN, you have to download everytime you buy so why would I pre-order if I KNOW that it will NEVER sell out? Silly if you think about it, but I guess it must help the developers in some way. Anyone know how?

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:33 pm

Pre-ordering is more the fans of the game. Definitely don’t have to pre-order in order to get the free content, (just buy all 4 before 9/19/11) but you get a free static theme for the game that you love, just by pre-ordering. And yeah, the devs like it too =)

CaptenMidnite said:

August 5th, 5:31 pm

bloodrayne looks awesome. im getting it

Mattsta001 said:

August 5th, 5:51 pm

It’s good that this is finally coming to PSN, albeit a couple of years late as it has been on XBLA for ages. One thing I’d suggest is shifting it back to the start of the summer lull, June/July and focusing on quality exclusives, especially Pub fund games.

DaMann22 said:

August 5th, 6:48 pm

Looks like a great deal but sorry im not into any of those games. Yet please do this often and you will have my money. PLUS!!!

Kajax said:

August 5th, 7:14 pm

Way dont add cross game chat to PSN+?

For now I think PSN+ is really bad, and will absolutely not buy PSN+ as it is now. But if you add cross game chat, i would start to subscribe directly, and probably many more.

It would really help to communicate while playing. Having to pause every time you receive a message is very annoying.

Your slogan is “It only does everything” it sould be “It only does everything but not cross voice chat”

TuttiCicero said:

August 5th, 7:17 pm

Do PS+ subscribers get the discount regardless of how many games they purchase or is this discount only if we purchase all 4?

If it is a 20% discount regardless of the amount we purchase – kudos.

Otherwise, I’ll definitely be passing on most of these & simply wait for PS+ to pick them up as a discount one Tuesday.

This program is a nice idea but somewhat useless to people who find it hard to justify paying $60 just to get somethings for free we really couldn’t care less about. I have no use for PS Home items and I obviously have Dynamic themes – what would I want a static theme for?

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 7th, 1:13 pm

The Plus discount applies to any of them; no need to buy all 4 to get it

JG4Horrorshow said:

August 5th, 7:20 pm

This doesn’t compare with Xbox’s download titles this summer.

Amans91 said:

August 5th, 7:22 pm

sounds pretty cool, cant wait for Street Fighter 3 :D

informer said:

August 5th, 7:46 pm

It’s great to see some promotions, especially the 20% off for Playstation Plus members. I’ll definitely be taking advantage of this as soon as it’s available.

I have to reiterate what other members have already stated: it would’ve been nicer if dynamic themes were included rather than static ones. Nonetheless, I’m looking forward to great deals like this in the future.

informer

theMADster said:

August 5th, 8:45 pm

I read that BloodRayne was delayed until October 6th or so. Have you heard that news also? And if so, does that mean a different game will fill the spot for BloodRayne: Betrayal?

Have a great weekend everyone!

devilmosh said:

August 5th, 9:06 pm

I’m all over this the moment they’re available for pre-order. Regarding quality, I already know I’ll like the Streetfighter game and I LOVE the first two Deathspanks so I’m sure the third won’t disappoint. Buying the other two, whether I like them or not though they sound fun, are sure to make a free $20 game worthwhile.

Count me in.

Chyegye said:

August 5th, 9:30 pm

well im DEFINITELY pre-ordering Third Strike i would LOVE to play against ppl online HD graphics tons of unlockables, as for Bloodrayne im VERY disappointed that the game is nerfed…. i was waiting for another installment from that title with 720p -1080p graphics, tons of blood (As much as Mortal Kombat 9 if not more lol) and a good amount of unlockables… but i like 2d scrolling “Beat em’ ups so ill consider purchasing it… as for the other 3 games, i have to look more into them, not sure about them… well everyone is talking about PAYDAY so its seems its a good title… maybe ill pre-order em all idk

igorrocks2 said:

August 5th, 9:52 pm

Please put prototype on sale in the PSN Store on August 9, 50% off is going to make a vast income… And HUGE RESPECT from us.
EA… Make Burnout Paradise Bundle with all of them please!
Sony is PSN Rewards is canceled completely?

