Paragon

Aug 16

Aug 16

Live from gamescom: PlayStation 3 Now $249

Jack Tretton's Avatar Posted by President & CEO

Hello PlayStation Nation,

I have some exciting news to share with you today. As many of you know, it has been nearly five years since the PS3 first came to the U.S. market with its built in Blu-ray player, integrated hard-drive, built-in wireless, and unmatched hi-def gaming. Today, more than 50 million PS3’s have been sold worldwide, more than 2,495 Blu-ray titles are available and the PS3’s expansive portfolio of games and video content on PlayStation Network exceeds 60,000 titles.

While others in the space are losing steam, PlayStation 3 is gaining momentum and giving gamers everywhere more of what they want: an unparalleled line-up of exclusive games and access to the best in sports, movies and TV, all at a great value.

Today, I believe that value becomes even more evident. I’m excited to share with you that effective immediately at retailers throughout North America, the 160 GB PS3 and the 320GB PS3 are now available for $249 and $299, respectively. In addition, a limited edition inFAMOUS 2 bundle is now available at participating retailers across North America. The bundle retails for $299 and includes a 320 GB PlayStation 3, a copy of inFAMOUS 2 and a 30-day membership to PlayStation Plus.

The new price will make the PS3 more accessible than ever before, so there’s never been a better time to join PlayStation Nation. We know that while future-proof technology is important to you, content is still king — that’s why we continue to focus on bringing you exclusive “must have” titles that are unmatched by anything else on the market. With games like Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and one of my personal favorites, Uncharted 3, all on the horizon, there’s a lot of great entertainment in store for you.

Of course, PS3 owners also have free access to PlayStation Network and its lineup of marquee content services for watching hi-def movies, TV and sporting events. Netflix. Hulu Plus. Vudu. MLB.TV. NHL Gamecenter. We have them all for you…and it just keeps getting better.

We take our commitment to the millions of PlayStation fans out there very seriously. We don’t just want you to be part of the PlayStation Nation, we want you to be proud to be a PS3 owner. We have many exciting things planned for you in the months ahead, but suffice it to say we are hard at work to bring you more of what you want and more of what you expect. Stay tuned, there’s more to come…

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

akab211 said:

August 16th, 11:35 am

Great!!

Mercenary09 said:

August 16th, 11:36 am

Great news! Hopefully we see lots more people becoming a part of PS Nation!

Shadow-Man_4 said:

August 16th, 11:36 am

Good move!
Now, more people would get the PS3 and thus expanding PSN’s already outstanding numbers. :)

But, out of curiosity, why did you choose to price drop the PS3 to reach the Vita’s price? Now, when you compare them both, I would rather get a PS3 than a Vita for the same price..

jimmyfoxhound said:

August 16th, 11:37 am

cross voice chat gaems!!!!!!!!!!

Zezzler said:

August 16th, 11:38 am

Great timing! I was thinking of getting a ps3 now, and it looks like it was a good thing to hold out! 250 is fantastic!

xaos said:

August 16th, 11:38 am

Awesome move, though I’ve evangelized the PS3 so heavily, I think most people I know have already gotten one :)

Keep the hits coming, Jack

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

August 16th, 11:38 am

pretty nice

The-Traveler said:

August 16th, 11:38 am

Question, is that new PSP coming to America? I love the idea, since I don’t use Wifi a lot on handhelds.

Kegsy said:

August 16th, 11:39 am

oh man, I just brought a replacement PS3 like 4 weeks ago.

FATHASUN said:

August 16th, 11:41 am

PSVita for $199! Can I get a second on that?

Mobius2525 said:

August 16th, 11:41 am

what about the new PSP-E 1000?

jawara said:

August 16th, 11:42 am

Yes Im getting the infamous 2 bundle!!! Thank You sony. Hey guys add me when i activate it…

NiteVersions said:

August 16th, 11:42 am

With all the $100 gift card promotions from many retailers in the last 6 months, this really should have been a $100 price drop.

M-Easy said:

August 16th, 11:43 am

Dare I buy a 3rd PS3? I don’t even have 3 TVs.

NARDE15 said:

August 16th, 11:43 am

Two thumbs up!

igorrocks2 said:

August 16th, 11:44 am

actually I saw for a few days now “likes” on Facebook ranching about 125-150k a day… That’s crazy, nice to see PS3 entering Mature age…

seriana said:

August 16th, 11:44 am

This is awesome timing. My old PS3 died just 2 weeks ago (and I HAVE to replace it).

Any word on what the Move Bundle will cost? If I have to buy a new PS3 anyways, I was considering giving the move a shot.

StooBush said:

August 16th, 11:44 am

Sweet. Best media hub/Blu Ray player on the market at that price point. What’s that? Oh, it plays games too? Well bully for PS3!

GamerMoney said:

August 16th, 11:44 am

I suddenly need 2more ps3s :D

Ethereal said:

August 16th, 11:45 am

This is fantastic news! Here’s to an amazing year!

dragonmagician said:

August 16th, 11:45 am

Release a even slimmer PS3 next year, price cut to $199 the year after that, etc. to keep the momentum up. It will be pass 100 million in no time!!

Emerald_Swords said:

August 16th, 11:45 am

Wanted to see JackyT on the floor!

SpyDudeFX said:

August 16th, 11:46 am

Any news on Sorcery?

Kakapoopoo53 said:

August 16th, 11:46 am

Awsome im going to buy a second ps3 now xD

Trigg said:

August 16th, 11:48 am

I’m still waiting for a new model.

MaximMicheal said:

August 16th, 11:48 am

Congratulations Sony! Your GamesCon Conference was good and now with the PS3 price drop for sure will drive up sales in North America and the rest of the world. It safe to say Sony will have a amazing Xmas this year!