Fear_Me_All said:

August 5th, 9:54 pm

so

how it work

i need to pre order all 4 game at once to get the free game heist ??

and does each of 4 game will have 20% discount for ps+ member

thx

Tonizatiga0 said:

August 5th, 10:12 pm

This kind of looks interesting to me. But 4 games. hmmmmm I shall see what awaits me in the near future about these games. :-)

Grendolai said:

August 5th, 10:15 pm

What a lame idea. The whole point of preordering games is to ensure you’ll get a copy on release day. WHY IN THE WORLD would anyone pre-order a digital download game that may suck and can’t be returned? For a static theme???? or a HOME item? or DLC which will probably be cancelled once the game tanks?

Okay, I love my PS3, but sometimes I look at their ideas for the digital store and say “whaaaaaa….?”

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:38 pm

The preordering is more for the fans of the game. Preorder it and show some love with a static theme. (although yes, Dynamic is more awesome than Static, usually!) But you can’t argue with getting a free gift with your purchase (yes the DLC will come out) where you otherwise wouldn’t. I mean..that’s just 100% benefit for the player.

Robotik1er said:

August 5th, 10:32 pm

the only one that looks interesting is PAYDAY so ill just wait until its released.
on another note i like the pluses it looks awesome!

Kidd08Ball said:

August 5th, 10:39 pm

Off subject for a minute!!! Is anyone having log in issues with playstation home? been having this problem for a week now, I would be on line for a good 30 minutes the most and get booted off when I log back on I will get an error message: “the connetion to the server was lost D5027”. I continue to reboot the system log on and it will repeat the same problem! Contacted Tech suport and they gave me a lame idea that I need a 2nd wireless port to run both playstation network and playstation home at the same time, this has never been an issue before with my enternet connection and ps3 (I even contacted my cable company to run a line check and they found no problems) . . . . . any information would help, thank you!

JDivine911 said:

August 5th, 10:47 pm

so how much is payday the heist gonna be when it comes out?

rabidninjamonky said:

August 5th, 11:49 pm

@ jdivine it says it’s $20, just read before you ask dumb questions. Half the stuff posted here are dumb questions that wouldn’t have been asked if you people would just read. Also why would you preorder 4 games that might suck, just to get a free game that might suck? Makes no sense to me.
Less dumb promotions and more ps1 classics please.

Type-F- said:

August 6th, 12:46 am

I’M GOING TO GET THEM ALL! (QUESTION* 20% only for these 4 titles Or PS+ in general?) I’m a plus member yay :D

rockinjs864 said:

August 6th, 1:07 am

only once a year? better luck next time none of these titles interests me even with the plus discount they don’t seem to interest me 25-30% off might would make me take a closer look

DOPE_KiCKS said:

August 6th, 2:08 am

Not feeling it, seems like this is another way to take our money.

BuchNasty said:

August 6th, 2:39 am

Well you got my money. I like this deal. Especially with games that have trophies :] I do hope the themes are dynamic though… I see you called them stasis which… maybe is the same thing for static as it doesn’t move which in that case. Boo cause then most people won’t even use em…

phatso64 said:

August 6th, 2:43 am

good to see a Home reward in there , would be nice if they all had 1 .

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:40 pm

I like the idea, maybe next year ; )

Apollo4x said:

August 6th, 3:19 am

Come on this is great for all the extreme action gamers but what about those of us that prefer RPGs, and please don’t say that well we have Death Spank on there. That isn’t an RPG no matter what you want to say. Come on please throw the RPG players in the crowd a bone please.

Heavenly_king said:

August 6th, 4:33 am

I am interested in the Backoning, and in the Blood Rayne game…..because they looks fun, and also I know I will get 100% trophies :D. But in SF3, I need more footage of how “HD” it looks, and also I have seen some of the trophies and I have to say even though I like Street Fighter I am not so good at it lol, so most probably no 100% (I HATE TRIALS!!!).

How about putting some dev interviews and game-play videos to promote the games the “PLAY” program is offering.?? :D

Alexx-NY said:

August 6th, 5:19 am

Now this is great news. Finally some action from Sony to combat ‘Summer of Arcade’.
But the titles could be more interesting (I am bored to death now by the millionth iteration of Street Fighter form Capcom).
As nearly all (or all) of these titles are not exclusive to PSN will they at least have an exclusive release window, or same week release on 360 as well?
If so then this is no good as all Summer of Arcade releases have to be timed exclusives.

What Sony should have done for their first PLAY event is make it a blast with irresistible – and exclusive – games!!
The Heist should have been included, as well as Journey!
THIS way Sony would get all the media attention.

But with games any 360 owner can buy anyhow, this will not happen.
Still, a step in the right direction with room for improvement!

rabidninjamonky said:

August 6th, 7:00 am

Alright I take back my last statement. It’s a cool promotion, and I checked out youtube footage of all the games and they all look great. Unfortunately I hate fighting games so street fighter is out, but pretty sure i’ll be getting bloodrayne and renegade ops and deathspank the baconing is a strong maybe. Still a little upset I couldn’t finish the last deathspank because of the reindeer muff bug. Are they ever gonna patch that game? I just want to finish it but the bug happens in the last 5 mins of the game and it can’t be completed. Costs me 2 easy silver trophies as well.

bharken said:

August 6th, 7:21 am

Please remind us when pre-ordering is on going and I’ll think about it. GJ Sony! But hoping for more games to choose from. Wouldn’t that be sweet? Instead of just 4 games, give us other options for this promo. Cheers.

antkid35 said:

August 6th, 8:03 am

thats sounds stupid and iam started to wish i got a xbox insaed of ps3 becuse PPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSNNNNN SUCKS BALLS xbox live is 10 maybe 100 times better

shankmoney7 said:

August 6th, 8:03 am

I am kinda interested i wont probaly buy all games but just one like payday heist because that looks interseting.

JLP_M said:

August 6th, 8:46 am

Playstation Blog, were complainers come to complain.

mikedo2007 said:

August 6th, 9:13 am

@1: Yep that’s what many other game sites are comparing this to.

This is a nice offer. But I don’t know how many people will go into this just to get Payday: The Heist.

PirateHarlock said:

August 6th, 10:01 am

I’m surprised nobody’s stated the obvious, this is a carbon copy of the psn plus program which is very much maligned and deservedly so. To put it simply paying for discounts is no discount. Sony must be in far worse financial straights to pull this one off. And yes it is very noticeable most of the comments are from the minority of accounts active on plus, hmmm coincidence?

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 7th, 1:17 pm

Not sure where you’re seeing the similarities to Plus…This is an event where we shine the spotlight on some awesome games, give a gift with your purchase, and hey, if you pre-order it too, you get another gift! If you’re a PS Plus member, you get another 20% off, but the event as a whole is open to all PSN members.

Vampire-Divainc said:

August 6th, 10:08 am

alright cool i’ll get them all LOL

desauce said:

August 6th, 10:43 am

Seems like a pretty good deal. Are there going to be demos for the games?

Fenrisulfr_ said:

August 6th, 11:32 am

Sony, this is why I don’t buy your stuff anymore. Here’s a clue, head on over to Steam, just for a minute, and look at their pricing. See the discounts? See the reasonable prices? That is what you need to do. Learn from a company that has saved me a bundle, has my continued patronage and HASN’T lost my personal account information.

ZalAamir said:

August 6th, 11:41 am

O.O I just reloaded $100 into my PSN account this past week…Sony, you been snooping at my account balance…? ;P

duke301 said:

August 6th, 11:45 am

This doesn’t interest me at all. I’ve stopped paying full price for games because pretty much everything goes on sale at some point. Not only that, but I really don’t have interest in any of the games being offered.

Teach1982 said:

August 6th, 11:49 am

I for one would likely buy these games, if and only if I could play the demo to try them out first.

DarkAngelKaito said:

August 6th, 12:05 pm

so I get 20% off on SF3 so is Gill the DLC? or is there more? either way I’ll still get it but i wanna know :D

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

August 8th, 4:43 pm

If you’re Plus, you get 20% off; AND you’ll get the gift with purchase which is Gill Character DLC. If you pre-order, you’ll get an SF3 theme as well. So pre-ordering is the best way to get all the goodies =)

wanderer55 said:

August 6th, 1:16 pm

About Bloodrayne delay, only the XBLA version has been delayed. The PSN version as of now is still coming early next month.

Juststeveplease said:

August 6th, 1:20 pm

“5 VID-GAMES FOR SALE YAY-YAY.”