PhantomTroc said:

August 16th, 11:48 am

$249 is good, but that Infamous 2 bundle is spectacular. There is no reason to get the 160GB model at all. Wish it was time for me to replace my PS3.

etc860 said:

August 16th, 11:49 am

Sweet!!! Will the out of warranty repair prices be lower too?
My Blu-Ray drive died the other day.

OCxViRuXz said:

August 16th, 11:49 am

Kool… Now when are we ganna get arcade games like 360??? I hate xbox but they do have a great library of arcades… this is something i would love to see playstation do xD

stlthriot said:

August 16th, 11:49 am

I’m becoming more and more tempted to get one for my bf! =)

Loving all the co-op online and offline games! Especially ones like Dead Nation, Gatling Gears, etc. with stories and missions that you can play just like the single player game.

Nolandenny said:

August 16th, 11:50 am

nisk imma buy it now

lisatsunami said:

August 16th, 11:50 am

Huh? I bought a 160 gig PS3 on Amazon a few weeks ago for $199. I knew it was a great lightening deal, but wow, greater than I realized.

Jack, you were better than your English counterpart. Although, it was cute when he (forgot his name) found his own inside joke funny (“and now for something completely different….”) Wow, 70’s flashback, much?

Zarxce said:

August 16th, 11:51 am

I paid $399 for my PS3 and feel like it was worth every penny. Anyone who doesn’t pick one up at $250 is just plain crazy.

Kchow23 said:

August 16th, 11:51 am

PS Vita and PS3 at the same price… sounds like trouble. However, hopefully this gives the PS3 a much needed boost.

perrandy said:

August 16th, 11:53 am

this is pretty nice but i was expecting some news about a web browser update or more apps for the ps3 for that matter.also, i was pretty interested in the low budget psp since mine’s batteries are dead now….

the vita looks pretty amazing though.too bad that the pricing is a lil bit high.oh well, i shall wait for awhile before adopting the new format.

omgwtfsushi said:

August 16th, 11:55 am

wow thats 320g infamous 2 bundle i really tempting me to get a second ps3.. especially since my 7 month old 160g slim just broke out of no where.. i dont really want the refurbed one from repairs..

trinigamer101 said:

August 16th, 11:56 am

WANT THIS, Jack you make feel like a kid again, i love you man (no homo) :)

NIGHTRAVEN3 said:

August 16th, 11:57 am

Wow Sony, this is quite a surprise! I need more of my buddies on the PSN!

mastorofpuppetz said:

August 16th, 11:57 am

250 for a 6 year old console is still way too high, Xbox is 199 for its cheaper model….. No new games, XMB, PSN are outdated and desperately need updates, yet nothing. Resistance ignored, and sony wonders why its exclusives get overlooked and dont sell like xbox’s despite being great games. Sad conference.

othman55 said:

August 16th, 11:58 am

Awsome but we want a new model

altrodesi said:

August 16th, 11:58 am

Sony should make a bundle with the psVita and ps3 to advertise for transfarring and connectivity between both systems…It should be like 350 dollars.

Permafry_42 said:

August 16th, 11:59 am

“While others in the space are losing steam” lol then why is nintendo and apple still outselling the ps3? they don’t even have any new releases and they’re STILL beating Sony XD

megamixer said:

August 16th, 12:00 pm

Now that the cost of *new* PS3s has been lowered, does it still cost $150 to buy a USED PS3 system from Sony? Or will the cost of replacing my still dead console cost the same?

krashhole said:

August 16th, 12:00 pm

Awesome deal. I bought my PS3 back in Feb and love it.

Ghost-of-SpartaX said:

August 16th, 12:01 pm

Beyond!!! Playstation has done it again giving us the best value in the gaming market!!!

ArchAngelMai said:

August 16th, 12:02 pm

@40. great idea, you’re dreaming about the price though.

Had my PS3 since June 14th, 2008 MGS4 Model, so this doesn’t help me. But to those that don’t have one yet,most people I know do, this is great.

Destiny89 said:

August 16th, 12:03 pm

Amazing! tho i already got 2 PS3’s :P and if you count the one my brother own thats 3 PS3’s right there :P.. $250 is an amazing price for an amazing conosle

Rorek_IronBlood said:

August 16th, 12:03 pm

Yeah. Saw and heard about this newest price-drop. Which is a good move as we make the venture and transition from summer to autum (when we see the core of the year’s games come out and release.) However, I still feel there should be a two hundred dollar ($200.00 USD) core system. I still believe that Microsoft knows how, to market better vastly in terms of commercializing and packaging. Also considering that Sony has never once bothered to market a bundle in which includes a headset is also bothersome (again something Microsoft understood from the beginning.)

As for the news on the PlayStation Portable (without wi-fi conectivity?) Why, on this blue planet is it only going to be sold within Europe? Talk about bad marketing (or are you saying that Europe’s broadband conectivity is poor?) Still. I am heavily bothered by your lack of effort with the PlayStation Portable in terms of support in both sales, and games. So, this seems to be a “WTF” move to a lot of us. Considering the fact that you seem to have cut all support to the PlayStation Portable altogether within the last year almost.

The_Dukie85 said:

August 16th, 12:04 pm

Yes yes yes yes HECK YES!!! Consider me VERY much sold.

gravislord said:

August 16th, 12:07 pm

Comparing the 4GB XBOX 360 base model price of $199 vs the 160GB PS3 base model, and concluding the 360 is a better deal, is crazy IMO. PS3 has bigger storage and blu-ray for starters. Not bad for 50 bucks more. And then you can just pop in whatever notebook / SSD drive you want for even more storage.

PAGE 1 2 3 5